Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
I just came back from the movie. Loved it.

This franchise is like the world's tallest Jenga tower.

Like, it started out with a solid foundation of underground street racing and from there they just kept deciding to top it. Brick by brick. At first you didn't notice; the second movie upped the stakes a little, shifted the genre slightly, but it still looked like the same tower-- you could tell they came from the same foundation. By the time you get to 7 and see The Rock rip out a gatling gun from a drone and use it to take down a helicopter you really start to admire the movie not just on those merits but on the sheer tenacity of the entire franchise.

Take a step back and that small stakes game of Jenga is all of a sudden the tallest loving wooden tower you've ever seen. It's swaying back and forth with entire genre shifts making it seem like each new film is just topple the franchise under its own weight. But they don't. They keep topping it. The characters are so solid and the movies are so fun that it holds. Justin Lin and now James Wan are so dexterous that they're just showing off how high they go can at this point. When the Diesel starts up the car in the locked vault of the Dubai penthouse you see Wan wiggling the middle block and you think no way, this is gonna be the one but to do it in but by the time the car flies through the second building you see Wan just casually set the piece on top like it's no biggie as he's already eyeing the next piece to make the series go even bigger.

Half the reason I love the series is because it's so goddamn preposterous how they got from the first movie to here. Every time Walker scales a falling bus loaded with enough artillery to defeat a land war you have to pause and remember that he started out going undercover to stop some TVs from getting stolen. The sleight of hand these movies make to make these narrative leaps seem so effortless is just astounding.

In a world where every multi universe epic series is planned from the start, you just have to admire the roots of this superhero franchise.

I want them to get to number 14 just to see how high this Jenga tower can go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

Yaws posted:

Just to be clear, these movies are dumb on purpose right? I think I've only seen the first one but that trailer is loving ridiculous.

They're a parody of Torque.

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So what happens to Brian?

It's actually funny, the whole movie felt like the Crispin Glover scenes in Hot Tub Time Machine. I thought for sure they were going to kill Brian off and each action scene kept inching closer and closer to his death. By the last scene I thought he was going to get eaten by a shark or something. I'm happy with the ending but I kept expecting something different.

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

Echo Chamber posted:

I think one factor that helped the franchise's initial success (before Lin's retooling), that isn't brought up too often when people explain the series, was Roger Ebert.

Not only did he give the first (and second) movie thumbs up; he repeatedly defended the movie against Roeper. I remembered he even brought up the movie when he and Roeper were guests on Leno as one of their big disagreements. Ebert was thrilled how the movie was about cars with good stunts and practical effects. (In contrast to Gone in 60 Seconds and other forgettable car movies the years before it.) More importantly, while most critics panned the movie for being dumb, Ebert was the big exception. I'll just link to the review so here it is. Ebert helped maintain the franchise's fragile critical credibility when most others were already reducing the films to a punchline. And Ebert continued to defend the movies on the second and third; only disliking the 4th (because it sucked), before liking the fifth again.

That review is amazing:

Ebert posted:

The races involve cars four abreast at speedway speeds down city streets. This would be difficult in Chicago, but is easy in Los Angeles because, as everybody knows, L.A. has no traffic and no cops.

Ebert posted:

He works for a unit that has its undercover headquarters in a Hollywood house, and as he enters it his boss says, "Eddie Fisher built this house for Elizabeth Taylor in the 1950s." I am thinking: (1) This is almost certainly true or it would not be said in a movie so stingy with dialogue, and (2) Is this the first time Paul has seen his unit's office?

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

Dexo posted:

They are about to become a super secret black ops team working on missions that can be handled by no one else. Those missions being handed out by Kurt loving Russel.

Fast 10 is going to have them overthrowing governments and assassinating presidents and poo poo.

I could see Fast 10 being like Armageddon but instead of oil drillers it's the rag tag street racing team.

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
Now I really want to see Nic Cage (who used to work for the government but went rogue) run an underground shadow version of Kurt Russell's organization and see them fight off in the end after using everything and everyone in their arsenal to destroy the other person.

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
At this point this is the improv group of action series. Each new movie just keeps saying "yes, and" while throwing more outrageous stuff into the canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
Universal kept bragging that the franchise was their highest grossing at 2.8 billion (after six movies that's an easy statement to make I think) but this movie just made over a third of that by itself.

• Locked thread