Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's cooler looking. That's like half the reason you invest in fighter jets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

There was a second eponymous member in the rock band Van Halen :tinfoil:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

credburn posted:

There are three!

Lol, I didn't know they had a kid member (also I didn't pay attention to them in their legacy band years, so I don't feel bad about missing that one)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Captain Splendid posted:

I had a teacher whose first name was Garfield.

I can only imagine his life was an endless hellscape of weekly "Mondays, amirite??"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I dunno, I thought the inverted crucifixion scene was pretty on the nose

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

What's that one do?

Why don't you tell us,........Jyperlinx

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Every time you've had a panini for lunch? It was actually a panino :aaaaa:
(unless you ate more than one)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ommin posted:

"Benevolent" fey? Balderdash! All fey-kind are tricksters and should never be trusted.

If he's so untrustworthy, why would New Mexico have an entire town dedicated to him :colbert:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

CloFan posted:

Was there ever a tiny-Santa movie? The chimney problem is already solved at least

That seems ripe for a creepy Twilight Zone adaptation, instead of an old lady being terrified by tiny NASA spacemen, it's tiny Santa trying to deliver normal sized(?) presents :ohdear:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The original Babe was Chucky

I thought this meant Child's Play Chucky at first, and now I'm sad that's not the case. What a weird movie that would've been, release the Dourif dub you cowards!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Smaller Squidword

woomy

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

DEATH ZONE
THE ZONE THAT EATS

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's a little nuts how much colder the same latitude often is in the US versus Europe. Philadelphia is further south than Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, and Istanbul.

I learned about this as a kid visiting some friends in France during the winter, at an even higher latitude than where we lived. It was generally comfortable outdoors weather over there, what I'd think of as pleasant fall weather. Getting on a plane after a few weeks of that and stepping off it hours later into classic Midwestern winter was quite the shock.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Trabant posted:

Well yeah, it's a brabed wire fence.

:mods:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The word "restauranteur" does not actually have an n in it :aaaaa:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Wish I could go there and see all the cute doggers

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ommin posted:

I didn't know either of these. I am also learning a lot today.

:same:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Plato was actually named Aristocles, "Plato" was just his wrasslin' nickname :pusheen:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Any time someone talks about the platonic ideal of something, I'm just gonna be imagining it doing a gun show now

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The base A-Wing design from RotJ is just a store bought model kit F-14 Lucas and co hacked the cockpit, horizontal stabilizers, and wings off of

That's fun, I'm surprised I never knew it with all the time I spent being obsessed with special effects work and model kits when I was younger.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

"What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" is from freakin' 2003. It's another one of those phrases that's so ingrained, I would've sworn it had been around my entire life.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dice also make for some pretty lovely dominoes, so that checks out

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

She also thought a draught rhymed with taught, not draft.

This was also me, reading it in books without hearing the pronunciation. I didn't realize it until I studied weather in college and ran across "updraught" in the context of updrafts. "Why would they pronounce it so differentl- ohhh :aaaaa:"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Rizz, as the kids are saying these days, is short for "charisma."

Ugh, why can't they just act like normal people and call it CHA

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

bawk posted:

Windows has a Clipboard History if you press Windows + V, which has little subsections in Windows 11 for other things like symbols (foreign currencies and other special symbols) as well as Emojis, because of course there are.

But there's a whole other section called Kaomojis, which are the weeb smilies. Some are the common ones like ^_^ and o_O, but there's tons of the super complicated ones. Finally, I can utilize Windows 11 to show my coworkers how I really feel

:tipshat:

For the clipboard history at least, it's been great to have on my phone but I was too dumb to look up whether Windows had it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:aaaaa:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I remember back when my folks got their first round of smartphones, my dad left that film on the screen to protect it, and tried to convince us to do so too. But the funny part was that the phone model we all got was made with gorilla glass back when tough screens weren't so common on cheaper models, its whole design was based on you being able to drop it off the roof or run over it without hurting it!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That part's fine, we must continue our war against apes on every possible front

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

PYF thing you just Heard

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

what are you, from the year 405? who writes 1/10

but ok, decimals are a new invention, so check this out: you can write like 100.001 and it means ten times ten plus one less than ten times nine and nine

You could get 9/10 more work done if you stopped worrying about how other people use numbers

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Rise and shi-ine, Mi-ster Freemason...

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Gomez Chamberlain posted:

So actually you can't then?

You can, if you have determination and the typical goon's understanding of lyrical meter

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Friend posted:

Don't know if this really counts but I was really surprised to learn that Patrick Swayze isn't a ghost yet in the famous pottery scene in Ghost. Never had seen the movie before but I always thought it was ghost-him trying to be close to her.

Huh, weird. I haven't seen it and I absolutely thought the same thing. e: more :iiam:?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I feel like parenthood must be a constant struggle to not just rapidly age into a skeleton and decay into dust

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

credburn posted:

You dorks, you can sing anything to the tune of anything.

- any goon ever, before posting parody song lyrics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Reminded me of some more Cleopatra FactsTM
from a while ago that I found pretty entertaining.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I listened to a lecture series on ancient Egypt a bit ago and was entertained to find out how many Cleopatras there were. Cleopatras were just all over the place back then, up to and including including the famous Cleopatra's sister, Cleopatra.

Unreal_One posted:

This is disputed! Some think that Cleopatra's sister Cleopatra was actually her mother Cleopatra, who may or may not be the Cleopatra married to her predecessor.

Also the fact that she was so unegyptian that she was very possibly a curly haired redhead.