Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
That does include the full game I believe, which retailed originally for 40, unlike the other games which required IAPs to get everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It takes time to make a game. Honestly, if they started immediately after Pokemon Go I don't think even Mario Run would be released yet. These games have probably been in development for over a year, or at least since Nintendo started taking about making use of the mobile market.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Now that's a fair comparison. I'm sure it was discussed at the time, too. But my understanding of Nintendo was an inward-focused company at that time, and they already had the only really world-wide successful handheld gaming focused device in the DS family, so why go away from that and potentially split your consumers? Large corporations are going to be slow to move to new things, which isn't exactly surprising. Sony only just announced at the end of last year that they've got some interesting mobile stuff going on in their gaming department, and they have another department that makes mobile devices. EA's mobile stuff has been largely not great, and they own PopCap's catalogue, probably the easiest source to lift entire mobile games, along with ideas for other mobile IPs, from. If that's not a lesson to wait and see to other large corporations, I don't know what would be.

Nintendo's putting out some stuff that looks pretty fun and I'm excited for, and not just lazy match-three cash grabs, so I'm actually okay they took their time.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Edit: My bad, I missed that socialsecurity actually mentions Duels.

You also get feathers at the end of every Arena duel season, for both your Offense and Defense rank. Offense goes from 100 to 1600, Defense goes from 100 to 500. Right now, after winning three battles, two against Beginner and one against Intermediate, using a team that includes four of the bonus heroes (Though I think you only need one? I'm probably wrong on that.), I'm on track to get 300 from Offense, and from winning one Defense I'm on track to get 300 there as well. There's also rewards for the top 100,000 players, starting at 500 and it goes up to 5000. The current season ends in one day, whether that's tonight or tomorrow I'm not sure, and I also couldn't find how long a season is. If it's one or two weeks, that's a pretty decent reward, but if it's monthly it's not great.

As a side note, it uses your first, or left-most, team for Defense battles, so be sure to set that one up for it.

Onean fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 5, 2017

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yeah, they're doing an arena battle bonus event. Check your quests, there should be a new list focused on arena battles that'll let you get even more feathers, and 10 more sword refills in addition to the 10 you already got from logging in during the event.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

because nintendo. i really​ like the game, but it drives me nuts that it always seems like they are incompetent with technology that is outside of their traditional strengths of "non-networked game console of the 1980s and 90s"

Let's be fair here. Nintendo does not hold a monopoly on stupid decisions when it comes to a lot of things, mobile practices included.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
There's a game that came up in this thread quite a while ago called Minesweeper: Collector which is, so far, the best Minesweeper I've played on mobile.

Just in case you didn't catch it or don't remember, it has a couple basic modes that use both squares and hexes. First is classic Minesweeper, which is pretty much exactly what you'd expect. Second is the main focus of the game with themed levels. There are 8 Episodes and 4 Hardcore Episodes filled with levels with different layouts. For example, Episode 1 has 4 collections with 9 layouts in each one, and each layout has 6 different puzzles (Easy, Medium and Hard versions of both square and hex tiles), and later episodes have even more. You don't have to beat all 216 levels in Episode 1 to move on to Episode 2, but there is a gating system. I don't remember exactly how it works since it was a while ago, but I don't remember it being bad.

Gameplay is pretty much standard Minesweeper with some tweaks. First, you start every level with an empty spot automatically cleared so you have a starting point. Next, while it is possible to get in a situation where you're forced to guess, i.e. this:

there's a system that allows you to safely guess by marking where you think the mines are and adjusting until you're correct. There is also a lives system and how many you have is based on the difficulty. Finally there are items unlocked with a leveling system. Once unlocked, items will occasionally show up in empty spots and can also be bought with gold, an in-game currency. They're things like extra lives, mark a certain number of mines or reveal all spaces with a certain number. They're more helpful when puzzles hit the guessing stage early, like this:

There's no premium currency, just a one-time purchase to remove ads and unlock backgrounds and themes.

Since it came up in the thread they've added a couple things. The oldest is pets, which are first unlocked by gold then made usable and upgraded by solving Minesweeper puzzles. For each of the three versions of a pet you have to complete two puzzles without hitting a single mine, though items are still usable. During any non-classic or non-pet puzzle they can show up and will offer a few choices of things like items and gold so you can pick whatever you need at the time.

And, just added for premium users (for now while they make sure the servers are good) yesterday and the reason I'm even making this post, is the Online mode where you go into Dungeons. Dungeons are massive levels with 10s of thousands of mines which have people cooperatively solving them to find gems and the stairs leading to the second level, which requires a certain rating aquired through the gems to get to. I haven't had a ton of time to play since the update came out, but if you're interested, check out this guide they had for the test versions. If you have premium, you might want to take a look, it seems pretty nifty from what I've seen.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Fertilizer can be found commonly from Jungle tile Mines. It's also not unusual from tiles with bushes and trees, I think. It's enough to get you going, at least.

Don't be afraid to blow up and reposition buildings and condense your housing to fully exploit a planet. The tiles change from full to empty once you've completely mined and pumped everything from them, but they're still viable for building on. Maybe something happens if you go too far, but I haven't gone long enough to find out.

I need to upgrade one of those housing tiles and demolish the other on that planet, but you can see the difference in the fully exploited tiles and those that still have something to gather.

Most resources are shared across planets, so spreading out is important. That picture is my starting planet which I'm converting into a primarily food planet, while I have a frozen planet providing the water for those farms.

Edit: Fixing autocorrect. I'm tired and falling asleep, I should just let it happen.

Onean fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 18, 2017

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Morter posted:

Regarding Minesweeper: Collector

How am I supposed to deal with this without guessing? (Also the top left [1] revealed a [2] in the corner, which didn't help. :negative:)

Yellow are free spaces, red is a mine.

The two extra yellows at the top are based on your last sentence, with information gained from what I'll explain below.

Since I'm in my phone it's a little harder for me to explain without pictures that'd take too long to make, but I'll try.

Explaining the mine first would help explain my other choices. The 3 next to my mine indicates that two of the three covered squares next to it contain a mine. The 2 under the 3 indicates one of the covered squares contain a mine. However, notice that the two squares next to the 2 are also part of the three squares next to the 3. Only one mine can be in those squares, so one of the mines for the 3 has to be in the remaining covered spot.

It's the same basic principle for the lowest two empty spots I indicated. Take the leftmost spot, where it goes (*)(2)(2)(*) from the corner. The 2 on the left indicates one mine remains in the two covered spots next to it. The 2 on the right indicates one mine remains in the three spots next to it, but two of those are the same as the 2 on the left which must contain a mine, therefore the third spot has to be empty.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Morter posted:

Hah, thanks a lot, folks. I actually tend to apply this logic in a game like Hexcells, but never really brought it back to Minesweeper for some dumb reason. :downs:

I know what you mean. I've played enough square Minesweeper that I don't even process that stuff anymore, I usually just know what's empty or a mine. But change it to hexes and suddenly I'm back to counting spots and making silly mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/911500431305711616

Maybe I'll pick this back up. I was pretty stoked about it when the iOS release happened, but by the time the Android version came out I would up only playing the first couple works before losing interest.

Then again, my phone gaming in general had dropped significantly since I picked up a Switch, so who knows.