Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Killmeagain
Applied to goons as Artelier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Attack the Light fits the no internet rpg request right? It's a Steven universe game with inspiration from the Mario rpg games

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

How's The World Ends With You on Android? I'm asking from a perspective of someone who has played it before on the DS (and thinks it's one of the best games of all time), so mostly I'm asking about:
- Control scheme
- Other big changes I should know before going in

I asked this in the RPG thread but either people missed it, or no one there has played it so I thought I might have better luck here.

Asking now mainly because I heard they updated and it now works on Lollipop onwards. Used to be compatible up to Jellybean only.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I just got my hands on newly released Space Grunts and have been loving it so far.

It's a roguelike where most of the strategy comes from how you tackle rooms with your three main guns - a short ranged gun, a frag-like missile launcher, and a piercing lightning gun, with the potential to grab crowbars along the way for some melee action. The videos make it seem fast and it can move fast, but it's turn based, with a handy UI that tells you what your guns are going to hit and a good simple interface. Three main characters with slightly differing styles of play, though the core gameplay is so far the same.

I bought it yesterday for RM10 which I think is about 3 or 4 US$, and I've already pumped a couple hours into it. I haven't made it past floor five though, the game gets brutal quick. It's tempting to also fly through the levels but then it's easy to get punished. I like it a lot.

Don't think there's a multiplayer component but there is a daily dungeon run component, which killed me at floor 4. It felt a lot harder than a normal dungeon run.

Anyone who is hankering for a fast paced roguelike should definitely check it out and see if it appeals to you.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Morpheus posted:

Is there any persistence between runs, or is it your roguelike style of wiping out 100% of progress between runs?

No persistence as far as I can tell. 100% wipe.

Yeah, Darkest Dungeon (or something in a similar vein) would be a great phone roguelike.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

nexus6 posted:

That looks awesome. Does it have gamepad support? I have a few other Orange Pixel games and they do.

Looks like it from the forums? Maybe? I didn't look too hard into it because I don't have one for my Android.

http://www.orangepixel.net/forum/viewforum.php?id=12

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I can't get past level 10 in Space Grunts, which irks me because at least five people have finished the game.

As far as inventory space goes, different characters have different amounts of space, and they even do different damage too. For instance, even though the Techjunky is said to mainly be an item focused character, their damage output for the main gun and the lightning gun is stronger than the other two - but the main gun range is one range less, which is a big deal.

tentacles posted:

It warms my heart that I'm not the only Malaysian goon on these forums

And to find one who also actually pays for mobile games! Fuzzies all over

Apa khabar? What have you spent money on?

I mostly get mine from the Android Humble Bundles, mostly because I wanted that Canabalt and Alone! Alone in particular is brutal as all hell.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Onean posted:

Ludosity's PsyCard is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_gVAQiSxxw

It's a pseudo-Minesweeper game played with two people where you aren't given perfect information, compounded by the fact that you can't see your opponent's picks. It has a single player story mode with multiple playable characters, along with split-screen and hotseat multiplayer. There's also a bonus mode where you wander around a maze collecting gear and magic and fighting enemies using PsyCard. If you're familiar with Ludosity, this game continues with their charming writing and characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZFDghKdHII

The only thing worth mentioning that video doesn't, is the number of skulls in the top corners tell you how many skulls are in those card colors.

This game is super fun but can be really aggravating. The number of times I had to make a blind guess and of course it was the one skull in the entire 9 unopened red cards left that were left is insane. :(

Good game though. I also got into DigRun which has it's own twist on the puzzle game genre: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=biz.afeel.digrun&hl=en

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Arbitrary Number posted:

I found the campaign to be pretty good in terms of difficulty. On my first run through I barely missed getting enough points to get 8th place to enter the final tourney. It felt like I was improving as I went on. Player skill feels like it matters. At least, when I get bored of calculating the odds and tracking skulls and I pick randomly it feels like I get skulls way more often than if I go slowly.

I had a few times where the AI found 3 fruit in very few moves but they were very rare. Most games ended with over half the board taken iirc. I also had a few times where I won in very few moves so I figure fair's fair. Like you said, maybe you were very unlucky (and I was lucky).

There were quite a few times where I had no guaranteed safe card unless I used a star power. In the situation you mentioned, the general location of a skull is pretty valuable information, so starting with that knowledge might not be so bad. That part of the RNG didn't bother me as much as the times when the AI decides to steal a fruit I was going for. It feels bad, especially when there's only 1 fruit left.

Which character did you pick? I chose the girl who could find 2 safe tiles next to skulls for 1 star and find 2 skulls for 2 stars. Both of these powers seemed really useful, making big areas safe (especially since the default mode only has 3 skulls across the 2 colors). I tried a little with the guy who could find cards near borders and he didn't seem as good. 1 star for a safe card on the border and 3 for all of them on the border seems overpriced comparatively.

Yeah, this is my impression too after my initial run through the campaign. First run was the evil looking guy who could see the opponent's cards but second round I'm using the skull finding powers and having a much easier time with it.

Also, as I played, my Minesweepering got better, and I deduced possible fruit locations and safe spots MUCH faster. Woohoo.

Sometimes it's roll of the dice though. Especially in the colourless tournament.

DEFAULT RULESET:
3 skulls
2 colours of cards - the top of the screen shows how many skulls per colour
5 fruit
2 stars

Once I deduced this information (which I believe the game never gives you in its entirety), I started having a lot more success. Also, opponents only do their special card picking animation if they're one fruit away from victory or "have" to risk picking a skull.

I'm fourth place in the second half of the game, with maybe 6 tournaments to go.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Final boss in Psycard has insane powers:
- reveal all the cards you've unveiled
- reveal all cards with fruits

This means that if he uses the second power and you don't have any clues, you're boned and have to YOLO guess before he gets his next turn or two. drat.

EDIT: That might not have been the final boss, I looked into the quick game characters and there's still one silhouette left..

Artelier fucked around with this message at 10:15 on May 9, 2016

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Applied for Summonthing Awful as Artelier.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Slingshot Racing works fine on Huawei P9, and is goddamn addictive. So simple to pick up and then you start trying to maximise your speed...

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I didn't get the email, but it sounds like a board game mashup?

I do like Galaxy Trucker though, great fun even when solo. Fun, with lots of crying when one asteroid ruins everything.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Millennial Sexlord posted:

Holy gently caress the last fights of Solitairica are insanity. This gangster seal sets every card in the front row on fire every couple turns, which just burns through any armor and health you have, and then wallops you with an 8 damage club. Smooth sailing until him, where I used 2 hour glasses and still died. Jfc

I've finished twice on a Warrior deck, so here's what I do. Warrior has the right-most upgrade (+1 armour when drawing a certain type of king) and 5 or 6 item slots.

Here's my general strat:

For the first six to eight fights or so, you want to hoard money as almost nothing has the ability to threaten you besides the...I think it was Handsome Elf. Specifically, you want the 1 purple skill that turns all front cards to triple coins (30 gold) and abuse it when you see a lot of cards you can combo. If you can, pair this up with the double a gold card's worth item (80 gold).

You'll also want a 4 green skill that allows you to change a card's adjacent cards to numbers in a sequence (40 gold iirc). This card allows you to keep your combo going, and of course if you can do a long streak you can get ridiculous amounts of gold. I've had more than 200 gold total at the end with particularly long streaks. This card also stays useful all the way to endgame.

But most importantly, the best skill I've found is 4 blue; stun the enemy for two turns. This move stacks and can really help extend your life. If you hit it twice in a row, the opponent will take an extra 4 turns, on top of everything else, to move, and no one is immune to it, not even bosses.

Both runs I reached the endgame with:
- Default 3 red to attack one card. Good for finishing off single tiles or to allow a combo.
- 6 red, destroy a column.
- Default 3 blue to gain 2 armour. On both runs, I was lucky to get this turtle item that gives me +1 armour every time I gain armour (also works with the King upgrade).
- 4 blue stun two turns, really the best skill in the game.
- 4 green make adjacent cards go in sequence. I tried the bigger make 2 adjacent cards but the higher mana cost turned out prohibitive.
- 4 pink heal 4. Almost useless by the end because I'm stunlocking and then sequencing cards but still.

I also had items that gave me more blue at start (one costs 60 that gives you 4 blue, which allows you to stun someone immediately), ones for more HP and armour (there's an endgame guy that does 15 in 5 turns), and most especially the glasses which lets you see the second card underneath. The last item costs 80 gold but is so so so worth it, helps you sequence better.

That's about it. Stunlock enemies to death; don't have to worry too much about the cleansing card. I tried it a bit but the cost is awkward and I'd rather do lots of small moves so that I can make tiny adjustments.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Xtanstic posted:

Oh my god that Hidden My Game Mom game has a sequel. The first one was hilarious and the ending was surprisingly good??

http://app.hap.ne.jp/mom2/
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.jp.ne.hap.mom2

thanks!

finished in one sitting! good but feels... easier? maybe I'm more used to the logic from the first game but still fun for its time!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Got a link? I typed it into a play store and lots of freemium games showed up

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Deakul posted:

So, Mass Effect Andromeda sort of introduced me to sudoku with the remnant puzzles and I kind of love it now and was wondering if there were any great apps with varying difficulty levels (since I'm still pretty stupid with them) out?

Doesn't have to be strictly numbers since it was symbol based in MEA.

try Inequality? Phone posting but the logo is like math symbols larger than and smaller than together.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Yeah, I'm in Asia too, and Chroma Squad is definitely unavailable on the Play Store, and on Steam too.

BUT. I got it a few months ago! On Humble Bundle, so like most other good games if you wait long enough it'll probably come up there again. If you can't wait, then why not get it from the Humble Store?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

queeb posted:

can i just bullshit my way through KODP and do ok? i wanna get into it cause it sounds awesome but i have no idea what is happening. guess i can RP as the worst cheif ever

You totally can. I'm not sure if there IS a game over condition besides "take too long to win" (which is a long time). It's fun just seeing all the different outcomes to events.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Quite a few sales going on atm. I snagged Door Kickers which is pretty cheap and looks fun to play on mobile.

There's also the Rusty Lake Roots and Rusty Lake Hotel.

(I'm Malaysian so am not sure what the prices are in dollars/other currencies, but these seem to have pretty big discounts atm)

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

mrkillboy posted:

Looks like the American version of the new Layton game is out now (here's also the link to the Euro version again). Besides regional availability, I'm not sure what are the differences (if any) between them.

For those in Malaysia (and probably South East Asia), the Euro link works

RM65, which is approximately USD15 if you're wondering about the price

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

mrkillboy posted:

After a couple of weeks on iOS, Motorsport Manager 2 is now out for Android.

Any impressions on this? I love the first one and I hope the sequel doesn't make it too much of a sim. Also I hope there's slightly more to do mid-race ; maybe I was playing it badly, but I was mostly passive then.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So how is Framed 2? Loved the first one since I just picked it up on sale but a quick glance at the new one's reviews talks about iffy performance issues..

Artelier fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 19, 2017

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

You Must Build a Boat doesn't require Internet last I checked and is addictive af.

King of Dragon Pass if you want a hefty CYOA? Not sure about internet, as it's not compatible with my current phone (Huawei P9)

Artelier fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 27, 2017

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Seconding KoDP. It's not so much a cyoa as it is a civilization building game (resource management, diplomacy, trade, exploration, war) with a heavy focus on building a narrative. It is dope af and never leaves my phone.

I play it like a CYOA. :colbert:

But yes, you're right, King of Dragon Pass is a civilization building game (specifically, ancienty mythical tribe management) with a lot of story choices that affect how your civilization ends up. For instance you'll use a turn to start trade with a neighbouring tribe, and then the game will present to you a small story scenario and you'll be prompted to make a choice as tribe leader. The decision can affect your stats, your standing with other tribes, and may or may not trigger future story events.

A proper CYOA is 80 Days, which is also great.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Just bought King of Dragon Pass, but it keeps saying Index File Not Found, when downloading data from in-game. Refunded but I want it to work :negative:

Just saw this! When I updated to my current Huawei P9, it couldn't play KODP. I sent them an email about it and they gave me a steam key to replace it since it was an issue that they couldn't solve anytime soon. They were quick with it too, like Yeah just this one brand of phone (chip set) doesn't support our game so hopefully you can enjoy it on pc.

I know it's not the perfect fix but might be worth a shot if you just wanna play it and don't have another copy.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

For Picross I find it helps to just do a complete restart so that I look at the board fresh again. I'm not great at it but that always helps me.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Cassa posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/promotion_cyberweek2018_premium_games

Some decent dollars off, but anyone not using google play bucks at this point?

Me, because surveys are a no go here. :(

Actually that link doesn't work for me either, any specific games on it? I picked up FFT and Motorsport Manager 3 on sale when the thread mentioned it...

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

just got on buriedbornes, killed the ancient king, and now it's asking me if i wanna register for karma, should i? dunno what it does

edit : got impatient and said yes, it turns out to be some sort of pvp mode where you fight other buriedbornes (player data i guess?)

Artelier fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 31, 2019

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I just read that an official DOOM and DOOM II from Bethesda are out on the play store, and I can't find it anywhere. One person made a post asking the same thing on Bethesda's forums, but nobody really responded to it.

Is this just a case of my phone sucking so bad I just can't see the game in the store? I've had something like that happen before with a game my phone couldn't handle, but I just don't know how all this works anymore. :smith:

normally games you can't install can still be seen, it will say you have no compatible devices

more likely it's not available in your region, i think

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

speaking of sports games, any recommendations? something to play one match at a time in short bursts

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

This is going to sound weird, but is there something like a (preferably offline) pay-once-to-get-game-only gacha?

I keep bouncing off a lot of the thread recommendations just because it feels like too much work, too fast, and I feel like I never last. Yes, I realise they're designed to be like that to get money off whales. I just like collecting things and seeing pretty art and seeing numbers go up.

Of course, if I have to pay for the game and it's STILL unsustainable cooldown city then...that's not what I'm looking for.

I realise there might not be anything that fits this bill. :(

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

cultist simulator is 70 percent off, how's it on mobile? on a OnePlus 6 and wondering if it's worth it

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

What is this AI Dungeon thing being posted? I can't find it on the Play Store.

Also, Hatoful Boyfriend is on sale. Is the Android version worth getting?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

You have made me look like a fool, a fool!

(Thank you! It wasn't showing up when I searched it for...some reason)

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Stardew Valley on Android: yes or no? I was eyeing it on Steam, then I realised Play Store has a similar sale for me.

Disclosure: Never played a Harvest Moon-type game before, so am honestly not sure if I'll enjoy it. Looking for a "chill experience" where I hopefully get to make pretty farm and have good vibes! I know it's a different type of game, but think Animal Crossing.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

dungeon warfare 1 and 2 are both on sale, they're both good right? if i were to only get one, which one should it be?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

What item is that? I'm asking for...story curiosity purposes >.>

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is there a free voice recording app for the Android that doesn't have ads (or at least, none that are too obtrusive)? On my previous OnePlus 6 it had an app for this built into the system, but my current Samsung doesn't seem like it has one built into it.

I found a few on the app store but their ads really get in the way, like I'm trying to browse for the record button and it hits me with an ad.

Just to be clear, I'm not necessarily against ads, just one ones like this that take up the whole screen and make me 30 seconds and they do it suddenly in the middle of me navigating the UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks so much, that works perfectly!

Also just realised I posted this in the Gaming thread and not the general Android thread, my b!