Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

:eyepop:

Things I didn't ever expect to see: Microsoft extending an olive branch to Nintendo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Harrow posted:

I do not understand amiibos. I Googled them and also Wikipedia'd them and I still don't get it.

They're cheaply made plastic trophies of Nintendo characters, with some chips embedded in the base. They interact with Nintendo consoles and games in numerous different ways; tapping them on the Gamepad or 3DS gives you different effects for a bunch of current and upcoming games, primarily 'extra bits' of DLC to slightly enhance your gaming experience. They started out as a pretty harmless endeavor until Nintendo neglected to continue making half of each wave, leading to massive shortages and crazy scalper value.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Weren't there tons of issues, though? Like wasn't the Goldeneye HD version that came to XBOX specifically different in its core gameplay because Nintendo refused to let Rare use the same engine?

He's referring to Diddy Kong Racing DS. Also, they haven't ever forced Nintendo to censor things in Rare Donkey Kong ports, like the Killer Instinct arcade machine or the Jetpac game in DK64.

Excels fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 3, 2015

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Ahundredbux posted:

Roses are red a violet bead.

Play video games while smoking mad weed.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

who is adam bowen. tried to think of an adam bowen post and literally couldnt remember one.

i don't know where he posted prior to his arrival in the gamers.txt thread, but he provoked people into arguing about social justice and feminism instead of "funny poo poo gamers say" and derailed every consecutive thread until the mods just deep-six'd it. although to be fair, he was laying really dumb, easy bait and getting a ton of bites. if people had just ignored him, things might have been different

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

Amiibo people are worse than bronies because atleast you can find the toys at stores months from now and they have supply ready and waiting.

i dont even understand what the gently caress this comment says. but i can tell you there are some amiibo that are already "out of print" and will never be restocked, because nintendo is fuckin dumb and thinks the priority is what the toys activate on consoles, rather than "holy poo poo official nintendo figures of characters besides mario"

so you get a bunch of stores piled with five overproduced characters, like mario and DK and pikachu, and then all the figures people actually want are one-offs, leading to pre-orders for a fuckin jigglypuff toy selling out within 2 minutes of going up on amazon

some of these people haven't slept in like 3 days because wave 4 preorders were late going up on amazon

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

the gold mario amiibo is hella funny because it gives off the illusion of value simply by being gold, regardless of how rare it is.

poo poo is gold, nuff said

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

why are they doing that, though? :stare:

because if they miss the instant those preorders go up, there is a good chance the toy they want will then be unattainable without paying several times the retail price. some places are selling out so fast that you could be second in line and still be too late to get one.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I generally enjoy Nintendo's products but it's amazing how they've been a business this long and still can't manage basic things like supply and demand.

to be fair i don't think nintendo was anticipating insane people like the guy who bought $4000 worth of Rosalina amiibos out of actual genuine autistic hatred of the character.

gamestop employees are also putting themselves at the top of preorder lists, or just withholding stock just to see which ones they can take home and resell. there's a lot of hosed up poo poo happening in the amiibo trading world right now.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

Oh yeah sure a Japanese company that is located in Japan has no idea how insane collectors are out there.

it's actually kind of amazing how ignorant japanese businessmen are about a lot of things. nintendo is only just now taking baby steps into markets that other companies cornered a decade ago. the internet is still sort of a mystery to them

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

why are there people talking to taint reaper

i don't know, why did he get forums cancer and then get it lifted, instead of just being banned

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Bleusilences posted:

I wont get an Amiibo but it's seems great for kid and the asking price isn't so bad. It just I dont really see the point to own more then one of them.

too bad like half of these things will never even reach store shelves, and several will never reach the hands of the kids they are aimed at because of nutjob scalpers

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

THE PENETRATOR posted:

i can write down a list of names of people who need to quit posting and it's everyone who has posted itt

just gas this whole loving subforum

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Adam Bowen posted:

You are as mad about Amiibos as people in Israel and Palestine are about their dead relatives. What does it look like when you actually give a poo poo about something?

i can't remember the last time i actually, genuinely cared about something.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

just out of curiosity, how accurate is this

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Eonwe: Let's aggressively purge everything political from our discussion space.

Narrator: But he did not know that all things are political, because of paradigms or something, probably.

Eonwe: W-what the--? *fades into nonexistence*

Narrator: There is no escaping politics. Dialectics. Dianetics. Die. Die. Die.

*Twilight Zone Theme*

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

they're making a five nights at freddys hollywood movie

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I opened the ZElda thread once and they were talking about discrepancies in the canonical Zelda timeline

The Zeldapedia has a disclaimer on their Hyrule Historia page stating that the "official" timeline is unreliable because it doesn't line up with their meticulously researched chronology

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

every thread in Games has the same handful of people posting in it

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

any place that gets on their high horse over the term "human being" is a place you shouldn't bother posting

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

:justpost:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

i wonder how many actual murderers have posted on SA

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

here is a deep personal secret about me, maybe TMI for some people:

I like video games, many of them are fun to play, even some popular ones.

i have seen people make this "joke" so many times that my brain automatically converts it into a puff of white noise

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

It bothers me when people diss FFIX even though I know how stupid that is. Sometimes your brain just makes you care too much about dumb poo poo. Something about video games stimulates this exact feeling, leading to "gamer culture"

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Adam Bowen posted:

It's because deep down you know FFIX is actually bad and you only like it because of circumstances that existed around when you first played it

i bet you never even beat the game with Cinna's Hammer and all Hawaiian Gear equipped, you loving pleb

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Alain Post posted:

I really want to do FF8 at some point because it seems like the weirdest one.

it was the first time square had a full team doing the localization, so of course they decided to write the most confusing poo poo loving possible.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

people still argue on forums to this loving day that rinoa is ultimecia

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Alain Post posted:

TML had better level design than the base game which was nice. Unfortunately the same studio released Thief in the meantime which was not nice.

the people who made thi4f were probably laid off

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

the standards are different there, and they have a much different perception of "beauty".

truthfully the "diehard" otaku make up such a tiny portion of the overall population, it's sort of a miracle they can sustain such a massive industry.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

DQ heroes

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

I have found my copies of breath of fire, wife put them back on the dreamcast floor rack after internet show people dropped them off since they were done filming.

She thought all black border single disc jewelcases looked the same(that also thought sony only put their games in fat multi disc cases and never used single disc jewel cases)

what a totally unremarkable story

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

where do the otaku get the money to buy so much expensive anime poo poo.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

they're making Lego Skylanders, which claims it will have continued support for "years to come"

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

A Spider Covets posted:

i just found out from imp zone that silent hills is canceled and im sad, i was really looking forward to making GBS threads my pants

the only person making GBS threads their pants is kojima because his boss is taking his entire legacy of hard work from him and he can't do poo poo and konami will sit on his precious fox engine and crank out years of crap with it, while rolling in MGS pachinko money

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

goddamn i hate this loving link face i'm going to imageblock it

i am not offended if you do the same

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

yeah i heard diablo 3 was poo poo and then they just went "oops, our bad" and fixed it right away and made it good again.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Although they are still listed on the London and Tokyo stock exchange, and that delisting only applied to their pachinko division in NY, which was safer to just dump and refund shareholders than risk bad news leading to their stock going down and then being dumped.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

theultimo posted:

One of the developers of Dolphin is no more
https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2015/04/25/commemoration-rachel-bryk/

:( I love the emu .

apparently she went on 4chan and said she'd been thinking of killing herself and shitposters goaded her to do it, and then she did

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Motto posted:

Why the gently caress would you go to 4chan of all sites for support, especially if you're using your identity and are openly transsexual?

she has a trip so odds are she posted on that board a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

pre-order just cause 3 and get cars with guns on them

or you could just shoot your gun from the window of a normal car th-that's fine too

hmmm i wonder if all the fun stuff will be added in paid mods??????

• Locked thread