Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Has Alcazar been acting funny for anybody else? I'm getting lots of graphical glitches. I've tried reinstalling the app, restarting my phone, but no luck.

I had this problem on my previous phone. After 20 or so minutes things just started to disappear and I had to restart the game. On my newer phone it still works as a charm, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

mrkillboy posted:

Monument Valley is also on sale for 99 cents

So I bought it and completed all ten original level in a tad more than an hour. It was a cool experience for the money, but eight more levels cost something like 2.5 dollars and I'm not sure if it's worth it. Can anyone tell me if those additional levels are not as easy and/or more lengthy?

Fake edit: I know I'm a cheapskate.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I don't think I did. Should I worry?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The thread's dear Hoplite has updated today and they've added Challenge Mode, where you have to clear three levels with a pre-determined set of perks. There are 100 challenges to try + daily challenges. I strongly recommend downloading it again, if someone deleted it for some reason.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Poopy Palpy posted:

It's been a long time since I scored all the hoplite chievos; are the unlocks hidden until you get them or does the new one not unlock anything?

You can see all available achievements without completing anything. All challenges are also open by default and I don't think you need to unlock perks to unlock them.
Also, there are not 100, but more than a 1,000 of normal and hard challenges named after every possible Greek. A bit overwhelming.

\/\/\/ There is an Alexis, I think.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 19, 2015

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Hey, everyone.

Just wanted to let you know that if you've already bought Desktop Dungeons for your tablet, you can rip the apk and install it to your phone. It will even download all required resources. As usual, fonts are not exactly large, but readable nonetheless. Otherwise, the game seems to be perfectly playable if you can handle some precision tapping.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

InShaneee posted:

I've had good experiences with Andy:

http://www.andyroid.net

Can it emulate phones or is it just tablets?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Xander77 posted:

What's a good Android app emulator that can run without issues on a lovely laptop? Google keeps finding articles recommending Bluestacks, but even trying to turn it on grinds the computer to a hold, and it crashes within minutes.

Also, does your emulator of choice have a way to replicate two-finger screen gestures (squeezing something or flicking it away)?

I use Genymotion for work, but it's a bit sluggish and playing games on it would require a substantial amount of fiddling, I imagine. But it emulates a variety real devices and is objectively better than emulators that come with Android SDK.

I also tried Andy today, and if it supported phone emulation and could be rooted on Mac, it would be the best. Still, pretty much ideal for gaming purposes from what I gathered.

E: Oh, and I think pretty much all emulators support multi-touch gestures in one way or another.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Lifeline is great so far. A really nice idea for a game.

precision posted:

It makes me wish I knew anything about Android programming, because I would totally be down for writing a bunch of games like Lifeline. Sadly it would almost certainly pay better than writing novels. :(

You can try playing around with Choice of Games engine.
https://www.choiceofgames.com/make-your-own-games/choicescript-intro/
https://www.choiceofgames.com/looking-for-writers/

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 7, 2015

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I still think Taylor is a clueless male undergrad. This was my first impression and nothing so far proves otherwise, but it's obviously intentionally ambiguous.

Although a woman wouldn't be able to smash a metal door open, am I right? :mrapig:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

mrkillboy posted:

EvoCreo, a Kickstarted monster collecting RPG that may or may not remind you of Pokemon, is out now on the Play Store.

Wow. I'm surprised Nintendo didn't sue.

I want to be the greatest at what I do
Like nobody before me
To catch them is my actual challenge
To evoke them is my raison d'être.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Kheldarn posted:

Twitter superstar Pakalu Papito now has a game: Camel Ride.

Games based on twitter. Shut down Google Play now!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

mrkillboy posted:

Security guard simulator Five Nights at Freddy's 4 is out.

This time it's a child simulator, which is more fitting, really.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Antifreeze Head posted:

Anyone have an opinion on that Zero Punctuation game?

It's stupid but fun. You can check it in your browser.
http://hatfall.escapistmagazine.com/

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Malek posted:

I enjoyed it for the moment but it got dry pretty quick.

Just like your mum. :v:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Coldbird posted:

I posted a review a couple pages ago. Only got half an hour into it and was not at all impressed. Confusing, unfinished feel, poor localization, and a lack of its big selling point (strategy). I didn't bother going very far, it might open up later, but my impression was that it would only get worse.

Basically same here. They couldn't even bother to proof read copy on their Google Play page, even though, as they put it,

quote:

In space, there's no place mistake.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

mrkillboy posted:

For anyone who thought that Lifeline seemed to take some inspiration from the book/movie The Martian, there's now an official Martian game that seems to take inspiration from Lifeline.

I haven't watched the movie yet, but intend to. Should I wait with buying the game to avoid spoilers?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

mrkillboy posted:

Probably. The whole set up for the game hinges on one of the coolest parts of the story, and you immediately get an ingame email that pretty much sums up the first third of the plot.

Thanks. Hope the film is worth it, too.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Does Shakira comment on your underperformance and calls you names like Jason Statham does in his sniper game? Asking for a friend.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

mrkillboy posted:

Well, that's unfortunate. The official release date is actually tomorrow so try checking it out then. I'm liking a lot of what I've played so far.

Is it challenging at any point? It looks nice, but the video makes it look very simple.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Deep Winter posted:

Absolutely correct! But now that new man hours were spent porting, optimizing, and adding new features, the price rises. This is basic economics.

New features. In a FF mobile port. Nice one.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 9, 2016

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Nice. Now I know not to buy it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

:toot: Animal Crossing :toot: and Fire Emblem will be coming to mobile this fall.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/04/27/nintendo-animal-crossing-fire-emblem-apps/

quote:

Fire Emblem, for instance, is normally a tactical role-playing game, giving you control of a small anime army as it battles through difficult skirmishes. Nintendo says the mobile version will be a "more accessible" take that still offers "great value."

Yeah, I'll probably pass, but thanks for trying.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Muffinlord posted:

The 3D ones have fared better than the 2D ones did, by virtue of not having low-res sprites to upconvert.

FF9 is the worst mobile port so far, actually.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Harrow posted:

I'm in the market for a game that fits these criteria:
  • RPG, ideally something turn-based.
  • Can be played in short bursts easily. I'm glad that I can get Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games on my phone but those are the kinds of games I want to really sit down and play for a while.
  • I'd prefer something where I don't have to feel like I need to reroll for a good start--that's a big turn-off for me.
  • It's okay if it's not free. Free is good, but I'll pay a few bucks for a good mobile game.
Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!

I would recommend Desktop Dungeons and Hoplite.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's an official game, too. Wow.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Malek posted:

I got a survey asking if I was African or of African decent,

White privilege is worth 12 cents.

Trick question. Everyone is from Africa. You will probably not get any more surveys in the future.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Morpheus posted:

Ahahah $26 loving SquareEnix, jesus christ.

God drat it. Do they ever have sales? I'd probably pay :10bux: for this game, but 25 is a bit too much.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Just got my king to 103 years in power. The game is really simple, but the way the overarching story unfolds with additional cards keeps it fresh for me for now. If I had to give one complaint, I would say effects of some cards is not very logical, especially when it comes to the people and the army.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Oh man, I remember playing Fallen London in my browser seven years ago. I hope they've done something with grinding, because grinding in a text game is even worse than regular grinding.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm looking for a puzzle game with quick levels, and preferably with daily challenges. Basically, something to tinker with while the kettle is heating up and the tea is brewing. Previously my go-to game for that was Alkazar, but I've already solved every level there and daily challenges stopped being interesting after some time.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Oenis posted:

The Hexcells games are very good puzzle games, all of them. But I think it was the last one that also has endless randomly generated levels (although they're not as hard as the levels included, they're pretty fun for a while)

edit: Oh sorry I thought I was in the steam thread. Sorry. Nevermind.

There's actually this android game that based on screenshots looks kind of similar to Hexcells
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eppa_apps.sixcells
So I'll try it, I guess.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Dancer posted:

I stopped playing it ages ago, but I think Hoplite added some sort of daily challenges.

Oh yeah, it's a great game, but I got bored of it after half a year or so. There's a similar one that I've found recently called Enyo.

tonytheshoes posted:

You might try Mini Metro, which definitely has daily challenges, and is a fun game otherwise.

Maybe I'll pick it up on sale. 5 bucks is a bit too steep for me right now.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Foxhound posted:

The Fire Emblem games never stuck with me when I played them on the DS/3DS, adding IAP and stsamina gating probably won't make me like them more.

What if I told you they've also dumbed it down significantly?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

are there any other games like this one? I 've played Mr Robot, Replica and Sara is Missing and this sort of thing somehow really scratches my itch for android gaming

Try Lifeline games.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Gavinvin posted:

The thing that's annoying me most about this fire emblem game is that if one of your characters die, they lose any experience and levels they had gained that round.

At first I thought the game was buggy and forgetting I levelled, but then I realised the mechanic.

Especially annoying when I've just bumped up my rogues rarity and now he can be one shot by just about anyone because he's level 1 again.

Yeah, the annoying part is that the game dares to have some challenge and actual gameplay. Not the stupid gashapon fuckery.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Gavinvin posted:

It's more the fact that the AI seems to deliberately target characters who have leveled up over ones who would be easier or tactically more advantageous to take out. I've had times where the AI has had the choice between a low health unit of the colour it has advantage over versus another unit who has just levelled and has advantage over it, and it'll still attack the levelled unit.

Its not tactics, its just to get you to buy more currency and level them up outside of battle rather than in battle.

Huh, haven't noticed it yet. I felt like they were targeting whoever they had a chance to kill, but I'll keep an eye on that.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Dandy Dungeons started out charming and funny, but it all falls apart when you realise that all dungeons are of the same size, and the only challenge you might encounter, provided your gear is grind-upgraded sufficiently, is when you sometimes need a specific item to beat the dungeon. So you fail it once, get the item, fail again because your equipment is not strong enough, grind previous dungeons that are supposed to be bloody puzzles and therefore constitute no challenge after the first completion, beat the dungeon, and repeat again with a new dungeon. The gameplay does not evolve, which is ironic for a game where the main character creates a game and incrementally makes it better. There are things like special maps and bosses leveling up, but it's still the same thing over and over again.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I don't remember if Reigns has been mentioned in the thread already but it's a nice and polished game. It's a kingdom management game with a tinder interface. There's some kind of adventure element too, playing more will unlock new characters and story development.

It has maybe 2 hours of engaging gameplay, and after that it's just trying new options on events you've already seen. Still, a nice game, but may not be worth the price for some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

EzEight posted:

whats the latest hotness in mobile mmos that goons are into now?

Fire Emblem Heroes?