Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
I think you should also add Monument Valley, Hitman Go and 10000000 on that list. They also get mentioned quite a lot, maybe enough to get on the essentials list. Otherwise they're all puzzle games.

I also like to suggest The World Ends With You, Mage Gauntlet and Wayward Souls (RPGs), Metal Slug Defense (free to play), Motorsport Manager, Table Tennis Touch, NBA Jam (sports), and Ski Safari, Pako and Punch Quest (arcade action).

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

Man, I hosed up for sure. This is a great reminder of how many badass games there are on Android.

Eh, I think you've done a good job. So many good games have come out since the last thread was started so any list put together would probably still accidentally overlook a lot of things.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
QuizUp is also another really polished trivia game, but probably not exactly what you're looking for.

There's also an unofficial remake of Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?, simply called Carmen.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Fatal Fight is a One Finger Death Punch clone that's pretty fun.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
There's a new Humble Mobile Bundle out. The games so far this round are:

Auro
Bounden
Avernum: Escape From the Pit
80 Days (beat the average)
Kingdom Rush Origins Premium (beat the average)
Riddick: The Merc Files (beat the average)

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
The Adventures of Poco Eco, a Monument Valley-esque puzzler which has gotten some good reviews on iOS, is now out for Android.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
The developers of the Reckless Racing games have a new non-racing game out called Space Marshals. It's a tactical top down shooter with some very nice graphics and the iOS version has gotten some pretty great reviews too. You can pick it up for $5.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
I'm really enjoying Space Marshals. The gameplay is really satisfying, especially once you replace your hilariously pathetic starter weapons with more useful ones, and the game gives you incentives to replay levels by offering you multiple unlockables to choose from. The game is also quite challenging with a bit of a leaning curve to get used to its quasi-tactical combat, but thankfully there's a really forgiving checkpoint system in place too.

The virtual controls can be fiddly at times though, and although the game seems to encourage stealth, there doesn't seem to be a way to do silent kills so it seems a bit pointless to play that way (to be fair I'm still early on though). Its also a bit of a battery hog and its heated up my phone much more than any other app I've used on it before.

Aside from those grumbles, I think its pretty great. It's super polished, has no IAPs and there's at least one more content pack of new levels on the way to add to what's already in the game.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 11, 2015

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
A port of the original Postal is out on the Amazon App Store. This comes after Google rejected a potential release on the Play Store last week because of "gratuitous violence".

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
I keep an eye on sites like Pocketgamer UK, Toucharcade, Android Police and Droid Gamers myself.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Stock-market flavored twitch reaction game The Firm is now on Android.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Radiohammer is pretty fun, and the gameplay reminds me a bit of Rhythm Heaven. There's a free version and a paid version.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Finally, there's a Joe Danger game out for Android. It's a port of the made for iOS Joe Danger Touch that come out more than 2 years ago rather than the more recent Joe Danger Infinity that came out last year.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Out of nowhere Square Enix have put out a new, non-Final Fantasy RPG called Masters of the Masks on the Play Store. It looks like it plays like a turn-based Battleheart.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
I believe its even deposited into the same balance as regular Google Play credit so you can top it off with a gift card if you don't have enough. You can't combine payment options (like pay half by credit card) however.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
There's a new Humble Mobile Bundle out, this time showcasing developer Tin Man Games' adventure gamebooks. The games this time are:

An Assassin in Orlandes
Siege of the Necromancer
Slaves of Rema
Judge Dredd: Countdown Sector 106
Sultans of Rema (beat the average)
Fighting Fantasy: Caverns of the Snow Witch (beat the average)
Curse of the Assassin (beat the average)
Trial of the Clone (beat the average)
Fighting Fantasy: Starship Traveller (pay $9 or more)
Ryan North's To Be Or Not To Be (pay $9 or more)

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
EA have widely released a mobile version of EA Sports UFC after a few months in soft launch. They seem to have modeled their game quite a bit on Injustice Mobile (but unfortunately without the superheroes).

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 21, 2015

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
The mobile version of Mortal Kombat X is finally out for Android. It looks like its only available for a few countries at the moment; you might have better luck than me trying to download it.

edit: some people on Twitter are saying its showing up as incompatible for everyone, so it might have gone up a bit prematurely.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Apr 22, 2015

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Roid666 posted:

Anybody know when today Plunder Pirates supposed to be available?

This one?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Anyone looking for an old school beat 'em up might want to check out Beatdown!, a new old iOS brawler just ported to Android from the Random Heroes people.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
The devs behind Smash Hit and Granny Smith have an intriguing new game out called Does Not Commute. It's a driving/puzzle game where you get various vehicles to a checkpoint across a map, with the aim being to get as many to the checkpoint as possible as you replay the level again and again with different cars, their paths now swarming the map, all against a time limit. Phew!

Its free with a single IAP to unlock checkpoints.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Apr 23, 2015

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
I think I've found the spiritual successor to Seaman.

quote:

"Crisp and crunchy! Great value!!
Low calorie and popular with women: ""Moyashi""
A game that allows you to grow them to your heart's content is
finally! Here…!!
And it's called
_人人人人人人人_
> MOYASHIBITO <
 ̄Y^Y^Y^Y^Y^Y ̄

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 24, 2015

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
All of SNK's paid games are on sale for 99 cents.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

New Leaf posted:

Any of them worth a drat on a phone?

On some newer devices the Metal Slugs apparently suffer some kind of weird bug where the virtual buttons absurdly take up almost the entire screen, so its probably best to avoid them. Otherwise they're fairly decent ports and I had no issues playing them on a phone.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Table Tennis Touch is on sale for $2. I like it a lot; it's just a really polished, really satisfying to play ping pong game.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 26, 2015

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Aranan posted:

Does anybody play that Spider-Man endless runner game? I snagged it because Spider-Man is cool but I don't know if I'll be hitting a brick wall in terms of IAP stuff soon.

You should be fine if you're just playing the weekly events or the endless mode but the campaign mode will require you to have Spider-Men of ever increasing XP levels to progress, which you may need to fork over some gems for at the portal. Otherwise the game is pretty forgiving with handing out Spider-Mans (you get a new one per day), and I've never really come across a situation where I absolutely needed to spend money to get more gems/vials for something.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Apr 26, 2015

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Just in time for the big new movie (The Age of Adaline I think?), beat 'em up/action RPG Marvel Future Fight should be rolling out globally sometime this week. I've been playing it since it soft launched a few weeks ago; its pretty fun though ultimately quite mindless.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Frogmanv2 posted:

Its fun, in a way. Most of my game time is spent with iron-man, collecting up all the possible enemies, then doing his AoE attack to take them down asap. Boss fights are largely the same as well. Avoid attack by moving in a circle, attack once, avoid next attack by moving in a circle, wait for special attack to come off cool down while moving in a circle and attacking.

I'm running a main trio of Black Widow, Cap and Blade and I've gotten to chapter 5 by mainly just running up to enemies and punching them in the face until they die. I don't think I even bother trying to dodge enemy attacks at all.

They've also just updated the game to be way, way more difficult so it's going to somehow be even more grindy now. Good thing I've got like something like 1100/60 stamina banked!

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Frogmanv2 posted:

Elite or normal?

Normal. I had gotten them to level 22 so they were fairly resilient before the update (now they get hammered in the first wave of enemies - this is how much they increased the difficulty).

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Semisponge posted:

I'm looking for a match-three game with rpg elements a la Puzzle Quest. Anyone got any recommendations?

Try 10000000, Adventure Xpress, Spellfall or Fat Princess: Piece of Cake.

The sequel to 10000000 is also out next month.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

wall monitor posted:

:getin:

I didn't realize it was so soon!

Here's a TouchArcade preview from a month back. It's looking real good.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Double Fine's Broken Age is finally out for Android.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
If a movie themed version of Wario Ware or the Dumb Ways To Die game sounds interesting to you, Climax might be worth checking out.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
A port of the first Ys game, Ys Chronicles 1, has eased its way onto the Play Store.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 29, 2015

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Halfbrick have a new puzzle game out called Bears vs Art. The game itself is pretty cool but all the F2P stuff kind of ruins it.

Also new Kairosoft: Fish Pond Park.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 30, 2015

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is on sale on the Play Store for $3 (down from ten).

Also Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga has also popped up on the store.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Apr 30, 2015

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Galaga: Tekken Edition, originally an April Fool's joke, somehow exists and is out on the Play Store.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
SwapQuest, a puzzle RPG that's pretty much the bastard child of Final Fantasy and Pipe Mania, is out now for Android.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

wall monitor posted:

how worthwhile is this, assuming I know nothing about car racing beyond what a few random episodes of Top Gear taught me?

Everything is really simplified, you don't really have to know anything about motorsport to enjoy the game.

There's just something strangely compelling about seeing your two colored dots gradually become better than the other colored dots during the course of the season.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

FadedReality posted:

Looks like that Marvel ARPG launched in the US. It didn't happen to get a patch rolling back the gross grind people were talking about during the soft launch, did it? :pray:

It might have. I mentioned earlier in the thread that they had increased the difficulty to the point that the first wave in a level completely slaughtered me, but playing the same level again a few days later I had no troubles finishing it.