Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Memento posted:

Let me tell you guys about a town called Scunthorpe...

Fun side note: when I used to be soundguy for a music venue, one of our regular (and very popular) acts was a group from Scunthorpe. My boss, who handled promotion, was always frustrated by sending out press releases to local papers and tv/radio stations via email or online submission forms, only to have them bounced back by bots for containing "vulgar language".

fake edit: huh, seems like we weren't the only one with that issue:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scunthorpe_problem

There's some interesting examples in that article. Maybe the Stuff I Just Figured Out is that I never got a call on some job applications because putting Magna Cum Laude on my resume got it tossed for potentially being a :gizz: reference!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Harvey Weinstein is not Harvey Fierstein.

I don't follow Hollywood news, but would occasionally hear blurbs about this guy Harvey having sexually harassed kajillions of women, and kept wondering why and how the obviously flaming gay dude who played Karl on the Simpsons would do this.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

About a year ago my husband and I got a free hand-me-down iPad from his family.

Important facts:
1. My husband hates Apple products
2. He's been in the grocery business for years

I just realized that the unlock code he picked when he reset it is the PLU number on all banana stickers.

Edit: yes, it was a deliberate choice on his part, and a joke it took me a year to figure out

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 22:05 on Mar 4, 2018

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Right? I love infinitesimally in-joke humor like that. Lemme just cross-cross post what I just put over in the GWS industry thread:

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I was just posting over in "PYF things you just figured out", and the subject of the post reminded me of this bit of BOH humor. First place I worked when I moved to Roanoke, they had a picture of this fine actor on the door to the fridge:

it was the Christopher Walk-In :downsrim:

That one took me a hot minute to get, but when I did, it was pure gold. (For those of you fortunate enough to have never worked food service, the big refrigerator where you keep all your cold stuff is called a walk-in, like a walk-in closet)

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 00:18 on Mar 5, 2018

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

I would have gone with orange.

I actually asked why banana and not orange. Oranges have multiple PLUs, depending on the variety (navel, mandarin, etc). Bananas are all just 4011, or have a 9 up front if they're organic, like all organic produce. Plus bananas are inherently funnier than oranges, I guess.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Randaconda posted:

It's funny how the first OHW he did started with him breaking his own rule, since A-Ha was extremely successful for a long period of time.

Well, here's me posting stuff I didn't know. I'm old enough to remember when the "take on me" video first aired on MTV, but had no idea they weren't a one hit wonder. Can't say I know a single other song by them, and I used to be a manager for a used CD store. :psyduck:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Takin' care of blisters, and working overtime

(What? Made sense to young me, hearing it on scratchy radio. The guy's been working overtime, of course he's got blisters.)

One that I actually heard properly, but since my husband sings it this way, I can't un-hear it, is "therrrrre's a bathroom/on the right"

I think it was this thread that taught me that it's not "just like the one-winged dove", but a "white-winged dove". Even though I know it now, still can't train my brain to hear it right.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

AFewBricksShy posted:

I realize it's part of the joke but Rick Astley being a pale redhead (redundant?) really threw me when that went viral. I had never seen the video and just assumed he was a black dude.

Back when that song originally came out, and radio stations had actual DJs (yeah, yeah, I'm old), I remember laughing my rear end off at a short Weird Al-esque parody one station did that had the line "I sound like Billy Ocean, but look like Howdy Dudey". Spot on.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Man, I was thought this would a game changer for SA-Mart, but it appears to only sort by the usual tags, not the selling vs. buying. I'm always on the lookout for the rare buying tags as I like to try my hand at some of "make me some art" or "I need a quick photoshop job" commissions for quick scratch.

Still cool, though.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

bell jar posted:

My job is to develop POS software and its hard to do it with a straight face most of the time

In a similar vein, I hail from NY, where our state-wide standardized school final exams were called the NYS Regents. Imagine my amusement when I moved to Virginia, where the equivalent is called the Standards of Learning, or SOL for short. Every day I'd drive past the high school where the marquee sign would say stuff my brain would interpret as "Get Ready for poo poo Outta Luck, May 3-17" or somesuch. Newspaper headlines about SOLs are comedy gold for me, too.

(There was also a brushless car wash up the street, called TLC : Touchless Loving Carwash. Being a goon who lurked quite a bit before registering, I knew the filters, and it made my brain automatically re-write that as the Touchless loving Carwash every time I drove past it.)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Is this, like, a recent discovery? I haven't been to dentist in years thanks to US healthcare/insurance sucking and my fear of dentists, but back when I was a kid, I got those fluoride treatments where you sunk your teeth into a bite guard filled with horrible tasting goo for five minutes. Then the hygienist would rinse my mouth out with the water-pik spray thing. What was the loving point, then?

It's also blowing my mind because as a 10 year old in the 80's, I once proudly announced to my dentist that I used to rub toothpaste on my teeth and leave it there "because it can work longer!" and he chastised me for it.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Tunicate posted:

My team of butt etymologists is the best in the world, but they refuse to release their butt sources after a fierce internal debate.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

There's a reason they call them "stink bugs" because I just smushed one with my bare hands (didn't have a rolled up newspaper or whatnot handy) and now I'm washing my hands like Lady Macbeth. Bleeeeurrrgh

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Forums user Inceltown's name is a play on "Tinseltown".

(I think? I don't know where the syllable emphasis is on "incel"; in my head it was always like IN-SELL, both getting equal weight. But if I'm correct, that's clever.)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Pookah posted:

Nah, PS2s are basically indestructible. I worked in a place with a couple of hundred of them running all day every day and they hardly ever broke down. For months I had one on my desk that would only detect the disc when the machine was horizontal but would only load it up when it was vertical, but once it was up and running, it was fine.

I had an original PS that worked fine for 10 years until it just stopped recognizing discs anymore. Forget how I figured it out, but it loaded up just fine if you flipped it upside down and kept it that way. I ended up gluing little feet to the top so it wouldn't sit directly on the domed lid and rock after you flipped it.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Warren Ellis, acclaimed comic book writer, and Warren Ellis, musician/composer who played with Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, are two distinct people.

One of them linked from their blog to my website ages ago and crashed the site with all the traffic (this was in like 2004 when big bandwidth wasn't cheap as chips for a poor, no-name musician like me). Now I don't have a clue which one it was, and feel like an idiot for trumpeting this story to comic nerds and music fans alike.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

lmao thats fantastic

Update: I did some deep digging in my emails on old hard drives, 'cause I'm furloughed and have nothing better to do. Based on an email from ten years ago, I'm pretty sure it's the comics author Ellis. I have mad respect for both of them, but goddamn do I feel awkward not knowing they weren't the same dude. I just thought he was he some sort of polymath that wrote Transmetropolitan and also hung out with Nick Cave on his off time. :shrug:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

I would love a sequel called Permian Park where people encounter Dimetrodon.

I want Oligocene Park, just nothing but Baluchitherium and Glyptodons and poo poo.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

purple death ray posted:

Yeah I think they would be loving thrilled to know that they'd convinced a kid in the Netherlands that they were actually Kung Fu masters

Plus the fact that you were strutting around the Netherlands wearing their shirt while holding this belief. You should absolutely write to them.

My comparatively lame discovery is that in the chorus of "Psycho Killer", it's not "fi-fi-fi-fire, fi-fi-fi-fi-fire fire". It's "far", and never caught the word "better" at the end of that line. I was watching something yesterday on TV with closed captioning that used that song and had to pause it to make a :psyduck: look. I've had that wrong for over 30 years.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I was just writing about the use of slurs, and realized while having to count the asterixes while I typed 'em that the common slurs for gay dudes, black people, mentally disabled/challenged and transgender people are all 6 characters.

As an old, Bad Words like "drat" "gently caress" "poo poo" "c***"", etc were broadly referred to as Four-Letter Words because they generally were just that. Doesn't quite work any more, Six-Letter Words are what really deserve an admonishing side-eye.

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 03:50 on Jul 1, 2020

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I picked the union local number in my av text because I formed the union and I just like the number 34. Plus I'm the only member, so I can do what I want. :colbert:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Not so much "just figured out" as "just learned"...

Saturday Night Fever is not a campy, fun romp about disco life in the 70's. Despite being 46 years old, I'd never seen it before (maybe bits and pieces on TV). I was house/pet-sitting for someone recently and they had it in their DVD collection. "This should be fun!" I think and pop it in.

Okay, was not expecting so many f-bombs being dropped. Oof, and n-bombs and the slur for Latinx that rhymes with "quick". How did they ever show this on TV?

...Dang, they're just straight up talking about teens doing speed and stuff. Ah, well, it was the 70's. Still, this sure isn't Grease.

...Did John Travolta just call that woman a c***? Repeatedly? :stare:

:catstare: ...OK, I just watched 3 rape scenes and a suicide THIS IS NOT A CAMPY FUN ROMP

And then the ending is just :psyduck:

If you're as curious as to WTF as I was: the 1977 movie was a hit, and the soundtrack sold like mad. Hollywood said "poo poo, we're losing a ton of market having this gritty R-rated film with a gangbusters soundtrack that teens can't go to see. We'll re-cut it so it gets a PG rating and rake in that sweet, sweet teen money." Which they did. They already had some scenes shot differently in anticipation of getting it on TV eventually, so they spliced those in, cut the really violent/graphic stuff, and re-released it in theaters.

HBO would apparently show the PG version during the day, but the R-rated version in the wee hours. Which explains how it got on TV, and why I had no freaking idea how dark and brutal the "cheesy movie about disco" was.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

I've never seen it either for whatever reason but you've just sold me on it

It really is an interesting movie, and I'm glad to have seen it in full finally. In fact, while doing my little bit of research on it, I learned that it was one of Gene Siskel's favorite movies of all time; Roger Ebert said Gene had watched it at least 17 times. He even bought the iconic white suit at an auction.

The DVD version we watched was the director's cut, which includes all the dark/graphic bits plus some extra scenes that were shot but not in the R-rated theatrical release. They used those scenes to pad out the PG version. So it's basically as complete a version you'll see.

It definitely has some funny moments ("you hit my hair!", and when Tony asks a woman he's about to bang "you got one of those, uh, IOU's?"), but it's not goofy popcorn sing-along fun like Grease.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’ve never bothered seeing Saturday Night Fever because I thought it was going to be some kind of dumb insubstantial dance movie. I’ll have to check it out and see how many locations I recognize from when I lived in Bay Ridge.

We paused the movie to go outside for a cigarette right after a scene where Travolta keeps saying "coffee" in the thickest accent ever. CAAAAWWWffee. "You're loving this, aren't you?" my husband asks. I'm from Lawn Guyland, and even though I haven't lived there for 20 years, you betta bet I was fuckin' lovin' it and slipped back into my old accent for the rest of the night.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

The guy that plays Baltar on BSG is not the same guy who plays the doctor on DS9.

Edit: they look similar and have similar accents to my American ears, but the Comet channel has been showing reruns of both shows back to back every weeknight and my brain finally went "wait a second..."

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 15:58 on Sep 25, 2020

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

This discussion about cultural appropriation had been civil and (for me at least) rather enlightening. This thread isn't quite the place for it, but I enjoy a derail with good posts on a subject because I learn/think about things I might not otherwise.

That said, food-related posts that are "all Americans put mayo on everything" or "the entirety of the UK boils everything" are bad derails. Please, just, dont. Thanks!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

David is tall. Very tall.

:psyduck: This is like when I visited the MOMA for the first time and learned that Dali's The Persistence of Memory is small. Very small.

(9 x 13 inches)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Pookah posted:

I can't believe I just figured out that fireworks suck donkey balls because they make my dog, (and many others like him) extremely unhappy, and they are completely pointless except for making mush-brained morons briefly happy to hear a bang and a bright light.

Fuckin moth people upsetting my poor doggy :(

I can't believe I just figured out that I'm a "mush-brained moron" for enjoying thunderstorms --- nature's fireworks -- even though they would send my cat hiding under the bed. gently caress me for liking bright lights and bangy noises.

(I feel for your doggie, but seriously, that was a little harsh, dontcha think?)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Okay:

[MOD HAT OFF]

I just didn't like being called a mush-brained idiotedit: moron for liking shiny booming things. Like fireworks, thunderstorms, raves, rock concerts... y'know, things many humans enjoy. Which animals do not.

[MOD HAT ON]

That said, this is a dumb derail that is just gonna end in stupid slapfights. Let's drop the subject and get back to ridiculous etymology, mondegreens, and the fact that Gaius Baltar is not the doctor in DS9.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I was also a bit crankypants thanks to a rough day, so I probably came across a bit short. Apologies for that.

But because PYF rocks, we talked it out like adults. And even had a special guest appearance by BIRD!

Pookah: are you familiar with Thundershirts? I used to live in Williamsburg, VA, where not only were personal fireworks cheap and plentiful, but Colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gardens would put on big pro displays that freaked out every dog in a 15 mile radius on Independence Day, Xmas, New Year's... any excuse to blow poo poo up.

I knew a bunch of dog owners that swore by Thundershirts, they're a snug vest that makes dogs chill out during fireworks/thunderstorms (we get plenty of those in VA summers, too).

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Mister Mind posted:

They got tired of people in hot cars thinking they got shot in the brain. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-biscuit-bullet/

My mom had one blow up in her car, and it was winter in upstate NY. :iiam:

(True to Mom form, she sent a letter complaining about it to Pillsbury, and a fuckton of coupons arrived in the mail. Cinnamon rolls for daaaaays.)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Not quite "figured it out", but incidentally learned while looking up the legality of selling deer antlers at my place of work:

I have committed a crime against both the Commonwealth of Virginia, and Mother Earth. Two years ago I was homeless and living in a camper on a friend's farm property. One afternoon I was sitting outside the camper and saw a 3-foot rattlesnake slithering up into my "house". In defense of my cat and myself, I ran screaming for the farm owner to dispatch it, and he grabbed his gun and blew its head off.

Turns out it's an endangered species, which you are not legally allowed to kill even if it's threatening you (I'm not sure what I was supposed to do, call 911 and wait for them to get up to East Bumfuck while my cat theoretically got bit and died trying to kill it for me?).

Kinda feel like poo poo, now that I learned that.

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 23:30 on Jan 30, 2022

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's when Stevie Nicks wears a shawl and spins in a circle.

Yeah, growing up in my part of 1970's/80's US, the word meant "people from Somewhere in Europe that travel around in wagons, usually to carnivals, dressed like hippies/peasants. There's an old woman who will tell your fortune and/or put a curse on you. She's got heavy makeup, a beauty mark, and big gold hoop earrings."

And, yes, that was my totally"innocent" Halloween costume when I was like 7 or 8. Ugh. It was quick and easy, my mom just made me up and threw some of her vast collection of old hippie clothes/scarves/jewelry on me. But that's not a pic I'm throwing online.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

This one's a twofer, imo.

Thanks to working retail during the holidays, I have to hear an incredibly repetitive Pandora mix of Xmas songs for 8 hours a day. One song that drives me particularly nuts is "Little Saint Nick" by the Beach Boys.

Having heard this song over 100 times in the last few weeks, I finally paid attention to the lyrics, and this repeated line made me snap:

"Christmas comes this time each year"

Wow did you just figure that out?! That the holiday that falls on a specific day every loving year, it comes this time each year? That's amazing, you geniuses!

It is perhaps the stupidest lyric I have ever heard. So the Beach Boys figured out how calendars work, and I figured out reason #352 why I can't stand them.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Imperador do Brasil posted:

One of my favorite songs of all time.

I can’t believe people use that song as a feel-good Christmas song lol

Same, but Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah". It kept coming up on the Pandora holiday mix at work. Thought maybe it was a fluke of the algorithm, but nope, it's been covered by various artists and slapped on holiday albums. Wtf?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

freeedr posted:

When I was a kid we were given this movie in place of Flash Gordon at the video store. Fun was had by all

Lol, that reminded me of a light-hearted prank my college bf, Bob, played on me and my friends back on the early 90's.

There's a movie called "Spirit of '76", it's a goofy, campy comedy about the 70's (with a great cameo by DEVO). Fun stoner stuff, as I recall.

Anyways my roommates and I had acquired some weed and I asked Bob, who worked for a mom & pop video rental store, to bring it home after his shift so my friends could see it for the first time.

Someone else already had it rented, so he brought home "Spirit of Seventy-Sex" instead, and didn't tell us until the credits rolled. And that's how I learned that Ben Franklin invented the vibrator by attaching a "crumpet stuffer" to a kite during a thunderstorm.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I just realized we're on page 420 and no one has posted anything about weed.

For content, ummm... I just realized I haven't seen a bud with seeds in it for years now, and have no idea where new plants come from. Used to be a pleasant, relaxing ritual for me in college, getting an 8th on a Friday night and sorting the good stuff from the seeds and stems while listening to live house music mixes on the radio.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I bought a new 3-pack of Hanes compression socks recently because my feet and ankles swell up really bad from standing on concrete floors all day at work.

First couple times I wore them I thought "these really suck rear end, they compress my calves nicely but drat do my feet hurt".

Today I tried one more time since they were the only kind left in the drawer, and while rolling the first one over my foot, noticed a tiny "R" stitched on the toe. What the...? Not an "H" for Hanes?

Yes, there is a left sock and a right sock. So those previous times I probably was wearing them backwards, or two lefties or something.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

Bobby Darin's rendition of Mack the Knife was better than Sinatra's. Fight me.

Ella Fitzgerald's trumps both, especially since she blanks on the lyrics and confesses that to the live audience without missing a beat. Just starts ad-libbing like she's in a street rap battle.

I will fight all y'all!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

root beer posted:

You should crosspost this in the Blessed thread

Hope you don't mind CJacobs, but I did that when you made your post about shell scritchies! You and Speedy are very welcome over there. :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Didn't realize it myself, but a "duh, of course" moment:

Was looking at a 1940's issue of Life magazine at work and chuckling at the ads. One boasted the powers of olive oil and palm oil in this new soap that won't ruin your hands!

Palmolive