Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bwatts

Spanish Manlove posted:

really? there's not links to videos on cutting techniques or methods of cutting? smdh

youre not allowed to post those here for obvious reaasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck. marry. t-rex

Thanks, especially the Nike band. I kinda assumed a lot of that stuff like Pebbles and w.e were trashy. I think a band would be good compared to an app cuz I have a phablet and I don't want to destroy it accidentally running.

Spanish Manlove posted:

really? there's not links to videos on cutting techniques or methods of cutting? smdh

I think you can find extremely basic knife tutorials in GWS, but noone is telling anyone how to butcher a chicken or scale a fish or anything as far as I know. :geno:

Hell I'd be suprised if there was even like a filet knife tutorial, or anything out of standard chef knifery

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN

vice.com op-ed posted:

youre not allowed to post those here for obvious reaasons.

lol

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

Thanks, especially the Nike band. I kinda assumed a lot of that stuff like Pebbles and w.e were trashy. I think a band would be good compared to an app cuz I have a phablet and I don't want to destroy it accidentally running.

I think you can find extremely basic knife tutorials in GWS, but noone is telling anyone how to butcher a chicken or scale a fish or anything as far as I know. :geno:

Hell I'd be suprised if there was even like a filet knife tutorial, or anything out of standard chef knifery

Now I'm wondering if the brewing thread is just them obsessing over brewing equipment because I assumed it was going to all me recipe and process advice

saboten

my uncle makes knives out of old metal files and recycled materials theyre cool

thank u bacalou

Chef Shimi

saboten posted:

my uncle makes knives out of old metal files and recycled materials theyre cool

i'll take one.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

this is a good no nonsense salmon filleting tutorial if you know how to fillet one fish you basically know how to fillet them all more or less cutting fish is much more about feeling where the bones are with your knife and keeping along them as closely as possible i have personally cut over a thousand salmon and many other types so feel pretty good about talking cutting fish in detail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENVpNG8N4IY

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
i have a bunch of hand-me down pans from parents and stuff bopepper what do you think of that? they are terrible pans but i still have money in my pocket from not buying a useless commodity to improve the quality of time i spend doing a task i rarely enjoy anyway

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
joke_explainer

practice and watching videos definitely helps with that. the first time I filleted a salmon was an absolute mess, but now I can cleanly get nice full slabs of meat and remove the pin bones without a fuss or damaging the flesh at all.

joke_explainer

CAT BRUSH posted:

i have a bunch of hand-me down pans from parents and stuff bopepper what do you think of that? they are terrible pans but i still have money in my pocket from not buying a useless commodity to improve the quality of time i spend doing a task i rarely enjoy anyway

they're probably better than you think if they've lasted decades. any griswold or wagner cast iron?

mags

BYOB Rachel posted:

this is a good no nonsense salmon filleting tutorial if you know how to fillet one fish you basically know how to fillet them all more or less cutting fish is much more about feeling where the bones are with your knife and keeping along them as closely as possible i have personally cut over a thousand salmon and many other types so feel pretty good about talking cutting fish in detail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENVpNG8N4IY

they do this for me at the grocery store so i don't have to do it myself

paul_soccer12 posted:

mags

joke_explainer posted:

they're probably better than you think if they've lasted decades. any griswold or wagner cast iron?

i think they were from walmart

paul_soccer12 posted:

joke_explainer

CAT BRUSH posted:

they do this for me at the grocery store so i don't have to do it myself

yeah but if you buy a whole fish from fishermen or fishmongers you generally get a better deal than the grocery store and if it only takes you like 20 minutes, you're still way ahead on time

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

CAT BRUSH posted:

if you don't cook or really like to do it that's fine it's a shame but that's fine i guess it's also fine that you molest barnyard animals but this is god's america and you can do whatever you want

mags

BYOB Rachel posted:

if you don't cook or really like to do it that's fine it's a shame but that's fine i guess it's also fine that you molest barnyard animals but this is god's america and you can do whatever you want

my rear end is normally colored and proportioned

paul_soccer12 posted:

mags

april fools it's actually doughy white and spotted with red blemishes

paul_soccer12 posted:

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

cooking is an almost universally shared task and not investing a modicum of effort into your diet and making the act of cooking more civilized seems foolhardy but hey whatever thanks obama

mags

BYOB Rachel posted:

cooking is an almost universally shared task and not investing a modicum of effort into your diet and making the act of cooking more civilized seems foolhardy but hey whatever thanks obama

i cant wait to pan fry some chicken in my lovely pans and torture you with photos of it

paul_soccer12 posted:

Bwee
i am a really good cook

mags

Bwee posted:

i am a really good cook

paul_soccer12 posted:

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

CAT BRUSH posted:

i cant wait to pan fry some chicken in my lovely pans and torture you with photos of it

i bet you have lovely pots and pans that you buff to a gleaming shine and hang on delicate wrought iron hooks

Bwee posted:

i am a really good cook

what do you like to cook bwee

Bwee
last night i made flash-fried brussel sprouts and modernist cuisine cacio e pepe (using sodium citrate to emulsify the pecorino to make it a rich velvety sauce)

fuck. marry. t-rex

My greatest loss when I moved recently was my hanging pot rack.

gently caress cabinets of pots :catbert:

fuck. marry. t-rex

Do you just have a jar of citric acid? Also what is that process

joke_explainer

Bwee posted:

last night i made flash-fried brussel sprouts and modernist cuisine cacio e pepe (using sodium citrate to emulsify the pecorino to make it a rich velvety sauce)

that sounds like some good pasta. I never had an emulsified sauce with sodium citrate before, tho there's lots of emulsified sauces in cooking. I bet you make some really good food tho. i would eat that.

Bwee

Do you just have a jar of citric acid? Also what is that process

its sodium citrate so it's a white powder/salt. essentially its the same process that kraft and velveeta use to turn crappy fake cheese into meltable cheese, but this way you can turn fancy cheese (gouda, parmesan, blue, whatever) into meltable cheese

http://sciencefare.org/2013/08/14/the-best-macaroni-and-cheese-traditional-vs-modernist/

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Bwee posted:

that sounds excellent

i received the modernist cuisine book for christmas once and have barely cracked it open i really should look at it more

Stormyish

also it's only been a few hours and we lost bwatts for a month

Bwee

BYOB Rachel posted:

that sounds excellent

i received the modernist cuisine book for christmas once and have barely cracked it open i really should look at it more

the at home one or the real chef one? either way i will buy it from you if you don't use it

Bwee

Stormyish posted:

also it's only been a few hours and we lost bwatts for a month

i really need bwatts to be unprobated so we can moderate this forum togetehr

joke_explainer

that's some molecular gastronomy stuff. cool. i should pick up that cookbook

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i don't get to cook like i'd like to very often these days because i typically have a small toddler sitting next to my cutting board saying "dada cooking?" or "pastaaaa!!!"

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN

Bwee posted:

its sodium citrate so it's a white powder/salt. essentially its the same process that kraft and velveeta use to turn crappy fake cheese into meltable cheese, but this way you can turn fancy cheese (gouda, parmesan, blue, whatever) into meltable cheese

http://sciencefare.org/2013/08/14/the-best-macaroni-and-cheese-traditional-vs-modernist/

THAT"S WHAT THAT IS?

I've been to a kraft facility and it was the most unholy place I've ever experienced. So much mayo. So much. uguhguhguhghkuybkakdhgdsas

Bwee
yeah it's REALLY easy and makes amazing mac and cheese (i just adapted it to cacio e pepe), it eliminates any "floury" or "doughy" taste you'd have from a traditional mac and cheese made with a bechamel sauce also you don't have to make a bechamel sauce

Bwee

Spanish Manlove posted:

THAT"S WHAT THAT IS?

I've been to a kraft facility and it was the most unholy place I've ever experienced. So much mayo. So much. uguhguhguhghkuybkakdhgdsas

they usually use sodium phosphate which is harder to get food-grade from the grocery store or online, though we have a big thing of it in lab. sodium citrate works exactly the same but has a SMALL SMALL hint of acidity/sourness that is overcome by the massive amoutn of chees e in the sauce

fuck. marry. t-rex

Do you like shred it and sift some acid into it? Or what lol

Bwee
recipe:

add 12 g (~5 teaspoons) sodium citrate to 1.25 cups water or milk (milk works well for mac and cheese, starchy pasta water works well for other things, etc)
bring to a simmer
drop in a handful of shredded/crumbled cheese
use an immersion blender to mix, mix mix
add more cheese
mix mix mix
etc., until it's thick enough/tastes cheesy enough

pour over pasta

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN

iirc it was just powders+oil=cheese but I was doing robot things in the warehouse and didn't want to go through the assembly lines more than I had to

Bwee

Spanish Manlove posted:

iirc it was just powders+oil=cheese but I was doing robot things in the warehouse and didn't want to go through the assembly lines more than I had to

yeah the oil is the fake cheese (well like the whey or whatever, cheese food) and the powders are probably sodium phosphate to emulsify the fake cheese oil into a brick of cheese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

why do you keep thinking sodium citrate is an acid (well it is weakly acidic as its a salt of citric acidactually its basic and used as an acid buffer apparently, but it is definitely not the same thing as culinary citric acid)

joke_explainer fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 1, 2015

• Locked thread