Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Other thread titles we could have used but didn't: "There Will Be Blood", "Just Call it Blood Souls, Dammit!" [by Highwang]. Let's just keep the jokes running.

Latest Update

---The Game---
FROM Software's 2015 ballbusting smash hit, released exclusively for the PS4 as a spiritual successor to Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. The game features glorious and gorious visual and sound design, a Victorian Gothic Horror aesthetic dripping with the guts of Lovecraft, and a swift and engaging combat system that requires you to be aggressive and on your toes. Fans of the Souls games, of which this is invariably counted, will find much to like and much to be surprised by with Bloodborne.

The Story is Such:
Icabod Bananoh? is a hunter, a swashbuckling adventurer out looking for giant, horrific beasts to kill. He's found himself in Yharnam, a massive, Victorian Gothic city that is succumbing to a plague that's turning its inhabitants into mindless, violent beasts. With his trusty cane whip and blunderbuss at his side, Icabod must brave the terrifying city, collect monster blood for ca$h, stab himself in the leg with more blood, and ultimately find a cure for this bloody nightmare.

---The LP---
All of our LPs up this point have been post-commentated, but Travis and I do plenty of live streams on the side. As such, we've decided to take what we've learned and do a live-commentated LP for once. Travis (BigTUnit1) is taking the reigns while I work the snarky co-commentator spot, and I am also doing my own run of the game to show different things from Travis's run. Additional commentators are welcome.
As much of the game will be shown off as possible; deaths, backtracking and loading screens will be edited out as needed; and the commentary will be kept up to the same level of entertaining-but-informative as our post-commentated LPs.

:siren: SPOILER POLICY :siren:
If you want to talk about something coming up very soon from where the LP currently is, tag it. If it's a ways away, don't post it or cheekily hint at it. If you're not sure if it's coming up soon or not, don't post it to be safe.

---Additional Links---

Our off-site streams of Dark Souls - Of varying levels of video and audio quality. The LP might reference back to these streams.

slowbeef's simultaneous Bloodborne LP with Diabetus - Another fun LP worth watching. More of a blind run than ours.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Creator-Made Abominations

Icabod Banano? - Travis and Thorn

Pac-Man - Travis, as voted by his Twitch chat. Alternately, Shaved Donkey Kong

Waluigi - Ometeotl

Thud Dishsoap - Thorn, as named by his Hitbox chat

More to come!

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 12, 2015

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Yeah, that weird eyeglitch thing affected me when I made my character, as well. Though, Waluigi certainly does not have tiny eyes, so who knows what causes it.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Nothing wrong with a little friendly competition! By the way, I'm paying Geop $30 to ban anyone who posts in here.

No, wait-

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

slowbeef posted:

Nothing wrong with a little friendly competition! By the way, I'm paying Geop $30 to ban anyone who posts in here.

No, wait-

You knew it would come to this once a Souls game was released.

Good luck to the both of ya.

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

God bless From Software for seeing the inhuman abominations you could make in the character creator in Dark Souls with the random mutation button - that didn't end up in the final character - and said "let's support that." So many developers would try to limit things because of a pretentious attitude that "we make serious games and if you're not taking this seriously then you shouldn't play our game." Assassin's Creed giving you a game over if you kill civilians or domesticated animals is a prime example of that lovely attitude. And so many character creators have one slider affect multiple changes to keep stuff in balance and minimise absurdity. But From has progressively made taking the piss out of their games easier and easier, without sacrificing their atmosphere if you play them straight.

Riobs
Oct 30, 2011

Wow now that's an impressive abomination you've made yourselves, hopefully the enemies will be too busy recoiling in horror to actually put up a fight.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

So what happened to the Wind Waker LP? Is that just on hiatus because you guys are doing so many LP threads now or did you guys just give up because of that and also there are two other threads for that game?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Let me know when you get to invasions (I don't think I'm there yet) and we can schedule a thread-crossover event.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

slowbeef posted:

Let me know when you get to invasions (I don't think I'm there yet) and we can schedule a thread-crossover event.

Only in a Souls/Blood game you can physically stop the other person from completing a Let's Play.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
25 minutes of character creator does not leave me hopeful about the editing from here on out

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Since Part 1 was mostly character creation, here's Part 2 early, wherein we explore the first part of Central Yharnam.

Thunderfinger posted:

So what happened to the Wind Waker LP? Is that just on hiatus because you guys are doing so many LP threads now or did you guys just give up because of that and also there are two other threads for that game?

Yoshi wanted to finish Punch-Out before getting back to it. Since it's finished, he's recording more WW footage now, so that's on it's way again. Also we have so many threads because there's multiple people on our team doing multiple LPs, and I'm now making enough from my patreon to be able to manage it all full-time.
Besides, why would we stop WW just because there's multiple threads for it, since Yoshi's is easily the best? :colbert: I've only watched like two parts each of the other two because I want to stay focused on ours, for those unaware of text sarcasm.

slowbeef posted:

If we can manage it, sure. From what Travis has told me of the online functionality in this one, it's a bit convoluted. But that's for co-op, so we'll see.

Crane Fist posted:

25 minutes of character creator does not leave me hopeful about the editing from here on out

I don't leave in long sections like that unless I think it's worth keeping for humour's or discussion's sake.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Well, this game has been kicking my rear end left and right so far. Should be fun to see how Travis does.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Icabod takes a dip in the Yharnam sewers and feels right at home with his fellow misshapen horrors.

Next two parts, Travis takes on the first two bosses.
I also got the game myself and have caught up to where Travis is as of Part 5. Might do my own run of the game for the thread (probably via streams), but I'm gonna wait until that load screen patch is implemented first. It's as bad as everyone says.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

sigh, now I have to get a ps4.

this game seems a bit more forgiving when it comes to health than dark souls was. A lot of enemies seem to drop blood vials so even with the limit on how many you can hold you can replenish your stock pretty easily.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

gatesealer posted:

sigh, now I have to get a ps4.

this game seems a bit more forgiving when it comes to health than dark souls was. A lot of enemies seem to drop blood vials so even with the limit on how many you can hold you can replenish your stock pretty easily.

While Souls games are amazing they're not worth buying a console for. One game is never worth buying a console for.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I don't think it's strange that the girl could tell you're a hunter from the smell, I mean have you seen the state your character's in most of the time?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Zain posted:

While Souls games are amazing they're not worth buying a console for. One game is never worth buying a console for.

That said if there were already PS4 things you were wanting to play or be ready for, this is a good tipping point.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Feinne posted:

That said if there were already PS4 things you were wanting to play or be ready for, this is a good tipping point.

Agreed, though I noticed Sony was happy going with the XBox Live model of requiring paid online (PS Plus is required to go online for this and apparently all PS4 online games). Bullshit. Buy it for games you know you'll want regardless of online functionality.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

ThornBrain posted:

Agreed, though I noticed Sony was happy going with the XBox Live model of requiring paid online (PS Plus is required to go online for this and apparently all PS4 online games). Bullshit. Buy it for games you know you'll want regardless of online functionality.

As a consolation, you do get a number of games free each month via the PS+ service, whether or not you'll like the selection is another matter however.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I really want a gif of his eyes just freaking out at like 22:30+ in the first video :v:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Travis is streaming Bloodborne with viewers deciding things for him, so join in if you want him to do more ridiculousness.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Are you sure it's on Twitch? It seems to be offline at the moment.

Thunderfinger fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 17, 2015

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Brief technical difficulties, but he's got it going now. Adventures in Yharnam with Pac-Man.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Travis takes on the Cleric Beast in basically the completely wrong way. But how does he ultimately do?

Also I'll be using the second OP to post our various creator-made abominations, including Icabod and Pac-Man. More to invariably come. Post your own and we'll add it if it's suitably horrifying!

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 17, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I could've sworn Travis had at least three molotovs on him. I guess he's out because boy would it be odd to be tightfisted with those during a boss fight.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
No offense but I think if you'd just swung at the guy instead of doing a whole lot of nothing while trying to only attack his weak point you would have killed him in like a quarter of the time it actually took you

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

AnonSpore posted:

No offense but I think if you'd just swung at the guy instead of doing a whole lot of nothing while trying to only attack his weak point you would have killed him in like a quarter of the time it actually took you

ThornBrain posted:

Travis takes on the Cleric Beast in basically the completely wrong way.

Well done, we're all caught up.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 17, 2015

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

ThornBrain posted:

Also I'll be using the second OP to post our various creator-made abominations, including Icabod and Pac-Man. More to invariably come. Post your own and we'll add it if it's suitably horrifying!

Waaaaaa

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hanging back and playing defensively is actually the quickest way to die in this game, it took me the longest time to figure that out.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Speedball posted:

Hanging back and playing defensively is actually the quickest way to die in this game, it took me the longest time to figure that out.

There are some later bosses that will pretty much slaughter you if you get too far from them yeah.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Speedball posted:

You gotta get in there, Makunouchi!

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Regarding the werewolves on the bridge, it's true that most of the time they can't get through the door. There is the rare occasion when the collision detection freaks out in just the right way to allow them to lunge through it though. Happened to me once, and the results were similar to chunky salsa.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ooh, I've got a request! Since we're still pretty early on in the game, could you roll up a new character and run through and show if anything weird happens if you bust a Madman's knowledge in the Hunter's Dream?

I wonder if the doll says anything weird or creepy if you're actually in there while she's coming to life.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

RareAcumen posted:

Ooh, I've got a request! Since we're still pretty early on in the game, could you roll up a new character and run through and show if anything weird happens if you bust a Madman's knowledge in the Hunter's Dream?

I wonder if the doll says anything weird or creepy if you're actually in there while she's coming to life.

Sorry, but the doll doesn't come to life if you do it in the dream. You need to reload the area first.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

Sorry, but the doll doesn't come to life if you do it in the dream. You need to reload the area first.

I'm honestly shocked that's not a little easter egg.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm honestly shocked that's not a little easter egg.

It's honestly a standard conceit with FROM games. They don't like updating areas actively, so NPCs never move unless the player's pissed them off and they're attacking. NPCs only change locations when the area is loaded after an event trigger which happens every time a character rests at a bonfire (or in this case, a lantern).

It makes programming the game/NPCs easier and prevents them having to explain why character X can walk through an area of heavily armored zombies and demons that attack anything that moves.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

That said there are some fun doll easter eggs. Try doing gestures at her.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
I will be doing my own run showing off things Travis missed or what-have-you, at the very least. I'm waiting for the maintenance on the 23rd, which I expect will be the load-fixing patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

I made this for slowbeef's thread but for all you bloodborne fans:

• Locked thread