Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Just got back and I definitely wasn't disappointed, but it doesn't quite top F&F6 for me. I mean, 6 is really hard to top, but even so, I think the change in director is fairly evident, and I don't think they managed to work in the cast of characters as smoothly as they did before.

That last scene though...wow, be prepared for it. It is brutal. It will obliterate you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Drifting is an advanced race wars skillset that should not be used lightly. There is a price.

There is always a price.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Nah it's okay 'cuz the girl who actually makes these things is part of Their Family now. Cars. Cars cars.

Did anyone else think that the Brazilian cop lady -- Elena? -- was hella gonna get killed the second that Hobbs gave her a promotion? In any other movie that would've been her "one week away from retirement" moment. In this movie the Rock falls out of a building with her to break her fall with...his back. On a car.

Cars.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I have zero pop culture. Who is Iggy Azalea and why is she terrible?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I see :gonk:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I've never seen FF2. Was Tej always some kind of world-class hacking prodigy or was that just something else that escalated uncontrollably from "He knows his way around cars"?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Not gonna lie, the runway scene was part of why I was a tad bit disappointed with the drone scene in 7. For all the crazy explosions of the drone scene, ultimately it was rather straightforward and linear. The runway scene, though, was just full-out organized chaos, with seven or eight concurrent moving parts all jumbling together into one balls-out frenetic hot mess.

Four hero characters against four villain characters on board the plane itself, switching between combat pairings roughly every ten seconds. Four cars (with multiple characters in each car) squaring against each other on the runway, turns into six cars at one point, with characters jumping back and forth between cars and even between cars and plane. Every single one of the...thirteen? Fifteen including the pilots?...characters are engaged in some kind of pivotal action, every single thing they do creates some sort of ripple effect that affects every other player. That crowning instant near the end where all pieces on the board finally come together, where all three cars are linked to the plane dragging it down, was like the best checkmate moment in the most absurd game of speed chess I've ever seen.

I love big ensemble action, though. They're my biggest weakness. And...now I kinda wanna watch that sequence again. :shepface:

edit: Well, "chess" was one possible metaphor. Another tabletop board-game might be an even more fitting comparison...say, for instance...a fantasy tabletop board-game? :shepface:

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 10, 2015

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh Christ my dick.

Part of me wishes this is the way they had shown it in the film (or in a DVD extra or something) just for effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

ninjahedgehog posted:

I don't know if this has been posted before, but here's a short featurette about how they did the tank chase in 6. I had no idea how much of that was practical effects, right down to getting an actual 60-ton tank to run over actual moving cars, and using little RC cars to film it. :stare: I love this series so, so much.
:stonk: So should we just assume the drone in Furious 7 was real as well or what?

• Locked thread