Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

We were having a clearout at work so I scored this headlight from a Jaaaaaaaaag XF that I intend on building a torch out of.

Thing is I was warned that the little silver box which appears to be a converter (12V battery to 35W@42VAC) seen to the side was dangerous and indeed the label states "Do not open" and "Death or serious injury can occur"
How dangerous is it providing I insulate it and don't open it/short it out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

angryhampster posted:

where will the fire come out

It came from a Jag so everywhere most likely

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Out of focus snaek

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

I used to follow some of the tumblr threads on here until I realised I wasn't laughing at them anymore and they were actually making me miserable.
Eventually the "haha what a nut" runs thin as the torrent of horror from that place never slows down.

It is certainty some sort of eldritch abomination

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Holdbrooks posted:

Anyone got a good recommendation for a cheap obd2 reader on Amazon.? I have the wifi one and some iPhone apps but they don't like the fiat and won't read the codes. It won't start after the tune and I'm not sure if I unplugged something or my ECU is bricked.

http://www.dx.com/p/mini-elm327-obd2-obdii-bluetooth-auto-car-diagnostic-scan-tool-12v-132202

This is what I have and it seems to work fine.
I run android rather than iOS though.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

I've also just come to terms with the fact that I'm just not that into microdicks

:getin:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Car had it's major service and no problems were found :toot:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

jammyozzy posted:

Posted my V5s and driver's license off to the DVLA a fortnight ago to have the addresses changed. Found the receipts in my wallet today and thought I'd double check they got there...

According to the tracking info the V5s are still in the post office branch. :argh: At least my license seems to have gotten there, although the person recieving has literally just signed with an 'X'.

Had the same issue when the government decided to try and take tax money I didn't owe (said I'd been on unemployment benefits during a year I was fully employed :v:)

The "X" signature can be used if the person is illiterate

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Holy poo poo you guys.

Someone made Automotive Insanity: The Video Game.

You like Mechanic Simulator? Get the gently caress out of here with your lovely bent dick. Does Mechanic Simulator let you adjust the carb? Does it let you pour coolant on the ground if you're not good at aiming? Does it make you return to your toolkit to pick out the right size of wrench? Can you run down the battery while sitting in your driveway listening to funky tunes out of your blown-out single speaker audio system? Can you drink and drive lovely Finnish beer?

Is the in-dash cigarette lighter fully simulated?

Does it motherfucking let you drive around with a backfiring carb and a missing valve cover?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0IZ_TEzg7M

"What should we do before we drive off.. ahhh I know, fender flares! [...] They are pretty loving ugly, but they are, they are part of the hobby."

http://boingboing.net/2015/04/17/i-cant-wait-for-this-finnish.html

http://www.johannesrojola.com/msc/

Contest proposal if that thing is released:

A speed run to build the car and get to the sauna with beer

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Super Aggro Crag posted:

So I think I found the culprit.

It looks like the pin corroded and broke apart. It lines up with the yellow wire. Where can I buy a replacement headlight harness? Will I have to go to the junkyard?

You could chop off the connector and put a new one if you are feeling brave about crimping without the tool

http://www.raffenday.com/150-metri-pack-female-connector-assembly-sealed-315.html?p=3

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Geirskogul posted:

That's better.

I have nothing else to do here in Cuba. Give me paint ideas.

Gulf Livery

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Spotted this in the car park across the road and having issues identifying it.
Pretty sure it's a McLaren of some sort and had thought it was an MP4-12C but the rear window is wrong for it to be that.

Any thoughts?

sorry for the super zoomed in picture from a mobile phone through a window

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Ah awesome, hadn't seen any with the roof up when googling.
Cheers Fucknag

• Locked thread