Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Was surprised to see frailty established so quickly and consistently as the central theme of this. Very cool to have Deckard show up over and over as this looming specter of death that interjects himself into otherwise unrelated scenes and suddenly makes everything a lot more dangerous.

Central metaphor is the prince's supercar - when Dom and Brian find it, both men bristle at the thought of something so powerful and beautiful being contained. They then break it out of its cage, grim fuckin reaper shows up and shits on their plan, car turns out to have no brakes and thus be incredibly fragile, and it ultimately gets destroyed within like three minutes of getting freed.

Note also that Deckard's intro scene has him inverting a hospital into a place of death, and that Mr. Nobody calls him some variant of "ghost" a half dozen times. For those wondering why he got locked up rather than finished off, it's because that creeping inevitability of death is something you can triumph over in the moment but that you can't finish off.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot the most important part. My ranking goes 6 > 7 > 5 > 1 > 3 > 2 > 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Do the Rock and Tony Jaa get into it?

Nope, Jaa goes up against Walker.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
In Mean Bean Machine's defense I kinda cringed when I re-read that post. It is really awkwardly written.

But yeah it's still v. obviously at least heavily inspired by D&D. Diesel is a huge outspoken D&D nerd who wrote the foreword for an official book commemorating its 30th anniversary, and Lin convinced him to come back to the franchise by explaining his plan for it in terms of a D&D campaign. Those are kinda just facts and I'm not sure it actually makes anyone cooler to deny them.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

All I'm seeing in this one is the plane flicking the two cars into the air with its tail, like a whale might to a small boat.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
If you want to get really nitpicky then the Better Luck Tomorrow character is named Han Lue and the Fast and Furious is named Han Seoul-oh, but the explanation that makes the most sense is that one or both of these are aliases so let's go with that.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Chasiubao posted:

They should've CGI'd Gisele into all the Tokyo Drift scenes they used for Furious 7, and insisted she was just off screen the whole time in Tokyo Drift :colbert:

Giselle's dead by the time Tokyo Drift occurs, and that death kinda informs the aimless and pessimistic nature of where Han's philosophy has gone by then. He's still as chill and wry as he was in the prequels, but there's a lot of detachment there that 4-6 provide context for.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Quick question: Wikipedia says Russell's character is named Frank Petty. Did he ever give that name aloud? I only recall him introducing himself as Mr. Nobody.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

WhyteRyce posted:

Why didn't Dom slowly descend the towers by just jumping from one to the other, turning around, and jumping back into the tower he just came from

I mean I'm really happy with the scene we got, but now all I want is to have a single shot with no camera movement outside the towers, where every several seconds you see the car jump from one to another. Occasionally Deckard pops out and shoots the car.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
"Sky Mission" seemed like a strangely narrow focus at first, even if the airdrop scene is great. But then I remembered there's the towers in Abu Dhabi and the final set piece with the drone, so the story checks out.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

TheJoker138 posted:

In the F&F universe people still use iPods in 2015 and no one outside of Japan has heard of drifting yet.

Well to be fair, Tokyo Drift hadn't come out yet in that timeline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Also, nobody ever says "Samoan Hulk". Rome calls him the Hulk, Luda has him in his phone as Samoan Thor, and the London police captain calls him Captain America. It's one of my favorite pieces of goofy trivia

• Locked thread