Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

But did Stokes check the "organ donor" box?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

We really shouldn't be denying people a heart transplant because they might die in a car accident, since that's one of the most likely situations where you'll be getting the heart back.

Non-compliance with rejection meds will destroy the heart of course, but this guy was obviously complying so no issues there.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 3, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

zVxTeflon posted:

Normal people dont really get into car accidents while running from cops in a stolen car. This wasn't just gee whiz bad luck

No I don't think you get what I am saying. Reckless people who we think are more likely to die in car accidents are better candidates because we know they're just borrowing the heart for a bit and we can give it to someone else after.

As opposed to someone who we think just won't take the meds, which destroys the heart.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah, if that kid were white, his parents would never have contacted anyone. I'm sure they would have been like "gently caress him, that white Christian cishet shitlord is tainted with the blood of slaves."

White people never get organs after a huge public campaign, when will the discrimination end :qq:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Neither would that 10-year-old girl have gotten lungs, but the parents of only one of the children are accused of race-baiting.
Hmmmmmm...

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

People aren't cackling maniacally over this kid's death, no.

This thread is more about smug little smiles, quiet satisfaction, and knowing nods.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

Time will tell if that was a good idea either.

It will.

Want to bet on how many people will come out of the woodwork calling her parents race-hustlers if it goes bad?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Seriously, the souls of Iraqi children are a scarce resource too, and we let Cheney harvest them to keep his decrepit corporeal form functioning even as doctors warned him that his noncompliance with their medical recommendation to stop channeling the powers of the darkest hells would just land him back on the list.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Or maybe hyu-mons have sympathy for terminally ill teenagers and if you put pictures of sick kids on TV and the internet, there will be a lot of public support and pressure to do everything we can for them?

:goonsay:"But who would have sympathy for a Negro? Must have been white guilt"
-Goons

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

tumblr.txt posted:

If you can only pick one person to save, of course. It makes more sense to pick Susie, who is a straight-A student who volunteers for charity on the weekend, instead of Bob the noted car thief.

The public was not presented with this choice. They were shown pictures of one cute 15-year-old kid in a hospital bed talking about wanting a second chance. The same thing was done for the 10-year-old white girl, and that worked too, even though a cold rational calculus would say that adult lungs should go to larger people who are more likely to survive if we want to maximize life.

But people aren't rational, and in both cases pictures of one cute kid vs some vague Other Person On The List worked to get public sympathy. The fact that you think white guilt is the only way a person might have sympathy for the black child who was rejected is quite frankly bizarre.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You sound like you care, because you really really want to use it as a soapbox for why black people get all the breaks, even though your only proof for race-baiting being involved was "well, he was black! Race-baiting is what they do!"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

tumblr.txt posted:

What the hell? Please, quote which posts of mine you read to reach that conclusion. Are you sure you're not mixing me up with someone else?

tumblr.txt posted:

Vitalsigns posted:

"But who would have sympathy for a Negro teenager with 11 arrests and multiple burglary/firearms charges? Must have been white guilt"
-Goons

This kind of implied to me that you were jumping on the "the only reason that PR campaign worked is because he was black" train. If I misinterpreted then, I apologize.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I hosed up quoting it because of the way nested quotes work. Let's all agree that it's there.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

How is a medic supposed to evaluate a general's competence to know whether to let him die or not?

If the medic can tell you that Ridgeway would handle the Korean War better than MacArthur, maybe you've got him in the wrong job?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TheImmigrant posted:

Yes, it was. Mantle and Stokes shared a high risk of premature death due to lifestyle.

This is not the reason Stokes was denied.

And Mantle had already given up drinking long before the transplant. His post-treatment lifestyle did not contribute to his heath. Giving him a liver was a medical decision based on his current health, not on what they thought he might do in the future.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Those people are mostly poor and/or black though, so according to my moral calculus if we spend money on them they'll just waste it. We should be cutting taxes instead.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kaal posted:

I think that the key thing to consider is that if Stokes had been a troubled white kid using his church connections to get pushed to the top of the heart transplantation list, ahead of a bunch of black kids, then people would have not been nearly as willing to join his bandwagon.

So you're admitting you're just making things up now.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kaal posted:

Hey that's just bigotry, he had selfies without stupid hats:

Wow those photos really frighten you huh?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kaal posted:

Lol you are so out of touch with the 21st century. These photos are just some idiot kid trying to impress his buddies. But it's hilarious that he apparently didn't take any other kind of photo.

You should probably tell this to your fellow reactionaries who are pissing their pants so hard they can barely type.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kaal posted:

Yes and the letter states clearly that the decision was based on a history of non-compliance. Here's the letter: http://genius.com/2091762/Childrens...-non-compliance

Which was an incorrect prediction, since he obviously complied with his medication if he could be that physically active two years later

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Why did no one listen to the doctors when they predicted he would die in a crime spree and refused the transplant on that basis?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

He's not physically active now due to his decisions.

Which were not the basis for denying him the transplant.

You just want to go back and read what happened later into the doctor's decision.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

I never said it was the basis. Your projecting is really obnoxious.

Then explain the relevance.

The doctors rejected him because they worried he would not comply with his medication. This prediction was wrong. The fact that he died committing a crime two years later isn't really relevant to what happened during treatment.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

He got public support because he was a child and the public responds to pictures of cute kids on TV. Parents of all races have used and do use the exact same tactics to get support to overrule a hospital's decision and I even posted an example earlier.

That you think white guilt is the only reason people will have sympathy for a black child is...strange, at best.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

They would have been, but racists tend to have a problem holding back where pictures of scary blacks are concerned.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's not as funny the third time seeing it.

Seeing racists who still can't hold back with the photos is the new hilarious joke, keep going.

<-----------------:love: yes, just like that I love it.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Apr 5, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SedanChair posted:

VitalSigns posted:

It's not as funny the third time seeing it.

Seeing racists who still can't hold back with the photos is the new hilarious joke, keep going.

<-----------------:love: yes, just like that I love it.
The anger they feel is incredible.

I don't know how I feel about you quoting my arrow to make it point at you :gay:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Interesting to see all the pro gun-control posts appearing in this thread.

Maybe the United States should have regulation that does a better job keeping guns out of the hands of teenagers, then frightening pictures like these won't happen. Eh?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

tumblr.txt posted:

I don't know US law that well, but I'm pretty sure minors and felons are already prohibited from owning pistols. If so then he's already breaking the law & better enforcement is needed. If not, if you can suggest a better way to realistically keep guns out of the hands of criminals (keeping in mind there are already ~300 million out there), without inconveniencing innocent people, I'm all ears.

Remember money for law enforcement / health / public services is finite, so please give a rough cost benefit analysis before suggesting something that will bankrupt the USA.

Ah, that's what I thought. No interest in improving regulation or enforcement, just impotent handwringing about teenagers with guns.

I'm cool keeping things the same; I like my guns. I'm not the one quivering in fear at the super common phenomenon of teenagers getting access to guns though. I accept that this will basically happen in our current legal environment. Maybe ask them what they want to do?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

In addition, guns are big money in the USA and going up against that lobby takes huge resources that are probably better spent elsewhere.

But I don't know, maybe one of the people saying a teenager should never be able to get his hands on a gun has some ideas. I'd certainly be up for hearing about them since the sight of an American teenager with a gun is apparently so shocking and disturbing to some Americans, instead of just the status quo with our current system.

E: Plus I think it's better to let the right come up with gun control proposals. Either it makes for a more productive conversation since it's a collaboration instead of stonewalling, or they admit they don't want any tougher regulation in which case we can just dispense with the "but teenagers shouldn't have guns" red herring since their policy position is that in fact they should.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 5, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I love the persecution complex.

"Someone said I'm wrong on the internet, oh noes I must be headed to a concentration camp! :cry:"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TheImmigrant posted:

Amassing thousands of posts without ever having typed more than a single sentence in any of them? Freezing one's face in a perpetual sneer? Auto-fellatio? The most awesome wiggery in the history of wiggertude?

Are you mad that someone might be stealing your gig of changing races and sexuality whenever it's convenient for your argument?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

Basically the lesson I am getting from all of this is that messing with organ allocation on a case-by-case basis is a terrible idea, and that it's better for a person to lose out to the system (which is at least designed to be as fair as they can make it) than to lose out because of individual case level interference.

Is that the lesson?

If things had turned out the other way*, would we say that the lesson to be learned is that public pressure and media campaigns to mess with organ allocation on a case-by-case basis is a good idea?

*Assuming we even heard about it, which we probably wouldn't since "another year passes and teen doesn't go on a crime spree" isn't headline news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think the lesson we have learned is poo poo happens and sometimes poo poo doesn't work out.

Yes.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Wait the Immigrant is posting here? lol.

Well maybe there's one or two more lessons in here.

• Locked thread