Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Kheldarn posted:

MinuteQuest: I'm not sure what you'd classify this as, but it's pretty fun..

Annoyance with this one: the game has a built-in five-second ad when you try quitting the game. Not sure if it'll cause problems to manually kill the game, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Fallout Shelter: Do not-recruited Dwellers eventually go away? Is it better to ignore them if they don't have at least one higher-than-2 skill? I'm finding that I pull in everyone, I quickly get to the point where I'm in the red with food/water consistently.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Anyone here playing Dragon Mania Legends and know if I uninstall the game, I'll lose progress? I've run into a nasty bug where 3/4ths of my dragons appear as placeholders, eggs as placeholders, making the game unplayable. I'd love to uninstall and reinstall, but I don't want to do it if I'll lose progress.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

tater_salad posted:

Dungeon raid is really boss.. it's stayed in my rotation across like 4 phones.

I'm mad because Dungeon Raid was a good game, but on my latest phone it does everything super slow. Not "bad performance" slow, but "filmed at 60fps and ran back at 24fps to make things seem bigger" slow.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Can anyone suggest a match-3 game with some substance that doesn't require Adderall to succeed like You Must Build A Boat? poo poo just moves too fast in YMBAB for me to enjoy it.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Dec 9, 2015

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Am I doing anything drastically wrong in Soda Dungeons by just equipping folks with the best stuff for their class and automating the whole thing?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Do I get the relics for specific classes in Soda Dungeons in order (I got Soda Addict first, then Drifter)? Am I correct in assuming that it's generally better to level the all-class relics before the class-specific ones?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Also, gently caress all this christmas themed equipment they added. It's all ugly and terrible and gets in the way of actually good equipment dropping.

I'm new to the game, but I'm digging the carol bells item. Easy to get, and easy to slap on 4/5 of your dudes to farm up gold.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Am I correct in assuming that in Soda Dungeons, unlocking a later unit obsoletes the earlier ones? Darkmages making Conjurers pointless, Knights undercut Fighters, etc? Outside of that L700 boss that I haven't even gotten close to, yet...

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm in Dimension 6 (or maybe 5, whichever one's boss is on 600), and this is the first dimension I haven't gotten at least one Dhronen, even with three Start-From-1-And-Farm runs. And I kinda need/want one to defeat the needs-heals-to-beat boss.

:suicide:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Shwqa posted:

Just use forks. You will out damage his healing and he will every turn healing.

I'm not talking about the guy who heals himself, I'm talking about the boss that is only damaged by being healed. Sleeping one of the skeletons she spawns each round was really effective.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

The Duggler posted:

The only way I managed that was 5 healers all with Dhronen swords and equipped for max health.

I had two knights (one with a Dhronen) and the rest healers. The Dhronen one would attack one of the skeleton, the other one would defend, and the Healers would heal the boss. It worked well for its first instance, but I wouldn't be susprised if this failed on higher levels.

edit: gently caress me, this is the third time I've done a run where the game crashes after the 600 boss gives his "Come back at 600!" warning. Given how long farming runs take, this is annoying. Granted, I didn't lose my gold, but still.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 16, 2015

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Given how long runs can get, I cannot fathom wanting to play this game "optimally" by doing it manually. Does the game get to the point where manual play is required?

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 16, 2015

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Is healing in Soda Dungeons considered a 'magic attack' that is boosted by staves that boost said attacks?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Am I correct in assuming that since I'm playing after the Fork was reduced from 100% chance, it's not worth keeping around or using in place of better base-damage stuff?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Dirk the Average posted:

Nope. It's still really good with the 60% crit rate at 200% damage. Keep in mind that as you unlock more stuff that adds flat +attack (sodas/class specific stuff/accessories/armor/etc.), the fork's high crit chance and crit damage modifier make it better and better. I do usually swap out to the assassin daggers later on, especially once the thief ability comes online and they crit often enough anyway.

Interesting. I'm still not sure I'd rely on them too heavily, since I've never been a fan of crit-based builds in RPGs in general, preferring more base damage (I'd rather have an assured X damage than a might-be-x-or-y damage). We'll see, though.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

uPen posted:

60% + 10-20% from armor + 25% from relics + 10-20% from items + 15% if you're a thief. It's not really luck based.

That's the thing, I'm not going to select armor/weapons/items for its +crit (those assassin daggers you mention are basically vendor trash as far as my playstyle goes). I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just concerned how they'll work for my play style.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Good to know - at least I know the game has a defined end-point, then!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

BobTheJanitor posted:

Not really a defined end point. When I say 'end game' I basically mean once you get to the 'warrior dimension' which is just endlessly running the dungeon until your group dies (or, more likely, the game crashes because it has a memory leak), and then upgrading them and running again to get further. I don't think there is a max level at this point, but people who have been playing since Soda Dungeon was released are reaching levels in the hundreds of thousands and getting a few billion gold every few screens. No point to it, really, at least until future updates.

That's my point: if I get to a point where I have to min max into a crit-based build to survive, that means it's the end of the game.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Do you think the Carol bells (and other Christmas items) will go away eventually from Soda Dungeons? I really dig 'em.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Am I ready for the Warrior's Dimension if I'm at ~75/80 on the all-class relics (that don't have limits, obv) and ~50 on the classes I use?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Anyone else playing My Singing Monsters? Deep as a kiddy pool, of course, but the songs (well, song for me, atm) is catchy enough.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I plan on making a fuller effortpost about it, but My Singing Monsters 2: Dawn Of Fire is surprisingly fun and scratches an "Okay these are the products I'm tasked with producing, how efficiently can I produce the raw materials and to construct them" itch I didn't even realize I had.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Speaking of patching/updating, Soda Dungeons (at some point) finally nerfed/changed the way the bosses work in the Warrior's Dimension. I was able to damage and defeat the normally-only-damaged-by-heals boss normally; not sure about the makes-nonfighters-run-away boss yet*. I discovered this during what I thought would be a short farming run, but I'm ~1000 levels father than I thought I'd be.

In unrelated news, I stumbled upon a match game that I've been enjoying, called Best Friends. You can play quite a few levels before the energy-based thing makes you stop (20 energy max, each level uses 2), you can level up your characters as you go, and if you fail a level, you not only save any gains you had during that level, but you get a consolation bonus currency. Levels don't seem too difficult or anything, too.

* Seconds after posting this - Makes Nonfighters Run Away boss still does it.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 23, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Zander13 posted:

Been playing Crashlands for a few hours. Definitely worth $5. To me it is a mix of don't starve and rimworld.

The trailer intrigues me, but this review sold it to me more than your comparisons, because it says that there's no health/food/hunger system. It's surprising me how many folks are comparing it to Don't Starve, which lost my interest because it was so into basic survival that I never felt comfortable to explore.

One thing that annoys me, advertising the game's cross-capability is significantly blunted by how (unless I'm woefully mistaken) they expect you to pay 5bux for the mobile version and 15 bucks for the Steam version.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 23, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Huh, my bad.

On the topic of Crashlands: I'm supposed to put a sign near some sort of glade thing, but I have no idea where I'm supposed to put the sign. There's two blue things that I tried putting a sign down on and named it, but the quest giver is not responding as if I did anything.

Did I glitch the quest by accidentally salvaging the sign the dude gave me? I constructed a new one...

Late edit: buy this game on Steam, not on mobile. There's so little in way of healing in this game (hope you like walking around for literally an hour to find three healing plants!) that it's better to play it on a desktop where you can Cheatengine your health back to full. Because if your health isn't at full, you'll be one-shot by the thing you have to kill, and the game hasn't unlocked better weapons for you!

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jan 23, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Daztek posted:

The whole map is covered in healing plants and monsters telegraph their attacks so you have ample time to get out of the way.

Is the map randomized? I spent literally two hours last night picking up yellow flowers, and getting ~3.

And yes, they telegraph their moves. Unless you're the basic enemy type and it doesn't alwaystelegraph that it's going to immediately jump on you a second time without a windup or time to get out of the way.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

GodspeedSphere posted:

While initially true, I was able to make baconweed planters to solve this issue relatively early.

I figured that would help too, but turns out healing in this game is HoT, making it relatively pointless if you're low on health in combat and/or trying to navigate between 3/4 overlaying telegraphs.

edit: yes, the Steam version has the abilities keybound, and holy gently caress does it make combat (especially bosses) a lot easier. Plus, there's a bit of a visual change when you're low on health.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 24, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Daztek posted:

I can play Crashlands on my desktop during the day, in the evening I can crash on my couch and play Crashlands on my tablet and when I go to bed I can play Crashlands on my phone until I pass out from exhaustion. Help.

I came here to post something similar. Its amazing how well and awesome the cross-platform ability is.

I've found that I enjoy doing different things depending on which device I'm on. Farming and exploration? Tablet. Combat? Desktop.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
e: oh, we have its own thread

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Xtanstic posted:

Is it fun?

I've never played Harvest Moon, but I'm three minutes in and there's enough grammar problems that I'm actively annoyed. The tutorial is a few panels of watching the character do everything, without you doing anything.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
What's the difference between an apps AppData and it's cache? I run into the out-of-space thing a lot on my phone and delete the largest cache stuff with the greatest of trepidation, just because I don't want to wipe out one or the other only to find I've deleted all my progress in a game or something.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Kinda an esoteric question, but is there any genre of game app that is most reliant on IAP currencies (or, relatedly, the least easy to get those currency through normal play)?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Kinda a broad question, I'll admit, but what are some engaging/fun games I can play for a few days that don't need a data connection? I'll be out of town for a few days, and the Wi-Fi availability will be erratic at best.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Trastion posted:

I ran outta bait just after I spent all my money on upgrades so be careful of that.

http://roofdog-fishing.appspot.com/rest/friends/addPage?code=djrn2258

You can add people in the app directly too just use the code at the end there.

Yeah, but it's annoying as poo poo since you can't paste in the code. Had to have this thread open on my phone and punch in the codes on my tablet.

Mines jcxt3383.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Enigma posted:

I think when they "fight" their attack value roughly doubles

This makes so much loving sense.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Trastion posted:

Anyone play VEGA Conflict? I saw a video ad for it on the Fishing game and it looked good from there but I know how they can make a lovely game look good for a 30 second ad.

I'm curious about this as well. It's always looked a bit interesting.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Zotix posted:

If you guys aren't playing pocket guild there's something wrong.

Pocket Guild comes up with nothing?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've been on a binge a bit on games, and I've run into two games that I've dug enough to report on. These are clicker/idlers, so I might crosspost this into the idle thread:

The first is Zombidle, which (as you might guess) is a zombie-based idle game. Mechanically, it reminds me of Tap Titans (start off clicking yourself to earn currency to buy others to do it for you), but it feels a lot faster (you earn restart-bonusing stuff almost immediately compared to that game). The sounds/music are solid (loud screams from men on fire running around you click on them for bonus currency), the graphics are good, and the ads are totally non-interfering: you're occasionally offered to watch an ad for bonus materials/currency/whatever, and you can always deny them. I've even gotten a "here's a ad-free bonus because you've watched a bunch of ads already today" one, which is cool. Can be played either offline or online; the game says warns you about not using the cloud because if something goes wrong, they can't help you. After a random tablet crash (I don't blame the game for it) I lost a day of progress on my non-cloud save. Other than that, I'm digging the game.

E: I've had some oddness with the game not recognizing the cloud temporarily. Thought I lost my progress again.

Doomsday Clicker shares most of its functionality with Adventure Capitalist, but it won me over with its charm and graphics. You start the end of the world, build buildings to attract survivors/make money, and restart (causing a new doomsday) to convert the survivors to more productive Mutants. Ad-based content is voluntary, but it's a gamble if you get a good multiplier or not. I can't help grin when I restart and see a new way the world has ended again: a nuke, aliens, comets, whatever. The audio in this deserves special note: when you're about to press the Big Red Button to destroy the world, there's a doo-wop songstress goading you on to kill everyone.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

i like tacos posted:

I tried this earlier today and it lagged like crazy so I uninstalled it but my Nexus 6P was acting up at the time so your mileage may vary

It's a little laggy on my Galaxy Tab 4 (it occasionally twitches a little when I'm upgrading things quickly), but didn't super bother me.

Related to poor performance in games, has anyone played War Dragons? It's an odd thing, its not compatible with my beefier-than-my-phone tablet, but runs like rear end on the phone that can (supposedly) play it.