Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

My bus ride to work is pretty long, so I've developed ways to play what I like to call "brain games", classic long-ride guessing games by myself. I've found that they're surprisingly fun, so I thought I'd share them with all of you:

Solitaire Twenty Questions:

Start by thinking of a person (I usually limit myself to easy-mode twenty questions). Then try to devise questions in such a way that they both are as few as possible while still being plausible, "is it [person]?" and similar doesn't count, and specific enough so that one more question will single them out. Points are awarded by the second-to-last question being broad enough to capture as many other persons as possible:

Example: Superman: "Is it a man?" -> "Is he a real person?" -> "Does he feature in comic books?" -> "Is he a super hero?" -> (and then the deciding question) -> "Did he originate before 1940?"

Scoring here would be on the number of people left under consideration in the second to last question, and here I would capture all male superheroes which is a pretty broad class, while only superman would be contained in the last question, since obviously the phantom is not a superhero. I use the honor system of "does this question feel right" for devising questions at the moment, and would greatly appreciate rules suggestions on how to make questions more objectively allowable. For example: is it allowed to use "and-type" questions ("is it a man and a fictional person?"), and should the number of questions be absolutely or proportionately deciding in which question chain is better?

The Artist Game Goes Solo (a.k.a the name game)

Ok, so for those of you who doesn't know, this game is basically the name game, but only allowing artists. Here it is surprisingly easy to extend it to one person by simply trying to never make it finish until you've exhausted all artists you know. It is easy at the beginning, but making sure you're not entering a dead-end chain can be pretty hard after a while, and it's enlighening to go back in a chain and see where you shot yourself in the foot. I greatly recommend some kind of way to keep track of artists. And off course, you disregard the "the" in a definite-article artists. In the spirit of the game I also often limit myself to solo artists that has at some point been signed to virgin.

I Spy Alone:

This game is simply trying to find the most obscure detail in the bus that is in plain sight. My best sighting yet has been an almost invisible bubble-gum, although I cheated a bit by looking under the passenger seats to find it. This doesn't feel as satisfying, since it's more like practicing for a serious game of I Spy, but it's a nice change of pace since STQ and AGGS can be pretty mentally exhausting.

Feel free to discuss these games, ways to improve them, and tell if you've devised any solitaire brain games of your own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread