Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
well why not
Feb 10, 2009

grahf987 posted:

my all time favorite eye candy who can act when needed (probably not in this one) Charlize Theron

grahf987 posted:

Australia? Strong car culture but like their geographic location it is upside down, General Motors are Holdens? Ford are know shorthand as Falcons, and apparently 100% pure American only Mac Trucks do quite well down there. Where is South Africa in the mix? Besides all these whitish country's, it would be cool to see a Chinese manufactures car in there, from what I have read and seen they are mostly poo poo but like most things they do, I bet they have a world class prototype just sitting around that is not practical for them.

How about gently caress off with the creepiness and the weird racist / nationalist vibes? Uncool to poo poo on other countries or races, least of all in the FF thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm just salty that anyone could pick a F&F eye candy that isn't Paul Walker (blessed be he).

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Statham could be the issue. Fits the 'not acting' parts.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Lobok posted:

Until today if I had seen this list of titles I would have thought they were videogames that started out on the NES and then made the move to SNES.

"Wild Speed Mega Max" is just so loving great.

It's also appropriate considering the jump between the two films.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

So now they have three aggressive bald men whose loyalty may or may not be guaranteed? At least we can trust Tej and Roman.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

... is the pun 'F8 of the Furious' ? Did they rename the movie for an easier hashtag?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 , and then 2 again to make sure that 2 was not a fever dream. Point Break, then the first film again.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

People have always hypothesised about a 2space2furious (or lunar drift) movie but I think that's underestimating how much of the audience is car people who really get pumped about seeing real cars. Even that trailer had a lot of focus on the Charger and the Lambo. My cynical prediction is that when it gets too crazy to believe they'll do a 'back to basics' arc to reground the series.

That said, I desperately want to see the Charger modded to be able to powerslide in a vacuum.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

2 is where the craziness first gets a big boost. It ramps up the stunts, colourful locations, weirdo characters and homoeroticism a huge amount from the first movie. The first film is very grounded in comparison. Stealing home electronics is replaced with a CIA-backed plan to take down high level drug dealers. It's a 'more serious' topic but it's handled in such a cartoonish way it's remarkable.

The homoeroticism was totally lost on me the first time I saw it, but on repeat viewings, it's a pretty gay movie.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

They should do a remake of Armageddon, but as a crossover with the Fast & Furious franchise. I think it would totally work, at this point we can believe this family can do anything.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

Roman calls "dibs" on a Tawnee Stone-class Eclipse convertible with a vinyl wrap.

What's a Tawnee Stone-class ?

I'm a big fan of how Roman is constantly nagging O'Connor to ignore Eva Mendes' character. It comes across as so jealous I'd be amazed if this was unintentional. In the other films, he's usually designated the 'distraction' - does this mean that O'Connor finds him 'impossible to ignore' ?

edit: Tyrese is a twice-over NY Times bestselling author?!!?

well why not fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 12, 2016

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Scyantific posted:

Shows how Bryan got that sick-rear end R34 that promptly gets wrecked after one race in 2.

Goddamn if that isn't the high watermark of the tuner aesthetic. RIP Gunmetal/Blue R34, may you find two.... two of the big ones in heaven.

I remember thinking the 'ESD Harpoon' stuff in 2F2F was a bit over the top, but here we are, over a decade later talking about the same franchise and they're fighting drones and tanks.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The best thing they could do is just have Han show up and deflect any questions about how he's back. Even Shaw doesn't know.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Actually, it's high time for a Wild Speed Cinematic Universe, so maybe Fast And Furious Tokyo Drift - 2 Han Seoul-Oh Gaiden Jam! is about him drifting out of the afterlife. It can be a side story, setting him up for return in FFX.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Cowboy Han would be the absolute pinnacle of cinema.

edit: Hang on, so Optimus Prime AND Dominic Toretto are going rogue?

well why not fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 14, 2016

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

My vote is just every few minutes, drop in one of his scenes from Into The Blue, with no explanation or care for continuity. Just interleave the two.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

A Deacon posted:

The success of the Fast and Furious franchise illustrates everything that is wrong with American pop culture.

We have a lot of fun here in the Wild Speed thread, but this is really misguided. It's a huge franchise with a very diverse cast, with a strong emphasis on treating the people close to you well. Sure, it's a multimillion dollar franchise that's excessive and gratuitous, but it's not everything wrong with American pop culture.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

This is honestly the most diverse franchise going around. It's also one of the select few that features an Asian man with a non-Asian woman, which is one of the few things Hollywood is still squeamish about. There's (apologies if this is the wrong term) mixed couples everywhere throughout the franchise, actually, even going back to the first.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Dead Snoopy posted:

I prefer to think of it as a repudiation of American pop culture. It understands it isn't Shakespeare and instead of getting all emo about it or going up its own rear end creating a 'think man's action hero' like the early 1990s tried to do, it laughs at itself and becomes MORE outlandish because it understands the sense of camaraderie and outlandishness is what has made it so durable as a franchise.

This is 100% right. It also has just enough smarts to keep from being entirely cartoonish - it goes right up to the edge and then backs off ever so slightly.

They definitely know that the outlandish vibe is what people love. The bizarre dialogue from the first film is honestly one of the reasons I appreciate it so much. "No Crusts." is such a silly scene but because it's played almost straight, it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cefC0DPlHFQ

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Lobok posted:

The franchise could do better for women, though. Diversity of the cast is great and all but each of the films has music video shots of women's asses. And the women can only fight other women.

This is true, it's still pretty chauvinistic in some ways. Most Hollywood won't have men strike women, unless it's Nic Cage doing it (for some reason), it's still a real taboo. The series definitely has some weirdness going on with being so sexualised but still trying to present certain women as more than sex objects. Mia is portrayed as a really great, kind person and good mother, but it's kind of hard to stomach when it's in a film with so much bikini b-roll added.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah, I mentioned that in this thread the other day. 2F2F being perhaps the gayest part of the franchise, due to the burning, but taboo, desire between Brian and Roman.

I don't think the series is devoid of hot boyz for the ladies to appreciate, I mean - Paul Walker was involved, it's just heavily tilted towards the male gaze. Maybe this time around Roman will find love and Dom & Hobbs will finally clear the air.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That sond totally bangs, but I don't know if I'd put it above Get Low (which to me, has the added benefits of keeping Dillon Francis rich forever)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Can we rename this thread to

Fate Of The Furious : HOW COULD DOM DO THIS ?!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Okan170 posted:

As someone who has worked on two of these movies, that is absolutely what we ask ourselves sometimes, what could be next?

we did a big vote on this and decided either space or undersea like in seaquest

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I really wonder what their beef is about. They seem like really cool people, maybe they just couldn't click. I can imagine Diesel feeling pretty threatened by having The Rock join the cast.

I'm kinda impressed that they'e kept Statham in the mix. He's such a great presence and makes for a perfect foil to the the FF. I'd imagined he was only going to dip in for one installment.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I wish they'd just eat some chicken, drink some Coronas (label facing camera) and predator handshake all the drama away.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Man I always thought the "F&F goes to space" jokes were unreasonable but they're becoming more and more likely each time a film is released.

I'd also accept a time travel plot that reveals Cipher's dad sabotaged Dom's dad.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I think it's funny how the movie needed a cute white boy in it so they grabbed Scott Eastwood and proceeded to poo poo on his character the entire movie.

I think it's interesting how in the previous instalments, Paul Walker's character had been a partial stand-in for the audience (as well as Roman) but in this one it's Letty - she shares our concern that Dom has betrayed the family (and us, the audience) and becomes the anchor for the film.

edit:

https://www.moviefone.com/2017/04/19/vin-diesel-dwayne-johnson-feud-fast-furious/

the feud is over, our family is no longer torn asunder

well why not fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 24, 2017

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah he's Little Nobody in the credits too. I'll be pissed if they think they can replace Walker OR Russell with Scott Eastwood.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

So is Vin directing his another spinoff? That kinda makes sense for the franchise. They can do a mainline every few years with the spinoffs coming in the alternating years. Like Star Wars.

The Fast & The Furious, a stealth Point Break remake about stealing DVD players is now in the same league as Star Wars. What a world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Vin is gonna be PISSED. Definitely some crushed d20s at the Diesel household tonight.

• Locked thread