Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
Didn't this suffer from some really bad/lazy translations in some parts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
I guess I better dust off my PS3 and make time for this game because I don't think I can just sit back and follow the LP of one of my favorite series.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
The shoulders remind me of the linkage armor from AT1 and AT3.

Hope they cover just what Delta did to piss off the authority soon.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
They're either competent but shady or incompetent.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
Another vote for option B.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
Cooking, cooking never changes.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
Oh man, AT trivia. Why do I do this to myself.

Feinne posted:

Mute Tier (1 Point):
Bourd Rade was employed by this corporation.

Misha Tier (3 Points):
EXEC_EP=NOVA/. is an abbreviation for what?

Mir Tier (5 Points):
Was yea ra chs hymmnos mea, en chs fwal fwal yor.

1. Tenba
2. Enhanced Power Nova
3. Haha hymmnos is my bane. Something along the lines of "I'll happily turn into a song to become your wings." My best guess for where it's used is the same as InfinityComplex's. "it's probably a phrase used by Lyner when he was at a tower door inputting a password that was in hymnnos."

Hymmnos is one of my favorite parts of the series but it's still impenetrable to me.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

But I do like the idea that they're only letting Delta stay out of jail because they are secretly having people watch him. The "tracking" song magic is also a clever trick, pretty subtle, and it doesn't hurt anyone who is a true believer.

Why is Cass's hair blonde-pink in some contexts and silver-white in others?

It makes sense. It's been six months and he's done absolutely nothing to indicate he's a spy or something. Either he's not a spy and opened the barrier for some reason even he doesn't know, or he's just waiting for a good opportunity. Since he's no longer part of PLASMA, he doesn't really have the opportunity to start anything big. Assigning him this job gives him plenty of opportunities to reveal his true colors.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
It is rather refreshing that they're already good pals rather than starting from scratch.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
They grow up so fast nowadays.

Without pants.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
I guess now we know why Pram's not in this game (unless he shows up later).

He has pants.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
Looks like Sarly may be a bit jealous of Delta and Casty. Since the main cast knows each other pretty well from before they lost their homeworld, I wonder if she lost someone important back then.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Icedude posted:

In other news, GUST apparently did some sort of Surge Concerto broadcast and confirmed they're working on a new game in the series :toot:

:toot:

Went ahead and read the Ciel Nosurge summary so I'm hyped for more Surge Concerto stuff.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
It's worthwhile to see how someone less adjusted to :japan: would react to what happens in these games.

So I appreciate Stabbey's posts despite how repetitious they can sometimes get.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
So, since Prim went and hid, I'm guess there's going to be some Metal Gear Prim to free them? Then again, it'll most likely just jump straight to her springing them after they chat in jail rather than a gameplay segment.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
It doesn't help that the villain who uses/believes in it are often huge bastards too.

Omobono posted:

Magic singers tend to be the most fragile glass cannons in the Tonelico games. If nothing else, a competent meatshield is something they'll always need.
Unless they're Cocona, and even then I'm still pissed at Qoga we didn't get switchable vanguard/Reyvateil Cocona.

Well, the singers in the Surge Concerto-verse don't seem nearly as vulnerable, though having it as their combat focus does leave them in a similar position.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

So, fun fact! This was dummied out of the English version of this game, but in the Japanese version, there is a feature called "World Link".

Aside from unlocking a bonus boss and being able to transfer some items, a few things here and there throughout the game change if you World Link with a copy of Ciel noSurge, because, as has been correctly guessed:

Do note that if you don't World Link, so for all English playthroughs of the game, Earthes is actually canonically not the Ciel noSurge player. It's kinda weird that way.

It's kinda hard to tell which lines are actually changed, and it's a bit confusing to read because player choices (which includes all of Earthes' dialogue, as Feinne noted!) are not actually stored together with the rest of the cutscene text, but have a glimpse of that first Ion scene we just saw from the game script.

That's rather unfortunate but understandable.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Polsy posted:

It's the very first link on the summary page. But yeah, calling the full thing a 'summary' is pretty generous.

It stops just short of the actual script, yeah.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
Wait.

Didn't Nelo say that Ion's just a normal human right now? I'm guessing the game means that because she just left the contraption, she's still weakened or something, rather than being permanently incapable of using song magic since she, you know, had the battle and all.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Clarste posted:

I can't actually remember how this works, but the impression that I got from the line just now is that unlike Cass, she's not an artificial incarnate so she can't create song magic on her own. If she can sing, it has to be due to some wonkiness with Earthes.

Yeah, totally forgot about that. I mean, technically there's still someone else that would allow her to use song magic though I imagine the end of Ciel may have cut that off.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
I like how the game calls you out for brute-forcing that third test.

I'm curious if Nelico's just going to be appearing on Ion's dives in a role similar to Prime or if she's doing something nefarious. She admitted defeat during the escape since there was nothing she could do, so why bother?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
Definitely Chronicle Key.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
Choralmancers

So, Kanon knows Ion was sleeping and where she was. That doesn't really bode well does it? She's basically been using Ion to make more and more Sharl for her to attack Felion.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
She's also really full of conviction and considering what happened in Ciel Nosurge, it's not too surprising.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
Mute Tier (1 Point):

This airship engineer traveled across the world of Ar Ciel in search of her lost boyfriend.

Krusche Elendia

Misha Tier (3 Points):

This forgotten Will of Ar Ciel represents song.

Suzunomia

Mir Tier (5 Points):

What song does this segment of Hymmnos come from? Who sings it and what was its purpose?

Fou ki ra hyear presia reen
Was zweie ra na stel yorra zueig manaf
Ma zweie ra irs mana chyet oz omnis

EXEC_COSMOFLIPS, sung by Tyria. It was part of the Planet Regeneration Project and is used to absorb Ar Ru into Tyria and communicate with Ar Ciel.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
RIP Delta

He'll never reluctantly sing and dance for another crafting sequence again.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
Do they explain Ion's lack of trust in the player has Ciel Nosurge save data? I mean, I guess the current explanation still covers it. It's one thing to help her piece together her memories and stuff but all that was to get her back so she can try and save the world. Still kind of a dick punch to someone who played the first game if it doesn't try to explain further.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
Well poo poo, Prim's working with them? That can't be good.

And Nelo had some sort of connection with Delta, which sounds like it might be what caused Delta to do the thing.

Edit: decided to watch the battle video and Ion's remarks are great.

Argas fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 4, 2015

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
I was hoping for Ciel Nosurge Offline too but I guess that'd involve translating a new game instead of just editing the current translation (assuming they'd do such a thing).

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

HR12345 posted:

I just realized this, but what's to keep Tecmo-Koei and/or Gust from putting the AT series onto Steam? Okay, granted, Qoga is the only game that requires you to use the Sixaxis motion bit, but still.

Ports aren't exactly the cheapest thing. Even though more and more Japanese companies are realizing how lucrative the overseas PC market can be, it's still very much the exception for there to be PC ports of their games.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
I'm excited to see what comes next, as well as seeing how these dives end.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
The Sharl must have some lousy security if our heroes and PLASMA snuck in this easily. Then again, they are kind of ditzy and dumb, and are probably focusing only on Felion.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
Well, Prim's betrayal makes sense, especially given how Zill and Nelo have been spinning things. It's easy to sway someone who's basically just a kid eager to do the right thing.

Everyone's lack of information and their desperation is basically costing them now.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Kurieg posted:

Also these aren't 'real' sharl, right? Most of them died when the old planet got turned into a black hole. Though I thought a few independent sharl did make it onto the ship, like Ion's pet sharl dragon.

Those were Genom. Sharl are essentially artificial Genom.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
It's kind of obvious but looking back, Ar Tonelico and the Surge Concerto games really like their headgear/accessories.

It's kind of a theme in Ar Tonelico that communicating, working together, and compromising is Good. I don't expect Ar Nosurge will be all that different considering Ciel Nosurge, so keep that in mind.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
They're responding in a believable fashion. Felion's been at war with the Sharl as far as anyone can remember. They prey upon those outside the barrier but it's clear they won't be stop at that. Now they're launching an all-out assault and for once, PLASMA has a chance to strike at the leader of the Sharls. The Genomirai Church collaborate with the Sharl but as far as anyone knows, the Sharl take orders from someone else, so merely beating the Church isn't enough. They've got to take things down at the source so that the people of Felion can know peace.

We just happen to be able to see things from a different perspective as well. The Sharl aren't evil but it makes no difference to people who are forced to endure the raids and kidnappings. Now there's a crisis so most people aren't going to take a diplomatic approach. On the other end, Kanon's clearly driven by stubborness and her conviction that she's doing the right thing even though she knows what she's doing is Not Nice. I imagine we'll get to her story before long.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
Ion's got a goal in mind but no real idea of how to put the pieces all together. It's like playing Tetris with the goal of filling the screen up completely, which is completely at odds with how the game actually works. She's already found Kanon, Delta, and Cass but no one's listening to her and she's not sure how to get them to stop fighting.

Delta doesn't really have anything other than his attachment to his friends and his forgotten past, so it's easy for him to just follow Cass around or whatever orders he has for the moment.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Feinne posted:

Nor will they, because this game was apparently written before that part of Ciel Nosurge was by totally different people who weren't ever consulting each other on anything. I think it's best to assume that memory was just in error and things didn't go that way.

They don't explain it but the popular consensus is that Zill extracted her soul from the mass of enerrgy from Ra Ciela's destruction and placed her in a new body the same way the genom souls are being extracted and placed in sharl. Bits in Ciel show this sort of thing to be possible.

It is a giant "wait what?" that's never really explained though.

Argas fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 13, 2015

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
It's funny/weird to imagine how that battle actually played out, as both sides frantically dug through their shared inventories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
Well, consider what happened in Ciel. Humans aren't all bad but he's just had it with them.

• Locked thread