Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Trailer

This series needs no introduction. If you're stuck in 2003, haven't seen any of of the movies since the first or second, and still consider the franchise a punchline like Transformers, you're missing out one of the rare big budget series that generally gets better and better. Imagine a series that started off just about some guys in LA who drive cars fast but slowly escalates into one of the best and absurd action franchises where bank vaults crush cop cars and runways stretch out to the entire length of Europe.

Gothamist does a better job explaining the phenomenon; compiles all the memes and thinkpieces you've probably seen if you're already a Furious fan.
Why The Fast & Furious Franchise Deserves Respect
(warning: some Fast 1-6 spoilers)

quote:

The Fast & The Furious film series launched in 2001 as a humble Point Break-ripoff inspired by a Vibe article about street racers ("Racer X") with a title borrowed from a 1950s Roger Corman B movie. Through its many sequels, it somehow transcended floppy disks, forgettable villains, chronological anomalies, endless backyard BBQs, and the death of one of its lead actors in real life to become the most brilliant, batshit-crazy, ethnically-diverse popcorn action film franchise of the 21st century. It has a legitimate claim to having elevated stupid-fun into the realm of commercial art (or at least into the realm of obsession-worthy devotion).
What was supposed to be a little car exploitation film in 2001 has sprawled into a franchise that somehow developed a mythology (with a fair share of world building and timeline fuckery) and a ton of sentimentality. It's better to think of these movies not as car movies, but as a superhero movies where the actors mostly play themselves.

Fast & Furious 6 should have answered people's lingering questions about the in-universe chronology, but since people are going to ask anyway:
The Fast and the Furious (2001)
2 Fast 2 Furious (2003)
Los Bandoleros (2009) that little 20 minute prequel on the DVD that Vin Diesel directed. completely optional; not terrible
Fast & Furious (2009)
Fast Five (2011)
Fast & Furious 6 (2013)
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006) This song rules.
Furious 7 (2015)

I'm guessing there's some overlap between Drift and 7. If you haven't seen any of the movies and are just starting now, I encourage you to just watch them in order of release, not the timeline. Watch Tokyo Drift after 2Fast and before the 2009 movie. There's a massive payoff that way. If you want to know which ones are the worst or most skippable, different people have different answers. 2Fast does little to advance the characters, beyond introducing Tyrese and Ludacris to the series. The 2009 movie is my personal least favorite, since it's so concerned about franchise housekeeping at the cost of being boring; but does set up a lot of "plot" elements that pay off in 5 and 6.

And the other thing that people are asking is how the film deals with the death of Paul Walker. Short answer: re-writing, his brothers standing in, and some CGI with help from Weta. Reviews seem to generally show that the movie did a good job of handling it without feeling disjointed.

I'M IN YOUR FACE.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I ended up botching my "watch all the Fast movies again before the new one" marathon, so I watched Furious 7 with only the first and parts of the second movie very fresh in my mind.

It ended up being better that way. Instead of the smoother transition to absurdity; I was able to enjoy 7 with the culture shock. I know people have previously compared these movies to the Saints Row games, and I definitely got that vibe especially when Kurt Russell was on screen acting like a super spy while recruiting some guy who once only threatened trucks in LA.

Thoughts since I'm too lazy to write things in paragraph form:
- Hector!
- They did a decent job working around what they couldn't get with Paul Walker. It was kind of clear they were missing plot and character moments in the earlier scenes; since Vin, Dwayne, and Michelle had a lot to say about their characters; while Paul had little to say. Vin's call to Jordana felt like it was supposed to be to Paul; and Jordana's all like "I'll go tell him what you said."
- So the package on the porch didn't really hurt Vin Diesel because he turned around and ran a few feet forward; but it totally wrecked the house. Okay.
- I'm guessing Lucas Black was originally going to be more important before PW's death. They never explained or even showed it on screen, but I guess Dom's Charger in Tokyo was just waiting for him in one of Han's garages that weren't confiscated by the police? Also Lucas Black aged a decade between the stock footage and the new footage; lol.
- They keep retconning new skills for Ludacris. First he was just a mechanic that arranged races. Then he was the best hacker on the east coast. Now he's also a ninja apparently.
- They also retconned it so Luke Evans survived and was just hospitalized after Fast 6. Pretty useless retcon; since he doesn't do anything else.
- lol the wedding without a ring. How convenient.
- I felt like they could have done more too give Elsa Pataky and Kurt Russell some bookend at the end.
- So the Rock can't just kill Jason Statham? Even though he murdered the villain in Fast 5 with no remorse? What use do the feds have in locking him up?
- Too bad they didn't shoehorn the Better Luck Tomorrow cast into Han's funeral.

I'm personally done with Fast scenes in the U.S.; so I'm not too big on setting the next one in New York. The fast movies work best when it's international, whether it's Tokyo, Rio, or London. It gives the movies more flavor.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 3, 2015

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I saw Fast 6 opening night and the audience reaction to the Jason Statham reveal was probably the craziest I've ever seen a movie audience.
Easily one of the best post-credit scenes, if not the best.

Easily tops all the nerd bait from the Marvel movies.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Cacator posted:

Well, Dame Helen Mirren is on record saying she wants to be a villain in a F&F movie, so...
There was a missed opportunity in Fast 6 when they were in London for them to come up with a bunch of contrivances so that Helen Mirren can reprise he role as the Queen and help Dom and the family fix some cars because she knows how do it from repairing all those trucks during the war.

But I'm totally behind Mirren as a villain too.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I think one factor that helped the franchise's initial success (before Lin's retooling), that isn't brought up too often when people explain the series, was Roger Ebert.

Not only did he give the first (and second) movie thumbs up; he repeatedly defended the movie against Roeper. I remembered he even brought up the movie when he and Roeper were guests on Leno as one of their big disagreements. Ebert was thrilled how the movie was about cars with good stunts and practical effects. (In contrast to Gone in 60 Seconds and other forgettable car movies the years before it.) More importantly, while most critics panned the movie for being dumb, Ebert was the big exception. I'll just link to the review so here it is. Ebert helped maintain the franchise's fragile critical credibility when most others were already reducing the films to a punchline. And Ebert continued to defend the movies on the second and third; only disliking the 4th (because it sucked), before liking the fifth again.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Also the character relationship in the 4th movie was off screen and told entirely through exposition if I remember correctly. And the two didn't have lines with each other in the first movie if I remember it right.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Modus Operandi posted:

Technically Better Luck Tomorrow is part of that world too in a weird way because the character Han in F&F is the same Han in BLT. Justin Lin just put him in the franchise but it's the same character. So if you wanted to be a hardcore completionist watch BLT first.
Technically the Fast & Furious canon includes this:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Or it could have been a really long runway.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The necklace was definitely retconned into Han's death in FF6. It wasn't there originally.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Dom's crew fights the Avengers.

The drivers win. Because the street always wins.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The sad thing is if they ever make an "Ultimate Visual Dictionary" of the Fast movies not unlike what they do with Star Wars or Star Trek, I'd consider getting it.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
All Rob Cohen movies are in the Fast canon. Even the movie that Dom was watching in the first movie.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

nemesis_hub posted:

I somehow went this whole time not seeing any of these movies. I just started watching the first one and it's hilarious and awesome already, so I imagine the later ones will blow my mind. Should I watch them in release order or chronological order?
Release. 6 has the best post credits scene of any blockbuster film this way.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Spacebump posted:

Where is Sean supposed to be in the new version of Han's death? In Tokyo Drift he was running toward the car as it exploded, there is no way he wouldn't have noticed Shaw blowup the car/casually walk away.
My best guess is if you want to make sense of the retcon, think "it's not happening in real time".

- Sean crashes his car on the other end of the crowded Tokyo intersection.
- Sean sees Shaw's car hit Han's.
- Shaw quickly gets out, throws the necklace, calls Dom, and disappears into the Tokyo crowd.
- Han's car explodes as Sean is running near it, too late to save him.
- (Not on screen) Sean sees the necklace, grabs it, unsure at the time what it was. In Tokyo Drift, it's presented as Sean believing he was hit by a random driver. In 7, it's retconned so that maybe Sean believed Han's past life was coming back to haunt him; but he brushed that mystery aside in order to work out his own problems with DK and the Yakuza.
- Sean runs away from the crash scene before the cops show up. Maybe only two or three days have passed between Han's death and when Dom drives into town with his Dodge Charger, investigating the mystery. So I guess that the car repair montage and the final race happened pretty quickly.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

muscles like this? posted:

They've been advertising the home release as an "Extended Edition" is there a rundown of what the differences are supposed to be?
Google's not giving me anything. If it's like 5 or 6, my guess will is "not much" besides a few cut shots that kept it PG-13 for theaters.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I am so sick of superheroes. I just want fast cars and all-inclusive bromance. :(

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

TheJoker138 posted:

Also I've got some bad news for you: the F&F movies have basically been super hero movies since 5.
But the Fast movies are superheroes movies that comic book geeks hate, so they're fine.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The buildup to each F&F movie also has less bullshit clogging up my news feed.

I'm sick of hearing every little detail for every MCU, x-men, DC, Star Wars, Hunger Games movie become daily entertainment news as if I had infinite money and goodwill for every recognizable brand. I could stomach these movies better if people didn't report on every casting tidbit. Then the official announcement. Then the leaked set photo. And then the official release photos. And the poster. And then teaser trailer. And a TV spot. And then a racial backlash. And then people calling out that backlash. And then the full trailer. And people picking apart every shot in the trailer. And then people speculating on the post-credits scene once the movie comes out.

I remember when this process used to be mildly fun, but it just seems so cynical and predictable now. This cycle is numbing enough that I'm complaining even though many of these movies end up not being terrible.

If people talked about the next Fast movie the same way they talked about the Force Awakens, I probably would feel more sick of fast cars and family sentimentality. Fortunately comic book nerds and bloggers still think they're better than a dumb movie franchise about vroom vroom, so the fatigue isn't kicking in. Bring on Fast 8.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
"8", "9", and "10" should be the final movie titles.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Fast & Furious: Civil War

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I want an extended scene with two massive armies of cars charging into each other like knights. Kind of like that scene in TLOTR The Return of the King when Theoden and the Rohirrim charge into battle at Pelennor Fields. But with cars.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
And I don't know where the Universal Studios ride fits in the timeline.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Lobok posted:

Call me a sentimental fool but it'd be sad to bring Han back without Gisele.
That means we'll have to end the DC Cinematic Universe.

I'm okay with this.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

duz posted:

Or crossover? Finally give batman the family he so desperately wants.
No.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I still remember when networks made a huge deal over a movie's network television premiere. And then recording some of those movies onto VHS.

Edit: lol at Paul Walker not giving the finger

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 13, 2017

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I was underwhelmed by the first trailer, but this one has me excited as hell.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
A scene from Fast Nine:

"We have to work with Cipher. She's now... family."
"Did she kill the mother of your son?"
(pause) "anyway..."

But yeah, movie ruled. Surprised how much they turned the Shaws into anti-heroes, and then a flat-out heroes without someone explicitly bringing up what happened to Han and Giselle.

So what's the time frame between 6, 3, 7, and 8 then? Because of the ___________baby________, I think they decided they all happened way closer to each other than I previously assumed. The baby couldn't have been more than a year old.

According to Wikipedia, Lucas Black was almost in this movie, but scheduling conflicts. I wished Don Omar and Tego Calderon weren't listed in the opening credits. A total surprise cameo would have been more awesome.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Not the biggest fan of the Saints Row comparison, but it's kind of funny that family still has Two Hackers.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
But Fast & Furious is good and Transformers is bad.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Dom's crew vs Danny Ocean's crew should be the final movie and by them it should have the entirety of Hollywood on both sides.
Dom's crew burns Hollywood to the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Keep Kurtzman and Orci as far away as possible from my Fast & Furious!

• Locked thread