Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RaGe BoX
Apr 3, 2015
RaGe BoX Let's Plays

Table of Context:
    -What exactly is the Legend of Legaia?
    -The Story
    -Fighting System
    -How will this Let's Play go?
    -Episode list

What exactly is the Legend of Legaia?
I'm so glad you asked! Legend of Legaia is a Playstation RPG created by Contrail and released in 1998. Because it was released right around the same time as Final Fantasy 8 and other more notable RPGs, it didn't get very much publicity. In a lot of ways, Legend of Legaia is your typical run-of-the-mill RPG. You have HP, MP, turn based combat, an amazing open world environment, item and equipment shops, an evil demon antagonist, a love interest.. orchestra music. But don't let any of that fool you into thinking this is a generic RPG because, the Legend of Legaia is one of the most (if not the most) unique Role-Playing games that I have ever played.

The Story
Long ago God created the Heavens and the Seas and created man to rule over the world.. blah blah... a classic start right? Well hang tight because it gets better. In the world of Legaia beasts and horrible monsters run rampant and humans are barley able to defend themselves. Many times throughout history did the humans almost became extinct. Yes, it's that bad.

So God gave them a mighty force with which to aid them. It was call the Seru.

Since the dawn of recorded human history, the humans lived together in peace with the Seru. The Seru lived together in peace with the humans, always obeying them and making the humans many times stronger than before. When not worn by a human a Seru looks much like a stone figure.

Basic flying Seru known as a "Vera"

However, upon touching a human that Seru changes form and gives that human secret abilities. With a Seru a human can lift objects x10 their own weight, run faster than a wolf or even fly in the air at will.

A large Seru used for transport

However... That era would come to an end.

On one faithful day, appearing from out of no where a strange thick mist covered the land bring an end prosperous symbiosis between humans and Seru.

A Seru becomes corrupted by the Mist

Seru began attacking humans at will. Seru that attached themselves to humans controlled their minds and turned them into evil beasts.

As if forsaken by God, human civilization collapsed. It was the twilight of humanity.

So the game begins in a small village protected by the mist via a large wall. You are a young boy named Vahn and tomorrow will be your first time going outside the wall to hunt for food! In a world on the brink of death.. can we find a way to survive? It is truly an amazing and captivating story. I would get deeper into it but that would just spoil the let's play. But that's the premise of the game and I hope it has sparked your interest!

Fighting System
The fighting system in Legend of Legaia is unlike any other RPG of it's time. While it is still turn based like most classic RPGs, the game takes on a fighting game style approach with a various command inputs. Up (high kick), Down (low kick), Left (left punch), Right (Right punch).
The graphics are also very well done for the fighting mode and for a 1998 game in general!

In the beginning you start with a bar big enough to enter 3 of these commands, but as you progress the bar becomes lager and allows for longer combos. Oh and that's right... COMBOS! You're not just randomly punching and kicking here! Certain commands will allow you to pull off higher damage moves at the cost of AP. For instance Up, down, up let's you do "somersault", a very basic move.

Input commands

Vahn preforming the somersault

You can also SPIRIT during a fight which takes up a full turn but next turn your combo bar will be larger and that same turn your defense and chance to block will be higher. I would get deeper into it but again, I don't want to spoil anything for the Let's Play.

Spiriting to gain more defense and combo bar

How will this Let's Play go?
Outstandingly if I may say! I am extremely passionate about this game and know everything there is to know about it. During the Let's Play I even unlock something that was thought to be just a myth among veteran players!

I pride myself on being:
- Funny (or at least all my current fans tell me so)
- Engaging (I'm always talking, but not so much that it's annoying)
- Interactive (If you comment I will reply 99% of the time!)
- Skilled (As I've said I know everything about this game)
- Having near perfect video and audio quality!

I would love it if you would join me in this truly epic adventure! You wont regret it.

AND REMEMBER
This game is about the story more than anything so no spoiling anything for others!

--------------------EPISODES LIST-------------------

Let's Play Legend of Legaia Part 1: Rim Elm

Let's Play Legend of Legaia Part 2: The Mist

Let's Play Legend of Legaia Part 3: Rim Elm's Genesis Tree

Let's Play Legend of Legaia Part 4: The Hunter's Spring

Let's Play Legend of Legaia Part 5: Drake Castle

RaGe BoX fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

If you're going to YouTube dump, at least make sure all the videos are available.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Ground zero on the trainwreck. This is gonna be good :allears:

RaGe BoX
Apr 3, 2015

Dr. Tough posted:

If you're going to YouTube dump, at least make sure all the videos are available.

Should work now. Sorry about that.

Social Psychology
Mar 25, 2015
I understand the allure of wanting to become an LP superstar, but I feel like you shouldn't be so quick to abandon your true calling, which is creating Dragonball Z AMVs set to Disturbed songs.

You need to play to your strengths.

RaGe BoX
Apr 3, 2015

Social Psychology posted:

I understand the allure of wanting to become an LP superstar, but I feel like you shouldn't be so quick to abandon your true calling, which is creating Dragonball Z AMVs set to Disturbed songs.

You need to play to your strengths.

I have a decent fan base that enjoys my Let's Plays. I did those AMVs forever ago. Thanks though.

RaGe BoX fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 3, 2015

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Holy poo poo. I checked the thread and you had said something like 'wow I knew you guys were mean here but drat' and I thought to myself 'well it's true we're very mean when people don't really know what they're doing and post poo poo on the same day they register for LP superstardom, but this guy did kind of reacted in a sympathetic way. Maybe he'll turn out to be one of the good ones who eventually learns from his mistakes and takes criticism well even when the criticism is laced with snark and assholenish.'

So I didn't say anything and just went back to looking at other threads.

Then I decided I'd just come in and check for funny replies and noticed that you edited your post from what, I felt, was a pretty good reply to just double down on the poo poo by bringing up your 'fan base'.

Like holy poo poo dude, you don't really know what goes on around here do you?

RaGe BoX
Apr 3, 2015

Agent355 posted:

Holy poo poo. I checked the thread and you had said something like 'wow I knew you guys were mean here but drat' and I thought to myself 'well it's true we're very mean when people don't really know what they're doing and post poo poo on the same day they register for LP superstardom, but this guy did kind of reacted in a sympathetic way. Maybe he'll turn out to be one of the good ones who eventually learns from his mistakes and takes criticism well even when the criticism is laced with snark and assholenish.'

So I didn't say anything and just went back to looking at other threads.

Then I decided I'd just come in and check for funny replies and noticed that you edited your post from what, I felt, was a pretty good reply to just double down on the poo poo by bringing up your 'fan base'.

Like holy poo poo dude, you don't really know what goes on around here do you?

I'm afraid not. Be merciful.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

People are making fun of you because you made a YouTube dump which is considered to be in bad form and also against the rules of the subforum.

RaGe BoX
Apr 3, 2015

Dr. Tough posted:

People are making fun of you because you made a YouTube dump which is considered to be in bad form and also against the rules of the subforum.

I'll try to learn the proper formatting for next time.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
We do not give a poo poo about your fanbase. What we care for around here are high quality LPs that focus on showing off all the bits in the game. We want you to show off the game and say why you love it (or hate it as some people do).

Also as a heads up, RPGs like this one tend to make the worst video LPs, because they are slow moving and very repetitive. Unless there's a very good reason for you to make it a VLP (mainly consistently interesting to look at, want to show off the voice acting), you really should try to do it as a screenshot LP instead.

Also I poked into one of your videos to see how the quality was. Casually looking the quality wasn't bad but you were reading off the text boxes in the game. Stop that poo poo. It's annoying. We can read for ourselves. If you need to say something, summarize what they're saying and move on quickly to more interesting things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Also, presenting yourself as a brand/personality doesn't fly on SA (at least in the LP subforum) and will get you laughed at/ignored/mocked mercilessly. There are some "brand names" here but they tend to be recognized by content first, style second, brand promotion never. The theme is "LP is about the content, not the author".

LP dumps (starting an LP with more than 1, maximum 2 episodes) are frowned upon because they leave no room for audience participation and feedback - if you have 5 videos and people hate the first one, they won't watch the rest and you probably won't want to redo all of them. The quality suffers.

If I were you I'd scrub the OP clean of the "I'm a recognized LPer and an internet celebrity" stuff, close this thread, post it in the Sandcastle thread as a sample of your last LP to get feedback - and you will, much of it in a ":wtc: are you doing dude" form but you'll get a shitload of valuable info; also, don't just post the OP in there, use the SSLP test poster, you can find the info in the Sandcastle OP (OPs are fairly well maintained in general threads). Then start again.

Right now, a couple things that stood out to me as needing improvement:
- you're using Photobucket hosting. Two problems here: links embedded in every image and that it'll eat your bandwidth if it's limited. We've got LPix, and before that people used Imgur to good effect.
- why are you making a video LP of a JRPG? Those are far better suited to screenshot form, supplemented by gifs or videos when needed (cutscenes, flashy combat techs etc.)
- your videos are stretched - PSX games used 4:3 aspect ratio, you're stretching them to 16:9 (?) which looks strange and not true to the original. (Also, don't use non-integer scaling for SSLPs. Or filters.)
- don't read the dialogue. This is another of the unwritten "don't do this" rules you'd get feedback on in the Sandcastle. We can read too. If you need voice filler for a JRPG and don't have enough commentary, why not get a co-commentator to bounce banter or game-related chat off? Alternatively, if the problem persists, maybe the game's pace just makes it unsuited to VLP.

edit: gently caress, beaten.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 3, 2015

• Locked thread