Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Yep, I've gotten by him and the Kidnapper in the Spire so far.

Flailing around to figure out what does what is half the fun of Nussy games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I just finished the fifth dungeon (Temple, 10 floors).

Some general tips:

1) Don't be afraid to spend your soulstones; they reset on every trip. When you're given a random skill, equipment or rune, you can reroll it repeatedly and try for something good. Yellow items are uniques that have some funky benefits.

2) Pay attention to your stats and to what items and skills depend on them. That gold sword that sends Strength through the roof only does you so much good if all your skills are based off of Int. Something that does a huge percentage of your Explosion enhancement as damage isn't useful if you don't have Explosion enhancements -- and you probably don't. Look for synergies and items that benefit from them.

3) Thorns are useful for reflecting damage. Thorn Armor and/or Spiked Shield and a tanky build are one way to bring the Minotaur down -- let his meaty attacks kill himself.

4) Summons are rather useful. Let the enemy beat on someone who isn't you. Some skills have summons in their burst mode that you might not expect; like, Sword Dance turns into Dancing Sword.

For a reasonably accessible one that I really like, spend some of your early gold on the Sworn Solidarity Society. Fulfill a couple of quests, enough to get 300 union points, and upgrade their Living Quarters twice to get the Livelihood Support contract.

THAT gets you a handful of useful skills that you can craft in a dungeon for minimal soulstones. Wind Slash only costs 5 and is a useful Int-based attack. Tornado costs 10 and is an upgrade with additional burst forms. And Entangling Roots at 20 is the key, because that has a burst mode that summons a Spirit Wolf based on either your Dex or your Int, whichever is higher, and it is meaty and it is tough.

Not to mention Spirit Growth for 40, which if you cast it before you cast Spirit Wolf, increases its power.

I'm getting into a groove as an Elf Druid opening with Thorn Armor on each floor, then Backstep, which usually triggers burst mode and lets me cast Spirit Wolf and let him do the work. There are certain enemies who can dispel summons, and if your summon runs out of attack skills you may want to unsummon him and start over, but in general it's a good gameplan.

EDIT: Oh, and equipment color is only a general guide to its power. Yellow > Purple > Blue > Green > White in general, both in terms of raw numbers and in terms of modifiers, but the items also increase in power as you go deeper. A white on floor 3 might be more powerful than a blue you picked up on floor 1, in terms of boosting the stat you need most. Comparison-shop when making equipment choices.

delfin fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 12, 2024

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
The prerequisite for a Syndicate is beating the Ancient King. I would be surprised if even diehards have managed that yet.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Still working my way into BB2. The Forest dungeon is hanging me up, because the elites in its later stages are nasty.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Nussy games exist on their own peculiar wavelength, that is irresistible to some and inaudible to many others.

municipal shrimp posted:

Can we get a syndicate going for buriedbornes?

I'm working on it, unless someone beats me there. I'm up to Pandemonium but getting rolled on the way to the boss.

delfin fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 19, 2024

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Finally, reached the Ancient King in BB2. Dropping him was a lot easier than many of his minions.

Syndicate created as GoonCamp.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Shwqa posted:

It tells me that isn't a valid ID.

I mean, I made it. Whether it lets anyone in is another thing.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I've unlocked the elf but don't understand where knife throws/backstabs or final strike stats come from. Acrobatics? It's like I'm playing a different game, I don't recognize any of these functions.

Throw Knives is a purple skill. You can reroll your way to it, or purchase Errand Boys from the Darkmoon Company for easy crafting access to it. It's a three-hit attack based on Dex/Int that's cheap and low cooldown, with an alt mode that costs 10% of your current soulstones and hits like a truck.

Acrobatics is a blue skill that's also craftable via Errand Boys, so pony up some gold and join Darkmoon when you can and spend a few union points on Business Establishment to get it.

Final Blow is a stat that you can get on equipment, from the mod points grid during an adventure, or as part of your class. Executioner has +30% base for it, for example. When it activates, when you score a critical hit, it eats one HP dot from your opponent.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

multistability posted:

Can someone post a really basic guide on how to unlock the elf executioner race/class combo, it's not very clear to me (I never played the first one either so just assume I have 0 knowledge of any systems etc in the game generally)

Sure thing. There are two main ways to unlock things; by spending union points and as dungeon clear rewards.

Elf is the easy part. Spend 300 gold to join the Sworn Solidarity Society; you'll want to join all of the various unions eventually, and once they're purchased you can switch from one to the other for free, so don't hesitate.

Once you're in the SSS, click Order, then click Progress to view the various rewards. You earn Union points through adventuring; whatever union you are currently a member of will award you points as you progress and hack away at things. Once in a while, a union rep will pop up as an in-dungeon event and give you fetch quests to choose from, which are often more trouble than they're worth or ludicrously involved.

So, go dungeon-diving for a while and build up points, then come back to the SSS to spend them. The middle one gives you Livelihood Support at level 2 (which, as previously noted, lets you craft a skill in-dungeon whose burst mode gives you a nicely beefy Spirit Wolf), and Elf at level 5. That means 1500 union points in all to reach level 5, so get crackin'. (After that, Druid from that union isn't bad, either, as it starts you with Thorn Armor and it's also fairly cheap to unlock.)

Now, Executioner is a dungeon reward. As you progress through the dungeons and successfully clear them, you will unlock a variety of new classes and races. I would like to tell you which one unlocks Executioner, but the Rewards panel for each dungeon only shows you what you haven't unlocked yet, so just go through them in order. The icon at the bottom right of the world map lists the dungeons in order; Highway - Caves - Spire - Nightmare - Temple - Slums are the first six in increasing order of difficulty.

norp posted:

Can you at least copy/paste that guid?

Now that I know that that's the secret...

62a16a4a-8651-4cf9-bdfe-96adbc6816e1

Then we can all whisper rude things at each other.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

cirus posted:

I copied this guid and it says no such syndicate

I don't know that I was expecting their password system to be straight out of a bad NES game AND buggy, but... NussyGames.

Try this one, which is the latest one that "Syndicate ID copied to your clipboard" produced:

a77e2898-9a37-47e1-8c2a-87b49a4f8252

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Tangentially, is there any benefit to higher leveled skills aside from more rune slots? I hardly use runes tbh, so I basically quit fishing for skills a few floors into the dungeon.

Also, is there anything after hell?

It goes Hell, Ruins, Forest, Pandemonium. Pandy is where you fight the Ancient King. Beyond that, there is Battlefield, but that has an imaginary UNDER CONSTRUCTION fence around it for now when you try to enter.

As far as runes go, there are many of them that I have never used. Almost all of the Auto: ones, for instance, I have left alone. I have seen suggestions that you can make a funky build with Auto:Free pairing a bunch of skills with your Backstep, but I've barely scratched their surface. Some that I do use include Critical (especially with the current-hotness Executioner builds, where crits lead to eating hp stacks), Power (more skill power is rarely bad), Quicker (making a skill Quick), Speed (reducing a skill's cooldown), Break (reduce enemy's Bravery on use) and Supply (more remaining uses).

Now, keep in mind that if you're playing as an Elf, they start with Genius (skills with no runes get double skill power), so think about what you're putting runes on and why.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Battlefield mode in BB2 is now open... and it's hilarious.

It's an all-PvP dungeon; you send in one of your corpses from the graveyard and every zone is a rose icon, where you battle someone else's character.

So it's an endless wave of Elf Executioners, spamming evasion and attacks along with you until someone gets a hit in.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
So a one-off dungeon popped up today for me, Pride. Deeper than Pandemonium, full of some frightening-rear end creatures, and my Executioner trudged his way to the end of it.

The boss uses Mirror Shape repeatedly, has about 25K hit points, is next to impossible to damage when mirroring you, and heals for 50K on a regular basis. Even though I lost, I got a new keystone out of it.

(Keystones start dropping once you've beaten the Ancient King. They extend a dungeon by a certain number of floors, while applying a penalty. So far I have +5 floors / -15% experience, +2 floors / no fleeing from combat, +4 floors / permanent Confusion as 1* keystones, and +9 floors / you can't gain shields as my first 2*.)

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Shwqa posted:

They also bypass cost and make the skill only cost 1. The auto runes are pretty busted. It is just that elf executioner is even more busted.

Worth noting that its normal parameters still apply if you use it directly, and if it is on cooldown when invoked, it will not override that. That can be useful for controlling certain skill procs.

For instance, right now I have Quick Shot, Throw Blades, Acrobatics and Evasion on my loadout, plus Ninjitsu with Auto:Dexterity on it (so it will proc any time a Dex-based skill procs). The first skill I use each turn also invokes Ninjitsu; the second one won't, since Ninjitsu is on cooldown.

Now, if I build up my Bravery and enter Burst mode, Ninjitsu switches to Summon Giant Toad. So I can fire a Quick Shot on my next turn and whammo, instant toad at a low cost. But that is not always desirable, so if I don't want a toad, what I can do is use Ninjitsu on a prior turn directly; that has a cooldown of 5. So then I enter Burst mode, Ninjitsu on cooldown becomes Toad on cooldown, and I can attack without summoning.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Finally beat the Pride dungeon boss. It was a hopeless cause with her healing in five or six figures every few turns, until I got a Spirit Wolf summon to stick long enough for her to Mirror Shape it instead of my base form.

The rewards included a keystone that gives a random skill -99 uses every time you change floors. Gonna say that one's not going to get much use.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Shwqa posted:

Whelp the fairy build is dead. The elf executioner build is nerf and enemies have higher critical resistance now.

Good. I mean, not that I wasn't having fun critting and evading my way through Disaster dungeons, but a balance patch was both necessary and inevitable. There are still synergies that are brutal out there, waiting to be discovered.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Shwqa posted:

I spoke too soon. Fairy can just switch their starting free skill with spell shield. Instead of 30% current shield gain, you get 25% and 10% shield amplifier (makes future shield gains better). It's still super easy to get the maximum shield integer, and the skills that scale off shield are low-level contracts.

I just rolled through Pandemonium with a Fairy Valkyrie Pacifist, using Spell Shield, Shockwave, Eldritch Tentacles, Punisher (had to switch that in late because I got four no-Camp levels in a row) and the MVP, Ancient Shield.

Ancient Shield's base form gives you an additional 100% of your current shield on use, or gives you 100% of your shield as Strength and Dexterity for one combat in its burst form. Granted, a Fairy can't use Strength, but...

Final Blow is indeed nerfed, though.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I'll tell you what I am getting annoyed with in BB2. It's the bug where when you're moving between rooms, it arbitrarily decides not to let you move in one direction or the other until you close and reopen the app.

EDIT: I tried Battlefield again. It has a bit more variety of opponents now, and I can actually make a little progress with a Fairy burn build. The trick is, there isn't any way in it to restore your skill count that I've found, so the "Level 1/8" at the top is a bit over-optimistic.

Also, the chyron at the bottom told me I'd earned 300 guild points, but it didn't actually award them.

EDIT^2: I figured that last part out. If you take a corpse from your graveyard into Battlefield, it doesn't matter what union you're in _now_; it awards any union point rewards based on the union that corpse was in at the time.

delfin fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 3, 2024

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
The Fairy parade rolls on. I've had success with Paladin, Valkyrie, Scavenger and Ancientmancer so far, and can see almost any class working at present because the Ancient Fire build is essentially stat-agnostic. Since my damage sources all scale off of Shield, Burn and Shield Amplification, I don't have to stress about keeping my main stats up. Several traits and skilled (Healthy Resistance, Defiant Resistance, Cornered Rat, etc.) play off of being at 0 HP stacks, which Fairy has by default, so once you get those rolling it's a very nice boost from those.

I put enough effort into one of the northernmost unions to unlock Contact, which lets me slap Auto:Free and Unopposed onto my Burn sources with minimal effort. Rune Slot Release 4* lets all of my skills have four slots on purchase, so I can stack stuff like Blink and Barrier and Chemistry on Spell Shield and fill in the others as needed. Ancient Fire x2, Burning Blade, Ancient Spark, Spell Shield is my low-effort loadout of the moment.

I also remain a big fan of Pacifism, if you're looking to grind out runs in difficult dungeons. With Elite monsters barred from the dungeon, you can take your time and grind out a great kit before you get stuck fighting anything that's at all challenging.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Hit a fun one in Battlefield today. The opponent had the cross-legged old seer avatar, and was simply an immovable force for my Fairy. It summoned up Dancing Swords at intervals, but otherwise just sat there and soaked up damage. Every time I knocked out the first of his two HP stacks, he restored it on his next turn, and continued on his merry path to enlightenment until I fell to exhaustion ages later.

There are lots of fun strategies like that waiting to be discovered.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Might've cracked part of the code of Battlefield just now -- a Fairy Scavenger with a shield build just scored 48000 before dying. Apparently, the 'levels' display is a misnomer and level 1 just scrolls endlessly.

The trick was to pack Ancient Shield with Quicker, Auto:Combat and Barrier, then to stack Spell Shield with Boosts and build the usual stuff like Conserve Skill Uses and Supply. With a good base shield, Ancient Shield on entry and then Ancient Shield again on turn 1, that was enough to protect against Executioners' zerg rush and then set up the burn machine. What got me was actually too much Bravery; I hit a situation where its burst mode activated instead.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

NPR Journalizard posted:

In BB2 is there a certain type of damage I should be trying to mitigate with the ancient king? I have tried to build as many different layers of defense as I can, but I am still getting oneshot on a frequent basis with hits of anywhere between 45k-90k.

This is playing a fairy shield build, but I cant get enough shield built quickly enough.

He's probably hitting you with Void, which has its own separate resistance counter that's hard to get. There is a Resist Void square on the grid that's always a priority when it shows up, but it's never a sure thing.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
BB2 talk has quieted down (the dev has COVID, so good luck to him), but I ran into a new way to die in Battlefield yesterday.

Far as I can tell, the person had Petrify in every slot with boosts of all types stacked on top. The battle started, I saw a blitz of Petrification spam hit me, and I immediately died of exhaustion.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Shwqa posted:

I believe keystones are randomly guaranteed. As for union, the quest reset weekly so you will get the flood of tickets soon enough

Yeah, keystones are generated whenever a dungeon is beyond a certain length (it's either 25 or 30, I think), they're random, and you never HAVE TO use one. I have maybe a dozen of them that I've never even considered using, because they're too punitive.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

install Magic Research op
the only mobile idle game I've seen that's not plagued with iap and p2w

I ponied up the $3.99 for this and it is fantastic for its genre. Steady progression, tons of unlockables, and while time spent is a factor, it doesn't feel punitive the way that pay-to-skip-timer games do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Kheldarn posted:

My wife just applied as Awesome Amy.

Just saw this and added her. I'm still dabbling in Royal Match, but hitting walls where I get one level after another where I need to build up to "coins == 35 extra moves" to stand a chance without insane drop pity.

I tried out Loop Hero on my phone and... it's really a tablet kind of game, I think. I feel like I need my reading glasses to work out what's going on on my Pixel screen. It hasn't grabbed me yet either way, but it's not unappealing.

Magic Research, I've reached the end of the tournament, and the final boss waxed me so badly that it'll be a while before I try again.