Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Recently found out it's "those kids were fast as lightning," not "those cats were fast as lightning."

Pretty sure it's actually "those kicks were fast as lightning."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Mister Macys posted:

Add Ontario to the sneakers crowd, along with running shoes/runners, because nobody plays tennis here (Milos Raonic excepted). :canada:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUaMzsNKR7Q

Speaking of regional things, I just found out that a Witch Window is sometihng that pretty much only exists in Vermont:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_window

I've lived hear almost my whole life, so I guess I just assumed it was a common thing elsewhere.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I learned this a few years ago,. but brief music/band chat reminded me:

There is no band called Modest Yahoo.

There is, however, a singer called Matisyahu.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

You know how the paint stirring sticks you get free from the HW store when you get a bucket of paint have that little curved in section?

It's not there to just be the "handle", it also helps you scrape paint of out the roller:
http://i.imgur.com/a6C5kjc.mp4

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Likewise, Cube and The Cube are different movies.

Likewise, Cell and The Cell are also different movies.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Dross posted:

When I caught it it actually took away from the name a little, for me.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

In the Mega Man X series, Zero does not have a tattered, yellow, cape...it's his hair.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

What is Guy? Just a miserable little pile of secret sauces!

I downloaded SoTN the other week because it was on sale in the PS Store, and that line is now gone.

All the voice acting, and most of the script, is changed.

Travesty.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

A lot of hits were covers, especially in the sixties through eighties. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun is a cover, and the original is a bitchin' power pop tune. Same with Hanging On The Telephone.

Back in college (circa 2003) my trivia team lost a pub trivia night because one of the middle-round questions was,
"Who originally wrote and sang 'I Will Always Love You'" and no one believed me that it was Dolly Parton, and they all thought it was a trick question so they put "Whitney Houston" and we lost those points, and the final round was a Final Jeopardy style "bet your points thing" and we got it right, but without those extra middle-round points we only got third instead of first and I'm still bitter to this day.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

The only reason I now how to pronounce it is because of Spaceballs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAWL8ejf2nM

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Krankenstyle posted:

ive never heard of this either

tho tbf im not very conscientious re tooth cleansing regimes. i only brush my teeth if i leave the house (say 4 times a week), i smoke, i drink, i eat sugar (sometimes even in lumps). and i still dont have holes at age 40

possibly my oral milieu is lethal to bacteria.

No offense dude, but that's nasty.

Regardless of any cavities or lack thereof (are you regularly going to the dentist and KNOW you don't have cavities? It's very possible to have small ones that you can't see yourself and don't actually hurt for a while before they get big enough that you notice,) your breath must be GNARLY.

I can guarantee you that all your friends, family, coworkers, etc... notice your nasty breath, yes, even if you brush right before leaving the house.

And on a personal note, don't your teeth and mouth just FEEL scummy? When I wake up in the morning, the first two things I always have to do ASAP are piss and brush my teeth. That sum feeling grosses me out so much, I can't eat or drink anything before I brush (not even water, feels like I'm just swallowing my teeth crud.)

I brush at night before I go to bed, too, I just have dry mouth so it contributes to bacteria and whatnot in my mouth, so I'm aware this isn't the case for everyone, but seriously...at least brush once a day.

Also floss, cause you probably have gingivitis.

Edit: And I guess this isn't the first I've heard that you shouldn't rinse after brushing, but I didn't know that you also shouldn't drink even water for 30-60 minutes. I know that's the case with a fluoride rinse, so is this the case only if you have a fluoride toothpaste and DON'T use a rinse? I rinse at night before bed, so no need to eat or drink after. I also have fluoride added to my municipal water.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

Holy loving poo poo! Apparently it is indeed a true thing that dentists say you should do. I can't believe it.

https://www.ada.org.au/Dental-Health-Week/Oral-Health-for-Busy-Lives/Brushing

It does mention the not rinsing, but it doesn't say not to drink for 30 minutes.

Though if one were to just think logically, obviously drinking anything soon after brushing would, in effect, be the same as rinsing. I do wonder the minimum I have to wait...I'm always very thirty in the morning and, as said, hate drinking even water before brushing.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Oh boy, I know I'm opening up a whole new :can: here, but who the gently caress flosses AFTER they brush?

I've read about some people doing it because they think, somehow, that brushing after flossing will "push back in" all the crud they just flossed out.

To which I say...why aren't they rinsing after flossing?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Words words words RASPBERRY PARADE words words words words...

Yeah, same deal with everyone who thought the AC/DC song was "Dirty Deeds...THUNDER CHIEF!"

Like...obviously that makes no sense with the whole chorus:

"Dirty deeds and they're Thunder Chief, dirty deeds and they're Thunder Chief"
?

But misheard lyrics aren't rational, especially with so many songs have nonsense lyrics anyway.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Question about these bidets:

Just how powerful is the stream of water? I have this idea in my head that they are basically a water fountain-level of force, maybe a bit more. Because, just speaking from my own experience, if I'm taking the type of poo poo where I feel like plain ol' dry TP ain't gonna cut it (insert the old joke about trying to clean peanut butter off a carpet here), then a teeny-tiny stream of water ain't gonna cut it. My rear end will get wet, and now I just have a wet and lovely brown eye. And if I try to then use TP, it will just shred to pieces and now I have a wet, lovely rear end in a top hat covered in TP pieces. So are you supposed to just drip-dry?

Those type of shits practically require a shower, where I can use a full force massaging shower head to blast in there, you know what I mean?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It went out of business.

Makes sense, it was going downhill fast ever since The Leftopolis moved in next door.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Len posted:

No, it's literally to rotate the logo to match the orientation of the ps2

Which is dumb because didn't keeping it in vertical orientation eventually break it? Something about one of the gears that spins the disc gets warped or knocked off its pin or something?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

beats for junkies posted:

Thing I just figured out: Usagi Yojimbo isn't actually a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles character, but an independently-created Animal-Person Hybrid Comic Book with Japanese Influences, that just so happened to have numerous crossovers with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Mystery Men share a universe with TMNT.

They debuted in a Flaming Carrot comic, and Flaming Carrot had a crossover with TMNT.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Debbie Harry of Blondie was in Videodrome.

Also, Debbie Harry is not supposed to be called Blondie. It's not a stage name, it's the name of the band.

See also:

Darius Rucker is NOT Hootie.

There is no Hootie, "Hootie and the Blowfish" was just a nonsense name they chose, though honestly it's sort of his fault for not realizing that as the front-man, people WOULD think he was Hootie and the rest of the band was the Blowfish, a la Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers..

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Master Twig posted:

Dirty Dancing and Footloose do not actually have the exact same plot. (I have seen neither)

Until a couple years ago, I don't know Dirty Dancing was set in the 50's.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Memento posted:

the chick in The Good Place

is Anna from Frozen

what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

And her daughter prefers they both dress as Elsa:

She's also married to Dax Shepard (the Go Away...batin' guy from Idiocracy) if you weren't already aware.

And on the topic of weird lookin' dudes married to hot celebrity women who are way above their weight class, the "Snozberries taste like snozberries" kid from Super Troopers is married to Christina Hendricks.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The voice actor for Megatron Griffin in the hit kids' show Family Guy used to be Lacey Chabert of Hallmark Channel fame.

Well now I'm giggling in my conference call at the idea of Megatron Griffin.

That weird helmet thing on Megatron's head is now Meg's purple hat.

Someone good at photoshop, please help.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

At 37, I just got the phrase,
"Smooth move, Ex Lax."

I hadn't ever really thought about it, especially why you call the person Ex-Lax. If you had asked me, I probably would have saod that because it's a laxative, that's simply funny enough on its own. Anything poop adjacent is funny.

Oh wait...It's a laxative...it gives people smooth moves, i.e. smooth bowel movements.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Speaking of Wheel of Fortune (and Jeopardy,) I didn't realize until my mid twenties they're syndicated programs and aren't always at 7:00 and 7:30 on NBC for everyone (Jeopardy at 7, Wheel at 7:30.)

By a coincidence, when I went to college, the syndication package for both was ALSO the local NBC affiliate, and they also chose to air Jeopardy at 7 and Wheel at 7:30. After college I moved to an area close-ish to where I grew up, so got the same local affiliates there. It wasn't until I took a business trip for that job and went to Florida that I noticed it was not the same.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Were they pterodactyls, or pteranodons?

Dinosar and dinosaur-adjacent animals have a HUGE taxonomy problem, at least when it comes to lay-person terminology.

Don't get me started on the whole Brontosaurus thing.

But also, when looking at a wiki article on Pterosaurs, it seems that some 19th century paleontologist thought they might have been some sort of flying marsupial:

quote:

In 1843, Edward Newman thought pterosaurs were flying marsupials.[91] As the bat model correctly depicted pterosaurs as furred and warm-blooded, it better approached the true physiology of pterosaurs than Cuvier's "reptile model".

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Phy posted:

I've been telling people that a recent study concluded that Brontosaurus was different enough from Apatosaurus to constitute its own genus after all, making Brontosaurus a thing again.

If you think I shouldn't be doing this, you can meet me by the bike racks.

No, that's the gist of it.

Some guy way back in the 1800's found an Apatosaurus, another guy found a Brontosaurus. Then a short time after, other people just said,
"Oh, Bronto is just a slightly different species in the same genus as Apatosaurus, so we should stop using that name."

But it was already out in the wild, and somehow got to be the preferred nomenclature over the firstly discovered/published Apatosaurus.

I read about that as a teenager so I was a smug jerk for a long while correcting people needlessly that there really wasn't such a thing as Brontosaurus...but yes, there is, other studies confirmed they are almost certainly two different dinosaurs. But that was pretty recent (2015) so I wasn't technically WRONG all those other years, but I was a jack-rear end about it. Though it still might not be 100% cut and dry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brontosaurus

quote:

Almost all 20th-century paleontologists agreed with Riggs that all Apatosaurus and Brontosaurus species should be classified together in a single genus. According to the rules of the ICZN (which governs the scientific names of animals), the name Apatosaurus, having been published first, had priority as the official name; Brontosaurus was considered a junior synonym and was therefore discarded from formal use.[23][24][25][26] Despite this, at least one paleontologist—Robert T. Bakker—argued in the 1990s that A. ajax and A. excelsus are in fact sufficiently distinct that the latter continues to merit a separate genus.[27] In 2015, an extensive study of diplodocid relationships by Emanuel Tschopp, Octavio Mateus, and Roger Benson concluded that Brontosaurus was indeed a valid genus of sauropod distinct from Apatosaurus. The scientists developed a statistical method to more objectively assess differences between fossil genera and species, and concluded that Brontosaurus could be "resurrected" as a valid name. They assigned two former Apatosaurus species, A. parvus and A. yahnahpin, to Brontosaurus, as well as the type species B. excelsus.[4] Paleontologist Michael D'Emic made a critique.[28] Palaeontologist Donald Prothero criticized the mass media reaction to this study as superficial and premature, concluding:

Until someone has convincingly addressed the issue, I'm going to put "Brontosaurus" in quotes and not follow the latest media fad, nor will I overrule Riggs (1903) and put the name in my books as a valid genus.[29]

So might not still be settled, though I think Dr.Prothero is just being a crotchety old jerk who doesn't like change in his field of expertise.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

https://youtu.be/PaSEaIpi89c

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

bony tony posted:

What is this, Tomb Raider 2013?

That video of Conan O'Brien playing that and screaming when Lara is impaled is so good.

https://youtu.be/xCe8-1dbXZc

River section starts at 6:00 minutes.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

You're doing a long press. You've got to start swiping earlier.

I remember when Android/Google wanted to get rid of the long press, and I feel like they did for a lot of stuff, but then it came back for other stuff.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

He went to the same place as the younger daughter from Family Matters, the sister from Boy Meets World*, Walt from Lost, and countless others.

*Although Boy Meets World brought her back at some point and had her make a joke that she was in her room for a long time.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Len posted:

Walt got off the island, it was a very clear and announced thing

Yeah, but they def did that and avoided showing very much of him after (unlike ask the others that got off the island) because he grew too much, as kids do.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Well, while I did know that we currently eat the genetic mutant that is the Cavendish, AND that the previous "generic banana" was the Gros Michel...I was not aware of the pronunciation.

It's a good thing I've never had to say it out loud to anyone, because I absolutely was calling it "Gross Michael" in my head...not "Grow Michelle".

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Also the reason grape jelly doesn't taste like grapes as the video says is because it's made from concord grapes.

Are concord grapes just not available to most people?

I know they aren't found in stores as easily as your standard red and green grapes, but growing up they were always my favorite and I looked forward to late summer/early fall when they could be had.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

apple and grape are trash-worthy

God, why did both Lifesavers AND Skittles change their green flavors from lime to green apple in the last few years? gently caress them both. Lime was the best flavor for BOTH of them.

Also, pineapple flavor candy is all garbage. So now there's two flavors in a standard Lifesavers roll I won't touch.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Telemaze posted:

In my experience they move the goalposts to "but have you ever seen a dog turn into a cat?!" and then declare victory.

Well for that to happen, we'd have to first have transgender dogs and cats, because I have it on good authority (8 year old niece) that all cats are girls and all dogs are boys.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Memento posted:

And everything that was censored was replaced with a stupid cartoon sound like fart noises and boing-oing-oing kinda sounds.

One of my most hated was "You Oughta Know."

quote:

You seem very well, things look peaceful
I'm not quite as well, I thought you should know
Did you forget about me, Mr. Duplicity?
I hate to bug you in the middle of dinner
It was a slap in the face
How quickly I was replaced
And are you thinking of me when you [TARZAN YELL]

WHY a Tarzan yell?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Lady Disdain posted:

People hate Phil Collins because of his music. I always figured it was because he's a tax-evading Thatcherite arsehole, and the mediocre music was sort of just an "... and also his music is poo poo."

Wait, he loves/loved Thatcher?

Then why did they have that creepy puppet song that seemed to be saying:
"gently caress Conservative Reagan and Thatcher politics"?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I've never seen it, but I didn't learn until maybe early 2000s that it's not some fantastical tale about a dog who has 101 puppies and that's why Cruella wants them, as if 101 from one litter would make a better coat

The 'main' dog couple only had 15 puppies (granted, still like 3 times bigger than a regular dog litter) and Cruella already had 84 other dalmatian puppies ready to go.

Edit: And according to the wiki plot summary, even though she looks like she's loving 80, Cruella is actually the same age, or close to it since they were classmates, as the love interest, Anita, who seems late 20s/early 30s.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 04:18 on Jul 25, 2020

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

I thought all otters were, like, the side of ferrets.

Apparently not!

There are even bigger otters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quklHo6Myx8

Hard to get a sense of scale in that, but they can get over 5' long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Arnold Schwarzenegger is in his 70s already. He did not get into acting until he was approaching middle age.

Please don't refer to "mid 30's" as "approaching middle age," you're making me feel sad.
:(

Edit: Also I'm blown away by this Donkey Kong truth bomb.

So...OG Donkey Kong was in just the first two Donkey Kong games (Donkey Kong as the antagonist, and Donkey Kong, Jr as the victim) and his son, Jr, was only in the second one and then some version of Mario Tennis?

And the "Donkey Kong" that we've seen in countless iterations of Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country games, etc... is Junior's son? Donkey Kong III?

I guess it's there to explain why he's "friends" with Mario? Sort of a "let's let bygones be bygones" kind of thing?

"Hey, my grand-dad kidnapped your girlfriend, his bad, then you kidnapped him and my dad rescued him, let's erase this slate and go race some cars?"

??

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 14:14 on Aug 14, 2020