Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

this hatred for cool game with king k rool boxing match will not stand.

I was too bad at games to ever get to K Rool as a kid, so I was legit overjoyed when i finally saw the battle when they played it during AGDQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

posted anime in gbs

That's an offense in gbs? Does anime just hit too close to home for them, so they're afraid of it?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I enjoy noted posters Taint Reaper and Adam Bowen. They're like benign tumors that are sometimes cute, but everyone freaks the gently caress out for no valid reason.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Different voice actors change things a lot. Idk if it's David hayter's delivery or just getting used to it over the years. But Kiefer Sutherland ' acting really made me realize how loving dumb Big Boss' questions are and how unsuitable he is for a leadership position.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

BabyRyoga posted:

I need a game to play, April Games Chat Thread

Tell me which of the following mostly unrelated games I should play next:

龍が如く0 (Yakuza Zero) for ps4
Dragon Quest Heroes for ps4
Legend of Legacy for 3ds
Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines for vita
Pillars of Eternity on steam

Assuming yakuza zero is part of the yakuza series. Play that. It will easily be the most exciting of those games. And probably the best writing.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
On playing Pillars of Eternity and looking through steam. I can only surmise that I have time travelled back to 1990. Back when games were allowed to look like poo poo, have nonsensical writing, and gameplay never went through testing.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Drunk me going through the steam Queue: "Hell yeah I'll add Fallout tactics to my wishlist, at least it has an excuse to look like poo poo.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

Good. gaming was better back then.

Ah yes, gaming was better when it looked like poo poo, controlled like a boat on land, and the story was written by your average 4chan user. lol.

Like seriously, bethesda has better writing than pillars, and it looks like a PS1 game. I grew up on that generation, so i can still enjoy it, but jesus christ what happened to having standards?

Edit, actually that's unfair to the PlayStation. Most of the graphics in Pillars besides the character models are worse looking than 8bit games. Why are you suggesting more isometric games to me steam? Why are you even allowing people to publish games that look 10+years old when they're brand new?

Nasgate fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 10, 2015

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Realtalk though, why are 90s style isometric games coming back? Anyone have a clue?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

zen death robot posted:

you have to try harder than that to get someone to buy you a title, just so you know

Well yeah, you have to have to have weird hosed up opinions, or be funny to get someone to buy you a title. My posts aren't that funny, and my thoughts are moreso what everyone thinks but doesn't admit to thinking than hosed up poo poo like Taint thinking the Gamecube was a bad console.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Eonwe posted:

oh its white noise posting

thats what it is

The irony is thick enough for Mario to jump on.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

the only good game from the nineties was sid meier's gettysburg

:agreed:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Actually I lied. Steambot Chronicles is still the best game I've ever played.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Been playing Dragon Age: origins.

I feel like it and pillars have the same problem. That's a problem endemic to lots of games apparently.

The intro quest is the most well put together, and allows more player freedom than the rest of the game.

Luckily dragon age had enough staff to actually put almost as much love in the rest of the game, so I'll play a lil while longer.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

There hasn't been a new Sega Compilation since Sonic's Sega Genesis Collection.

Capcom and SNK haven't release any retro compilations either. and Nintendo only put out NES remix which sucks because they couldn't be bothered to put the actual games on the disc and I hate playing scraps of already existing games. Retro compilations are some of my favorites to collect and I've got the majority of them on the PS2 and Wii. The PS2 had over 100 Atari games between two compilations and like 80 taito games and everything ran around 20 bucks and under.

Now you need to pay like 10 dollars in imaginary fake money to buy digital downloads of a single old game. I Even got Data East Aracde Classics because Ninja caveman/Joe & Mac by itself is some insane price.

Look on the bright side: at least you don't need to swipe twelve cards through your e-reader.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

I was promised a surprise Anime bonus on every page. Well, where is it?

Mods, please rename to "Icantfindanime"

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Vorik posted:

Do those MGS games usually have summaries of past games or something to bring new players up to speed? I just saw a gameplay trailer for the new one and it looks good. thanks

They only summarize games that are important to them. So Phantom Pain will probably talk about mgs3, Peacewalker, and Ground Zeroes.

Mgs1, 2, and 4 have no relevance to the newest one because the are in modern times/future.

That said, you can completely ignore peace walker and ground zeroes. But I'd recommend at least watching a let's play of mgs3. Since mgs3 is a game that needs to be experienced, if not played.

Our very own chip cheezum and ironicus have a rather good lp of mgs3.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
If you do enough drugs, bio wares writing seems bearable.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Killer instinct is cool because you can be a skeleton man. Not enough games let you play as skeletons, which is a drat shame.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Ohhhhh banana.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The best part of argonia is the subway systems they have.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Howard Phillips posted:

Is there a DOTA 2 Goon league? I'm tired of playing pub with random Mexicans and Ukrainians on break from the fighting. (Mostly can't communicate with them).

As someone who requested days off work to watch ti4. And as someone who has played 2k+ hours of Dota 2. Don't play Dota2.

If you wish to persist, there's dota threads, an irc or two, and an lljk channel in-game.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Howard Phillips posted:

Why the regret? Sounds like you got some wisdom to bestow.

Basically, no matter how good or how inebriated you are, you will reach at best 1 out of 3 games being enjoyable. And since your average game is an hourish long, that means you get one hour of a good time, for two hours of grueling poo poo.

No game is ever won out of skill, not even pro games. It's all about making your opponent rage as autistically as possible. Or in pro games where the teams can actually hold their composure, it's about busting out strategies the other hasn't played against before, because adaptation is not a skill that's needed for Dota2.

The problem is that most people think the game is skill and/or knowledge based. So then you get idiots who read on reddit that you should build a hero this way, and never deviate from it. And then they rage at anyone for doing not that, even if it's a completely different circumstance than the build is for.

Dota 2 is a race against time trying to keep your teams morale up longer than the enemy team.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Hammerwatch is extremely good. Gauntlet is also pretty solid, flashier but shorter than Hammerwatch.

I personally loved playing Age of Wonders 3 while on curse with a friend of mine.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

CJacobs posted:

The block button in Mortal Kombat is kinda useless, especially in X, because most standard attacks are so instantaneous that blocking them by accident is way more plausible than blocking them on purpose. Combo breaking with the block button is useful because it lets you beat your way out of an infinite combo... but blocking itself serves basically no purpose when you could just counterattack instead. Also, you can't block x-rays in the same manner as normal attacks because they hit 3 times before the x-ray happens which is weird.

edit: I think some of my online victories so far are purely down to the fact that the other person blocked while I played aggressively. I'm assuming that in those cases they expected me to also block their attacks but I've hit the block button voluntarily like 3 times outside of dragon challenges and combo breaking so it was not a factor.

You mean being aggressive and only blocking when you need to is how you win in a fistfight? :monocle:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Finally got Shadow of Mordor. It's pretty good and fun. I like that you get to decide the difficulty of the game fluidly by ultra preparing or giving death threats.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Jesus christ Does Shadows of Mordor have a lovely ending. The rest of the game is fantastic though.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I have yet to play the DLC myself, but one promises more Dwarf bro time, so that's a plus already. I will give a trip report when i do get to it. probably tonight.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The hunter DLC re-uses the second map. Acts like you have done everything except the very final mission. has more story missions with Torvin, which owns. Also adds stealth Caragors, and projectile vomiting Graugs.

I have only played a couple missions, but so far definitely pretty awesome if only because you can stealth kill from above with the stealth caragor cousins very large distances. Also, stealth Sabretooth Tigers killing orcs everywhere you go.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Four days after Steam introduced paid mod programs to everyone's chagrin, Valve just pulled it out.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140608-Valve-Ends-Paid-Mod-Program-On-Steam-Workshop

I am extremely sad, the death of ES modding communities would have been a net gain for gamers everywhere IMHO

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

The Colonel posted:

Timesplitters 2 really kicks rear end. Just wish it was on PC because the only thing I'm not liking about it is the aiming, otherwise it actually holds up pretty well and is like a much less dated Goldeneye/Perfect Dark.

The best part of Timesplitters 2 was that their Oddjob character was a monkey that screams loud as hell all the time so you can hear him before you see him. Psychological weapons in FPS games are the best.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

I wish valve would make First Person Shooters again.

Everything is Call of Duty and I really want some clean and pristine looking science shooter games that look like everything is taking place in the Apple Store.

Taint reaped again.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

Really I'll just come out and say that the N64 was a bad console and the Game Cube was better than it in every way.

The Ps2 is the only thing stopping the Cube from being the best Console of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

look at the retard baby who never had a colecovision

That's Garbage Dick to you.

• Locked thread