Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
Thanks guys - Is it possible to get that thread back or should I start a new one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I've checked, no way to get back archived threads. You can link it in the first post if you have archives and can find it.

Welcome back man, unique car tastes like yours are one of the reasons this is the best car forum on the net.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
Oh well, I guess I'll make a new one tomorrow or something.

here's something to wet your whistles.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Damnit man, my pants were already tight enough before that picture. :gizz:

Glad to see you back. :glomp:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

SuperDucky posted:

You should note I'm not the owner, just a very lucky crew member, with the blessing of the skipper to do what is necessary to make the boat go fast and win. You could call me the crew boss/first mate.

That's not even the craziest thing going on around here right now. My buddy does the same thing on a [redacted for legal reasons]
Yes. It is straight carbon loving fiber and it is insane. The owner tried to order it with a carbon fiber rig and couldn't find anyone to insure it because it'd be that insane. So its only aluminum, but considering the abuse we've put it through, that's probably a good thing.

I was on this ride and it was crazy. I'm not legally allowed to say what happened but...things broke that day. We're lucky the boat and everyone on board survived.

Awesome video, that thing was hauling rear end. I'm not sure how 'sailboat things' venture into the territory of not being able to legally talk about them. :) You are certainly living the dream though (well, maybe not everyone's).

When I was in my early teens I got to crew on an O'Day 29 that a friend of my father would enter in races (obviously not a serious racing series given that it's more of a cruising sailboat) and I loved it. I really have no idea how I drifted away and never got back into it. The older I get the more I really want to move somewhere that I could own my own sail boat. My 'win the powerball dream' would be to have a custom made boat based on the Baltimore Clipper topsail schooners of the early/mid 19th century, like this:

But with all the modern cruising sailboat features like auto-furling sails, diesel auxiliaries, etc. so that it wouldn't require a huge crew. It's a silly dream, but what the hell. :)

You might actually be able to answer a question that I've wondered for a long time now - why did modern sailboat designs mostly lose the bowsprit? Seems like it allowed the older designs to carry a silly amount of canvas, and it seems like sailboats are always trying to pack more sail area aboard.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Holdbrooks posted:

Anyone got a good recommendation for a cheap obd2 reader on Amazon.? I have the wifi one and some iPhone apps but they don't like the fiat and won't read the codes. It won't start after the tune and I'm not sure if I unplugged something or my ECU is bricked.

http://www.dx.com/p/mini-elm327-obd2-obdii-bluetooth-auto-car-diagnostic-scan-tool-12v-132202

This is what I have and it seems to work fine.
I run android rather than iOS though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So this is really painful to admit.

I fell off the wagon hard enough that I'm dealing with pretty ugly withdrawal (sweats, shakes, puking, etc). It's been well over 2 months since I started dealing with this. It's especially painful to admit because I just went through this about 6 months ago, and I'm probably going to get kicked out of the house over it. The only way I'm even able to get through the day at work is because I spend half the day in the car, and therefore I can sneak a few drinks.

I've spent the past week trying to track down benzos in hopes of avoiding the whole hospital bit, since benzos (valium, ativan, klonopin, etc) are what are generally used for alcohol withdrawal (they act on the same receptors in the brain as alcohol). I've dug myself deep enough that even stronger oral benzos really aren't doing a drat thing. :smith:

Not as bad as last time, but bad enough that I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on the whole "hello hospital?" bit sometime tomorrow. It's either drive there while feeling fine, but with a BAC at least 3x the legal limit (which generally results in an involuntary trip to a psychiatric hospital that isn't covered by insurance, or a shot of Ativan followed by getting kicked out and a lecture about clogging up the ER), or wait until I'm shaky as poo poo (but legal to drive, and they do a :wtc: at my blood pressure and shoot me full of Ativan before shoving a catheter into my man bits and moving me into the ICU).

You'd think I'd learn my lesson, I've been through detox more times than I can count now, and been through rehab once so far. :sigh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 10, 2015

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

LobsterboyX posted:

Oh well, I guess I'll make a new one tomorrow or something.

here's something to wet your whistles.

DANNY! HOLY poo poo DUDE!

Please make a new thread and update us on all the cool poo poo you've done.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

CommieGIR posted:

Well, apparently the refrigerant on my home's AC is low, because it iced up both the condenser and compressor. Ugh.

Thankfully, being an older house, it has a big swamp fan in the attic that suck the air out of the house. So that'll tide us over till pay day.

What type of ice? Iceblock ice or frosty ice? iceblock ice can mean low on refrigerant or restriction somewhere; frosty ice is liquid refrigerant (points more to the outdoor fan and defrost not working right) e; we're talking about heating mode right?

e: welcome back lobsterboyx

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Apr 10, 2015

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I just paid the price for eating ghost pepper fries at lunch and then boneless buffalo wings and salad with buffalo ranch sauce for dinner.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

some texas redneck posted:

So this is really painful to admit.

I fell off the wagon hard enough that I'm dealing with pretty ugly withdrawal (sweats, shakes, puking, etc). It's been well over 2 months since I started dealing with this. It's especially painful to admit because I just went through this about 6 months ago, and I'm probably going to get kicked out of the house over it. The only way I'm even able to get through the day at work is because I spend half the day in the car, and therefore I can sneak a few drinks.

I've spent the past week trying to track down benzos in hopes of avoiding the whole hospital bit, since benzos (valium, ativan, klonopin, etc) are what are generally used for alcohol withdrawal (they act on the same receptors in the brain as alcohol). I've dug myself deep enough that even stronger oral benzos really aren't doing a drat thing. :smith:

Not as bad as last time, but bad enough that I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on the whole "hello hospital?" bit sometime tomorrow. It's either drive there while feeling fine, but with a BAC at least 3x the legal limit (which generally results in an involuntary trip to a psychiatric hospital that isn't covered by insurance, or a shot of Ativan followed by getting kicked out and a lecture about clogging up the ER), or wait until I'm shaky as poo poo (but legal to drive, and they do a :wtc: at my blood pressure and shoot me full of Ativan before shoving a catheter into my man bits and moving me into the ICU).

You'd think I'd learn my lesson, I've been through detox more times than I can count now, and been through rehab once so far. :sigh:

Dude, no one is going to think of you less for admitting to this. Get the help you need, we'll be here when you need to vent.

Take care of yourself, thats the most important bit.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
http://imgur.com/gallery/h3WHi/new

Friend just texted me this. Dickbutt on a formula 1 car. God I hope its real

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Ferremit posted:

It's very simple and often forgotten. You take care of you, STR.

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008
Dont worry about the EN STR

CommieGIR posted:

Well, apparently the refrigerant on my home's AC is low, because it iced up both the condenser and compressor. Ugh.

This week at work I caught the upright -70 C freezer just before it would have started to fail, had been sitting at -62 over Easter. The primary compressor had leaked its refrigerant out leaving only the secondary one working. Which meant that if the internal temp went above -50 which is when the 2nd stage kick in, the freezer would have failed and 20 years worth of stuff thawed as there was nothing for the primary compressor to compress.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

SuperDucky posted:

Have we ever figured out who else lives in the north metro?

I'm south metro for the time being, though I'm looking to move northward.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

AcidRonin posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/h3WHi/new

Friend just texted me this. Dickbutt on a formula 1 car. God I hope its real

Checks out! This just showed up in the FP1 stream a while ago:

Resolution too low to make it out in that one, but you can still see the lighter colored square which contains said dickbutt.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Anphear posted:

Dont worry about the EN STR

This week at work I caught the upright -70 C freezer just before it would have started to fail, had been sitting at -62 over Easter. The primary compressor had leaked its refrigerant out leaving only the secondary one working. Which meant that if the internal temp went above -50 which is when the 2nd stage kick in, the freezer would have failed and 20 years worth of stuff thawed as there was nothing for the primary compressor to compress.

I've done a couple of ultra lows at hospitals and labs years ago. They still remain bit of a mystery as I never did anything but condensor fans, relays and simple stuff on the first stage. Never got trained in them (or anything really - self taught for everything), so the 2nd stage refrigerant and system wasn't touched by me. I hated that.
The company I worked for usually brought them back to the shop if there was any 2nd stage problems, and the foreman himself would work on them. The refrigerant on the second stage is very very expensive, high pressure and charged in minute amounts.
But from my memory on the ones I worked on, the first stage needed to run and it's evap cooled the condenser for the second stage. No first stage means the second stage would be tripping on overload or HP.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 10, 2015

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, those ultra-low units are run by what's called a cascade system. You have one refrigeration circuit that cools the condenser of another, which in turn can cool another condenser, and that's how you get -100 type units. And each system runs a different refrigerant.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Went for a chat/mini interview last month, only just got a reply back today as the guy doing it wasn't sure what jobs were popping up.

quote:

I would encourage you to keep an eye out for contract positions that may suit your skills, as you interviewed very well, however I don't have anything suitable at this time.

Waiting is rubbish but at least I know I didn't gently caress up monumentally!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
"O/D off" is flashing in my explorer again. 6 months after a transmission rebuild when it was originally flashing. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Have a one year warranty so hopefully its no big deal.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fo3 posted:

What type of ice? Iceblock ice or frosty ice? iceblock ice can mean low on refrigerant or restriction somewhere; frosty ice is liquid refrigerant (points more to the outdoor fan and defrost not working right) e; we're talking about heating mode right?

e: welcome back lobsterboyx

Iceblock Ice. Had to run emergency heat in order to melt the condenser. The line running to the compressor outside was frozen too, as well as the compressor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm having a bad day.

:(

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Me too. Somehow I managed to go through an 8th a week to three 8ths a week within the past few months. I am broke.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I'm bad at recovery. I hate crutches so I'm already limping around without them, less than 24hrs after surgery.

On the plus side, even without pain meds the pain is about the same or less than it was before surgery.

So, yay two weeks to recover.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Rhyno posted:

I'm having a bad day.

:(

I've never had a good one, ever. It's all stress, sad brains and drinking to forget. Has been for as long as I can remember.
Of course if I do nothing or try nothing, it's not so bad.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 10, 2015

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Fo3 posted:

I've never had a good one, ever. It's all stress, sad brains and drinking to forget. Has been for as long as I can remember.
Of course if I do nothing or try nothing, it's not so bad.

I'm sure you have man. Kids were born? Learned how to make goo come out? Got to drive a bitchin rotary?

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

The Locator posted:

Awesome video, that thing was hauling rear end. I'm not sure how 'sailboat things' venture into the territory of not being able to legally talk about them. :) You are certainly living the dream though (well, maybe not everyone's).

When I was in my early teens I got to crew on an O'Day 29 that a friend of my father would enter in races (obviously not a serious racing series given that it's more of a cruising sailboat) and I loved it. I really have no idea how I drifted away and never got back into it. The older I get the more I really want to move somewhere that I could own my own sail boat. My 'win the powerball dream' would be to have a custom made boat based on the Baltimore Clipper topsail schooners of the early/mid 19th century, like this:

But with all the modern cruising sailboat features like auto-furling sails, diesel auxiliaries, etc. so that it wouldn't require a huge crew. It's a silly dream, but what the hell. :)

You might actually be able to answer a question that I've wondered for a long time now - why did modern sailboat designs mostly lose the bowsprit? Seems like it allowed the older designs to carry a silly amount of canvas, and it seems like sailboats are always trying to pack more sail area aboard.

Pending/possible legal action. ;)

Tall ships are sweet, I hope I'm able to sail one someday.

Sprits are a complicated question. Initally, the bowsprit was one of the best-secured parts of the boat, so it made sense to attach more sail area up there. As better materials in boat building and sailmaking came along, the tall ship and yawl rig went away because sloops made more sense. If you go back and look at the video of the Carbon Colubmia and the sailplan of the Tiger10 and other contemporary sportboats, the bowsprit is making a comeback, albeit, generally retractable. We've discovered that downwind, hoisting a big rear end spinnaker further off the forestay makes it easier to trim and to bend the apparent wind angle.

I might have gone a little bit overboard on the technicalities, there, let me know if I need to explain everything further--I can answer questions in more detail tonight after I get off work.

Tiger10m with the sprit deployed:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Man, boats are awesome. I wish I was less terrified of the water.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Boats are awesome, but Jesus gently caress they're expensive. Even a goddamn jonboat costs entirely too much to keep going.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Boats make me glad I like offroad jeeps and airplanes.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kastein posted:

Boats make me glad I like offroad jeeps and airplanes.

God drat boats are expensive. A long time ago I was married to a crazy chick whose dad had too much money. He had a Chris White 46' catamaran custom built and the money in every aspect of that thing was staggering.

Freaking gorgeous boat, though http://chriswhitedesigns.smugmug.com/ATLANTIC-CATAMARANS/ATLANTIC-46/10649887_6PZ77j#!i=740959346&k=JnMJCws

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Its not really that boats are any more expensive than cars, really. Its just the luxury market they cater to. I work for West Marine and their margins are obsecene. A fool and his money, though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

New Blipshift shirt:

Must have it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ferremit posted:

Dude, no one is going to think of you less for admitting to this. Get the help you need, we'll be here when you need to vent.

Seconding (thirding?) this.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

LobsterboyX posted:

Hey guys, remember me?

Good to have you back, man!

Annoying day today. Thought I was getting out of work at midday, nope, loads of stuff to do, so stayed back, and in tomorrow morning. I normally don't mind at all, and appreciate the OT hours, but I was meant to be spending the weekend hanging out with a load of my mates and generally having a really good time. Ah well. I'll join up with them tomorrow afternoon, and at least there's a new episode of MCM gone up today.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So I went to my interview this morning, felt like I bombed it, and they said they had more candidates to interview, and would call me later this afternoon to let me know.

Not even two hours later I get a call from them, I got the job! :toot:

It's not the job I was hoping to get, and I still have an interview with a larger, hopefully higher paying outfit this week, but this means I can put my two weeks in at Qdoba.
NO MORE COOKING OR WASHING DISHES :toot: :toot: gently caress YES!!

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

leica posted:

New Blipshift shirt:

Must have it.

I don't get it, what am I missing?

Welcome back LobsterboyX!

Congrats on the new job ExplodingSims!

STR, is there not an outpatient or urgent care option in your area you can go to for help? It's good you're thinking about getting help, but I worry about the financial impact it will have to you if you go to the hospital. Also, have you considered shaking up your life, like maybe leaving Texas to try to break yourself of the pattern?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Mat_Drinks posted:

I don't get it, what am I missing?

Saul Goodman's car from the series.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Good luck with your demons STR, i sincerely hope you get things sorted out and land on your feet. for some reason AI is the only place i really share and went. You guys are the only people i have told that this cancer poo poo scare me, and that i am afraid. This includes my S.O.

i will think positive thoughts for you, probably not worth much. if you where closer i would let you go hog wild (but not too hog wild) in my ridicilous medicine cabinet. these doctors keep prescribing me with all these fun drugs, and they only make me feel dizzy and fart.

Got a transfusion yesterday, and another today. i feel like a loving bull. This will probably last untill tomorrow morning when its time for some more nuking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

ExplodingSims posted:

So I went to my interview this morning, felt like I bombed it, and they said they had more candidates to interview, and would call me later this afternoon to let me know.

Not even two hours later I get a call from them, I got the job! :toot:

It's not the job I was hoping to get, and I still have an interview with a larger, hopefully higher paying outfit this week, but this means I can put my two weeks in at Qdoba.
NO MORE COOKING OR WASHING DISHES :toot: :toot: gently caress YES!!
Congrats.
The feeling you get from making the jump from retail/food to a real job is a wonderful one.

• Locked thread