Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Powered Descent posted:

Bobby Darin's rendition of Mack the Knife was better than Sinatra's. Fight me.

Ella Fitzgerald's trumps both, especially since she blanks on the lyrics and confesses that to the live audience without missing a beat. Just starts ad-libbing like she's in a street rap battle.

I will fight all y'all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

By the by did you know that the best rendition of "My Way" after mine in Hummpub's karaoke at 14:00 on a weekday is Nina Simone's?

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
Bouncer: "Isis Snowden, born 9/11? Get outa here with this fake ID!"

Also, my great niece is named Isis and she was born only about 3-4 months before the terrorist group's name was widely circulated. She has always had it rough.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I honestly hadn't even made the connection in this thread until people started being more explicit about it. I'm happy to report that those has-been terrorist losers have never managed to replace the Egyptian goddess in my mind.

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 12:22 on Dec 18, 2023

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My son's nickname sounds like the Arabic acronym for ISIS. He once introduced himself to a Middle Eastern salesman who was like, "Yyyeah, maybe stick to your full name."

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Hirayuki posted:

My son's nickname sounds like the Arabic acronym for ISIS. He once introduced himself to a Middle Eastern salesman who was like, "Yyyeah, maybe stick to your full name."

Not sure that going around and introducing yourself as "Nicepiss" is going to help the cause much.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Hirayuki posted:

Kinda hoping it's Dashiell because that's fuckin hilarious.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I say drop the nickname entirely and just be yourself, little Osama.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

Kinda hoping it's Dashiell because that's fuckin hilarious.
Yeah. It's never been an issue outside of that one guy kind of cocking his head at my poor kid introducing himself.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Random one - watching an old Janet Jackson video & saw a familiar face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0dqk6Vybeo

Didn't realize Djimon Hounsou of Gladiator, Blood Diamond & Guardians of the Galaxy was in this almost 35 year old classic. I swear the dude doesn't age, I need to find whatever fountain of youth these people know about lol

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
When you go to a McDonald's, they say "welcome back" because you've been to one before.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 10:08 on Dec 19, 2023

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ok here's one I like much better, this was a joy to discover

Speedy, my pet turtle, is not trying to tell us to stop when we scratch her shell butt and she starts wigglin away. It turns out she actually really likes it, as tragically she has no way to itch her own rear end. I don't think even she knew we could do that for her. This is possibly the most satisfied little turtle ever?

https://i.imgur.com/gTiMfia.mp4

She has been traveling around the house getting butt scratches from my whole family since we learned this pleases her. She did not want to go back to bed in her terrarium tonight. Afterward she came over to me and stuck only her butt out so I could scratch nothing else :3:

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 10:31 on Dec 19, 2023

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Aww, I remember my girlfriend in highschool had a turtle named Bubbles who used to do that. Loved a good butt scratch.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

CJacobs posted:

Speedy, my pet turtle,

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Ella Fitzgerald's trumps both, especially since she blanks on the lyrics and confesses that to the live audience without missing a beat. Just starts ad-libbing like she's in a street rap battle.

I will fight all y'all!

"What's the next chorus to this song now? This is the one, now, I don't knoooow" is so great. I also like the part where she does a Louie Armstrong impression (specifically from Live in Berlin, but she might have done it other times). Not a thing I just realized, but Ella Fitzgerald rules.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I just found out that the version of Body Movin' by The Beastie Boys that I know isn't the original, it's a remix by Fatboy Slim.

This one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvRBUw_Ls2o

CW: slapstick gore, I guess?

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 21:39 on Dec 19, 2023

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Hyperlynx posted:

I just found out that the version of Body Movin' by The Beastie Boys that I know isn't the original, it's a remix by Fatboy Slim.

This one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvRBUw_Ls2o

CW: slapstick gore, I guess?

I just realized MCA directed a bunch of their videos

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Obviously The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe is full of extremely blatant parallels to Christianity. However, it only just now clicked for me why one of the main characters is named Peter. :doh:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I dunno, I thought the inverted crucifixion scene was pretty on the nose

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TK-42-1 posted:

I just realized MCA directed a bunch of their videos

:wrong:

That was famed Swiss director Nathanial Hörnblowér, a developer of special film techniques and film stocks who was one of Spike Jonze's early mentors. (And totally not Adam Yauch in a fake mustache doing a weird inconsistent accent)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W53CwCwSbR0

Hörnblowér was a controversial figure, he famously pissed off a lot of Hollywood people when he crashed the stage during the 1994 MTV Music Awards after Spike Jonze lost out on 'best music video director' for his work on Sabotage to REM's Everybody Hurts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lljcHzLLFoU

Here's some behind-the-scenes footage of Yauch directing the music video for Intergalactic. Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4zwkRkuQZw

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Random one - watching an old Janet Jackson video & saw a familiar face
Just wait 'til you find Paula Abdul.

CJacobs posted:

Ok here's one I like much better, this was a joy to discover

Speedy, my pet turtle, is not trying to tell us to stop when we scratch her shell butt and she starts wigglin away. It turns out she actually really likes it, as tragically she has no way to itch her own rear end. I don't think even she knew we could do that for her. This is possibly the most satisfied little turtle ever?
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7040668362283765039

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I just realised that in Spanish, a leading "h" is silent. That's why "hombre" sounds like "ombray" and why my new colleague Hernan introduced himself as "Ernan".

It's just a silent letter. Easy! We've got lots of those already, so that's simple enough to wrap my head around.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Gotta make way for that j

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Baron von Eevl posted:

Gotta make way for that j

What's that one do?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It goes "huh"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hyperlynx posted:

What's that one do?

Why don't you tell us,........Jyperlinx

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Made an absolute fool of myself typing "Ola" in texts and emails before finding out the actual spelling

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

you pronounce the h in hacer and its conjugations

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

So h is silent and j is h. What's j then? G?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

rollick posted:

Made an absolute fool of myself typing "Ola" in texts and emails before finding out the actual spelling

It's cool, just pretend it was Portuguese

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Hyperlynx posted:

So h is silent and j is h. What's j then? G?

It's pronounced "hif"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
El Giphy means the boss

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

I just realised that in Spanish, a leading "h" is silent. That's why "hombre" sounds like "ombray"

No it doesn't.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hyperlynx posted:

I just realised that in Spanish, a leading "h" is silent. That's why "hombre" sounds like "ombray" and why my new colleague Hernan introduced himself as "Ernan".

It's just a silent letter. Easy! We've got lots of those already, so that's simple enough to wrap my head around.

Wait until you hear how they pronounce 'ska'

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

rollick posted:

That’s fine

hawowanlawow posted:

you pronounce the h in hacer and its conjugations

That’s not

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
English laugh like this: hahaha
Spanish laugh like this: jajaja
Indonesians laugh like this: wkwkwk
Finns laugh like this:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

jajaja xD

Yeah, ola technically means wave, but it's pretty obvious what you actually meant.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
Homer and Marge Simpson are millenials.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

They're Gen X because that show ended 23 years ago after the final episode: Behind the Laughter.

Good run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If you had actually watched Behind The Laughter you'd have known that they had stories for years.