Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

God drat this was hilarious.

Remember when they tried to make Jason Statham an intimidating villain?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Have you rewatched them recently? They're faithful as gently caress to the continuity they've established. They bring back loving everyone who even had a minor role in previous movies.

Usually in doing so they make even less sense.

stev fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'd love to see a full breakdown of the deaths caused by Dom "Fambly" Toretto and his psychopath friends. Including estimates of how many innocent civvies would definitely have been killed by that safe and the skyscraper incident regardless of how many times they show people not being killed.

That pileup in 8 must've killed hundreds at the very least. A lot of broken famblies there. Totally worth it Dom.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

got any sevens posted:

Well he also implied he was framed/thrown under the bus, like the Rock was for the emp at the start.

Yeah but that's definitely not true.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

KaptainKrunk posted:

Jason Statham being accepted as family despite killing Han and trying to kill Brian and Dom's sister and nephew makes perfect sense when you understand the ideology of Family.

It perfectly encapsulates how selfish and warped Dom is, yes.

Seriously he is a hosed human and should probably be in a secure facility for the rest of his days. Most movies would take his exact actions and motivations and have him be the villain. The heroes might understand and sympathise with him in the end, but he'll either be too far gone to save or will have to pay his many debts to society.

Why have they not taken Statham straight back to prison for that matter?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It would've been a way better setup for what a lovely human he is later in the film if he destroys the car, wins the race and completely forgets that his cousin was ever involved.

I suppose his cousin is fambly so they could've had the guy be a random acquaintance.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

hiddenriverninja posted:

The Rock was the most Rock he's ever been in a film, and it just got exhausting for me.

Yeah I did think it was a bit much the third time he said 'take that, libtards' directly into the camera.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

henpod posted:

I'm, thinking of taking my girlfriend to take FF8 but haven't seen any of them myself. Would this be a big problem? I know this series isn't Shakespeare and I don't mind big dumb action films - question is, is it entertaining enough on its own?

The more F&F films you watch, the less sense they make.

Also the Transformers franchise is a cynical, miserable mess. Often offensively so. F&F is dumb sludge, but it's generally good spirited and fun.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The title of this thread more than covers that though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So Dom essentially puts people who share his family values ahead of people actually in his supposed (non-blood) family.

By accepting the guy that executed a family member he's revealed himself to be completely full of poo poo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

TyrantWD posted:

Of the movies that came out in the last 20 years, the first Fast and the Furious is probably only topped by The Matrix in terms of having a sustained impact on pop culture around the globe.

Nah definitely not. F&F is massively successful but it's hardly a pop culture mainstay. Compared to poo poo like Lord of the Rings and Marvel it's a financial success but that's about it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Snowman_McK posted:

Well, Marvel is ongoing and knocks out about two movies a year to stay relevant, and I've not heard anyone bring up Lord of the Rings in quite some time. I have no idea what you're using as a metric for pop culture mainstay that Lord of the Rings hits that Fast and the Furious doesn't.

You said in the last 20 years. F&F is ongoing right now. If you're using 'what is popular today' as your metric then what's the point of looking backwards?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ravel posted:

The franchise might have been headed the Mission Impossible route were it not for Walkers death, the ending, the song, and the cast being clearly genuinely distressed about it on the press tour. That was the point when the film's family message transcended beyond the characters, to the cast and their interaction with each other and with the fans.

And it made them all a dumptruck of cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Adaptabullshit posted:

Apparently they are having a Live Arena Tour with original footage featuring Vin Diesel.

That's 76% as good as the real Vin Diesel!

• Locked thread