Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Perhaps I am just being retarded, but I am trying to play 80 Days for the first time and I am stuck. I got past the initial dialogue and credits but can't seem to do anything but open the suitcase and see when the train leaves for Paris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Xtanstic posted:

Oh my god that Hidden My Game Mom game has a sequel. The first one was hilarious and the ending was surprisingly good??

http://app.hap.ne.jp/mom2/
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.jp.ne.hap.mom2

I never played the original but the sequel is pretty funny. I love the kid's willingness to utterly destroy his own house in order to get his game back.

Art imitates life

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Speaking of card games, I've been playing one called Card Thief, where you have a thief navigating through a 3x3 set of cards, managing your stealth and collecting treasure til you get a chest and escape. It has a great risk/reward system and I'm enjoying it a lot.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

precision posted:

Is the new Kingdom Rush game good? The one that's space marines or whatever?

As above it's more RTS than tower defense, and a not entirely solid one. It's probably the closest a non-grid map can get to good controls on a mobile, but it still kind of sucks in terms of UI.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

hooah posted:

Is there any reason not to hold off on the research reduction runes until you have two or three things being researched at once? It seems like using one of those runes on only one research would be a bit of a waste.

"Runes?" You mean the reductions given by the alien item breakthrough? Those are applied for everything in the named class, afaik.

E. Oh, did you mean the 1000 research boost? You don't actually research multiple things at once, you can only queue them. All of your research goes into the top item until it fills up, then it goes to the next one.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The command and conquer game is actually...not bad? There is a decent amount of movement and countering that goes on in the maps. The greatest sin I'm seeing right now is making hard counter units a random drop out of crates.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Recommendations for tile matching gatcha games? I tried Puzzles and Dragons and its neat but the dragging puzzle system doesn't click with my brain

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Vhak lord of hate posted:

Gems of War? It's old as bones but if you join a good guild you can get a never ending stream of currency and you can make a team that has some synergy pretty quickly.

Looks good to me, thanks!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

RottenK posted:

step aside kingsraidailures, the new gacha king is about to be in town

jokes aside the premise is silly enough to endear me and i like cute anime guys and management games so i will at least try it when it's out

I unironically adore cooking anime so thanks for sharing this

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Its an older game so this is probably old news but I bought Bloons TD6 on android the other day and I've been completely lost in the sauce of popping balloons. It's a deceptively deep game and works perfectly for mobile play, especially if you have a stylus. The biggest issue I have is that I'll play on fast forward which means when something goes badly I don't react in time with abilities and I end up getting slammed with 50 camo balloons that didn't get caught into the decloak trap.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

uXs posted:

It's an absolutely incredible game. Highly, highly recommended.

I tried this and it's an interesting game. The 30 turn limit makes for more of a puzzle game than typical 4x games would play, and you have to pick where you go for the tech tree. Overall it's pretty neat, good recommendation all.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Paladinus posted:

I believe the term is 'premium games'.

It's not even that, there are lots of games I've played that are "real" games but still F2P with cash shops. Card Thief, Burrito Bison, and Hoplite are just a few from my currently installed games. I'd say it's more games that demand something of you beyond a smooth path til its time to buy premium currency.

explosivo posted:

I bought Luck be a Landlord and I dunno what I was expecting but it certainly wasn't a slot machine roguelike.

Although there really isn't a lot of roguelike in there at all so it's just kinda like a slot machine

I wasn't entirely sure how the metagame would play out but I mean it was pretty clearly a slot machine game.

I'm playing it and I'm trying to figure out strategies for higher levels, there's a lot of items that sync together but it seems like you *should* be focusing down on a couple paths after you fill the board so there aren't empty spaces, but I'm not sure how often that really works out.

"Adjacency" is weird in this game too. It seems like the edges of the board count for adjacency so if you have an item on the top it can be adjacent with one on the bottom.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 21, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

I haven't played the mobile version but on the desktop version this is not true. Are you sure you didn't have an item that makes more things adjacent? Protractor, Telescope, some others too.

It might have been something weird but I see it most with things like the Light bulb which triggers on stuff that it's nowhere near. Idk.

The game is interesting because it's almost like a Slay The Spire-style deck builder. I started blowing up low coin items and skipping turns a lot more in my last run and I've cleared both of the first two levels handily. A small pool of high value cards is critical. It's also why things like King Midas can, per his namesake, get away from you by overflowing your board with gold, although if you have the 3 gold coin item it works out.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Do more slots items unlock as you advance in Luck Be A Landlord? I'm on level 6 now and it kind of feels like I've seen most of them already

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Dicey Dungeons didn't really click with me on Switch, but wow is it incredible on mobile.

Tbh I find this is true with most roguelikes. When I sit down to play a game on a console or PC I want to play a game through, and having frequent restarts takes me out of it. But with mobile, where you inherently are playing for short periods with frequent interruptions, it works far better. I've liked Slay the Spire a lot more on mobile and there is no way I'd actually sit down and play Luck Be A Landlord on PC.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Realistic compromise: Steam deck

:getin:

Same though, I have one and it's not something that's as easy to pick up and set down as my phone, especially seeing that the thing is *loving gigantic*

Hand Row posted:

I hope something comes along to evolve the game because while I see a lot of synergies, I don’t feel like the floors have enough payments for me to go for a lot of them. Maybe that’s what Endless is for or is that what Essences help do? I am on like floor 5 right now and it’s getting very samey.

It just doesn’t seem like I could easily build towards a lot of them as I need a few particular drops to occur. I am almost always building around mining as it seems like theres a few rares that boost it vs other stuff that seem like they need a particular rare and or a particular item. Then I just fill in around that with smaller synergies IE arrows. I have tried other stuff but it just seems way less consistent and or has a weak beginning or weak end.

It's helpful if you stack +luck items to get more rares in order to get builders like Ms. Fruit and Geologist earlier, and to get better items. But ultimately a lot of it comes down to, yknow, luck and a lot of times you have to build a supply of consumables that often doesn't pay off because you don't roll what you need. Curses and cultists are especially vulnerable to this because you need some things to make them do more than break even a lot of times.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 22, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

If you want to clear a level in LBAL then mining really seems the way to go, since the Amethyst + Dame combo is unbeatable, but once you unlock essences the game really does open up. I beat my last level with just omlettes by thousands of gold.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Kris xK posted:

I just unlocked essences and they're great. Somehow ended up with Watermelons worth "x4" and just cruised to victory in a fruit cup.

Is there a way to get any significant amount of watermelons other than getting fertilizer and a shitload of seeds? Slotting them into Very Rare makes synergy with them pretty tricky, especially when their perk wants you to get multiples.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

End of LBAL

Is there any way to turn the rent back on after you defeat the landlord? It just goes into zero rent mode now and that's boring. I was hoping endless mode would be climbing ever higher survival mode.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I tried it and it's fun although like Peggle there's a lot of "Jesus take the wheel" when it comes to balls. It's all about what balls you take and the item build more than any real semblance of skill, so it's a turn based RPG roguelike more than anything else. I just wish it was more clear how far enemies could move in one turn.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 25, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

neongrey posted:

i really enjoy peglin, the port's not brilliant but it gets the job done. i dont care for roundguard as much, it feels bulky to me, if that makes sense.

whoever mentioned merge mayor, thank you. i love dumb merge games and it's very polite as far as monetization goes

Yeah I gave Roundguard a try too and I like Peglin more. Its more random but at the same time when you get lucky and line something up that results in your ball going all over and racking up massive hits it's a great feeling whereas in Roundguard it often just leaves you mostly dead.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

That game is truly insane and disgusting and I love it. Is there any idea of when the final release/progress reset will be?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The geese being weird and creepy are one thing but the whole birth imagery is something where you need to make sure someone is cool before you show it to them.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

I'm trying to find some games about building stuff but I can't find anything decent.
Merge Mayor was fine, but the very aggressive freemium bullshit was pissing me off.

Yeah that's my issue with it as well, along with other games in that space. I understand that by most standards the cash shop less required to play the game, and that it's more generous with free currency, but it's not fun if it's constantly shoving it in your face either. I'm totally in favor of games with "pay x dollars to turn off ads and shop stuff forever" option, but the publisher and I both know that they make a lot more money by stringing the cash shop on a hook through the entire playtime than if it was a one time purchase.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

New Leaf posted:

What the gently caress is this goose game? Is there any reason to continue playing a level beyond meeting the other goose head? I left a level overnight and gained millions but of course it doesn't carry over.

It's an idle game like Cookie Clicker or whatever, where you frequently reset in order to get bonuses to the next round. So you build to the top, reset, and then the next round has you gaining money 1.2x faster but you need to build higher with some extra environmental conditions like low gravity or wind. Once you get to the top you're supposed to just reset to zero and start over.

It's kind of a strange genre when you write it out like that but the resets make it so that you can do new designs over and over rather than having to 100% optimize one set.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Xtanstic posted:

So I keep getting ads for this stupid game: Tower War https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=games.vaveda.militaryoverturn

And it has hit a nostalgia vein that has me loging for web browser flash games / Starcraft UMS maps. Now I want to play a game like this where you build up factories and launch them to capture bases. Is there a non freemium ad-riddled game that can scratch it? If not, I'll probably have to play that game until the ads drive me insane / I get bored.

Tbh the aesthetic is different but Cell Expansion Wars might work for you. If has ads and premium items but the ads are top of page ones instead of videos.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

How playable is Plants Vs Zombies 2 without buying stuff in the cash shop? Is it "it'll make it faster to upgrade" or "some levels are next to impossible unless you get your wallet out"?

It looks like it's a loot box system which is annoying.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Silius posted:

Honestly, if I remember correctly you get to the point of needing to buy poo poo because it gets so unfair. But that was some time ago, but it's EA so just assume the worst.

Also everyone, Tinyfolks is on sale for 99cents and it's a delight. Darkest Dungeon Jr.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.VandermaesenGames.Tinyfolks

Yeah, it's also pushing long ads on me after every round which sucks. Can't just make a nice game and sell it for a price point, no sir.

Are there any good knockoffs of it that don't have that issue?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

GetDunked posted:

It requires some android file knowhow, but you might try one of the many modded campaigns people have put together for pvz2. Other than that, I'm not sure there's anything among the 800 billion tower defense games on the play store that quite nails the same pacing and positional focus that it does.

Awesome, thank you. I'll look into it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

I don't want to go out of my house :(

You can just be one of those PoGo streamers that spoofs their way into downtown Tokyo while steadily gaining weight at their desk.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Super Snail looks like a fun little thing but I do have to remind mobile game makers that the ideal startup time for your game is less than ten seconds. Going through layers of server pings and logins every time you pick up your phone isn't going to be good for retention.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I like the life sim aspect of that game and the focus on conversation and negotiation instead of combat is neat but the part where you rescue a dog-girl from slavery and then you take her on a romantic date to a dog park to get intimacy points is a bit uh "anime"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Just bought Luck be a Landlord, am I just picking the symbol that will likely get me the most money every spin?

Also, do I literally pick a new symbol every single spin? I know that the SKIP button is there but that doesn't seem like the kind of thing I would want to do.

Basically, what's the grand strategy?

At the start you want whatever you can get to fill the board, with preference towards things that disappear after several turns or things that can synergize with later picks. Milk (sync with cats) and bubbles are good, ores can be mined by the commonly found miner, things like that.

Later on after you have filled every slot on your board you want to start skipping if nothing good comes up on a spin. The slot machine fills from all the possible options every spin, so if you minimize the trash you have on hand then you will keep your good symbols on the board more often.

Good overall strategy is to pick one or two things that work together and going with them. Gemstones are the most reliable, fruits/foods are probably second best, the cultists/demonic symbols should probably be something you go for once you get a better handle on the game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I'm sure it's been brought up before, but if anyone is looking for a very solid mobile game then Card Survival: Tropical Island is an incredible game. It's fairly expensive since it's a similar price to the PC version, but since it is card based it is a perfect match for Android.

It's a survival sim thread darling and a very deep simulation if you're willing to put in the effort to learn it. It just pushed the combat update to mobile, and it fleshes our hunting some.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Looks like the new wave of Monster Hunter Now beta invites is going out, I got mine today.

It's not bad but it's funny that it's being made by Niantic. I'm surprised they have time to work on this new game when they are so diligently neglecting Pokémon Go.

It's not bad, the fights with the monsters are basically an upgraded version of raids from PoGo which is neat. There's also some QOL stuff like your Palico marking monsters and collecting items as you walk without needing a second peripheral like with pogo. The amount of in-your-face gem begging is a little annoying though. I'll have to see how it shakes out.

There's no way it will be anywhere near as popular as pogo but hey its something new.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 13, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Morter posted:

Can U.S. hunters get to play soon??

I am in the US, in the Midwest. Did you put in to beta test?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Morpheus posted:

The worst so far is the monetization. I've been playing for a month now, beaten the story (you go into NG+ mode where you fight tougher versions of the monsters) and haven't received a single premium currency beyond the 500 you start with. Paintballs cost 180 each, which is a little more than a dollar. Absurd. Hopefully this changes after the full release.

Other than that, I'm enjoying it. Fighting the monsters is fun, the build-crafting is fun (though it's a real pain to build up a new piece of equipment), and the weapons feel different from one another, which is good for a Monster Hunter game. Most importantly, it's getting me out of the house on daily morning walks, getting me out of bed and getting some sun, which is pretty much what I want the most out of it.

Yeah I truly do not understand the point of paintballs. At first I thought it was for passengers in cars or trains to tag monsters so that they can be fought later but the speed limit on MHG is way more strict than PoGo and nothing even attempts to spawn if you are in a vehicle. I guess it's to save monsters to fight later with friends?

It is fun but the usual Niantic server issues plague it. I'd write it off as a beta issue if PoGo wasn't the exact same way, and it's really not something I can just flip open and check for a few seconds. Not that it matters because at work there's nothing that really spawns around me.

It does seem to be a lot more demanding in terms of walking which is cool. You also don't have to clear out your items every 30 seconds like with PoGo which is nice. Feels more RPG like. I'm not sure how much I'll play it for the beta since it's all just going to reset anyways but it's a neat little thing. Ultimately the MH brand isn't as strong in the US, so I'm not sure how much play it'll get, but we'll see.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 13, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Rapner posted:

The thing I am shocked by is how shallow all of Niantic's games are. There is SO much you could do with AR and map based games and it is all just find x, click it, and do paper toss or fruit ninja.

Like imagine if you had Crusader Kings where blocks were baronies and suburbs were counties, and things grew from there. Or some kind of zone of control game with factorio style belts like Mindustry. But no, they seem perma stuck in 1st generation iphone game mechanics.

In many ways you are describing Ingress and have you ever spoken to someone who actually played Ingress? And that was just drawing triangles.

Complexity leads to server load and confused players. PoGo was great because it was a very simple game capitalizing on a beloved brand. You could do something like you describe but it won't capture the "52 year old mom" or "12 year old boy" demographic that kept PoGo running. Hell, they put out a whole game based off Harry Potter with the same kind of idea and I'm pretty sure it's dead now.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Renegret posted:

I played ingress!

It was super cool and I dropped it after two weeks because the effort involved and time commitment was astronomical. It very much felt like a game that expected you to devote more effort than I was willing.

Yeah same, I had heard of it off and on for year and when PoGo was coming out I decided to try it. Set up some triangles, farmed some energy, said "well this isn't something I'm dedicating my life to" and then punched out.

I mean the whole game is personified by that one group that flew to iceland or something like that just to set up a bigass triangle. Pretty impressive! Utterly insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Len posted:

I don't think we're in MHN beta anymore I think it's just the full release

Oh, I guess you're right, looking at Google.

...which makes the very debug looking loading bars at launch kind of weird.

gwrtheyrn posted:

So what you're saying is it's representing the monster hunter experience well

Yeah grinding the poo poo out of rare parts to get upgrades is basically MH to a T.

I'd say the onboarding for the game is pretty smooth, although I'm already itching to get something other than the sword and shield.

The worst part thus far is definitely the monetization, which if this is launch is absurd. Items are way too expensive, and even the gem packs don't give that much. A little under 2000 gems/~15 bucks for a 10 paintballs is absurd. I guess when you equate them to raid passes it isn't egregious but it's still crazy. And the whole "use this item to expand your access range" premium item after Niantic was just in hot water for reverting the ring size in PoGo is pretty cynical.

But at the same time you don't actually need to buy anything, so it's a wash.

Other than that, yeah, it's monster hunter. I think a lot of people who aren't familiar with the series are going to be confused by it, especially when it comes to breaking parts and such, but if you have played MH at all then it's an easy sell.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Sep 14, 2023