Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!

Gatts posted:

And I'll second the impressive action work from Walker, he looked like he might actually be able to hang with Tony Jaa for moments.

This struck me as a cool sort of characterization for Brian, almost, just because the past few movies have established his fighting style as being really well adapted to close-quarters combat. Characters like Dom and Hobbs are great in fights because they're so big and strong that they just cause ridiculous amounts of collateral damage -- pretty much every fight one/both of them are in ends up destroying the entire set. Brian's fights, like the two with Jaa, the one on the flatbed in the Fast Five train chase, or the one in the prison cell in Fast Six, all show that he's really nimble, he takes advantage of his environment, and he can hold his own in a tight space even when he's way outnumbered. It was cool to see that they maintained that consistency in Seven.

Also, regarding the second Jaa fight, the door/stairway slide deserves way more attention than it gets, because that kicked rear end. Plus, you knew that Brian was gonna bust out the "too slow" line as a finishing burn, but I love that he himself was so committed to doing it that he hurriedly called it out to the dude to make sure he heard it before falling to his death. He saw his moment, and he wasn't about to let it get away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
I also really loved the foreshadowing with the Mrs. Alpha line. It's offhanded enough in the moment that you don't give it a second thought, but it makes the reveal later on so much better.

• Locked thread