Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It's been out on tablets for awhile. The phone version is today. Pretty cool, but yeah it's going to tank battery life and it's not async multiplayer which makes it more annoying to do mobile. Good potential lunch or commute game though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Established companies that people have dug through a ton of poo poo or that are goon made in this case. NimbleBit makes a particular type of game that some people like, some people hate, and it's easy to figure out when they release a new one. Same with Kairosoft. Combine that with social media and random luck making people try certain things and it's not that hard to find good stuff, if it exists. You're pretty much out of luck if you want an actual good 4X or City Builder for example.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

They're for early turns and certain cards that can combo together for buffs.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Final Fantasy remakes and/or Dimensions as well.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I mean all of them are much better if you're used to the old school JRPG gameplay, but 4 doesn't stand out as unfriendly on the DS/Phone version. It was my first version I played of that one. 6 is a good starting point for the reasons given before. 5 is good because it lets you use the job system which is fun, but that's also why it's sort of a bad place to start.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I had that error for the better part of the week a few weeks ago, but they did wind up crediting me as far as I could tell from my history. So that error isn't normally any big deal either.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

If they don't provide a way to sync with your Google Account, or worse yet your Facebook, or some godawful custom recovery system... then you're going to need a file browser and possibly root to get the files from the apps directory.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Right yeah, that should also work. I found its auto backups (while rooted) to be extremely flakey, so I just gave up on it. Most of the games I care about have been updated to the new google sign in paradigm anyways.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

It's not as obtuse or as many layered but it's far more polished. There's 6(?) classes with 4 abilities each, and you really have to think about how to handle each mob as they're all slightly different. There's less just auto attacking without thinking and then oops out of depth monster/i should have been paying attention. You're pretty much always paying attention. There's less gear and you start over level wise each map, but you can unlock gear permanently which also effects your tactics.

It's just a really great focused experience with fantastic art.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

FadedReality posted:

There's BlueStacks which is a bit of a resource hog in my experience and has a lovely custom UI trying to hawk F2P games to you but is otherwise serviceable enough. I think I remember having to install a custom launcher so get Nova or Go to get around their lovely one.

Also Summoners War recently changed their policy to being willing to ban for using bluestacks or other emulators, so use at your own risk.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Works just fine on cellular. There was a weird issue with Com2Us and T-mobile close to when it came out but that's fixed now (is why I quit then primarily). There's a thread for the game: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3707948

It's data usage is pretty drat low, like under 100MB for a months usage for me (half WiFi half not).

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

August.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

August 13th.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Is anyone else playing Astronest?

Yeah I tried it but I thought it was more like a 4x game when I quick looked at the page. Once I saw it was a Pocket Knights etc clone I was far less interested but I gave it a shot but it just doesn't do anything new or interesting to make me want to bother over Summoners War.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Speaking of Heroes Charge, Dungeon Boss just seems like a more refined version of it. So it's fun so far. Turn based instead of real time combat. So your heroes have abilities with cooldowns. There's no star ratings in dungeons and you can auto (attack only) from the end of the tutorial. It's actually pretty decent, but as usual who knows how long it holds up.

Haven't gotten to the create your own dungeon part quite yet but looks like you can do that off the initial energy pretty easily. I also burned 300 of the free gems on a summon for the hell of it and to finish the daily quest for using gems. Got a 3* light healer monk hero who does great damage for me. I've got him set if anyone wants to add me as a friend (DemonMage shockingly). Doesn't seem there's a guild system?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Couple other small things about Dungeon Boss:
  • Keep an eye out for things that are sparkling in the background and click them. They give you bits of gold or energy or whatever. I had a daily for this the other day and just was completely ignoring the background.
  • Tanks are super useful and you sadly don't start with one, but you do unlock one at Chapter 3(?). Stone Fist gets a Taunt from his first Ascension that forces single target abilities to attack him and buffs his defense up. He can sustain a lot of damage this way and protect your healer/dps. It also is only down for 1 turn.
  • There's no elite stages, when you get a hero piece to drop it puts a checkmark on the piece from that stage and you can't get it again until the next day unless you spend gems. Unlike Heroes Charge you don't have 3 attempt limit and resetting the drop rate will always let piece drop again. Not saying it's worth resetting early on, but it's a far more friendly system than Heroes Charge.
  • Your heroes actually graphically change as you rank them up, instead of just having their border change. You get new abilities and minor graphic changes.
  • Your friend summons come in and use one of their good abilities. It's free once a day per friend and gives your friend some Honor. You can do it once per battle for free, you can spend gems to summon another friend and to use the same friend twice. They don't fully join your team like in other games.

All in all it's a pretty fun game, and there's no hugely compelling reason to log on at X hour or repeatedly if you don't want to. Obviously sitting at capped energy is bad, but you're not missing out on hourly timed events or anything as far as I can tell. The events boost drop rates and such for specific zones/items all day long. It feels all around like a friendlier, more polished, and less obtuse version of Heroes Charge and also has more gameplay than Pocket Knights.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 17, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Shwqa posted:

Tsume is the uber hero of the game. He can be gotten on some early chapter mission. He deals extra damage the more he is hurt. In the range of 1.5x to 3.5x damage. And he already has a high base Attack and start with an AOE ability. It is very often for tsume to completely 1 hit ko the enemy team during PVP.

Do you get extra tokens for refreshing? I got 1x, refreshed 3x, refreshed 3x. Took more than one run, but still was pretty cheap/fast to get his basic version.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Plus if you only need one team of heroes in these games it gets boring fast. You don't need to blow tons of gems to build up teams for various situations, and the game is fairly generous with gems at least at the start. By the time it starts being stingier, you should have enough people to make multiple teams for whatever you need/want. And then it comes down to the gold to skill them up, and the materials to Ascend/Star them up.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah Tsume and Chief Nubnub are both really really solid picks for early things to get. I'm rather liking Ella Ametryst too, especially when the enemy team in arenas has a Tsume. Have Tsume hit everyone, charm their Tsume and he's low on life so he does tons of damage to his own team.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Is that even a problem still? Final Fantasy 5 works on my Nexus 6 and 6.0 just came out today. Last update was start of August.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

At 35 I use Lady Nim, Tsume, the green archer lady and the dark ninja guy. I use the blue sumo wrestler in place of the ninja for defense in arena.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

His first skill hits the enemy team with Daze giving them a like 40% miss chance. He can still be alphaed by two Fast characters potentially but he's pretty potent.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Settings -> bottom is About Phone which has it and on Nexus (Marshmallow?) devices it tells you which month your security patch is from too.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Violet_Sky posted:

Mine's Jellybean. It's a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. I got mine in 2013. It can't be that old, can it?

2-3 years is generally the upgrade cycle right now. So it's definitely on the older side and it's by Samsung who historically isn't great about device updates.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Is the first summon in Rune Story random or is it always 4* Corn guy?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

wall monitor posted:

Speaking of Kairosoft, how are their recent games? I haven't been keeping up.

They haven't released any. Their last release was 5-6 months ago with the Ramen shop one.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Because that's the name of the developer?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Aww, I was hoping it was more like Summoners War, the turn based combat of that is more fun than Heroes Charge and it's clones.

[Edit] Wait New Leaf says it's turn based. That makes a big difference in how it feels to play actually. Though being a newer game I imagine it won't have nearly the level of content Summoners War does, but hey it's Star Wars, so that's something, right?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

O__O posted:

Seems like it's the exact same game as Heroes Charge https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ucool.hero&hl=en

Okay you were right =-( It is turn based, and that part is cool but it's otherwise the same. You don't even get to make interesting gear choices. It's the same fill the slots with these specific items from these specific places to upgrade your tier system. And even has the hero pieces + summons, and the summons that can given you junk instead of characters (or just pieces instead). Ah well. I might play it occasionally but it's just real bad compared to Summoners War. Shame.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Zotix posted:

I'm surprised more people aren't playing Seven Knights. For a freeium game they give the currency out for everything, and lots of people are playing and competing as free to play.

I played a little bit of it, seems more interesting than most. Gearing looks like it might have some actual options in it? Not entirely clear on if you can Star up heroes or whatever. Is getting your main guys to 6* a goal like Summoners War or do you replace them more like Pocket Knights? Not crazy about the faux real time thing but it's not a huge deal either.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Without letting it read your contacts it wouldn't be able to sign into Google Play Games. And if it doesn't support that you shouldn't be playing it anyways.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Both Seven Knights and Summoners War need it for inviting your friends. Those are the only multiplayer games I have. Which the card game does the same thing as far as I know. It's pretty standard for socially enabled apps. Would I prefer if my multiplayer games tried to be less social and stuck to in game invites? Sure, but that's not going to happen. And ideally they should continue to function even if the permission is denied which is a good middle ground, but that's not enforced just a best practice. But I imagine they get a lot of users from the dumb social referrals so they're deincentivized from fixing it too.

[Edit] Which yeah isn't required for Circles access for Games like I thought it was, but it's not a strange or scary app permission, just an irritating one.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 29, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

So in Seven Knights is there a way to get Elements reliably besides the Daily Dungeon? As that definitely sucks if not. I forgot that level 30+5 x2 is a random unit one star level higher, not the same, but I lucked out and got the Velika with dual AE attacks. So I've got her and Dark Yuri for 4* mages now which is nice. Also is there a goon guild or thread yet?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Is there any good way to farm 1/2* fodder in Seven Knights, or just spending Honor and random luck while farming stages?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Ugh, weekend farming =-( I'll try and fit some in I guess, still working on finishing the guide quest and don't want to waste 3* that I could be Fusing up instead on Power Up.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

So for Seven Knights, which formation should you be maxing first? I've been primarily using Offense, but I saw a lot of Castle Raid and farming strategies talking about using Defense, so I've got both around level 15-18 right now.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

It says it's available for me in the US. So maybe try checking again!

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

It's a good game, but to be fair, it takes very little to be worth $5.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I added you, I'll send you a 5* once you add me back.
Seven Knights is okay, but there's more to do overall in Summoners War, and it's just less shallow overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

That looks amazing. And everyone should be a Rick and Morty fan.

And it comes out on Thursday the 14th and will be free.