Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Someone pointed this out in the Fast and Furious 6 thread and it's even more true in this film - this whole franchise is a Dungeons and Dragons campaign, but instead of magic swords everyone had magic cars. Here's the original post:
This also explains the infinitely long runway at the end of 6 being the product of a turn-based combat being filmed in real time.

quote:

It's also explicitly a D&D campaign, as confirmed by a Justin Lin interview posted some pages ago. The order in which I saw the movies was 5, 1, 2, 3, 4, and going from 5 to 1 I was floored by how low-key everything was. But it's about escalation. Dom Toretto in Furious 6 is not the same person as Dom Toretto in TF&TF because he's leveled up from like 5 to 20-something. And there are things that are necessary to the process of leveling that far. There's the continuing growth and harmony of the adventuring party/family, and the acquisition and use of magic items/cars. Cars are not just a thing you drive fast in this series (Though it's kinda hilarious how there's the additional parallel of broadening scope of items. In TF&TF, the cars are super important but they don't really do much. They drive exclusively in straight lines, often badly, because these are just +2 Cars compared to the +5 Vorpal Holy Avenger Cars we get later).

Cars are a lifeblood and a part of the character, and as someone astutely noted earlier in this thread, Letty starts to remember "who she is" when she gets behind the wheel against Dom. When you're describing your epic-level character, the artifact-level items he's attained are part of that identity. This is the correct way to play D&D, Lin claims, as opposed to Shaw's crew who are again explicitly referred to by Rome in "evil mirror party" terms. These guys are powergamers. They drive ridiculously minmaxed armored F1 cars, they've looked through a hundred splatbooks to find a little car-disabling artifact that's totally gonna be broken in this next encounter, and they've sorta forgotten to give their characters personality. Shaw just cares about the result, the winning/losing binary, and if one of the characters in his party dies it's because that character wasn't optimized enough. So whatever, roll a new one.

And then it's still confusing somehow when Epic Level Dom Toretto does a superman jump to save Letty and they land on a car which breaks their fall. "How did you know there's be a car to break our fall?" is a line that's ridiculous on purpose and ideally jolts the audience into realizing "Wait, it's probably not actually literal cars that are being talked about here". I'm pretty sure cars are not actually soft and do not actually break falls. But that doesn't matter because it's a (not-particularly-subtle, this movie is not particularly subtle) set of metaphors. You take a big ridiculous risk, as big and ridiculous as you can, to save your fellow party member, and it pays off because of the life-saving force of epic level items. The DM (Lin) is not a neckbearded gently caress, so his priorities are straight. He rejects Shaw's code (brutal, gamist, us-versus-them minmaxing) and accepts Dom's (escalation predicated on doing cooler and cooler things with your friends that you're getting closer and closer to as you play).

I think it's fairly unlikely that we're gonna get a better D&D movie than Furious 6 for a long while. I saw the film a couple week ago and it's still a little baffling just how much Lin "gets" it.

For the new one, it's more obvious than ever in the structure, with a shadowy government organization tasking Vin Diesel's crew to find a legendary MacGuffin and the crew even slaying the villain's pet dragon in the finale while members of the town guard are slain, unable to harm the boss. It's entirely about Vin Diesel's group's narrative at this point, consequences are completely inconsequential.

This is retarded, please don't post it ever again.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

The MSJ posted:

http://feature.variety.com/vin-diesel-a-furious-mind/
Diesel said he learned storytelling from reading J.R.R. Tolkien and playing the game “Dungeons & Dragons,” with its intricate mythology that later influenced the scripts of Fast & Furious.

Wow that's amazing, you're telling me J. R. R. Tolkien and D&D was an influence for an actor, who didn't write or direct any of these movies? You telling me this guy read the motherfucking Lord of the Rings books, like millions of other people? This obviously means Dom Toretto is a friggin level 30 berserker with a +5 Vorpal Holy Avenger Car just pwning those little newbs. Epic. Friggin epic.
Listen this is a movie series about fast cars, explosions, swole guys and hot babes, can we maybe talk about that stuff and leave this geeky dumb poo poo to the literally hundreds of threads in these forums specifically related to that stuff?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread