Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It was fun but it felt real cut together. The flow from scene to scene felt a bit off. But man, the set pieces action and camera work were top loving notch.

Plus the Rock literally loving Rock Bottomed someone. Took all I had in the theater not to mark out.

Was still great though. And goddamn I knew it was coming but that Paul Walker scene still got me. :smith:

Immediate reaction

5 > 6 = 3 > 7 > 1 > 4 > 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

DrVenkman posted:

From what I could tell it's the whole beach scene, and there's one or two inserts where it looks like they've used a double and some CGI. There's nothing too glaring though and it's all pretty brief. Honestly, I don't mind admitting that it got me. Like the beach scene was one thing and it's like OK, this is a sweet sendoff, but then the part afterwards took me out.

Overall I liked it a lot, even though it's too long. So, a couple of quick notes:

- The Rock is so knowingly fun that it makes it worse when he's used so sparingly.
- Lucas Black does not look as young as he did in Tokyo Drift.
- Diesel seems to act as though he's constantly on the verge of falling asleep.
- The script lays it on way too thick sometimes. Almost impossibly so.
- The Mountain chase is a brilliant scene, start to finish. It's a chase scene that has a clear sense of geography, character and action. It's a shame that it comes so soon.

To be fair. Lucas Black never looked young...

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

duz posted:

So was I, so I looked into why. Apparently her family owns the Benihanna restaurant chain so she doesn't need any money and also her and her partner started a family and she just had her second kid last year.
I hope they can convince her to come back since it seems like the cast is mostly the 2fast crew now.

I hope Ramsey stays on the team, she could be a fun character. Though her and Tej are kinda redundant you could probably make her more of an Oracle stay back at Base type character, and having more Females on the team is never a bad thing. You are definitely going to need a new white guy though, As I would be shocked if studio reps would be on board with having no white guy on the team.

Then again the Fast movies print so much money, and I doubt Paul Walker was all that much of a draw over Vin, and The Rock. So they could get away with it. But yeah.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Darko posted:

The reason why the villain stayed alive is so that Statham can be the bad guy that joins the team in the next one to hype everyone up.

Ignoring the fourth wall, the ending is really, really funny. Having kids and being with a family is like dying! Poor guy!

As someone who's best friend just got married and has a kid on the way. I can confirm this.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Just came back from it. It was ridiculous in all the best ways, and the part I laughed at the most was Dom wearing a wife beater to his wedding.

I honestly don't know what they can do to escalate things from here. Drift across a large body of water? Drift on ice in Antarctica? Have women in bikinis walk around in Antarctica? Drift from one aircraft carrier to another? Drift on the moon?

They are about to become a super secret black ops team working on missions that can be handled by no one else. Those missions being handed out by Kurt loving Russel.

Fast 10 is going to have them overthrowing governments and assassinating presidents and poo poo.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Vin is living the loving dream.

Making enough money to just loving create whatever dumb personal project movie he wants to make.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Fast Five was Wild Speed: Mega Max

Six was Euro Mission

The Japanese titles own

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The Japanese Name is also dope as gently caress

Wild Speed: Ice Break

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Dom is evil?

whaaaaa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwMKRevYa_M

Dexo fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 12, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

It's real dope seeing a cast which is largely non-white be one of the top movie franchises worldwide.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

It treats the Female characters with names decent enough, but yeah. don't really need the random gratuitous dance scene with booty shaking interlude

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Welp

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Coffee And Pie posted:

Tokyo Drift had the best theme song.

I WONDER IF YOU KNOW
HOW THEY LIVE IN TOKYO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuJDhFRDx9M

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

well why not posted:

That sond totally bangs, but I don't know if I'd put it above Get Low (which to me, has the added benefits of keeping Dillon Francis rich forever)

I mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA7gnSyuIik

or I actually kinda legit like this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrMcdLTWP-A&t=29s

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Echo Chamber posted:

A scene from Fast Nine:

"We have to work with Cipher. She's now... family."
"Did she kill the mother of your son?"
(pause) "anyway..."

But yeah, movie ruled. Surprised how much they turned the Shaws into anti-heroes, and then a flat-out heroes without someone explicitly bringing up what happened to Han and Giselle.

So what's the time frame between 6, 3, 7, and 8 then? Because of the ___________baby________, I think they decided they all happened way closer to each other than I previously assumed. The baby couldn't have been more than a year old.

According to Wikipedia, Lucas Black was almost in this movie, but scheduling conflicts. I wished Don Omar and Tego Calderon weren't listed in the opening credits. A total surprise cameo would have been more awesome.

Just got back.

Cipher already said that she has no attachments and is someone who operates on a completely different wavelength than Dom does.

Deckard Shaw actually was shown to care even from his (awesome) intro at the hospital that he cares about his family a bunch.

I feel like they justified Shaw's turn well enough. I mean that entire first scene and conversations with cipher about the guy he raced told you that he is willing to forgive and break bread so long as you earn his respect. It was also implied that Dom respected the hell out of Shaw the older because of just how much he cared about his brother. Shaw saved his son, and was the reason the mission was a success. So they are willing to be allies.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Wandle Cax posted:

But he killed Han! killed him! one of the family. Remember when Dom said there is nothing more important than the people in this room, and who was in the room at the time? That's right, Han. It all would have been acceptable though except for the smiling and laughing with him at the end. there should still have been some tension there.

Him and Owen literally saved his Son when they didn't have to keep up their end of the Bargain at all. It was nothing but blind faith and respect. The Shaw's could have ghosted been free and let Cipher win.
And he was going after Han and the Family because they almost killed his brother.

Just like Dom was going to let that dude take his nephew's car because just like a deal's a deal. Sometimes in the situation that Han got killed in you just charge it to the game.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I like how they attempted to avoid that in 7 since no one is in downtown LA at night. But that happening in the middle of the day in New York would be catastrophic

Tbf if they were moving a Russian person with the nuclear football they would have locked all of those street's down forever. Before the trip.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Dom doesn't care about what someone did. He cares about the current situation.

Dom respects that Deckard cares about his Brother. And also cares about the fact Deckard saved his son when he literally had no reason to do so as Dom had already showed him where his brother was and his brother was free.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Ravel posted:

"When you find the guy that killed Han what are you going to do?"

"Words ain't even been invented yet"

Smash cut to Shaw replacing Han at their backyard barbecues.

Might give the dude who literally saves your son a pass

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Never. Shaw was always shown to care about his brother. He is Dom when soneobe comes after his team.

It makes sense with the theme of family that Deckard. Who cares about his would eventually gain Dom's respect .

Cyphers whole thing is no emotions no family. She doesnt care about anyone or anything. That is the thematic opposite of Dom. While Shaw is thematically the exact same.

Also that would put 3 hackers/techs in the family and who the gently caress needs that.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

That explains how they can bring Han back at least. A prequel.

Though I wonder how in the gently caress they go back to boosting VCRs amd poo poo.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/THR/status/916078089339359233

#FAMILY

But seriously gently caress yeah bringing Lin back for F9

quote:

Chris Morgan, who has shepherded the script chores since 2006's Toyko Drift, is now writing the spinoff that will focus on Luke Hobbs, the Diplomatic Security Service agent played by Johnson, and Deckard Shaw, an assassin character who was one of the primary bad guys in the franchise before being redeemed and joining the motley crew of antiheroes that make up the roll call.

Meanwhile, sources say that one reason for Fast 9's push was to accommodate potential director scheduling. Sources also say Justin Lin may be lining up to return to the franchise and is the top man to helm the core entry of Fast 9.

• Locked thread