Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

kastein posted:

loving Justy threw a rod this morning. Hope it didn't destroy the balance shaft or anything else I don't have a spare of.

God drat it, it isn't even registered yet, I was just moving it from the side of the road into my yard. :argh:

Time to swap in a motorcycle engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

So I apparently let some meth heads into the building a week ago and they stole $13000 worth of stuff out of various units. Feel pretty lovely right now.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Darchangel posted:

How did that happen?

They basically followed in behind me and I didn't slam the door in their face. I'm trying not to beat myself up over it but Jesus Christ its one issue after another with this loving building.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

BraveUlysses posted:

Did they go into someone's unlocked apartment?

2 or 3 based on what I heard, they basically went around trying doors. Also people apparently were walking past them while they were smoking meth in the lobby so at least I'm not the only guilty party here.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

keykey posted:

I take it the place has security doors and such to try to minimize letting the wrong people in?

Yeah, its a condo building and the guys didn't look particularly sketchy, but in retrospect I know I hosed up.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

NitroSpazzz posted:

The M5 came with a hideous radio head unit. The rest of the stereo install is decent and will likely stay but I need a head unit that matches the rest of the car. Are there any companies that make head units that look like mid/late 80's BMW style but would function with a newer audio install? Basically I don't want a big screen, a bunch of lights and graphics.

Dunno about BMW style but blaupunkt units are the only cheap units I found that don't look ridiculous. The build quality is questionable but for a $130 you get a conservative looking head unit and Bluetooth support.

If price is no object Nakamichi used to make head units that looked like they came straight out of an 80s car, no Bluetooth though.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

There's no anything friendly radio units anymore. Aside from Blaupunkt everything else looks like it belongs in a riced out 90s honda civic. I'm convinced there's a huge market for somebody to design a halfway decent head unit with a simple utilitarian design that doesn't flash blue, red and orange lights every time you turn on your car.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Work has been like descending through the seven circles of hell this week. First they bitched about me coming in late and choosing to eat lunch at my desk. So now I'm loving sitting here at 12:45 with nothing to do.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I think it has less to do with tumblr and more to do with the fact that there is a growing segment of middle class kids coming out of high school that don't have a job and don't really know how the real world works and are stuck in an endless feedback loop where they all reassure each other's life views.

Tumblr is just the platform.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I haven't been to a Husky House since I was a kid, I wasn't even aware there were some in Calgary.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

To be fair that battery looks like it is from the 1950s.

vv its preforming better then Radio Shack's stock

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Powershift posted:

Blacking out from the intense g-forces on launch.

If its anything like the Scirocco it'll just spin wheels and torque steer you into a tree.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I always look at two weeks notice as a way of not burning a bridge and saying "I liked working for you, it isn't working out now but maybe down the road things will change."

I know with my current job if something comes up and I need to take it immediately I'll have no problems walking out. Its a corporation, its not like they actually would care about you if the situation was reversed.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

On the dog note my dog now sleeps exclusively under my bed. He'll maybe spend 10-15 minutes on top with me then decided gently caress that and jumps off and goes under. Can't convince him to come back up after that.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Dishwasher is leaking.

loving GE engineers bolted everything onto the plastic drain bowl with the screws going straight into the plastic. Just gushes water out of a screw on the drain cycle. Going to try taking the screw out, covering it with caulking and putting it back in because gently caress disassembling that thing with three inches of clearance.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

kastein posted:

Jesus christ this star wars discussion... the autism is coming from inside the thread :stonklol:

Star Wars is for nerds and the second one is the only good film in the series. :colbert:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

mungtor posted:

The V6 version of the RAV 4 goes "Shoom" pretty well also. Not sure what additional mods are available for the suspension, but it's certainly quick.

The V6 is a Lexus engine is it not? Those were pretty drat quick for what they were.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Changed the oilpan today.

gently caress VW for making the sides of the block aluminum, which also have the most difficult to access bolts for the oil pan. I'd gladly take the extra weight so bits of aluminum don't come out when you finally get the semi stripped bolt off.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tusen Takk posted:

I'm on day four of no vaping and I feel like strangling someone and chewing gum kind of helps but at this rate my jaw muscles are going to be very defined and also I keep getting these loving massive canker sores

all I can think about is how good wintergreen juice tasted and felt when inhaled at 300°F but then I remember how hurt my wife was that I was still smoking without actually smoking and ughhh

Going to quit smoking today so I'll be with you shortly. I usually fail when my blood sugar drops off a cliff and I start panicking.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tusen Takk posted:

I think you might actually have a better experience because while you're suffering with the lack of nicotine at the same time your sense of smell and taste will be coming back and after that hey i didn't cough of a phlegm ball the size of a kitten today etc. Good on you though :)

One of the biggest reasons for not switching to vaping is that I know it would completely remove any incentive to quit. I really need to get off my rear end and just do it. I'm probably deferring to tomorrow just to finish out a pack.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Sigma X posted:

My friend and coworker, who I've known for 8 years at this point, switched from smoking to vaping about two weeks ago. I don't know what a "normal" amount of vaping is, but I know she's taking 5-8 long pulls about every 8-10 minutes at this point.

Its still nicotine though which is my primary problem. I don't want to go through life needing something every 30 minutes.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Nicotene, now as neccessary as oxygen :v:

It sounds stupid but that's pretty much how I've rationalized smoking. For the longest time I was convinced I would instantly be bad at everything if I quit smoking.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Well another attempt to quit smoking down the toliet. I'm starting to think I've got zero willpower whatsoever.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MustardFacial posted:

(feel free to take this with a grain of salt, I'm not a professional.)

I quit smoking cold turkey about 3 years ago. Tried many times before and failed. The reason why I succeeded this time was because I had a reason to not smoke that was greater than my reason to smoke. It sucked for the 2 or 3 weeks where I had mad craving for a cigarette but when you start thinking "no, I can't smoke because of X" then you stop thinking "ah one more ain't gonna hurt, I can always try harder tomorrow."

If you don't mind me asking what was the reason not to smoke?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm sure his parents are very disappointed and will only buy him an aventador to replace it.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 29, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

April Chat Thread: You've made poo poo life decisions because they aren't the same as mine

You're all garbage human beings for not daily driving a Scirocco :colbert:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MustardFacial posted:

They don't sell Scirocco's in Canada

They did in 1984.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Got a vaguely-worded call today to go help one of the guys I supervise at work - apparently he was having some sort of crisis and needed to leave immediately. I shrug my shoulders because workplace drama is a daily Thing, go to find him and he's turned inside-loving out... I get him in the truck with me, and between sobs he tells me that his little brother just got shot

:stare:

I threw an arm around him and took him to his car without asking any questions, but from what I gathered it was fatal. Don't know the kid in question, but my coworker is a super nice down-on-his-luck kinda guy who I've always liked. I do not get paid nearly enough to counsel people in the depths of grief asking me "what do I do? this isn't real! this isn't happening!". An excellent way to start my three-day weekend.

Only advice I can give is to open a cold one.

That's a helluva way to start off a long weekend.

• Locked thread