Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I'm still holding out for Helen Mirren as Mama Shaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Casimir Radon posted:

They can tie it into his Gone in 60 Seconds remake. :getin:

Has to steal Dom's charger or something

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Cole posted:

Has to steal Dom's charger or something
Twist: It's the real Nicolas Cage and he needs the money to get out of debt.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ninjahedgehog posted:

I'm still holding out for Helen Mirren as Mama Shaw.

Oh my god.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
What kind of martial arts can Helen Mirren do?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I seriously wonder if they will give Mirren her own sexy slow motion scene. Everyone knows she is still pretty hot, but F&F is the only franchise that might actually acknowledge this on screen.

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

Casimir Radon posted:

They can tie it into his Gone in 60 Seconds remake. :getin:

Gone in 60: The Second

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Shaw parents should be Helen Mirren and Jeremy Clarkson

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

A Top Gear crew cameo really must happen in the next one.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Surely it would be cheaper to just get Hammond to do their crashes.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

I still prefer my idea of Timothy Dalton as the father. Because Statham in 7 is basically just a rogue, evil James Bond.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!
Saw the movie last night and I wasn't disappointed. The scenes setting up Brian's retirement were obviously necessary, but felt kinda tacked on. I wonder if Brian's adjustment to family life when he loves the action hero lifestyle would've still been a part of his character had Paul Walker not died since they kinda touched on it in 6. I guess Jordana Brewster is out of a job now as well since she pretty much just gets swept away to a secure location when poo poo starts going down in 6 & 7 and shows up once or twice to remind Brian that he's got a family.

I like the crew being more stripped down compared to the giant teams of 5&6, especially since they've all been given superpowers now. If this is the first part of a new trilogy I could see 8 opening with Owen Shaw breaking his brother out of Top Secret Jail for more revenge, ending with Mr. Nobody betraying everybody (because who trusts a black-ops agency with access to all of the world's audio and video feeds?) and being the villain in part 9 setting up an uneasy alliance between Dom's crew and the Shaws that gets settled with a supercar demolition derby on Mars.

Rockzilla fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 9, 2015

Blancone
Apr 5, 2015
I'm a mature adult and a proud father, so obviously I know how to control my emotions. Not this time though, this movie ending, with that perfect song made me cry like a little kid and I'm not at all ashamed to admit it. Great movie, with an incredible final scene

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

The MSJ posted:

A Top Gear crew cameo really must happen in the next one.

Screw that, I want Ray Magliozzi.

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010

Dead Snoopy posted:

I suspect its only a matter of time until Hobbes [The Rock] is forced to operate outside the law and that means he'll be in "Dom's World" then.

I cannot get enough of the idea of having the series travel overseas through these arabic countries and have the crew interacting w/ $2.5 million supercars. That's the next level poo poo I want to see.

They'll probably hit up China soon enough.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Twinkie and Sean (and Neela's night drifting) must be first to join before the rest of your fantasy picks.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Judging by the way the series is developing and how it almost has become a parody of itself, why not have all of them IN ONE MOVIE???!

I hope they bring John Cena in as a PTSD-riddled Marine (from his movie "The Marine") who teams up with a horribly belligerent drunk who loves cars (Jeremy fuckin' Clarkson) and has to be stopped by a midget (Hammond) and an old guy (May) and they join forces with Vin Diesel and the entire cast of the Expendables.

Expendably Furious.

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
Now I really want to see Nic Cage (who used to work for the government but went rogue) run an underground shadow version of Kurt Russell's organization and see them fight off in the end after using everything and everyone in their arsenal to destroy the other person.

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
At this point this is the improv group of action series. Each new movie just keeps saying "yes, and" while throwing more outrageous stuff into the canon.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

KidVanguard posted:

At this point this is the improv group of action series. Each new movie just keeps saying "yes, and" while throwing more outrageous stuff into the canon.

Probably the most outrageous thing of this series is one of the crew have an R32 Skyline I'm the first TFATF movie and it doesn't race.

Yes, I'm extremely upset about that. They had the big 3 of 90s Japanese sports cars and one of them was used to block a street.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Romes128 posted:

Probably the most outrageous thing of this series is one of the crew have an R32 Skyline I'm the first TFATF movie and it doesn't race.

Yes, I'm extremely upset about that. They had the big 3 of 90s Japanese sports cars and one of them was used to block a street.

the supra didn't race the s2000, which i thought the entire movie was building up to the first time i saw it

that's the biggest injustice of the series

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cole posted:

the supra didn't race the s2000, which i thought the entire movie was building up to the first time i saw it

that's the biggest injustice of the series

I thought the Skyline was eventually going to race. Everyone I watched it with is into cars and we were pissed

We needed a Supra vs RX7, vs Skyline, vs S2000 race in that movie. They could have done it. Why didn't they do it. 😕

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
So is Dom's RX-7 from The Fast and the Furious still just sitting in that parking garage?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

So is Dom's RX-7 from The Fast and the Furious still just sitting in that parking garage?

It sets the precedent in the series that their cars are disposable.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Romes128 posted:

It sets the precedent in the series that their cars are disposable.

Pretty sure that Charger gets rebuilt like 4 times.

I'd be worried about fatigue failure in the chassis.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

Pretty sure that Charger gets rebuilt like 4 times.

I'd be worried about fatigue failure in the chassis.

I assumed they bought or stole their cars wherever they went. Cause it seems like a pain to take the Charger to South America and back. Same with Brians GTR.

On that note, I read the white Supra belonged to Paul Walker and his youngest brother did that scene. drat.

Jackapol
Sep 16, 2007
Huh huh buhhh.
Welp, I think that may have been one of the best theatrical experiences of my life. I don't think I could ever compare the movies just because of how great it was watching with 4dx, though it didn't hurt that the movie was very fun.

4dx: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4DX

This was my first time trying a movie with it and Fast 7 was probably the best choice. I thought it would be gimmicky and distracting but it turned an already great action movie into the greatest 2 hour motion ride. Holy hell do the chairs really move, hell I doubt anyone could eat popcorn while watching. The wind effects were great, fans on the ceiling to simulate helicopters and small air nozzles next to you ears for bullet sounds, and the chairs really seemed to follow the action quite well and had motors to hit your back for impact scenes. The last 15 minutes or so I just sat back with the biggest smile on my face, it was just a lot of fun.

I was shocked at how well it was done, and I don't think a better movie could be used to show off the tech. I saw it at LA Live in downtown LA, and it wasn't too expensive. It's about as much as a real IMAX ticket, but on Tuesday it's 8 bucks off, which only makes it slightly more expensive than a regular ticket. I thought it was definitely worth it and if you have a chance check it out.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

According to the F&F wiki:

quote:

Dominic drove a Mazda RX-7 in the race with Brian, Danny and Edwin. During the race Brian with his Mitsubishi Eclipse GS tries to gain an advantage by using nitrous but Dominic uses his nitrous as well and easily beats him. When the police arrive and everyone flees Dominic drives away his RX-7 to a parking garage and leaves the car before fleeing on foot. Dominic apparently retrieved the car because it is seen again at Dominic's house and again at Race Wars near Dom's trailer. The car has a VeilSide bodykit + VeilSide wheels.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Of course there's an F&F wiki.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

teagone posted:

According to the F&F wiki:

you can see him driving it in the scene where they are going to that parts store and using Brian's red pickup truck to get poo poo for the supra.

why do i remember this

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Romes128 posted:

I assumed they bought or stole their cars wherever they went. Cause it seems like a pain to take the Charger to South America and back. Same with Brians GTR.

On that note, I read the white Supra belonged to Paul Walker and his youngest brother did that scene. drat.

at the beginning of 4Fast4Furious Dom is only down to like Costa Rica or something so I figured they were just taking their time driving down to South America. There wasn't a bridge connecting Central and South Americas at that time but boats and stuff

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The cars in the Fast and Furious movies are summons and don't possess the attributes of the actual cars they are. A stock 392 6.4 liter Challenger made mainly for straight line drag racing can beat a GTR on a twisty road - why not? 4 identical Chargers race each other (all modern Chargers are automatics), and Dom and Paul Walker's characters are faster than everyone else even though all you do is "press hard on gas" in that car? Sure! It doesn't matter to see any particular car "race" another since the cars just possess the attributes/abilities of their drivers.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, the cars in these movies are basically like swords or guns from any other movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, the cars in these movies are basically like swords or guns from any other movie.

I like the iron man suit analogy.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
those cars took like 8 minutes to go a quarter mile

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cole posted:

those cars took like 8 minutes to go a quarter mile

Maybe they just wanted to savor life.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
i have a hard time believing that the runway scene where the runway is like 36 miles wasn't done on purpose as a throwback to the first movie

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The runway scene is an amazing, well-choreographed joke. It even has a punchline.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

The biggest thing with the runway scene is that we see it as this continuous long shot, but you have to realistically assume that a lot of it is concurrent action. So it's still way too long, but not really as long as the run time in the film would make it out to be.

So while the fist fights are going on in the plane, the rest of the crew is outside trying to gun the wings and then it makes a modicum more sense. It's still impossibly long absurd but that helps a little for me anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The nonsense nature of all the setups is part of the charm. Like they're trying to rob enough money in 5 to start over... So they plan a heist that uses millions of dollars in vehicles and equipment

• Locked thread