Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

PaganGoatPants posted:

Why do I smell baby oil?

That's a pretty great gag, if just for Ludacris' reaction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlYCSz23G1M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Echo Chamber posted:

Fast & Furious 6 should have answered people's lingering questions about the in-universe chronology, but since people are going to ask anyway:
The Fast and the Furious (2001)
2 Fast 2 Furious (2003)
Los Bandoleros (2009) that little 20 minute prequel on the DVD that Vin Diesel directed. completely optional; not terrible
Fast & Furious (2009)
Fast Five (2011)
Fast & Furious 6 (2013)
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006) This song rules.
Furious 7 (2015)

Technically Better Luck Tomorrow is part of that world too in a weird way because the character Han in F&F is the same Han in BLT. Justin Lin just put him in the franchise but it's the same character. So if you wanted to be a hardcore completionist watch BLT first.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
If you want to get really nitpicky then the Better Luck Tomorrow character is named Han Lue and the Fast and Furious is named Han Seoul-oh, but the explanation that makes the most sense is that one or both of these are aliases so let's go with that.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
Fast Five's ending pushes it over the top for me anyways. It was the best out of the franchise. You had that whole extended scene where they become big baller millionaires and everyone had great scenes to close it out.

Also, best one hit wonder song ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zp1TbLFPp8

Jenny Angel posted:

If you want to get really nitpicky then the Better Luck Tomorrow character is named Han Lue and the Fast and Furious is named Han Seoul-oh, but the explanation that makes the most sense is that one or both of these are aliases so let's go with that.

Han Seoul-Oh is probably one of most ridiculous and awesome aliases ever too. I wonder if the screenwriter waffled back and forth on whether to go with that before deciding gently caress it..let's do it.

Modus Operandi fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 6, 2015

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

The Rock's response is apparently unscripted, as was Luda's.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

The MSJ posted:

Holy poo poo that's great, had no idea.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

They reproduce this with the choices in cars too. Brian prefers quick and maneuverable Japanese tuner cars while Dom has always been associated with American muscle. The Rock shows up in his APC, while you know poo poo is going down with Owen Shaw when he comes in with some crazy F1-style poo poo with anti-vehicle gadgets

The f1 thing was a nice nod to British formula racers too...ie. James Hunt. If a British super villain showed up it's exactly what you would expect him to be driving.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Modus Operandi posted:

Han Seoul-Oh is probably one of most ridiculous and awesome aliases ever too. I wonder if the screenwriter waffled back and forth on whether to go with that before deciding gently caress it..let's do it.

...gently caress. I just got that.

The MSJ posted:

Amazing.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm not sure if I'd go that far, but the evolution of the Fast franchise has most likely been the most interesting to watch of any movie series I've grown up with.

Just curious, what would you say is the most interesting progression of a film series?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

toanoradian posted:

Just curious, what would you say is the most interesting progression of a film series?

James Bond has been places.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Modus Operandi posted:

Technically Better Luck Tomorrow is part of that world too in a weird way because the character Han in F&F is the same Han in BLT. Justin Lin just put him in the franchise but it's the same character. So if you wanted to be a hardcore completionist watch BLT first.
Technically the Fast & Furious canon includes this:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Echo Chamber posted:

Actually the game is a non-canon retelling of the movies, thank you very much :colbert:

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Echo Chamber posted:

I see nothing wrong with that. It's pretty cool. It's no crazier than some guy doing human flag pullups.

Maybe people just underestimate Bryan O'Connor's hidden strength levels.

Modus Operandi fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 6, 2015

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The FnF series is the ultimate expression of "boys will be boys" and pure bromance

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
And cars?

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

Coffee And Pie posted:

Lmao

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
Furious 7 was the best dumb movie I've seen in a long time. It was transparent in how it writes off the rock for half the movie, the whole thing comes off a bit exploitative on Paul Walker even though on the surface it pretends to care, and everything EVERYTHING was unbelievable. I don't care though, it was so so much fun.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
What does it say that in a movie where a car jumps between two (no, three) skyscrapers, a guy who was the biggest race promoter on the East Coast is now a top flight hacker, a drone missile can hit the back end of a car and just cause a spin out, a car can ROLL DOWN AN ENTIRE MOUNTAIN and the driver and passenger can walk it off thanks to a reinforced roll cage, and Paul Walker can hang with Tony Jaa in two fights…

…the only part of the movie that completely took me out of the moment was the random five-second Iggy Azalea cameo? That was the sole time during the entire movie where I rolled my eyes.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I definitely gotta give some love to the whole mountainside set piece. James Wan has a great eye and the stunts were definitely not the step-down I was a little worried about when Justin Lin moved on. I hope they have Wan back for 8.

I'm actually really gonna miss Paul Walker's surprising fight skills. I really liked his scenes in the truck and his fight at the end.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

CobiWann posted:

What does it say that in a movie where a car jumps between two (no, three) skyscrapers, a guy who was the biggest race promoter on the East Coast is now a top flight hacker, a drone missile can hit the back end of a car and just cause a spin out, a car can ROLL DOWN AN ENTIRE MOUNTAIN and the driver and passenger can walk it off thanks to a reinforced roll cage, and Paul Walker can hang with Tony Jaa in two fights…

…the only part of the movie that completely took me out of the moment was the random five-second Iggy Azalea cameo? That was the sole time during the entire movie where I rolled my eyes.
I wish that Letty had punched her instead of poor Hector.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

LesterGroans posted:

I'm actually really gonna miss Paul Walker's surprising fight skills. I really liked his scenes in the truck and his fight at the end.

I really enjoyed his Nathan Drake-esque escape, I hope they do more of that in the future, though I feel like that wouldn't really work with any other characters.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

CobiWann posted:

Yeah, it was pretty loving stupid. If they really were dead-set on having her in the movie, why not make her the start girl at Race Wars instead of the tattooed chick? That's what they did in 6 with Rita Ora... and it was still kinda dumb, but at least there was a reason for her to be there.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Coffee And Pie posted:

I really enjoyed his Nathan Drake-esque escape, I hope they do more of that in the future, though I feel like that wouldn't really work with any other characters.

Yeah, him escaping it was fantastic. I dunno... Roman? Letty? It's a tough one.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Iggy Azalea is the exact kind of lovely person who would be hanging out at something like Race Wars.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

Iggy Azalea is the exact kind of lovely person who would be hanging out at something like Race Wars.
I mean, you already know, she's so fancy. She's in the fast lane from L.A. to Tokyo.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I have zero pop culture. Who is Iggy Azalea and why is she terrible?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-zpOMYRi0w

Spoiler: she's from Australia

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 6, 2015

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

BrianWilly posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-zpOMYRi0w

I think her inclusion would have been way less weird if she used her natural Australian accent, not the weird Southern thing she does.

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, him escaping it was fantastic. I dunno... Roman? Letty? It's a tough one.

Letty's actually a pretty good thing, if they want to go the Tomb Raider route with it. She does wear a lot of tank tops.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

BrianWilly posted:

She's also kind of racist

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I see :gonk:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I don't know if the 'kind of' qualifier is really necessary.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah, it was pretty loving stupid. If they really were dead-set on having her in the movie, why not make her the start girl at Race Wars instead of the tattooed chick? That's what they did in 6 with Rita Ora... and it was still kinda dumb, but at least there was a reason for her to be there.

I'm actually amazed at how much poo poo is given for having Iggy speak 2 lines in this movie. I mean, I loving LOATHED Rita Orra in #6 and still think she's worse. More people should bemoan the presence of this 4th gen fugazi Brit Beyonce knock-off.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

I have never seen any of the previous F&F movies but liked what I saw for the most part. I am not into street racing or its culture but there wasn't too much of it so it was okay. At the showing I went to there was plenty of groaning/eye rolling/face palming during the "And now for chicks in bikinis" scenes.

Going in with the idea that this is some sort of live action Looney Tunes movie really helped.

Also I hope a future installment figures out a way to reproduce the opening scene from Heavy Metal.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

BrianWilly posted:

She orders Papa John's pizza (her favorite allegedly) while in New York.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=672jKuyzkX4

In gif form:

http://i.imgur.com/am4KuiD.gif

http://i.imgur.com/ljwFSxM.gif

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 9, 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

teagone posted:

:catstare:

I guess I could see Papa Johns being someone's favorite pizza if there were no other pizza places available to them and they didn't know any different, but in New York?!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Holy fuckin poo poo

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Holy fuckin poo poo

I know, over 100Megs for only two gifs.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

teagone posted:

True story I live in Chelsea and there's an Olive Garden on 23rd and 6th, within walking distance of some great Italian restaurants. That motherfucker has an hour long waiting list on weekends. All of which is to say people have no taste anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

teagone posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRgEeDR98X8

• Locked thread