Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Any decent town/city/village building simulators out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Anything The Sims-like on Android? It doesn't have to be 'customize their nose hairs' or anything, just kind of a step back from the non-existent SimCity stuff and more of a focus on individual houses and people.

Also, can someone explain the thread title?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Regarding the lack of Civ games on Android: is it worth mentioning Freeciv?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Is Pixel People any good, or should I give it a pass?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

FadedReality posted:

Alright, did that and tapped GRATUITA and it took me to the non-premium entry for CrossMe Color in the store app. :shrug:

I was sent to the store page as well, but went ahead and downloaded and started it, and it said I'd gotten the premium version as a splash page before the main menu.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I wanted to give the game a go, but my phone's screen is too small; I keep mistapping. A pity.

Has anyone tried Survive! Mola mola! yet? I saw it mentioned in a webcomic, and I'm curious.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

precision posted:

Is there any indication Natsume know what they're doing with the series

Has there ever been? These are the people who misspelled their own name on a game...

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

So once I've collected all the dumb ways to die for my mola mola, is there any reason not to go to Hard Mode? Or should I be buying all the upgrades or getting the death percentages as high as possible or something first?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

If you have all of them (including the secret ones), then yeah, go ahead and move on to hard mode. Make sure that you have them all, though (all 9 adventures/all 8 food/all 6 secret deaths), as you can't go back to get the weight increases if you missed them on normal.

Six secret deaths? Are you including natural causes, or is there something I missed? Sudden Death says 100% complete, 345% weight bonus...

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

So something like RPG Clicker, then?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Anyone have a link to a guide for 80 Days that is less 'be sure to choose to rotate the Buddha's left nipple counter-clockwise to unlock the secret time machine' and more 'this is what it means when something's price is listed as '£5/80d'? Other questions I have include 'is there a way to zoom out when using a stylus' and 'is there a shortcut for 'return to your current location from the world map'.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Longbaugh01 posted:

Edit: I'm confused because I looked up 150 rads and that seemed enough to cause radiation sickness, yet staying away from the reactor was apparently not the right choice.

I got bit by the same trap. I guess that idea is that 150 rads may well kill you at some point in the future, but freezing will kill you right now.

Incidentally, every time I go into the app, the text is all the way at the top. Is there a way to get to the bottom quickly that isn't 'flick the screen like you're spinning the Price is Right wheel'?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I have to say, after playing Lifeline a bit, I'm rather disappointed. Aside from a few ways to get killed off by doing really stupid things, it's extremely linear, with a lot of cosmetic choices and only a choice near the end determining which of two good endings you get. Or is there some fascinating path I've missed?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

There are only two Lifeline endings that don't involve gruesome death.

You decide between the two when the rescue ship lands. If you tell Taylor to run to meet them, they can get rescued. If you tell Taylor to stay in the computer room, they sacrifice themselves to destroy the aliens.

Souffle posted:

Lifeline: In the ending I got, Taylor and Captain Aya were both rescued.

Wait, are you sure? Isn't Captain Aya one of the pod people? How did you avoid that?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I just found out that you can't replay previous chapters in Alphabears, which means that you can, apparently, miss collecting bears forever. Which kinda sucks.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I can't seem to get past the Macrophages II level in Cell Lab. The advice I found online suggests using flagellocytes, but those aren't available, I assume because of changes in the game between then and now. Any advice?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Angle the children so that the cells spread evenly, split at a smaller size (I used 1.91 ng).

Thanks! I didn't think of fiddling with the child angles. Setting one to 90 degrees and the other to 270 degrees did the trick.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

gromdul posted:

I actually lost at Arena today. The game bugged out. This is the second time I have seen this bug: at the start of a match the turn marker starts above the AI, but they never take a turn and I can't either.

I guess you could say that the AI has learned that the only winning move...
(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
...is not to play.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Anybody know if there's a way to send a friend request to a specific person in Elemental Wings? All I can find is the 'poke some random stranger' option.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Does anyone else get next to no surveys.... Like ever?

I got next to nothing for a while, but I've been getting some good ones lately. Heck, one of the ones I got in the last few days was 70-something cents! So just don't worry about it; it's not like you have to keep checking it.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Meatwave posted:

Alphabears gave me a freebie at the start of a round:

'Cameramen'? Nice.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I've managed to accumulate over $9 in Googlebucks. Anything I should look into buying? Should I hold out for $10?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Alehkhs posted:

Another place to spend Google Survey money: While not a game, the Pandora Radio app for Android allows you to purchase Pandora One's new 24-hour day passes through IAP, if you want commercial-free Pandora for a day.

Those passes better be pretty darn cheap, considering I'm paying $5 for an entire month without.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I read (and then lost the link) John Carmack has been working on Minecraft for Oculus for some time now.

For some reason, I confused John Carmack with John Romero and got very worried.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Syrinxx posted:

Is there a fun turn based party RPG along the lines of Wizardry or Might & Magic?

For a moment, I thought you were asking for a party game along those lines, and I got confused trying to imagine Might and Mario Party.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Frush posted:

Is it just me or do all the armor glyphs seem to have a negative effect? I'm not sure why I'd really want most of them.

It's not just you, but it'd be better to say the effects are a mixed bag. And it depends on what version of Pixel Dungeon you're playing; there are about a dozen of them on the Google Play store, and I've only tried a few. My suggestion would be to apply a glyph when you have a spare set of armor; depending on the results, you may toss it, keep it, or swap between the two depending on the situation. (Anti-entropy armor, for instance, is a lot more useful on a water level.)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Is there a strategy for dealing with piranha rooms in Pixel Dungeon other than saying NOPE and turning around?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Lowness 72 posted:

There is always a potion of invisibility on those floors. FYI they don't give any experience so not even worth fighting them. Just pop in, grab the treasure chest and get out.

Same with the rooms with a treasure chest and a bunch of traps blocking it. There is always a potion of levitation

Lastly, if you find those rooms blocked by wood or a library, you will always find a potion of fire (or whatever its called).

Huh. That's astonishingly kind for a roguelike. I'll have to remember that.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I guess it's true. The vaults were never meant to save anyone. :v:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I use manual controls when I'm trying to advance to the next area (as opposed to hitting autobattle to scare up some cash and items). I'm currently running two healers (one with lots of +MP stuff and a Hero's Blood, and another who's got more attack-oriented stats and the MP-restoring item), a knight (specced for attack, but not to the point of sacrificing defense), a thief (with all the stabbing, and a gold shield because why not), and a dark mage (using the magic wands to buff both HP and MP). Items for the last three vary; I haven't settled on a loadout, though right now I'm going with Hero's Blood + Magic Lamp for the dark mage, Hero's Blood + MP restorer on the thief, and some sort of attack and/or defense booster on the knight.

A few tips I've discovered along the way:
  • The AI simply won't use certain items or techniques. For instance, don't bother equipping the MP restorers if you're doing an autobattle run; they won't use them. And healers only use the single-target heal, even when the all-target one would be better.
  • The effectiveness of conjurers drops off fairly quickly. Dark mages are strictly superior, but if you don't have them yet in a given dimension, consider swapping in more knights or something. That said, while conjurers are effective, they are very effective.
  • Healing spells will damage the sort of enemies you'd expect them to. Go ahead and try tapping on monsters with them; if the spell wouldn't damage them, it won't accept the command, so no harm trying.
  • A knight in your party prevents trap rooms from showing up, so checking side rooms is usually a good idea. However, a warp is considered a good result, and you may disagree.
  • If you have a thief in your party, it's because you want to steal. Steal early, steal often, and don't forget to have some way to refill MP.
  • I don't see the point of merchants. Their 50/50 skill doesn't seem very good.
  • When I'm manually doing a run, I like to start 20 levels behind the farthest point I could reach. It gives me more time to collect loot without wearing my resources down before I get to where I was. For autobattles, I generally start at level 1.
  • Party order is important. I put my main healer first, so if the subhealer gets slept or something, I can heal him in time for him to take his turn. Then I put the subhealer (who can refill the MP of anyone who's low), the thief (so she gets a chance to steal before stuff dies), the dark mage (so she can nuke and maybe take out a target or two and save the knight's attack for something with more health), and lastly the knight.
  • Per-turn effects only tick if you actually finish a turn. This is inconvenient about as often as it's convenient.
  • The monster meat is utterly, utterly useless. As previously mentioned, it won't tick in battles where you kill everyone in the first round, and the HP it restores is laughably small.
  • At some point during the run, it becomes more important to kill monsters than to do DPS. This moment comes earlier for conjurers than for dark mages, but it comes for both. Don't nerf your attack for the sake of more MP unless you're a healer.
  • Advance to the next dimension as soon as you're able. You want the sodas and relics.
  • I paid to remove ads, but voluntarily watching an ad when you enter a new dimension will give you the funds to unlock and equip a better class right away. If you're of a mind to drop cash on the game, note that anything you purchase with cash that goes away when you dimension-hop can be re-bought for free, so it's not a complete waste of money.
  • You only get the 'new item' notification at the armory if you've never seen the item before. In your second and beyond dimensions, a few items will appear when they appeared before, but you'll have to manually look for them.
  • Always buy your next party before buying anything else. It's just embarrassing to unlock some cool stuff, only to be stuck sending soda junkies through the dungeon to scrape up pocket lint.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

YggiDee posted:

An average of 37.5 damage with no other bonuses is okay for early levels but it gets outstripped pretty quickly.

e: unless my math is wrong. Is it 48 damage average?

Here's some math on the various weapons. (I'm probably missing some.)

There are two situations to consider: the situation where you have noob stats and most, if not all, of your attack power comes from your weapon, and the situation where you have an awesome attack score even without a weapon. For the former, the formula I mentioned earlier for expected damage, (1+cd)a, uses the attack stat of the weapon as a. For the latter, a is so large that any contribution from the weapon is minimal, so we only really need to compare cd.

At early levels, the preferred weapon order (considered solely for DPS) is:
  • Dhronen: a = 45, c = .3, d = 1.5. (1+cd)a = 65.25.
  • Fork: a = 15, c = .75, d = 3. (1+cd)a = 48.75.
  • Kelvium: a = 40, c = .1, d = 2. (1+cd)a = 48.
  • Demon Sword: a = 25, c = .5, d = .75. (1+cd)a = 34.375.
  • Magic Wand: a = 20, c = 0, d = 0. (1+cd)a = 20.
  • Hero Sword: a = 15, c = .3, d = .7. (1+cd)a = 18.15.
  • Katana: a = 13, c = .2, d = .75. (1+cd)a = 14.95.
  • Assassin Dagger: a = 12, c = .5, d = 2. (1+cd)a = 13.2.
  • Apprentice Staff: a = 10, c = 0, d = 0. (1+cd)a = 10.
  • Swift Blade: a = 6, c = .8, d = .6. (1+cd)a = 8.88.
  • Flame Sword: a = 8, c = .1, d = .75. (1+cd)a = 8.6.
  • Battle Axe: a = 4, c = .05, d = 1. (1+cd)a = 4.2.
  • Iron Sword: a = 3, c = .15, d = .3. (1+cd)a = 3.135.
  • Wooden Sword: a = 2, c = .1, d = .3. (1+cd)a = 2.06.
  • Bottle: a = 1, c = 0, d = 0. (1+cd)a = 1.
At later levels, the order shifts:
  • Fork: cd = 2.25 (!)
  • Assassin Dagger: cd = 1.
  • Swift Blade: cd = .48.
  • Dhronen: cd = .45.
  • Demon Sword: cd = .375.
  • Hero Sword: cd = .21.
  • Kelvium: cd = .2.
  • Katana: cd = .15.
  • Flame Sword: .075.
  • Battle Axe: cd = .05.
  • Iron Sword: cd = .045.
  • Wooden Sword: cd = .03.
  • Magic Wand, Apprentice Staff, Bottle: cd = 0.
As you can see, the Fork is an excellent DPS weapon at both early and late levels, so it's well worth the expense of rerolling a few times. If someone wants to contribute stats for other weapons not on my chart, feel free, and I'll add them into this post! I need the ATK up, the chance of a critical, and the bonus damage done by the critical.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 17, 2015

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

SilverMike posted:

Dhronen is 45 attack, 30% crit chance, 150% crit damage and can inflict burn or sleep. It's replaced the Forks for me whenever I can get them.

At early levels, (1+cd)a = 65.25, better even than the Fork. At later levels, cd = .45, which isn't top tier but respectable. (And of course this only considers pure DPS; a weapon that can sleep is pretty useful!)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Demon shields are good for someone who's going to be using a lot of magic but not so much the punching. I throw one on my main healer, generally. I suppose you could put one on a conjurer or dark mage, but you'd need to micromanage them so they're not feebly poking at things.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

So, it turns out Ragezerkers are really good. Yes, you can't control them, but their skill lets them bestow a +2 Attack bonus on a random party member. Big deal, until you realize it's permanent. I went with a party of Ragezerker/Healer/Healer/Thief/Knight and autobattled my way through 400 levels. I haven't tried an all-Ragezerker party yet, so I don't know if the AI is smart enough to actually hit things or whether it'll spend its entire first round buffing - which would give the mobs a free shot. I dropped a Google buck on permanently unlocking them, though I didn't realize that I couldn't get them to join right after dimension-hopping because of the reputation requirement. Still, that's 500k I don't have to spend each world, and it was a Google buck, so nothing of value was lost.

Oh, and a note on my earlier numbers for weapons: it occurs to me that, sooner or later, your crit chances will be ridiculously high due to other bonuses. And your attack will be up there too. At which point the only stat that matters is the critical damage boost, so for pure DPS the Fork once again wins out.

e: also, the game seems to have a bad habit of crashing, at least on my tablet. Whenever you have the chance, quit to the title screen, as that saves your progress. I do it once as soon as I get back and once as soon as I'm geared to go out again.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 18, 2015

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Yeah, level 500 is a big ol' stop sign for the AI. Even if there are healers in your party, they'll never use their heal offensively. That said, once you reach it once on auto-battle, you can whip up a party to manually beat the boss, then skip it via wizard thereafter.

I've been experimenting with my party some more. Currently I'm liking three Healers, a Thief, and a Knight. If someone doesn't get one-shot, you can pull things back from the brink very quickly, and the Thief and Knight can put their special abilities to good use even on autopilot. And the Healers may not have much attack power on their own, but you can easily fix that with gear. I'm currently favoring having one Healer loaded for maximum MP, the other Healers loaded for attack power (at least one using the sleep-inducing weapon I forget the name of, then Forks when I run out of those), the Thief with the gold-generating equipment, and the Knight focused on HP and damage reduction. I give everybody but my second healer Hero's Blood, give that Hero a Magic Potion, and give the Thief a Gold Magnet for her second slot.

Mind you, that's the party I actively control when I'm ready to make the push past a boss. For autorunning early levels, I replace one Healer with a Ragezerker in the first slot (for maximum attack boosting). Once I get past the level 500 bump with the active-control party, if I want to grind the upper levels I replace the Magic Potion (which the AI won't use) with another Hero's Blood. So far it's working well!

e:

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Clearing floors 498 and 499 with four healers and something else is a chore.

My active party above can get the job done without too much difficulty. Yes, you won't be doing damage to the boss terribly quickly, given the need to heal, but if you gear everyone but one Healer offensively, you'll cut through those nine floors before swiftly. Then it's just a matter of continuing to burn down her adds; I tried leaving one alive so she wouldn't summon more, but she hits harder than they do, so best to force her to keep summoning. You could also gear the healers for more magic damage (incidentally, does that also buff their healing amount?), and you can probably skip the Hero's Blood on all but your first Healer, letting you equip things that'll improve your damage output.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 19, 2015

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

YggiDee posted:

Magic Damage% only impacts their group heals, the single-target is a heal equivalent to the caster's max HP.

Cool. So equip HP+ stuff as well as MP+ stuff.

Also, Soda Dungeon updated for me, so Fork nerf is in. Ah well, it was fun while it lasted. Assassin Daggers for all!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

JayKay posted:

How do you beat the level 400 boss with his bullshit reform?

Edit: Darkmages, poison and war of attrition.

I just outdamaged him, I guess? I had it autobattling while I was driving, and when I got where I was going, they'd beaten the boss for me.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Snowmankilla posted:

Where is the Ragezerker unlock? I was hoping for the 100k unlock but no cigar. Also do merchants do anything?

Merchants have a passive that earns you more money and a special ability called 50/50 that will, half of the time, cut a mob's HP in half. Unlike other special abilities, it's fueled by gold, 500 a shot. I haven't earned their relic yet, so I don't know what that brings to the table. I haven't used them at all, actually. I guess their ability would be useful against later bosses?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I've hit a brick wall in the form of the level 700 boss. His first action is to eliminate all non-Fighters from the group, and while I can get four Fighters through the previous floors with Healer backup, they can't out-damage him. I'm guessing the solution is to stack evade until he can't actually touch them, so where do I grind that kind of gear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Okay, grind gold, pour it into the well, buy the fighter relic up. Got it.