Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

ilkhan posted:

Car chat.
Had to pick an SSD for work yesterday, so a trip to BB over lunch. On my way out I see a really odd old rear end car in front of me. Grab the guy's attention at the stop to find out WTF it is.
He told me, but who here can ID it?

Just a type 3 wagon. They were pretty common in Australia as they made them here, or at least assembled them from CDK. There's even one on my street.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Friar Zucchini posted:

So here's an interesting bit from the '15 Focus owner's manual, with the base 2.0 N/A engine: "Premium unleaded gas will provide improved performance and is recommended for severe duty usage, for example a fully loaded vehicle." I figured that was more of a thing in higher-end cars where you're lucky they even allow regular gas for that particular engine, or more sophisticated engines like the 1.0 Ecoboost... but this is just a conventional four-banger compact. Weird.

The aussie ford 4l i6 is like that. It's made to work on 91ron to keep everybody happy, but if you put in 95ron or 98ron you get a little bit more power and torque, something like 5kW and 15ft/lb. Nothing new about that motor, just a fancy head on an old block. All to do with knock sensors and coil on plug spark control

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Sorry about your car man, but this is just too cute! Smokers are all the same (whether it's weed , tobacco, heroin, whatever), thinking "if I just do [x] people won't notice".

That sucks about your car.

Cakefool posted:

I read until I passed out as a kid, my parents gave up trying to confiscate light sources. I expect the way my kids are with books they'll be the same 3:

Mines only 2.5, obviously can't read, and also behind on speech. He knows words, like if you ask him to get the car, remote, and a hundred other things he'll race of to get them, but as far as speech it's weird, about the only simple words he says is 'car' and similar sounds. For some weird reason he says 'circle', 'treasure', 'turtle', 'rainbow' but doesn't say many simple words like milk, bottle, toy like you'd expect of a kid that age.

Anyway, sometimes when he wakes up in his cot and my partner has has left a book nearby or in it, he will sit there and "read" them. All words are "D" BTW. So if he's reading out loud he'll be saying "D D D D D D D D". Also all numbers are "A" (or "8"). He often argues with sesame street with their numbers and letters, yelling D or a/8.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 7, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Tide posted:

I gotta disagree with that. Much like cigarette smoke, weed is so pungent that I don't think you can ever escape that smell, no matter how much you try.

Yeah. I'm a smoker of both and can smell it on other people or in the air from a long way away. Only way not to have that smell is have really short head hair and no facial hair, and smoke standing outside shirtless in a decent breeze, and even then you'll need brushed teeth, gargle, cologne and not let your hands near anyone afterwards...
e: Non smokers will pick it up easier than me, eg your dr will know you smoke cigs, the cops will know you smoke pot.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 7, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Well the only way to prove that is not your own opinion, but that of someone else who can say they can smell it on you or not. That being impossible here, no point continuing discussion about it.

e; for your edit:
It's not about your room, I always had a pedestal fan between me and the window too. No smell got into the house, it lingered around the room for a bit though, but we're talking about the smell on you. Absorbent things like skin, hair, clothing carry and hold it around more than the hard surfaces of a room does.
Like I said before, short head hair, no facial hair, no shirt helps, but to people that are non smokers and professionals at spotting it, they can still be able to tell if even I can tell while I'm used to it/blocked some out, may have diminished senses.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 7, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

CommieGIR posted:

Well, apparently the refrigerant on my home's AC is low, because it iced up both the condenser and compressor. Ugh.

Thankfully, being an older house, it has a big swamp fan in the attic that suck the air out of the house. So that'll tide us over till pay day.

What type of ice? Iceblock ice or frosty ice? iceblock ice can mean low on refrigerant or restriction somewhere; frosty ice is liquid refrigerant (points more to the outdoor fan and defrost not working right) e; we're talking about heating mode right?

e: welcome back lobsterboyx

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Apr 10, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Anphear posted:

Dont worry about the EN STR

This week at work I caught the upright -70 C freezer just before it would have started to fail, had been sitting at -62 over Easter. The primary compressor had leaked its refrigerant out leaving only the secondary one working. Which meant that if the internal temp went above -50 which is when the 2nd stage kick in, the freezer would have failed and 20 years worth of stuff thawed as there was nothing for the primary compressor to compress.

I've done a couple of ultra lows at hospitals and labs years ago. They still remain bit of a mystery as I never did anything but condensor fans, relays and simple stuff on the first stage. Never got trained in them (or anything really - self taught for everything), so the 2nd stage refrigerant and system wasn't touched by me. I hated that.
The company I worked for usually brought them back to the shop if there was any 2nd stage problems, and the foreman himself would work on them. The refrigerant on the second stage is very very expensive, high pressure and charged in minute amounts.
But from my memory on the ones I worked on, the first stage needed to run and it's evap cooled the condenser for the second stage. No first stage means the second stage would be tripping on overload or HP.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 10, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Rhyno posted:

I'm having a bad day.

:(

I've never had a good one, ever. It's all stress, sad brains and drinking to forget. Has been for as long as I can remember.
Of course if I do nothing or try nothing, it's not so bad.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 10, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Quite A Tool posted:

Ya'll crazy.
And i

leica posted:

LOL bra chat
This is new for AI :confused:

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 12, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I hate it when that happens.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

KozmoNaut posted:

So you basically married Buck Angel, or? :v:

I learn so much in AI

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
With all this talk of women and now fire, I suddenly got the urge to listen to ministry.
I might get a SIM card for a phone soon and get back to the real world. None of this modern poo poo. Might fire up the old nokia 8250* so I can get bailed out when I break down (broke down twice last year - flat battery, out of fuel), loving hard to find a public phone these days....

* pretty sweet, nearly instantly on when you turn it on, makes phone calls.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

some texas redneck posted:

So a few months ago we had a compressor on a make table replaced at work.

I remember telling my boss "I give it 3 months before this compressor locks up" after watching this guy. He "emptied" the system by slicing a line with a cutting torch, I didn't see a drop of oil go in (or out), he didn't replace the receiver/dryer, and he only pulled a vacuum for a few minutes.

Not only did it lock up, the thermal overload was also bad, so it started tripping breakers around the time people were wondering what was burning. And since whoever wired the place put triple ties on every 3 breakers (even 120V stuff, even 3 phase stuff that wasn't related to anything else), it also took out one oven (3 phase 208V) and the front lights (single phase 120V) every time it tripped.

That makes 5 compressors in 12 months. I don't get why the owner doesn't use a professional instead of a handyman, especially on $10,000 pieces of equipment.

Called it. :smuggo:

You got to take the bad with the good. That poo poo wouldn't fly in Australia, but then again it would be illegal and impossible for you to work on your own car A/C unless licenced in the trade and have another license to buy refrigerant and an account at a refrigerant wholesaler.
The fact that anyone can do wiring and refrigeration there means you can DIY your own stuff, but also that many repairers can be poo poo. While here I can't legally do my own wiring, which also sucks, but in a different way.

Also fridges don't have receiver/dryers, They have driers, going from little dinky copper spun tubes to 2-5" driers. Receivers are always separate and only on large on fridges. Only TXV (and other variable load) systems will have them, your own fridge at home will not have a receiver.
Using a receiver and TXV in small fridge systems is mainly used when remote installing the condenser eg on the shops roof or out back etc. IE use a receiver and TXV system when custom on-site pipework is done. But the receivers on these fridges are just a hollow tank to hold excess refrigerant when under low load, they are empty and the drier is separate.
All large systems will have a TXV and receiver of course because large systems see a huge load variation that a high TD can't achieve, but most pizza cabinets and display fridges have no TXV or receiver these days, they have capillary tube critical charge systems as the pipe length is a known quantity that engineers can work out the exact charge to weigh in, so they only have a tiny dryer.)

Capillary tube metering systems, AKA critical charge systems, (like your home fridge and more and more small commercial systems too if the condenser is manufacturer installed, eg part of the unit so it's a known pipe length unlike remote condenser systems), have no receiver. An exact charge is weighed in so they don't need a receiver to store excess refrigerant. Same for most air cons like mini splits even if they have an electric TXV.
E: mini splits don't even have driers at all! they just rely on a good install for containments and a strainer for dirt :lol:
They often have an accumulator though on the suction line to stop liquid flood back on low load.

Also in cases of bad burnouts of compressors, not only should the liquid line drier be changed, it's common to add a suction line dryer - meant to be temporary as it's job is to suck up poo poo coming from the evap to the new compressor. Fairly restrictive and bad for performance so pulled out after a couple of months. Just there to protect the new compressor from existing nasties in the system.
e: also if they're soldering without a full reclaim of refrigerant and purging with nitrogen, the system is going to be full of carbon scale that forms from refrigerant, air and other gases under heat, that's going to block poo poo up anyway. And if that's a capillary system, it's no going to last long
edit: compressors are precharged with oil, never need to remove or add oil during a compressor change, just nice if you can purge any stuck in the receiver (if fitted), evap (if poorly designed so it holds some), or change liquid line drier, and add suction line drier to filter it - which you remove later as said before.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 13, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
That's crazy.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

Jum beam is my go to broke wheoskey with bulliet rye my feelng fancy and t how bowsl both of them out lf the wawattwr

Just drinking the standard bulleit now. rye is hella rare in aussie, only seen a jim beam rye and it costs more than black, and hardly anyone stocks it. and yeah, anything drinkable is $40+
I find non rye whiskeys too sweet, but you got to do what
All my favourite gins I drank over summer all went up in price too much.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 26, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Liquid Communism posted:

Pfft, Beam. Get on the level and get a bottle of Evan Williams. Better taste, $10/750ml

Pffft. At least I can sometimes get beam absolutely anywhere for $35. Evan williams is an exclusive import to one store chain only here, which is nowhere nearby, and $47. E: I hate the bastards (coles/liquorland) that got sole rights to import that. At $40+, I rather drink irish whiskey.

E:
VVVV

All that to read a DVD?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 26, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

I'll give it a shot when i get home.

I'm a god dammed luddite.

You say that, but my phone is currently a nokia 8250 from 2000, so I'm a super luddite, or hipster apparently, when it comes to phones.
If I need the internet or "social media"*, I'll use my laptop or buy a tablet.
I gave any last hurrah nokia smart phones or android phones away 2 years ago.
The 8250 is small, light, strong, long battery life and that's all I need for phone calls or SMS.

* :lol: , I don't want extra exposure to "professional" media, let alone hear what average dumb people have to say 24/7

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 29, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Shut up yourself, I just hate talking and I suck in general, not trying to be "better" than anyone else. I don't have in interest in modern social media like twitter or FB.
I had no phone for 3 years, just got an old one back online in case of car breakdowns, to make phone calls because good luck finding a public phone these days and if you do it will cost $1 to make a call. Also for when I'm in hospital. Broke down 3 times last year, been in hospital 3 times this year.

88h88 posted:

I roll with one of these which the screen is cracked in two places on and I've dropped and exploded the case/battery all over the floor a million times or more by now.

I'm supplied an iphone from work and I loving hate the thing.
Is that a slide phone? How is it still working? I went through a fair few nokia and samsung sliders years ago and they all broke pretty quickly.
Before I switched to android, the last nokia I had was a c7 which still works as it wasn't a slider.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 29, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Rhyno posted:

All I drink is water! If anything I'm bloated!

Twenty years ago I hurt my knee pretty badly and we elected to not have surgery because I would've been off my feet for a long time and probably had to repeated a grade. They warned me that it might come back to haunt me someday and I am kind of freaking out that it's happening now.

Stop being a baby. I hosed up my knee when I was younger too (twisted it big time, pops out a lot still, grates when moving). Consequence of that is my back and other knee took 20 yrs of extra strain, and the're stuffed now too).
Point is, you just had a cramp.

E: I hardly ever had painkillers. They gave me good ones in hospital when I had pancreatitis and all sorts of internal referred pain which helped that. Not one of their painkillers ever helped my aching back though. I often wonder what I could ever do to help that pain go away

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 30, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Sigma X posted:

Probably have back surgery, like I am going to. Also, gently caress you and your "stop being a baby, you just had a cramp". Ignoring injuries is how people end up crippled for life.

Get some perspective, it's self described as a cramp. Not a permanent or constant thing.

I saw fireball today for the first time, it's $50. What's special about it?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Sorry guys, I'll just talk about motherboard model numbers and cats from now on in the AI misc thread. :(

The abit be6 was quite a thing. I wish I had a cat.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

MustardFacial posted:

Was it a choice between the superman cape and rent?

Apart from rampant alcoholism I think I'm too sensible for AI. All of the dumb poo poo I buy I only do so when I'm flush with cash.

When the cash stops flowing, sooner or later in the draught you'll buy some dumb poo poo anyways. No one will laugh unless you post about it here though.

1500quidporsche posted:

You're all garbage human beings for not being able to buy turbo i6 aussie fords :colbert:
FTFY, at least it applied until the recent v6 ecoboosts came out.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 30, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
How about you not have a melt down?

I like cats too. I was supposed to house and cat sit for 8 days a few weeks ago. I was there for 3 days before I ended up in hospital again, only got to meet the cat twice but it seemed like a real trooper.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 30, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

1500quidporsche posted:

They did in 1984.
:tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Have you considered LSD?

• Locked thread