Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Tusen Takk posted:

yeah exactly, I'm only looking at breeders recommended by the AKC and none of the Web 2.0 breeder sites since I don't want a neurotic inbred dog haha. my mother in laws dog may be that, but since it's a cavachon (bishon frise or however it's spelled and King Charles ) it more than likely isn't and is possible a puppy mill dog :(

Even a lot of "purebred" breeders are terrible. AKC unfortunately doesn't mean much, terrible breeders can register with them. As much as there's a hate on in AI for Pet Island, go in there, post sensibly, be open to criticism, and there's a ton of good advice. A lot of people there know a ton about various breeds, and can often find/help identify decent breeders, or at least point out red flags. The rescue route is a phenomenal one, my dog is a rescue and I don't think I could get lucky enough to "buy" one of her attitude and awesomeness from a breeder.

Tusen Takk posted:

Awesome! My brother and sister in law are looking for German Shepherds, so if she knows any good breeders I'd love for them to not get an inbred dog like many GSD's tend to be :)

For this, definitely post in PI. There are a handful of people who love GSD's, and will definitely help you find a good breeder that doesn't have terrible dogs. A shep is a breed to make sure you know what you are getting, or better yet, go the rescue route - there are a LOT of people who get shepherd's without knowing what they are getting into.

Siochain fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

NitroSpazzz posted:

drat mowers are expensive. I'm tempted to just have the neighbor kid cut it again this year.

Wrong time of year. Pay the kid for this summer, then grab a mower on end-of-summer clearance (if you're somewhere that has an end to summer). Or hunt around and see if any place has a "last years floor model" for cheap - we got our snowblower for almost $800 off that way. Still had full warranty, and hasn't given us any problems.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

It's not that, unfortunately; even hitting menu won't get it to light up. Sometimes it won't light up when it's first turned on, sometimes it flickers several times after being turned on. I'm pretty certain it's either a dying inverter or a cold solder joint on the inverter.

Check for bad caps. That sounds exactly like the 6 years of Samsung LCD monitors that had the exact same issue. Could still be the inverter, but some swelled caps out of spec can mimic the same symptoms. Also a lot cheaper/easier to fix. I made a lot of side scratch taking in broken LCD's and putting $5 worth of caps and 30 minutes of time into them.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I love my life though and there are moments that make me remember why I wake up every day and make the choices I do. Just like this from Saturday we had a little block party/Easter egg hunt for all of the kids and it was a laugh riot. Being able to see life from the perspective of my daughter brought up a lot of emotion for me in this little video I made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNP7HwGfUVQ I had about 15 minutes of raw GoPro video of just her and seeing her run about and her little voice just melted me and my wife. Kids are so great and innocent that you can't help but want things to be magical for them.

That is like the cutest mini-zombie apocalypse timelapse ever. Awesome video man, that's fantastic :) Really, really cool idea.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

kastein posted:

Boats make me glad I like offroad jeeps and airplanes.

Not if you bought a boat like me :P
Cheap piece of (mostly) floating aluminum. Just know what it can/can't do, and I'm never worried about it stranding me hahah.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Lol at anyone flipping out. That episode was awesome. Who cares if Dodge sponsored it? I'm sure that Chevy, Ford, Toyota and everyone else are probably going to kick themselves for not doing it first. Fantastic episode, and if it gets the boys some more awesome toys, all the better.

And yes, they need to Hellcat...something.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Hooray for wet basements.
So 2 years ago, after our first winter in the new house, we had some water come in under the front step-region. Dug it out, found the hole in the foundation, slapped some quikcrete in, and its been gold. No issues for the rest of that year, or last year.
This year, more fun.
Back of the house, never had issues. Good Friday, it rains about 3 inches, on top of the like 4 feet of snow still in the yard. Ended up with enough water to thoroughly soak the carpets, some standing water in low spots, but nothing bad. Within 24 hours of it starting, it was done.
Until this Friday. It rained another 3 inches. And was warm. Very warm. So my basement has been doing its best recreation of the end of Titanic. Thankfully, our central vac is wet/dry, so between it and a mop, its not too bad.

Until this morning, when my central vac goes up in smoke. Literally. Poof. I'm not sure what fried, and hopefully its easily repairable, but, yeah. So a $200 trip to Canadian Tire for a good-quality WetDry shopvac with garden hose attachment, plus an adaptor bit to suck the water up.
Works well, except the attachment for the garden hose leaks like a mother-fucker. So I'm going to need to fix that, but its a small thing.

And there is more rain in the forecast.

Its one of those weeks already.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Tusen Takk posted:

I'm on day four of no vaping and I feel like strangling someone and chewing gum kind of helps but at this rate my jaw muscles are going to be very defined and also I keep getting these loving massive canker sores

all I can think about is how good wintergreen juice tasted and felt when inhaled at 300°F but then I remember how hurt my wife was that I was still smoking without actually smoking and ughhh

Just smile and power through. Once you've been without for a week or so, it'll get easier. Then its only 3 weeks to a month, than 5 months to 6, then 6 months to a year, and suddenly you wonder why you ever inhaled that rancid poo poo. I know that vaping is ~less~ gross than real smoking, but its still a bad habit. Glad you are quitting :)

Siochain
May 24, 2005

I can second this. Bought the wife one, she loves it. Easy to use, seems fairly stable, no complaints in the last...year'ish of use.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

opengl128 posted:

Finally got the rest of the vehicles over to the new house. I would've liked a bigger garage, but for a one car its pretty drat roomy.

Nothing wrong with that man. Beats the hell out of my single-car garage (where the car and your ladder could likely exist happily together, but not much else.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

The Jabberwocky posted:

An $8 Nerf basketball hoop has turned this into a fairly tolerable Monday. Some days it is good to have a closet for an office.

I may or may not spend some days attacking the cats with nerf weaponry.
Today may or may not have been one of those days.

I really need to re-make my desk, make it bigger, and give myself a "secondary" workbench to play with within easy reach of my system. Then I could start working on side projects at work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Have local and online. Crashplan is cheap, and works well. There are other options to. I lost one drive full of photos years ago (RAID was not a backup :P ) and I've been extra-careful since. Losing files sucks.

• Locked thread