Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Feinne posted:

You will not be disappointed, the new performances for this are very solid. Akiko Shikata actually did a whole new language for Ra Ciela and you also get some really interesting effect from the fact that Origa's two are actually in Ra Cielan and Russian.

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Feinne posted:

Ar Tonelico Trivia Challenge!

Was yea ra chs hymmnos mea, en chs fwal fwal yor.
What does this mean?

Translation: I turn myself into song, to become your strength.
Literal: Happy very much I want this to continue become song myself, for become wing wing you.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 13, 2015

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

AfroSquirrel posted:

And then there's ancient Al Ciel, and that Welshish Hymmnos that IPD's sing...

It's closer to Cockney rhyming slang than Welsh because the slang at least still uses words that can be identified as English. That said, compare the two:

Standard:
    Was yea ra chs hymmnos mea.
Pastalie:
    cEzE hymmnos/.

Kurieg posted:

I love it when they go with the songs that are just super super computery, hilariously enough, chmod b111000000n has very little to do with computers at all, it's basically just "Hey you know what it would be great if you'd just die right about now"

The title of chmod b111000000n is actually a UNIX reference. chmod is a UNIX command for Change Mode, and is used to modify user access control to a file. "b" is an option I'm not familiar with, but the numbers in the title are actually a set of three binary octals that are expressed as 700. The first digit is the access control for the file owner, the second digit is the access control for other members of the user's group, and the final digit is the access control for all other users. There's seven eight levels of access, with 7 being read/write/execute privileges and 0 being no access. The 'n' at the end is missing its slash or a dash and ought be spaced from the octals but it's a control character that means "newline" and can be used to 'press' ENTER, effectively executing the line before it. The song's title is more properly rendered as "Change Mode Seven Zero Zero Execute".

To contextualize the above to the situation in Qoga, Harvy Vista is trying to force her access control (Over the tower? I don't remember what exactly was going on in that scene.) to full while denying access to other members of the admin group and users who are not members of the admin group.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 13, 2015

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Kurieg posted:

I was more saying that while "chmod b111000000n" is a valid command by itself, the actual song itself doesn't have things like EXEC_Z or HYMMLI do where they start lyrically belting out memory addresses or command line prompts.

Yeah, it's a bit odd that the song with the most computer-related name is one that has no computer lyrics. I just remember seeing the song's name and wondering if the tower runs on a UNIX distribution. (Someone please make a Hymmnos command line that is controlled by singing at your computer.)

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 13, 2015

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
That was certainly an update where the closed captioning would have been [Kimigayo plays quietly, swelling into a deafening roar].

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Prim's outfit really is just awful. The whole "family" just looks hilarious next to each other, it's like Cass and Delta stole random bits of Prim's clothes.

Prim and Nay being in the same room is like some sort of "anime as gently caress costuming" singularity.

e: That or the two of them are secretly MMO characters.

e2: I'm amazed no-one's commented on Prim being a literal brain-child.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 17, 2015

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Why is no one wearing pants whyyyyy.

Pants block U-Waves, and are suboptimal for some song magic focused builds. Why do you think Mir is so strong?

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

Here's the song for mechanical item synthesis, with Sarly. I really like how unhappy Delta looks in all of those, he clearly does not want to be there. It's also amazing how much youtube butchers video encoding unless you upload 600 megabytes for 18 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql9GKVoH1r4

Ha, you weren't kidding. Also I didn't really realize how tiny Sarly is.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Been brought up a few times that she is pretty short.

Yeah, but I figured that she was just a head shorter than Delta like Cass, not "literally the size of a ten year old child".

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

What's the deal here with Ciel Nosurge spoilers anyway? I'm not really sure what or what doesn't need to be tagged or what shouldn't be said at all.

A text dump of Ciel Nosurge's actual story chronicles thing was posted in the OP, so I guess the rule is go buck wild?

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Inconvenient and important as it may be, it certainly explains what the hell is up with her outfit.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Feinne posted:

Here's some more trivia for you guys, and reminder we should have an update tomorrow.

Mute Tier (1 Point):

This song was used to confront an infinitely-regenerating Guardian in Ar Tonelico 2.
exec_despertia
This airship engineer traveled across the world of Ar Ciel in search of her lost boyfriend.
Krusche
Ar Tonelico 2’s Croix used this sort of weapon.
gun-lance-rocket-thing
One of these floating land masses around the tower of Ar Tonelico was destroyed by Mir before she was originally imprisoned.
Wings of Horus
Misha Tier (3 Points):

Aurica created this unexpectedly successful food product, which was one of the strongest healing items in Ar Tonelico.
BBQ Soda
A terrible ‘disease’ ravaged the land surrounding the Tower of Frelia known as IPD. What did that mean?
Infel Pira Dependant
This forgotten Will of Ar Ciel represents song.
Suzunomyia
Mir Tier (5 Points):

What song does this segment of Hymmnos come from? Who sings it and what was its purpose?

Fou ki ra hyear presia reen
Was zweie ra na stel yorra zueig manaf
Ma zweie ra irs mana chyet oz omnis

EXEC_COSMOFLIPS, sung by Finnel for Ar Ru(?), it got sung for the purpose of getting antibodies to stop trying to murder folks.(?)

Hymnochat: The song in this quiz, much like basically all of AT's music, is pretty darn good.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

It's great, but uh...

Wow, Earthes is big in this picture, and he's kneeling.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

quote:

Radium hot springs

Holy poo poo they're real.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Feinne posted:

Yeah… Wonder what’s going on.
Sharl: Okay, all done. You’re in group B. Please follow the Sharl to your right.
Man: Ugh… I understand.
Sharl: Okay, you’re in group A. Please proceed.
Older Woman: Really? Oh, thank you great Sharl…
Sharl: I have done nothing, this is the gift of “yal fii-ne noh-iar”.
Please proceed to our green paradise.

Wow. I knew what's-her-hat and Nelo were kind of huge jerks, but this is some full on Hitler.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

Oh good, I wasn't the only one to notice that.

Also, I swear I've seen that...floating backpack thingie Cosal has before in mythology somewhere (Hindu, I want to say?).

The circles on the edge of the disk kind of remind me of Raijin's drum-chain.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

booksnake posted:

Why are they dancing around the Prime Minister's identity? Dick move if they're going to drop that he and Ion met before.

He's Delta's stern but loving father who has been trying to groom his son to take up his position in the paramilitary group he has a leadership role in after he retires. If this is actually true, I am so sorry.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 31, 2015

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Mute Tier:
He was the leader of the Grand Bell.
That guy with the lolipop gun.

Reyvateil Origins wear this elaborate piece of clothing.
Linkage

This sort of monster patrolled the Grathnode Inferia between Platina and the lower portions of Ar Tonelico.
Some sort of dragon

This character sang EXEC_Z.
Reisha

Mir was sealed in this part of Ar Tonelico.
Altar of Apostles

Misha Tier:

Aurica was from this village. What happened to it, by the way?
Skuwaat Village, it got burnt to the ground by one Bourne Raide

Shurelia likes these animals.
Rude! Maid-Bots are not animals!

Akane had a cute little companion in Ar Tonelico Qoga. What was its name, and what sort of thing was it?
I don't remember its name but it was an antibody and strongly reminded me of Mieu from Tales of the Abyss for some reason.

Mir Tier:

Once again, here is a section of hymmnos. What song is it from? And what album was it actually on? Fair warning, this one is pretty rough. And remember, ________ means a reference to the song's name is being made.
Was yea ra melanas/melenas nyanyas nyanyas/ Pe! Pe! _______!

Cloche's penguin red magic from the Blue Hymnnos collection

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Clarste posted:

That makes no sense. Infinite energy from another dimension is clearly "more power". We don't know exactly why Zill did it, but a more reasonable guess is that she's trying to kill everyone for whatever reason.

Compare a gas lamp to a firework. The lamp puts out steady, regular power at a lower level for an extended period of time. The firework is way brighter and puts out more energy in a single moment.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

In most games, the answer is obvious: they're things the character you're inhabiting might say in their current situation. But if I'm supposed to believe that there is no player character, and the player is the player is the player, and it's turtles none of the way down, shouldn't the player be able to say whatever they want as Earthes, or when they're possessing Delta? That's clearly impractical with our current technology, so in that case, surely it's better to make the player a silent protagonist.

Programming "enough" options and reactions to those options would be extremely time-consuming and use too many resources for a trivial feature.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
"... just like one of my Japanese Animes!"

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

If you go "deep" into AT canon, there is so much wrong with this part of the game that it comes off as an incredibly lazy/sleazy attempt at geeking out the longtime fans, but they clearly didnt pay too much attention to their own worldbuilding from the past games.

username/post combo

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

Have you played the game yourself before or do you just know it from the LP so far?

I think the notion of a "canon" for the Ar-series, which revolves around entering metaphorical representations of magical song-singing router girls' psyches and helping them their mental issues and features multiple mutually-exclusive endings for each game, is farcical because world-building and inter-title consistency don't really matter in the Ar-series games. Or any media, really. A brief noting of where they don't exactly mesh together, when the rift between the games actually appears, would be interesting. However, going "There is so much wrong with this part of the game! Clearly the developers never even read their world-building stuff from the previous games, the freaking morons!" before the disconnect even shows up, is boorish geekery in the vein of loudly talking about how dumb some upcoming part of a movie is because it totally contradicts some other prior source and the director only included it as a cheap bone tossed to fans of the source material and glancing around looking for approving grins from your fellow theater-goers.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 6, 2015

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Kadorhal posted:

So Cass knows the stuff Delta was forced to do through Interdimend or whatever the cause of opening the barrier was, which was over two years ago at this point, mind, was not actually his doing, yet she still feels the need to get angry at and punish him for it once she has the ability to really do so.

You're losing me here, Cass. You're becoming a bad character. Well, maybe "character" isn't the right word now. You're becoming a bad stereotype of an already-bad archetype.

Agreed, the Cass at a deep, subconcious level of Genometrics/Cosmosphere, twinned with a sociopath who has a messiah/god complex and is currently trying to tang everyone on the ship, in a dive dedicated to opposition, conflict, and betrayal, should be operating solely on the fundamentals of pure logic in decisions and feelings regarding someone she loves. People have emotions and tend to act irrationally when things happen about and to the people they care about instead of being soulless, purely rational automota even when they're in full posession of their faculties; that knowing something consciously may not filter down into the core of individual's psyche? That's impossible, the character must just be an archetype I dislike.

Less mordaciously, humans are not purely rational existences. Even if Cass here wasn't some sort of emotion-spirit-hybrid acting within her subconscious while bonded to Anime Space Mengele, I'd say that her given justifications for her actions are irrational and not logically sound, but her irrationality and unsoundness about Delta's abduction and his actions afterward are understandable and humanizing. Cass has gone through some serious poo poo, and it's not unusual for people who go through serious poo poo to have some sort of scarring from their experiences.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 12, 2015

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Prim is hanging out with the giant seven-dimensional tang-based god-robot they can't beat in a fight, there's also that.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Feinne posted:

It's a loving lot, I've also been trying to keep their mentions of the ship's name even remotely consistent.

So there are some fans of this series who are really serious about things being precisely correct and get really huffy about poo poo not being localized right, and even they seem totally fine with spelling Reyvateil with a 'y' because that's definitely how it's pronounced in English.

I know why they did it because I think that's a direct literal transliteration of the word but unlike NISA they don't seem to always get the actual intent of this poo poo. Like the ship is DEFINITELY the Soleil and not the "Soreil", because one of those is an actual word that means and implies things and is of a language they've stolen from before.

I wish I could say I was surprised, but the Ar Series are kind of niche titles in the Americas. They were probably translated/produced over here on a shoestring budget.

Glazius posted:

I think that given how things are with Delta, they could have bullshit something a little better with the shared inventory. Like, it has to be something Delta puts in or whatever.

It's not Delta's inventory (I don't see any pockets on his outfit, and there's no way Cass is carrying anything big in that zip-up she wears), it's the player's.

On the subject of Delta's outfit, are his sleeve garters metal bands? How does he put on his frayed denim athletic shirt?

I'm not even sure those are sleeve garters, I think he's wearing three shirts.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 29, 2015

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Feinne posted:

We'll see why but basically Ion being horrible to Nay is exactly what Nay wants from her

I had my body stolen by a teenager from another dimension and she didn't even have the decency to be a bitch about it!

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's dumb that this dive just doesn't even attempt to deal with the fact that Ion is a huge rear end in a top hat. Is this aspect of her character ever contested at all? As what I assume was Ion's final dive this was incredibly underwhelming.

Describing Ion as a "huge rear end in a top hat" strikes me as a bit noxious and extremely hyperbolic. There's no question that she's a jerk and often insincere, but compared to Jill's untrammeled sociopathy, Nelo's understandable yet abhorrent willful blindness, and Prim's Interdimend user's general jackassery, I think Ion comes off pretty well. Plus she's aces at awkward situation judo.

Feinne posted:

Earthes just happens to be among said friends, and I wouldn't even say we had any more important role in what happened than any of the other participants.

That both makes sense and isn't terribly surprising. Earthes's role in events thus far has mostly been as a guardian of Ion and an assistant in achieving the goals of Ion and the other characters. Given how little agency Earthes (as a direct avatar of the players) has in the game, I'm not sure if I'd be comfortable with the dive revolving entirely around Earthes.

I mean, yeah other protagonists in the Ar- series games also progressed along a linear path and the player occasionally made choices in dialog trees, but the is the first one where the player has an avatar that is recognized as a shell they are controlling as a storytelling conceit. Unless the player is merely being given the perspective of the person operating the avatar; Earthes definitely having their own persona* is an argument for that, but the lack of internal dialog for Earthes makes me question that possibility.

*Which may or may not line up with the player's or maybe selecting an option gives Earthes the player's take on the situation but the limited variety in choices means that some players won't be able to select an option that truly represents their opinion/take/input instead of the option that best resembles their input. But is that distinction meaningful regarding deciding if the player is meant to be the person controlling Earthes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Glazius posted:

loving song magic, how does it work.

• Locked thread