Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

FadedReality posted:

Yeah, I've noticed that. There are probably about 5 or 6 different bosses it picks from. I am really looking forward to them expanding on the game but feel like I've seen all there is at this point. It's a nice change of pace having skills to interact with in a game like this instead of just mindless tapping.

I'm digging this game because it precisely came up at a time when I wanted a data-limited game that had an active (using skills, etc) mode and an idle mode.

I am finding that I'm not making a ton of progress in idle mode, though. Like, I can leave it up for a few minutes and kill ~30 monsters, but leave it off for an hour+ and it says it only killed 100 monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This might run afoul of one of the big bolded lines in the OP, but has anyone played Township? It shows up in ads a lot for me, and it seems to have a decent chunk of varied gameplay to it. Or, it could just be an IAP-riddled city builder.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
E: gently caress, this ain't the Steam thread. This isn't the Steam thread at all.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 28, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
e: whoops, we have a thread now.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CrashCat posted:

someone was pushing hard to get their e-cred

Or, ya know, wanting to play a game they like.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Dungeon Warfare being called a 2D Orcs Must Die is a bit disconcerting for me. OMD relied too much on me FPSing to defeat waves for my taste, is this similar to DW?

Unrelated, something interesting about AbyssRium that nobody mentioned when it was being discussed: the skill that increases your vitality by 500% also boosts the amount of candy you get from fish by the same ratio. Not sure if it's a bug, but makes it easier to get the Ghost Fishes.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Any thoughts on when to prestige in Egg Inc? I randomly prestiged when I had 30 soul eggs and my general plan in games like this is to simply double the amount each time, but I'm curious.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Gilg posted:

Are you enjoying it enough that you plan to spend money on it? If you're willing to spend 3 dollars on the piggy bank IAP, the more you prestige, the faster you fill up the piggy bank by buying technologies, vehicles, etc..

Note, some people get confused about the piggy bank IAP, you spend 3 dollars to bust it open for its current gold egg value, and then it starts filling up again from 0. It's not some sort of "permanent" unlock.

I know about that and didn't ask about the piggy bank IAP. I was asking about prestiging where you restart completely.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Just a heads up, because it's a charming little game and I got burned (slightly) on it:

I saw an ad for Make More, a tapper/clicker/idle game, and it won me over rather quickly on its base gameplay: you hire people to carve wood into toys, or use a wrench on a grey block and produce clocks, or finish rubics cubes. You use the money from that to make workers faster, even buying more factories hire more workers. The only downside is that the IAP currency doesn't really poo poo itself out at rates equal to the amount it wants for bonuses and multipliers.

But here's the catch: the things you're using IAP to buy (product multipliers, tap multipliers, whatever) for your factory only work for the first factory. Build a new factory? Have to buy more IAP to get to the same level you got on the first one.

tldr: I was feeling kinda good because I thought I found a free idler that seemed kinda charming, and it's an IAP hell.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Has anyone else experience a huge wall in Egg Inc at the Tachyon-To-Whatever-Is-Next phase of the game? Goddrat, it feels like I can't afford many upgrades, but still miles away from being able to even discover what's after Tachyon.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
What's bugging me the most about The Trail is that nothing operates on a tap. Drag this stick to the square, then drag down to craft. Drag this item into your bag, etc. It shouldn't bug me as much as it does, but oh well.

(also, gently caress how limited bag space is)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't know when it came out so I might be behind the times on this one, but I'm captivated by Earn To Die 2.

At its core, it's one of those drive-as-far-as-you-can-to-earn-money-to-driver farther games, but I'm enjoying it far more than other similar games I've played. The graphics are great (slowly turning a fancy jalope into a Fury Roadster), the controls are simple (no breaking, just acceleration and tweaking your angle), and it's just really fun to soar over a pile of boxes, detonating an explosive barrel with the debris from earlier boxes, all the while a gun auto-fires zombies in your way so you're not slowed down (which almost doesn't matter because you've got a chainsaw on the front of your car).

I think it'd be a bit more annoying on your phone, but on my tablet everything is big and easy to control.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 8, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Not sure if I'm behind the times on this one, but I'd like to point out Pixel Tree.

A cute little buy-X-to-make-Y-to-make-Z kinda game with some cute pixel graphics, it's got a little puzzle aspect to it (specifically, figuring out how to fit all the rooms you've built on your tree) that I've found charming. IAP doesn't come as freely as I like (you can't increase the size of your tree without tree trinkets, which are 20 IAP a pop). I think I might need to restart because I've kinda gimped my playthrough: When I needed to make Ys out of Xs, I always made new Xs to make Y. Since I'm quite a ways down the production chain, I'm finding I'm running out of space to build things.

If you're more into idle games, I've recently found Idle Miner Tycoon, which I like because instead of just dealing with one vector of play, you're dealing with three. You have to balance the amount of stuff you're mining with the capacity to bring it to the surface, and the rate in which you can cart off the ore to be sold. The game is pretty good about letting the player get a feel for this balance; never does the game tell you that you've got a backlog of ore that needs to be sold. There's an IAP but I've been noticing that it keeps going up through random play, so that's good.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
When does Skyforce Reloaded let you add others? The little Commander Keen looking icon is red.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Added everyone from Dancer's list. Mine is 01 67 03 58.

Jesus, you guys are good at this game. Granted, I've literally only played for like 30 minutes total, but drat.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Yay, now levels won't load for me in Skyforce. Just never ending clouds, twice in a row.

E; looks like I'm limited to the first level only. That loads, second level won't. Great.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 20, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm stuck on level two in Skyforce (got it working) because I need one more star to be able to play level 3, the only attainable star is the Save Everyone star in 2, and I lack the firepower to consistently hoover up all the humans and survive doing so. Which means grinding currency at a rate of ~50-75 a run, which barely puts a dent into upgrade costs.

Is this the game in a nutshell?

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 21, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CascadeBeta posted:

You can get medals to unlock new levels from any of the old levels, not just the previous one.

Right, but I already got the reasonably attainable ones (kill 70%, save the humans) from the first level.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Millennial Sexlord posted:

Is there something I'm missing about Skyforce? Everyone seems to be going crazy over it, and I found it to be a boring basic top down shooter with lovely controls.

This is why I stopped playing. That, and I've never been that good at top down shooters.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm hesitant to post this since it's barely a game in the conventional sense, but Galimulator is pretty interesting.

It's a galactic empire simulator. You start with an empty galaxy, and a empires rise out of their home systems. They grow, they expand, they degenerate, they split off to form their own empires, they research, they attack, they die off (sometimes piecemeal, sometimes through random events where they just poof), they ascend to a higher plane of existence, plus a ton of other things. There's histographs aplenty, It also tracks families, too.

There's a sandbox mode that I haven't touched yet; I'm way more fascinated just letting the simulation do its own thing while I watch. listen to a podcast, whatever. The game creates its own wordless history, wherein some small out-of-the-way empire takes over a huge nearby empire (which owns half the galaxy!) on the decline. You watch its struggles and successes, until its wiped out one way or another, and you're surprisingly bummed when it happens. But then you look at a history and realize that the two empires currently dominating the galaxy are off-shoots of the original empire, so there's some continuity. But you don't think it'll ever Transcend, because there's four space monsters floating around tearing it up, so they aren't spending their wealth on researching.

There are downsides. It's not the prettiest game on the market, and sometimes I find the UI a little weird. For example, I never finished the tutorial because I pressed the button to continue it, but nothing happened. Or the ad on the top pushed down the save button a bit and covered a button. Or I have to zoom in more than I'd want to select an Empire and see what's going on with it.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 3, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Am I missing something about that gumball game? Tap all the squares, kill the enemies, repeat? To be fair I didn't play it long - and it didn't help that the amount of Engrish was getting on my nerves - but after a bit I debated how much more I could play.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Has anyone played Merchants Of Space ? It's a logistics game at heart (space ships come in wanting products, you sell them products to make money, use that money for more sellable goods and buildings), with some decent graphics that keep the thing charming, as well as a balancing act on who you serve: serve the Good Guys and you get more points for it, but serve the Bad Guys and you'll piss off the Good Guys but you'll make more money.

I have sold iron bars to a giant space ship commanded by a dog.

The only downside to it I've seen is that I think the IAP can be a bit annoying, but I'm not 100% sure are mandatory-IAP actually are or not. I need certain "special items" to expand, I don't know where to buy them, but I've gotten some randomly so it's still a bit :iiam: for me.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Here's an odd duck of a game that I'm not sure what to think of, but I keep loading it from time to time:

Qurius is a surprisingly charming little village-builder game (not in the vein of SimCity clones, mind you) with an interesting little gimmick: the currencies you use to do stuff are based on local weather patterns. If you have a bunch of Sun Flowers, they'll eventually bloom (and give you sun currency), the same with Snow/Cloud/Rain/etc flowers. Creatures have alignments to certain weather patterns too; a cloud-aligned creature searches the red-tinted areas (for plants, trees, some story bits) faster when it's cloudy, for example. You can also find trees that let you harvest currencies from other players and their local weather. All of these are gained from falling stars, either by watching ads or the aforementioned searching.

It's still in beta and it's not the kind of game for everyone. Having your creatures search for something is simultaneously too twitchy and too boring (drag a dude into the red plants and wait for a little light to show up to tap on it, pray it doesn't go away in the 3 seconds its there, repeat a few times in the hopes that you'll be given something more than a few points of currency), and the gameplay is fundamentally "do the next task the game tells you to do". But like I said, something keeps bringing me back to playing it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Found and kinda love a game called Potion Punch. It's kinda like other games where a bunch of people come to your shop to buy food and you need to make it for them, but I think I like this one more than most because the artwork is expressively cartoony.

It can be a little gently caress-you difficult. Some days I'll have people that just want a straight Red Drink or Grilled Lizard, and the next day it'll be swarms of people who want way more complicated drinks, and back again.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

This is fun so far but I'm looking at the recipe list and :stare:

Yeah, it's one of those games where I rage-quit because I was given a session where everyone wants a grilled gecko and a three-stage drink and I don't want to experience that again... and then I pick it up later on and everyone wants much more manageable orders.

Rapner posted:

Gardenscapes.

I've been playing that off and on, and I feel it's still kinda a cash-grab at heart. There are some missions that really feel like they were meant to completed with a handful of bombs. There's something :3: about the game, though, especially if you read the in-game Facebook analogue.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Literally googling "Resources Game" has it as the first link.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't think it's been talked about, but I found Slurpy Derpy today and I'm really digging it as a timewaster game.

The synopsis:

quote:

You wake up in a convenience store, hundreds of years in the future, to find humanity wiped out, your only companions stupid little creatures called Derps and a host of Gods trying to get your attention.

Make cookies, research new abilities, conquer maps and evolve to completely new species as you work towards the ultimate goal of creating the most powerful Derps ever!

Basically, you always have two Derps, who breed other Derps. At first, you use whatever offspring are made to populate your buildings, which provide you with currency/research/armies. While doing that, you're always replacing your breeding Derps with offspring that are better-statted, which provides better offspring to populate your buildings, continually repeating the process. I wouldn't call it an idler, it's actually pretty fun to continually be juggling where the newest Derp should be allocated.

One thing that really sticks out at me that I like is the ease in which I can do some things that I didn't expect to be so easy. For example, you eventually get the ability to automate the replacement of new offspring to be one of your breeding Derps. Specifically, you can adjust to what makes the determination if a new Derp becomes one of the breeding pair: either just better in one stat, or if they must be Objectively better in all stats. Want to purge an entire building of gen-40s and repopulate it with fresh gen-60s? There's a button for that. It's the little things that I find myself appreciating.

IAP seems to be contained to making things faster, and I've found I can get a decent amount of it just by completing in-game milestones.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 25, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Any game​ tips? I just got my derp to evolve and am quickly getting back to lvl 1000 again. I'll probably idle to that when I next check it...

Sure, but bear in mind that I'm still relatively new to the game myself.

- Set your angels to only promote objectively better (green on all four stats) Derps. You do this by clicking the little mutation button between the two breeding Derps, which took me a while to figure out.

- When it comes to using mutation points (the sphereoid color ball thing), I tend towards Freaky (improved swing numbers for new Derps) and Breeding (breeding speed), but generally its been a whatever-I-can-afford situation. I've avoided Recon and Boosted, because I'm usually kicking rear end in combat and I don't use active abilities too often.

- Every once in a while, there's nothing wrong with cleaning house (the three-skull button on each building pane) and repopulating all of them. This is especially true when you've come back after a decent amount of idle time, your breeding pair is significantly higher-gen than your workers.

- You can totally get away with not buying any premium currency. Generally, I used the amount I'd get for achievements to speed up the Angel (promoting better Derps) and Reaper (auto-sacrificing worse Derps), and expanding the time I could be away from the game.

- If you're willing to drop money on the game, the five-dollar starter pack will give you puh-lenty of Slurpies (the premium currency) to really improve the above things (and other things) comfortably enough that you'll never (IMO) need to buy any more. I was lucky to have a bunch of store credit, so for me it was a dollar affair.

- Do not use Slurpies to open up population slots, as they reset when you get a better alien. You'll be generally swimming in basic currency.

- If you have random Slurpies and want to use some for potions, use the Gene Genie (green, heart next to it) potion. Basically, it makes the next 30 Derps bred to be leagues better than you currently have, each time. Promote each new Derp into the breeding pair, then when the next Derp (which is better), promote that, and send the first Derp to a building. 30 derps means you'll be able to completely update all your buildings to be packed with holy-poo poo-way-better Derps.

- Set every panel's sorting (bottom-right on the panel) to Stats, Ascending. That way the best Derps are always off-screen to the right, whereas the most-needing-replacement will be on the left.

- Once you evolve a few times (I'm in Jigglies, the smuggest monsters I've seen in a video game), don't be confused or scared if you initially breed monsters with 0 stats. Because the stat range is -X to +X, it's possible for your initial breeding to be flat-out 0 at something.

- There's no hard and fast rule on this, but try to keep your Angel/Reaper times equal to your breeding time, if you can. Keep your base-level population limits (the left-most one, not the factory/army/research) high enough that there's never a bottleneck.

I'll add more if I remember to.

quote:

How do you deal with wack a mole candy and time boost?

I don't bother with doing the wack-a-mole thing. Like I said above, I tended to just spend some Slushies on improving the amount of time the game notice I'm gone.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The thing that has always kept Realm Grinder from being a play-all-the-time game for me is that all the guides don't seem to correspond with what I'm doing. Nobody talks about the Faceless, for example, but for the bulk of my time playing the only way I could consistently progress through the game is through Faceless.

RG is deeper than most clickers, sure, but it's always felt fundamentally opaque, to the point where it almost feels like work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

limited posted:

I'm currently poking at XTeam a whole bunch.

It's basically Tap Titans with a sci-fi skin. It throws a poo poo-ton of free currency at you early on through achievements, which you can use to upgrade the free drops you get ingame to get even more. It's got the usual ad-based freebies too, but even that gets boosted. So you can end up with skills that almost double their duration pretty drat easy.

You get honor points on reset that let you get extra buffs with relics, and basically everything is upgradable in some way, be it from drops, gems, or a lil mining minigame.

There's also having fun spotting all the icons / names they've stolen borrowed from other games. I've spotted the Halo rocket launcher, several Borderlands guns, the wrist computer from Fallout, and a whole bunch of Starcraft upgrade icons. :allears:

You'll definitely want to mute the audio though. The gatling gun firing can be set to automatic, and plays on every single screen even if you're not at the main game screen. :gonk:

I've been casually playing it, but christ, the Engrish...