Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

twistedmentat posted:

Its annoying because a modern phone could handle a straight port of Civ2 at least, if not civ3 or 4.

What I wouldn't give for ports of those on my tablet. The closest thing is FreeCiv which just has the worst UI and is fairly impenetrable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

commish posted:

Games have been using that mechanic far before Marvel Heroes. The fact that you pay 350 gems for a premium pack and get parts of a character is beyond silly. Packs are best avoided completely. Better to spend on energy and just farm your pieces.

I just got a complete character from a pack, so I'm not sure what the fuss is about there.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Has Star Trek Timelines not launched in Europe? I can't find it on the Play store here in Germany.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

9 hour flight with my fiancé coming up on Friday this week. What games are there that 1.) have hotseat pass-and-play multiplayer and 2.) don't require an internet connection?

I imagine there are a couple board/card games that fulfill this requirement but I don't know of any for certain.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Has anyone played Atlantic Fleet on Android? It was recently ported to Steam but I'm tempted to pick it up for my tablet instead.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I probably already know the answer to this, but are there any mobile games (on either platform really) that a focused on nation-building, in a way similar to NationStates or CyberNations or eRepublik or all of those old lovely browser-based ones that were all awful in some way or another but still fairly addictive?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Wamdoodle posted:

I swear this question probably gets asked in both app threads a lot but what are the recommendations on deck building games. Already know about Hearthstone. I got Ascension too. How's Card Crawl? Also I don't mind paid apps.

I've been playing the Pathfinder Adventures card game for the last few days and have been having fun, but it's one of those games that definitely isn't for everyone. It's apparently an adaptation of the actual real-life card game but I have no idea how anyone plays it, some of the rules and systems seem pretty convoluted. It also isn't a toilet break game... an adventure can take you anywhere from 10-30 minutes I think. No clue if the game has any legs beyond the first hour or two of enjoyment though. And it runs a bit clunky on my 2013 Nexus 7 (to be expected at this point).

Seconding Star Realms but the campaign can be highly frustrating because I'm pretty sure the AI outright cheats. And you have to pay to play the game against other people (but it's a pay-once-and-never-again model that is also cross-platform, so that's good).

Calculords is technically a collectible card game and is good.

I played SolForge a bit when it first launched but my interest died out. It has interesting mechanics but the devs are pretty bad, and from what I understand the game got bad quick.

Hearthstone probably provides you with the best CCG experience on mobile at the moment. Ascension is probably the best deckbuilding non-CCG game on the Play store too.

Drone fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 20, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Three gyms and three pokestops within a kilometer of my office.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Around my work they are all stores (a huge-rear end liquor store is a pokespot) or interesting street art or memorials or parks, while the three gyms within a kilometer from me are train/bus stations or grocery stores.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

coyo7e posted:

The market for middle aged men to play D&D has been growing lately, too. I doubt it'll hurt their margins. And hey, free advertising

Without digressing too much, GW just released their annual financials and their licensed software is pretty much the only part of their business that is actually growing.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Just got a Note 9 and sad to see that King of Dragon Pass is apparently incompatible with it (either because of the device itself or because of Android 8, not sure which).

Any decent suggestions for a game to play on a transatlantic flight with no internet access, since that was sorta my "dive into this game for hours" fallback.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Anyone playing Rise of Civilizations? I don't know why but I'm in the mood for some awful mass-market huge-rear end strategy thing, and it's apparently both relatively new and pretty well-rated?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

pappawurm posted:

I play. Is there a goon group for this game?

Not that I've seen anywhere? I downloaded it last night to give it a whirl and I guess it's pretty alright, for being One Of Those Clash Of Clans Knockoffs. I'm still within my 2 days of newbie shield time but I get the strong feeling that this game goes nowhere unless you're actively involved in an alliance.

Could just make a goon group I guess but :shrug:

Drone fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 17, 2018

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Lutha Mahtin posted:

It's also a pity that you can't play DQ on mobile

Eh, RetroArch works fine as long as you use a controller and not the lovely on-screen controls.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I have no idea who this is supposed to be for, but I prereg'd out of morbid curiosity.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I know, but I mean I don't get the intended audience here. A nonpausable "massive" ARPG with (from the trailer at least seems to be) a very small amount of characters on screen, a few days after they released a complete Switch port of an actual Diablo game. It's not looking like a commuter-friendly mobile game, so who is it targeted at?

I guess I'm just bitter that after C&C Arena this means yet another Very Old PC Game IP that has been relegated to mobile.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm going to Europe for two weeks, what're some good meaty games I can toss on my phone out recently?

They have the internet in Europe, so I assume you mean for the long flight. King of Dragon Pass, Solitairica, and RetroArch have all saved my rear end on many a transoceanic flight.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I just found out I have a £10 Google play voucher to use by the end of the month and have no loving idea what to spend it on. I haven't played any phone games in a while and they tend not to hold my attention for long. Is there any current hotness or should I just buy Lara Croft / Deus Ex Go like I keep meaning to?

Solitairica.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I bought Star Traders: Frontiers yesterday and so far I'm enjoying it, but maaaan is the onboarding not great. I still have only the foggiest idea of what I'm doing, and I think I just ran into a bug where a mission can't be completed. :(

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Aight so I read the beginner's guide page on the Star Traders: Frontiers wiki then thought, "I'll hop into the game for a few minutes, get everything set up, and then spend my Saturday night watching a movie or something."

Four hours and two failed runs later and I'm addicted to this game. Once you learn your way around the UI (not sure if it's the same as the PC version), this game is a masterpiece for mobile. Single fee, no IAP or ads, and absolutely tons of stuff to do with high replayability.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I love the game but I wouldn't play it on anything smaller than a Note.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I've been having a hankering for Baldur's Gate lately. The Beamdog remasters pretty much all require you to have an actual tablet because of the UI, right? Or would the experience be OK on a larger phone (like a Note 9)?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Game is fun enough for a few lives but it gets really old, really quick.

Also it made me have a hankering for old Real Lives, so I made the mistake of getting a license for the newest (browser-based, ugh) version.

Don't do it, it's real bad. UI all over the place and the translation from... whatever language the developer works in... is often really poor.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

New Leaf posted:

I've never heard a single sound any of my phone games makes.

Phones have... sounds? :confused:

I mean the vibration makes a brrrrrt, does that count? :v:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

cool dance moves posted:

On a related note, theres like a million chess apps, what's a good one for playing against friends and/or AI?

Lichess and Chess.com are the two best apps for both solo play and against friends. Chess.com has the benefit of integration into other social media if your friends don't want to sign up for Yet Another Account, but a lot of its more advanced stuff is blocked off behind a (really quite cheap) monthly subscription... absolutely massive userbase though. Lichess is 100% free, feature-rich, and aesthetically-pleasing and also has a ton of users, but its Elo rating is skewed heavily upwards (meaning you'll have a higher rating than you would have at Chess.com). All online services have a skew like this compared to over-the-board chess, but Lichess's rating is particularly inflated.

Edit: both of them will require an internet connection to be functional though, even for solo play, as their chess engines are hosted online and not installed directly in your app.

Drone fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

got some chores tonight posted:

lichess sets its default at 1500 whereas chess.com uses 1200 as its default

Have lichess ever said why this is, exactly? It seems really strange, especially when you consider 1500 OTB is generally considered to be an intermediate player (at least in USCF), whereas a beginner is somewhere around 800-1000.

Also there's a chess thread that could use more activity, and there's a goon chess club on chess.com (not sure if there's a lichess group, I haven't kept up in awhile): https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490241

Drone fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 14, 2019