Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

It's storytime with Mir again :woop:. At least, narrator feels like Feinne's Mir.

It's way, way too early to speculate, so I'll just notice that apparently we have magical songstresses again, but they don't seem Reyvateils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Is BBQ Soda going to make its glorious return?
In related matters: Mir, you know the saying about stones and glass houses? I'd not criticize other people's (objctively abysmal) cooking skills if I were you. Just saying.

Some scraps of backstory information somewhere there. Cass and Delta have been on ice since presumably the planet busting event (maybe I should read that Ciel summary sometimes, but :effort:). I wonder if the empress is still the same one.
Betting Delta was kicked out of the force for a sudden attack of conscience, the only other reason in fiction is the loose cannon one and he doesn't seem the tipe.

Hold on

Feinne posted:

Nay:
Lives a double life as the Divine Empress of Felion and Nay the Gale.
:wtc:
SHE's the empress? (I probably should watch the videos when I can)(and read that Ciel summary)
Is that an open secret or an actual secret for friends only? And how the hell did she get the Prime Minister to not bitch at her for that?
The PM is a Vizier, isn't it? He's not objecting because he's plotting a coup, isn't he?

Even in just still images, Delta conveys perfectly what he's thinking during the synth.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Feinne posted:

Also we will just have to see whether the Prime Minister is shady or not.

Of course, I was just making a bad joke.
I'm actually interested in the Empress' design. Her regal dress clearly evokes Shurelia's and Tyria's Linkage, while as Nay her war on pants reminds me of Tyria's casual outfit.
All in all, Nay is designed as an Origin, which is a fairly interesting callback.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Polsy posted:

Just noticed the writing on this door effectively says "5049", between actual characters for numbers and characters that happen to be pronounced like numbers.

:ughh:
What kind of idiot would leave the password on a post-it next to engraved on the door in plaintext? (answer: roughly half of humanity, but it's never not cringe-inducing).

We can now dive into evil (make that temporary antagonist) bishop, out of nowhere? No way that is a good thing short-term. On the other hand, future party member spotted.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Apr 11, 2015

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Feinne posted:

Moving pudding… reminds me, note to self, get in touch with Skycat, interesting product proposal.

:supaburn: Abort, abort, maximum alert, abort. :supaburn:

Internet Kraken posted:

...so this is the Divine Empress? I guess the Prime Minister has to be running everything behind the scenes or the city would be in flames.

I know this isn't the case, but I'd like if Nay is normally competent but in her Delta's shop she just takes it easy, shuts down her brain and goes with the flow.

wdarkk posted:

Just wait until we find out how Nay became Divine Empress.

It was song magic thunderdome, wasn't it? Two princesses enter, one Empress leaves.

In the end, though

Argas posted:

Cooking, cooking never changes.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

That blessing trick is actually fairly smart. I assume they can detect if it fails to take so if any "new convert" resists the tracker they can spring an immediate arrest for more torough checks.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I find the role that Nay and unnamed cameo have in Sarly's mindscape interesting. I don't think Sarly would give those "villain" roles to non-friends :3:

Although, how do the mechanics for a multiple dive work here? Because Cass was not behaving like a diver, more like a divee. Basically, why is Cass not bothering with the dive and simply perfectly roleplaying along with the standard cosmosphere shenanigans?

EDIT: update last page

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Feinne posted:

EDIT: Also we are only a few updates from our first Song in the form of CLASS::CIEL_N_PROTECTA so there's that to look forward to. And yes, Songs here aren't EXEC:: or METHOD::, they're CLASS::.

Object-oriented language? Do Ra Cielans use (a local variant of) Hymnos too or is their magical language different? Looking forward to it, the songs are the selling point of the Tonelico & co. games

I've finished the Ciel Nosurge summary and :stonklol: Nay's backstory. Up there with Cloche and Mir's, how the hell is she that well adjusted? While I'm asking questions with no/spoilerous answers, why the hell is Zill alive and not in prison? That Genometric is sure going to be interesting.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Feinne posted:

No, but all of the Songs we get in Dives are actually real Songs that will play when we use them in a normal combat (I'll cut up a quick video of one like right now). They're all Hymmn::SONG_NAME, so for example Hymmn::NEURON_KILLER_Z.

I think I got the joke in Nyuroki's name.
It's so bad I wish I didn't.

Genoms were a Ra Ciela only thing, lost with the explosion, right? At times, that summary's English is not what I'd call coherent.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Feinne posted:

Doctor Leolm: No, I’m quite sure.
She has been made into Zill’s puppet. To stop the stream of Sharl, we must awaken her.
And we must discern how to do so soon. Do you understand?

What I'm taking from this is, the Ciel Nosurge framing story (where the player finds Ion and helps her piece back her memories) is happening/ending right now.
I'm guessing Earthes is how they're going to call Ciel Nosurge's player.

Feinne posted:

I don't know, I kind of have to forgive him for it because, as he noted earlier, trying to keep Cass safe is pretty much the only thing he's got left in his life.

Magic singers tend to be the most fragile glass cannons in the Tonelico games. If nothing else, a competent meatshield is something they'll always need.
Unless they're Cocona, and even then I'm still pissed at Qoga we didn't get switchable vanguard/Reyvateil Cocona.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 26, 2015

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

mikemil828 posted:

Pretty much, indeed Ciel_Nosurge plays during the ending/credits of that game.

Anyway, if you had any intentions of looking at that previously linked summary of Ciel Nosurge, but haven't gotten around to it, now is the time.

Done already. I'm really, really hoping that Zill doesn't get a feeel-good "redemption" and/or gets away from all her poo poo with a minor slap on the wrist. Half from what she pulled in Ciel, half because

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Oh geez, not MORE "all humans are bastards and should die" bullshit. It's such a worn-out, dead cliche by this point. Especially for this series. I don't give a gnat's turd what the actual grievance is, going there is low-hanging fruit and completely uninteresting.

On the other hand, I hope Earthes ends up being Ciel's player and he gets pulled here by the Ciel_Nosurge song. It'd be delicious irony for Zill to shoot herself in the foot so thoroughly.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I think Earthes dialogue should be a constant, never-ending series of trolls. He should be a motherfucking train with just one stop: Trollsville, population Ion. In fact go back and show off all the trolling dialogue.

If the troll answers elicit funny responses go full ham on them, Ion looks like a decent straight woman to bounce some hilarity off.
In the previous game, could you go full Ciel Trollsurge?

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Do note that if you don't World Link, so for all English playthroughs of the game, Earthes is actually canonically not the Ciel noSurge player. It's kinda weird that way.

So canonically Earthes is a robot remotely controlled by an extra-universal entity, namely the Ar player. If the player didn't play Ciel, then obviously Earthes can't be the Ciel player.
The logic is quite straightforward once you stop and think about it, even if it is somewhat non-standard.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I like that Earthes is allowed "out of character" knowledge since he is an earthling whose PS3/PSVITA can be used as a window into the Nosurge world. I hope they do something interesting with it. I think it's implied we didn't actually have control on Delta's actions, we were just watching the story unfold.

I wonder how the two party thing is going to work. We seem to have a bag of sharing somehow, so an option is that once we rescue Cass and Delta, they do their job human side and Ion does her job sharl side; think Atelier Iris 2, but with 2 Felt parties instead of Felt/Viese.

Some speculation since in a couple of instances in Ciel Ion is showed as capable of time travel (loads of energy required): when Delta released the barrier he was under direct player control, working on future knowledge that would make that action a necessity. Hence why D has no clue why he did it, although his general memory problems are still Zill's fault.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Feinne posted:

This will be one of the first things that comes up when we switch back to Delta. I won't say how long but it's actually been quite a while.

Nay is totally going to murder her friends for making her worry.

That dive was sure something.
We had crashes within minutes/seconds of the first dive, murderous personalities from higher dive levels, destroyed levels, fake paradigm shifts, fake binary fields, everything Finnel* but it's the first time somebody simply transplants an higher level downwards.

*technically counted under fake paradigm shifts, but she went so far above and beyond it deserves its own entry

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

"Glad you could join us Ion"
"Actually this whole plan is a trap by Nelo"
"Whatever, I'm going on with it anyway"
"but"
"lalala not listening"
:ughh:

At least say something on how now that you've been warned you can make sure Nelo's betrayal will fail, Kanon. This idiocy goes far beyond guilt complex and sunk cost fallacy.

She even acknowledges that both her and Ion are missing critical information, she seriously cannot be so pressed for time that she can't take half a day to share notes. Even if she was, Ion's reveal is so big that a delay is well worth investigating it.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:toot:
Is the plus version supposed to have all DLC?

Pollyanna posted:

What the gently caress are those costumes? Delta and Earthes look okay, though.

Is that a monocle I spy on Delta :monocle:? Too bad about Cassy and Ion's costumes though, but it should be possible to mix & match.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

FrickenMoron posted:

Yeah Ion pretty much produced lots of sharls in those two years. IIRC the amount of hp the optional superboss has in this game (culled from NA Version) also is partially based on how many Sharl the total playerbase of Ciel had created. Also I want to post the Nay genometrics music already, it's pretty good. :argh:

I'm finding that quite funny. It's a neat thing to incorporate in the game at any rate.
By "culled from NA version" you mean that in translating they decided that we unwashed gaijin masses weren't worth of the superboss' majesty from glorious 日本, so they removed it? :wtc:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Icedude posted:

We never got (and probably will never get) Ciel and as such can't World Link between the two games, so instead of leaving around functions we'd never be able to use they just blocked them off. Despite the fact they apparently translated all the World Link stuff. Instead of just giving us another way to unlock it.

Yeah, it sucks. We can only hope Plus does a better job at that but I seriously doubt it.

Fair enough, I assumed it was something accessible in a "normal" playthrough.
The world link thing is still stupid though. Add a new game plus requirement to it and a warning that the prequel game was not translated to English. On the other hand, this would require spending more money on the localization.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Argas posted:

The Sharl must have some lousy security if our heroes and PLASMA snuck in this easily. Then again, they are kind of ditzy and dumb, and are probably focusing only on Felion.

Zill (and Nelo) was probably all the competent security they had. Now that they're busy, Sharl security has more holes than Swiss cheese.

Apparently Ciel Nosurge was Sarly's plan? I'm assuming that's what the Camphor Program is, since it apparently was meant to awake Ion.
Have we seen Leolm onscreen yet? Because if not I'd say the story is hinting strongly towards one person.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Feinne posted:

Just be glad there's no 'Ar Tonelico, but with Neptune' game. You'll know if that happens from the sky turning to sackcloth and demon locusts eating your face.

Don't
:stonklol:
Please don't give them ideas. Ar Tonelico 3 was bad enough, I don't really want to know what Idiot Factory would do with the setting.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Feinne posted:

The Sharl (and by extension the regular every day Genom from Ra Ciela) are super chill and actually really like helping people. They have unfortunately been told that kidnapping humans and putting them in the Flask Sea is in fact helping them, and because they're not really much like a human they have no real frame of reference for why that's obviously a lie. Especially since they've also been led to believe that people fighting back is just a sign of the fantasy ailment they're supposed to be suffering from.

I'd say Sharl being naive is a deliberate move by Nero & Zill, considering that if they lose control their plan goes the way of Ra Ciela.
This may be related to what the grand vizier's deal is (since apparently he's not evil). He thanked Ion for stopping the Sharl genocide, so he either knows that Nay is one or he has connections to an hypotetical Sharl faction that realized Zill isn't up to anything good.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Lunar Suite posted:

Cosal, please put on some pants. For a Ken doll furry, you're... bulging a lot. :stonk:

Is it ever elaborated on what precisely binds Nelo and/or Ion into the EXA_PICO universe?
...Then again, if they were soul-napped, their original bodies might've, well, not fared well in the interim years.
Actually wait wasn't Nelo the core of REON? How can people still use Songs then?

People can always use songs in the EXA_PICO 'verse, it's just that they usually need amplifiers to boost their power to usable levels. In the Tonelico games, the song servers do that for linked reyvateils; here, REON served a similar function (Tenmon faction), but synching with a Genom (Chimon faction) worked as well. With both gone the way of Ra Ciela, most people can't use songs anymore; Sharl would work, but obvious problems there.
Cass and Sarly can still use powerful magic because they underwent a special procedure, Zill either did the same (she's the one that thought said procedure up) or is synching with Nelo, Ion is synching with Earthes I think, and Nay is an human soul in a Sharl body, so she can synch with herself.

oh boy another 100% perfect Nature Race who is always harmonious with nature and their Fellow Nature Race People, and they are never wrong or ever doing anything at all which ever increases entropy because they're just so goddamn perfect

Stupid filthy worthless humans, it's all your fault for not being born perfect like us.
:jerkbag: describes Cosal perfectly, doesn't it?

quote:

It's about friggin' time Ion figured out that she might need to pick a side.
She already did, though? She is rejecting the fake humanity/sharl dicotomy that Nelo, Zill and Cosal are trying to impose. Mind, she was absolutely lousy at communicating this until right now, but she understands that it's not the Sharls that need to be told at swordpoint to cut the crap, it's just those three. Yes, those assholes poisoned the well, but it's not an insormountable problem.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

wdarkk posted:

So uh you can look at this if you want to :psyboom:

If I understand the technobabble correctly:
-a single universe is a standard 4-dimensional thing
-a multiversal set of connected universes (parallel words) with the same set of physical laws can be described by two extra dimensions (5th and 6th)
-if you want to access poo poo with different physical laws (e.g. the EXA_PICO universe which explicitly has a different underlying structure at the subatomic level) you need the 7th dimension.
-there are still some similarities between ours and EXA_PICO that can only go away on theoretical 8th + dimensions.

:techno::hf::psyduck:

Omobono fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 31, 2015

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Tone Arlico. Atelier Sarlie.
:frogout:

Poor Kanon got a secular redwood tree surgically implanted by the Chimon, didn't she?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I called that Delta opening up the barrier pre-game was because of our control (7th dimension shenanigans would allow us direct control even in a flashback - in related news don't think too hard about what time travel does to causality) but I did not imagine we were actually in charge right now, I kinda assumed the Delta sections were standard JRPG fare.
Also, uh, Earthes really, really should have a face to face with Delta about this before D does something stupid to get out of our control, I can't help but think Nelo giving him that thing is going to end in sabotage somehow.

Plan B is to ask Zill nicely to stand down? Stupid, but as long as they have an actual plan A I don't really mind, and let's be honest Zill will be too stupid to not trigger a boss battle after the refusal.

Leolm is totally Shirotaka. You could tell your girlfriend you've survived you jerk. Where the gently caress is he though? Still on Ra Ciela communicating via FTL phone, I assume?
Speaking of missing characters from Ciel, has anyone sighted Renall somewhere? As one of the Seven, I'd say she'll have to pop out sometimes.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Feinne posted:

Yeah the unseen influence on Delta's life does have benefits (some we realize already some which will come up later) but gently caress if it isn't potentially inconvenient at times.

I'll be finishing Tattoria's stuff up next time, then we'll be out of side content for the phase. We're actually almost at phase III, where poo poo will continue to get weirder and weirder.

I'm assuming part of the benefits is the battle system, that is the ability to calmly assess the situation including information he really has no reason to know and to keep trucking on with no loss in combat efficiency no matter what his current HP is, as long as it's non-zero.

But yeah, that flat chest choice was painfulhorrifying and I'd fight that too. We really, really need to square things with Delta, and maybe shake Zill for a solution, smart money is that Delta is on channel 2 because of her.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Icedude posted:

Oh, and Cass kicked Delta after I accidentally touched her on the touchscreen during purification :laugh:

Really? It's both :japan: as hell and fitting the whole possession thing going on.

I grabbed noSurge+ myself and gotta say, Delta's thousand yard stare during the synthesis dance isn't getting old anytime soon.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Feinne posted:

This song allowed all the IPDs to effectively sing together.

Aren't there two songs that fit this description? Both METHOD_REPLEKIA and METHOD_METAFALICA are designed for cooperative singing by multiple (up to all) IPDs.

Feinne posted:

Give any of the three Synchronity Chain callouts.
Songs / emotions / give us power. Syncronity Chain.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

One of the things I've noticed playing is that sometimes when controlling Delta there are some really wierd camera angles, for example Delta is talking but the camera is focused on his torso cutting off half his face. It's definitely deliberate and somewhat unsettling if you know what's going on there.
A nice touch is that those weird angles are at the beginning of the game, there's a lull where they don't happen, and they come back when you're picking Delta's dialogue.

Feinne posted:

I don't know actually being able to interact in rear end in a top hat ways with the characters you control is pretty sweet and I'll have to try that.

I can't help but feel sorry for Delta here. Plaything for an eldricht abomination, potentially an rear end in a top hat.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Icedude posted:

That scene with Delta at the end there really annoyed me the first time I got to it. Still does, really. I spent all this time helping him and stuff and they don't give us an option to not be a total dick to him when we finally get to talk directly to him? Or an option to at least be worried about Ion if you've finished her side first, and ask for Delta for help? It just feels totally out of place that you have no option other than to be an rear end in a top hat or an even bigger rear end in a top hat.

I've just played this part and the options in the Vita version are actually far more reasonable (e.g. I just want to save your world) until Delta loses it because it's the only sane reaction to the situation. Then it's back to Darth Player using force lightning, and I feel it's really out of place. I don't want to go Sith on a poor dude that is completely right in freaking off; for all Delta knows we're the reason he opened the barrier before the game, hell he could even be right.
I'd have liked the option to let Delta go until the inevitable moment where he'll ask for our help again.

That said: :stare:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

MonsterEnvy posted:

You should totally have used images of Prim's evil faces.

Honestly I did not think starting out that Prim would straight up be a antagonist.

Something Nelo said raises the possibility that Prim is being controlled in a similar way to Delta, in a more advanced state; I hope for Prim it is the case, otherwise she's in a world of pain when the situation is finally resolved. To make a stupid joke, she's going to get grounded for the next couple millennia.

(I'm starting phase 3 right now, so I'll bow out of any further speculation)

Omobono fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jul 7, 2015

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Elric posted:

So what % of the problems in the plot so far would have been fixed by killing Prim?

None, as Zill would link someone else to interdimend instead; Delta was in Prim's situation until Sarly and Shirotaka switched who he was controlled by.
Now, killing Zill and/or Nelo back in Ciel would have worked, but it's a tad late for that.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Elric posted:

You mean really good if they got captured again. Because honestly, I cannot feel too sad about whatever happens to them.

Prim is currently under mind control, so killing her deliberately feels a tad on the horribly evil side.
I really can't muster much sympathy for Nelo, though.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Super Jay Mann posted:

Infel and Nenesha pretty much used the Power of Love and Friendship to attack our heroes in the final fight.

They rode into battle on top of a wedding ring. You really can't top that.

(image shmelessly stolen from the lp archive)

The first two Ar Tonelico games really managed to sell their antagonists as fundamentally good people that made bad choices under duress (and then sunk cost fallacy set in).

Speaking of idiots that made bad choices, Kanon badly needs a stickrectomy (surgical removal of the stick up her rear end). The Chimon and Cosal did a number on the poor girl.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

DOOP posted:

Well then

Is it me, or does Cass look really lecherous? Ion is the previous update too

Honestly, "love each other since kids and might be dead tomorrow" is not a bad motivation for sealing the deal. I must say, I really liked the date scene, it was nice to see Cass and Delta in more normal situations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Lunar Suite posted:

Well, Aoto is technically a male Reyvateil, just that if he ever tries to craft a Song, the SH server won't recognize him properly and write garbage all over his cosmosphere. Thanks, Archia!

(phoneposting)
Did I miss something from extended material here?

AT3 established that we don't have malevateils 'cause the designers were loving creeps. Mir did nothing wrong (jokes aside a reyvateil rebellion as pretty much inevitable from what we know)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

wdarkk posted:

IIRC the planet's also having general human civilization environmental problems. Can you imagine the environmental impact study for the Tower of Ar Tonelico?

"gently caress Ar Ciel, we have a space elevator to build"
-First page of the Ar Tonelico project

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Happened in Ciel IIRC. Ion and her pet dragon Telefunken merged at one point. Incidentally, Telefunken was part of the scouting party stranded on Ar Ciel.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Now THAT'S most anime :japan:.
I like this dive, even if it gets ridicolous at times, but drat if I wasn't laughing my rear end off at the end there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Mokinokaro posted:

She's obviously not dead for real.

I get the feeling that Prime's not 100% truthful, especially in a world created by Zill.

Nah, Prime is trustworthy.

Remember when Zill managed to partially fuse with Cass? This dive is the Maternal Overseer trying to finish the fusion. Unfortunately, that's not a plot point that fits what is optional content, so when Prime declares that the others have been pulled into too, it falls really flat, since there can be no difference from a standard dive.

• Locked thread