Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I loved the movie, but sort of pine for what could have been for it had Paul Walker not died. The sequences where they replaced him were really well handled, and not overly obvious, but they clearly had to adjust the plot enough to where I feel like wow it could have been even better.

I could only count maybe 5 scenes where he was filled in where it seemed obvious:

- When they blew up the house, the entire conversation felt like it was meant for him and Mia then they had to abridge it to include Dom
- Mia & Brian's chat at the DR house before he joins up with the crew
- Inside the plane where he had almost no lines
- The long shot away from the Abu Dhabi buildings, I think it's mostly him for huge chunks of that, but the last bit was clearly spaced to be okay with it not being actually him
- The group chat from on top of the hill that 1 starts at, he doesn't say much and they largely kept him shot from the back.
- Obviously the car sequence at the end, but I wonder if they had enough footage of PW smiling and easy driving to just cut that footage into that sequence. So maybe it was him, just post editing magic (I WANT TO BELIEVE)

I think this definitely rates high on my entertainment scale, but I do think 5 and 6 were better formulated films (again perhaps due to the loss of PW). The end sequence just so many feels. I saw it twice this weekend, and I expect I'll see it 1 or 2 more times in theaters.

5=3>6>7>2>1>4.

I also understand my love for #2 which puts it above 1 & 4 is mostly based on personal love and not the actual quality of the film. 4 has the best pure race sequence, but the tunnel racing and the huge reboot nature of it bum me out (also that Letty didn't stay dead). I want 3 to stand on top, but the fact that it's ultimately become F&F JDM Sidestory kinda drops it a bit for me now that we have the complete arc that encompasses it. So for me 5&3 are on top and then from there. I tend to judge them based on my enjoyment of them vs how good a film they actually are since the first two from a production standpoint are clearly the last if judged by that criteria. 3 is the best philosophically for me since it's the most honest version of the franchise imo, selfish people doing selfish things for selfish reasons where if there is no racing there is no movie.

VVVVV e: He was never really a super hacker, in 2F2F he was basically billed as a super connected dude who would get you whatever in that scene. He's more organizer than tech whiz, but it's also implied he knows his way around lots of stuff and is a bit of renaissance man which is why I think they filled him in as the quasi smarts of the group with tech later. It isn't so outside of our ability to believe he loves cars and paid the bills some IT way before. Even in 2F he really can do just about whatever is needed of him.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

The biggest thing with the runway scene is that we see it as this continuous long shot, but you have to realistically assume that a lot of it is concurrent action. So it's still way too long, but not really as long as the run time in the film would make it out to be.

So while the fist fights are going on in the plane, the rest of the crew is outside trying to gun the wings and then it makes a modicum more sense. It's still impossibly long absurd but that helps a little for me anyway.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Thank you so much for this gorgeous magic.

I'm also still sad they offed Giselle, esp seeing that Shaw is somehow not dead in this film, but it was required to make Han into the Han of Tokyo Drift.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Shadowhand00 posted:

I forgot if its shown in the 6th one. What was the result of the Roulette Roll?

I always assumed it landed on green since they were both so insistent NO ALL RED/ALL BLACK they also have a dejected look when you hear it land.

The movie was great for a 4th time. My only gripe is that Wan used the rolling camera trick about 2 or 3 times too many. Lots of music and visual ques to the former films, Dom wearing his shop shirt with his name on it from the first movie when they return to LA was a great touch I missed the first couple times, although that thing has to have been defunct for years now I'm amazed he still has it

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

teagone posted:

I wish these were the titles in the US too :(

Those titles are way to JDM for America. Even given how silly the movies can be.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

There's an article at AVClub on how much VFX they had to do for Paul Walker with the exact scenes. I was sure about the couple the end but for most of the others, I had no idea.

http://www.avclub.com/article/finally-answer-how-much-paul-walkers-performance-f-227074

I'm actually sorta surprised that the finale pieces to a number of the action sequences turned out to be VFX. Although I guess it's not super surprising that a couple of the last detail moments needed to be added later when doing a shooting schedule. Also would not have guessed them chillin at the beach in Dubai would have been CG either.

A lot of them are p obvious in the film, although I think they did a really stellar job of making it look as natural as possible.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

It doesn't matter who the villain is, it's going to be loving amazing. Give me more cars and things going boom and zoom!

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Scyantific posted:

Yo what's up with this feud bullshit that's running around the rumor mills right now?

Yeah can't wait for some details to come out about that, I wouldn't want to be on the Rock's bad side.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I have no idea what the gently caress has to happen for this trailer to make any sense and that is probably a good thing. The action appears to be even further balls to the walls so like someone else already said I'm prepared to accept just about any and all plot contrivances to entertain me in this franchise.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Trailer was crazy and I will watch whatever they produce for this series at this point. It might as well be an outlet for my addiction to car tom foolery.

2F2F does not get enough credit for taking itself completely unseriously. It also has the best one liners, and we would not have Tej or Roman without it. Thankfully they left the shittier side kicks behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

It's maybe not the worst thing ever that it's getting delayed after the haphazard mess that was 8. I really enjoyed it the first time, but its place in the pantheon slips just about each time I revisit it (only been like twice which also speaks to it's status).

I have no strong opinions one way or the other about a Hobbs/Shaw spin off. I hope that it is at least entertaining but their scenes in 8 had some real split personalities about them.

• Locked thread