Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I'm pretty sure this movie has the only instance of Brian and Letty saying anything to each other ever.

"You good?"
"Thank you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Tokyo Drift is great because there is no good guy. Just one rear end in a top hat vying against another rear end in a top hat to be crowned King of the Assholes while being enabled by a suicidal rear end in a top hat who just seems to want to watch the world burn. No crime to solve, no heist, no drug lord to take down. All the men are assholes and all the women are whores. It's the id of Fast & Furious in its purest form.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

So is Dom's RX-7 from The Fast and the Furious still just sitting in that parking garage?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Romes128 posted:

It sets the precedent in the series that their cars are disposable.

Pretty sure that Charger gets rebuilt like 4 times.

I'd be worried about fatigue failure in the chassis.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Of course there's an F&F wiki.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The Notorious ZSB posted:

The biggest thing with the runway scene is that we see it as this continuous long shot, but you have to realistically assume that a lot of it is concurrent action. So it's still way too long, but not really as long as the run time in the film would make it out to be.

So while the fist fights are going on in the plane, the rest of the crew is outside trying to gun the wings and then it makes a modicum more sense. It's still impossibly long absurd but that helps a little for me anyway.

After contending with a goddamn spaceship and destroying half of downtown LA, suddenly the world's longest runway doesn't seem so ridiculous

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

PaganGoatPants posted:

Lin said it took him a year to come up with that or something.

Justin Lin probably has the best Hot Wheels tracks

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

Tokyo Drift is such a bizarrely good movie. It's a movie that, by all logic, should be dreadful.

And now we have four loving movies worth of context for everything that happens in it.

Did not expect that to happen when I saw it in 06.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

You just know 10 is gonna be some Star Trek Generations torch-passing horseshit

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Or it'll just end with the crew dying.

also how the gently caress did you end up with a red-title for liking Kodi? :psyduck: it's my main media player on my comp and I kinda love it

I got really frustrated with people in the cordcutting thread suggesting it to normal humans who just want to play their linux ISOs on their TV/Chromecast/XBox/Roku and spent a few days calling Kodi users dumb nerds and extolling the virtues of Plex, which is a better choice for 99% of the population. There may also have been some hate thrown at Linux and Usenet.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

JOHNNY TRAN.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

I absolutely loved this. The entire time I was going "God, this is dumb, can't wait for the scene where he betrays them." Turns out he just wants Dom to not drink lovely beer.

Dom seriously needs to reevaluate his beer preferences.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Starting to feel like maybe the shark got jumped when that robot spaceship showed up in F7.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

LesterGroans posted:

Helen Mirren confirmed she's in Fast 8.

Time for Fast and Furious to go R-rated with some nude scenes

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Tej has gone from fearing the tank to becoming the tank.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Theory: Hobbs is Jesse from the first one.

Also, he clenches his fists and the cuffs just snap apart.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The Rock is an intense man. I use his app.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

well why not posted:

How about gently caress off with the creepiness and the weird racist / nationalist vibes? Uncool to poo poo on other countries or races, least of all in the FF thread.

I'm glad I'm not the only one weirded out by that whole post

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

Channing Tatum and Terry Crews need to be in the F&F universe

Could we not just turn this poo poo into The Expendables?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The Rock probably has a little chip on his shoulder going into this. Fast and Furious is his biggest success as an actor, but he only started working on them during the fifth entry. Vin was in the first one and has a producer credit now. The Rock probably feels that he's the reason the franchise went to the next level, and isn't thrilled about basically being a hired hand in Vin's franchise. You have that tension, plus Vin maybe being a movie star about something one too many times, and you end up with bitchy Instagram posts near the end of what is probably a very demanding project. A Hobbs spinoff series will probably happen, with The Rock producing.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

All The Rock has to do is hold one arm out and wait for Vin Diesel to tire himself out.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Obviously I would never say anything bad about a Fast & Furious movie that isn't 2Fast 2Furious, but Furious 7 felt a bit odd because the movie was told from Dom's perspective. Granted, they had to do a lot of re-working after Paul Walker crossed the Rainbow Bridge and Protatonist/Audience Surrogate Dom was a hard-to-avoid consequence, but it still made the movie feel a bit...off at times. There's supposed to be some distance between Dom and the audience, that way there's some mystery to him and he's more interesting.

Apparently the geniuses behind these movies realized that and have fixed it in F8. Also very curious to see if Statham ends up joining the Family and how that whole "mudering lots of people in a hospital" thing from F7 gets addressed if so.

Pumped.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Tiger posted:

I've never watched a single F&F movie but I've seen the last few trailers, and drat if this isn't the last straw. I just moved into a new apartment where I'm setting up the main room with three couches and a projector for maximum movie night capacity. What's the viewing order for my Christmas marathon?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 3

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Coffee And Pie posted:

I was thinking about it, I genuinely enjoy the entire series, with the exception of 4 which is kinda tepid, but sets up for the back half of the franchise.

Yea other than the intro, which is great, I don't revisit 4 much. It's clearly a movie that exists to put all these disparate pieces back into place.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

well why not posted:

The homoeroticism was totally lost on me the first time I saw it, but on repeat viewings, it's a pretty gay movie.

Roman calls "dibs" on a Tawnee Stone-class Eclipse convertible with a vinyl wrap.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

For real though, watch Better Luck Tomorrow somewhere before 3 cause it's a secret origin story for Han.

Also watch the entire run of Home Improvement so you can find out how Brad Taylor ended up driving a Viper to high school.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

well why not posted:

The best thing they could do is just have Han show up and deflect any questions about how he's back. Even Shaw doesn't know.

No, this is the best thing they could do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w9DUTcAI0o

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

I want to say 7 had enough of that scene in it, with new stuff as well, that you don't need to do this. I know the main guy from 3 ages 20 years in a single cut in 7.

That's how hard Dom beat him in their race.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Future generations of school children will write essays about The Fast and the Furious they way we had to about Beowulf. This is our epic poem.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

No poo poo, but isn't it mysterious how the male extras in these scenes are framed wearing expensive clothes, draped in women, and reveling in their power and prestige while the women fill up the frame with their tits and asses?

Are we going to pretend that there's not a power differential here?

Yes, human civilization is bad sometimes.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Wandle Cax posted:

The best part of 4 is the street race which is the best straight up racing scene in the series.

It's true, 4's street race was excellent. So many parts of 4 work great.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Cardboard Box A posted:

F4 does have the best vehicular homicide scene in the series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t867tCFccE

Also first use of the wheelie to avoid gunshots

Only Dom can run over a dude on foot and then call him a pussy.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

NBC is doing their part for brand awareness and showing Fast & Furious 6 right now. If you've ever wanted to see it cropped to 16x9 with the swears edited out, here's your chance.

Can't remember the last time I saw a movie on network prime time air. Wait, yes I do, when NBC did their part for brand awareness and showed Jurassic Park when Jurassic World came out.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I think NBC pulled the same move with Schindler's List a couple of times. Broadcast titties, y'all!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

KaptainKrunk posted:

I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about 4 and 7 (and 6, although to a much lesser extent) just feels off compared to the rest of the series. They feel soulless.

I feel the same way, but I can excuse both of them. 4 just had a ton of work it had to do to reassemble the franchise's diaspora and set the stage for future movies, and it's hard to get that done while also having a good caper. 7 was likely a very different movie before Paul Walker returned to the source. The shift in perspective to Dom being the audience surrogate had weird tonal consequences - the audience is supposed to have some distance from Dom. He's supposed to have some mystery to him. I hope they figured that out for 8. I'm betting they did.

6, I think, is a victim of 5's success.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Guy really doesn't want his franchise stolen by The Rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Does she have a favorite soup?

• Locked thread