Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Jaime Lee Curtis did not play the mom from Malcolm in the Middle.

For 15 years I was mistaken.

15 years.

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 05:21 on Jul 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Super Waffle posted:

:stare:

guess what I just figured out guys

lmao

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Receipt, like the noun, is a past participle of the verb receive.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Post Your Favorite (or Request) > Stuff You Can't Believe You Just Figured Out - Questionable etymology ITT

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Ryoshi posted:

I just figured out that this isn't even one of the food threads

Oh hey, me too

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I don't like report-shaming too often because we don't want to scare people off from using the report function as intended. However we do get plenty of really goofy reports.

reported for "helldumping"
reported for "unmarked NWS"
reported for being a "shitlord pubbie posting in the wrong thread"

I didn't crop LoB's name because it's LoB. He gets reported a lot :allears:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Besesoth posted:

Last night I discovered that Julie Bowen and Ali Larter aren't the same person. When I first saw Bowen on Boston Legal I thought "oh, it's Niki from Heroes!" and never thought about it again. I only found out my mistake because I was going through Bowen's IMDB page to find out what else she'd been in and was surprised that Heroes wasn't listed.

I am really bad with faces, like pretty exceptionally bad, and I constantly mix up big-name actors with less famous ones that look sort of, vaguely, similar to them.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0333982 this person is not kevin spacey.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0573354 not topher grace.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0570385 DEFINITELY not christopher walken.

sometimes when I see an actor and go 'omg is that...?' I am so far off-base my boyfriend thinks I'm just loving with him. I never am...

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Break it up please.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I really wish I had some content to contribute but I've just figured out I can't make myself figure things out on command.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

genetic_knockout posted:

I totally thought this too!! Except in reverse. I am totally the stereotypical goon with borderline prosopagnosia.

I've disliked Susan Sarandon for years because of one particular role she played that I just really couldn't stand. Turns out:

Not the same person.

Lesley Ann Warren is the lady I can't stand. :downs:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Yes, but, Sophie Bremmer :argh:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

That's a hell of a genre shift :lol:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Fun side note: when I used to be soundguy for a music venue, one of our regular (and very popular) acts was a group from Scunthorpe. My boss, who handled promotion, was always frustrated by sending out press releases to local papers and tv/radio stations via email or online submission forms, only to have them bounced back by bots for containing "vulgar language".

fake edit: huh, seems like we weren't the only one with that issue:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scunthorpe_problem

There's some interesting examples in that article. Maybe the Stuff I Just Figured Out is that I never got a call on some job applications because putting Magna Cum Laude on my resume got it tossed for potentially being a :gizz: reference!

quote:

The word "rear end" may be replaced by "butt", resulting in "clbuttic" for "classic" and "buttbuttinate" for "assassinate".[29]

:laffo:

I'm a child.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

syscall girl posted:

Hitler or Stalin or Mao may have had the highest death counts but Genghis had the highest rape count.

And the horde did so much damage it's hard to compare numbers there.

(Mao was working on the rape bit but he was fat and lazy)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Man, I really wish the moderation queue had been processed earlier in the night. But here we are. Do not make rape jokes in this subforum.

The probation you have queued was for three days, but after this quadruple-down I am very much inclined to increase it.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

ArtIsResistance posted:

I don't care if this thread is a safe space you're an idiot

Look I mean, you're in a sub moderated by a person that mixes up Currie Graham with Kevin Spacey.

Michael McMillian with Topher Grace.

Stephen McHattie with Christopher Walken.

We're all idiots here.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

neither did I. :shepface:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Jerry Cotton posted:

JUST PUT IT BACK IN THE TITLE ALREADY

well since you asked so nicely

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Intoluene posted:

You remain the bird/mod we deserve.
:3: ty, friend.

Randaconda posted:

can you add "again"
I suppose.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

purple death ray posted:

You dumb mother fuckers

excellent alternative thread title

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Inzombiac posted:

"Shot through the heart and you're to blame."

NOT

"...and you're too late."

My life is a lie

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

syscall girl posted:

There's a "joke" in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory about Veruca Salt and her relationship with her father that goes over most people's heads.

Since this question was never loving answered I clicked back through to this quote to glare at the screen and try to determine if you were trolling or not, and the stuff I can't believe I just figured out is that your avatar is Rachael from Blade Runner

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Powaqoatse posted:

Don't actually ban syscall, I like them. Just please we need closure :o:

If I banned him I'd never know the drat answer either

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'd never heard that phrase before today so now I feel dumber :downs:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

iajanus posted:

Omg I love it

:same:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Hirayuki posted:

And it's spelled "minuscule".

well gently caress me running.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Baron von Eevl posted:

edit: no poo poo I thought half these posts were fake holy poo poo. Restaurateur? Really?

To be fair to you this thread is basically a series of goddamn bear traps interspersed with moments of bizarre revelation.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

(Hi, Literally a Bird)

:3:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Barudak posted:

At least you arent like my mother who pronounced it Chick-fill-ah and thought it was supposed to describe the three step process of ordering chicken, becoming full, and then saying “ah” in satisfaction.

:allears:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Hyperlynx posted:

Oh my god. I've just realised in the song "Daria" by Cake, he's not singing

"I won't be soothed over like,
Smoothed over like milk,
Silk, a bedspread, or a quilt,
I sing on a cake,
Or a serene translucent lake."

He's singing ICING ON A CAKE. :doh:

I have tickets to the Del Mar music festival in a couple weeks that I mostly bought because Cake is gonna be there and they've been my second favorite band for the last fifteen years (first favorite I guess technically since Page isn't in BNL anymore). Found out a couple days ago I probably won't actually get to see them because the two artists my boyfriend wants to see are back to back, on the same stage, while Cake is gonna be on a different stage and quite neatly occupying the same timeslot as inconveniently as possible :sigh:

This post doesn't really have anything to do with anything aside from my general frustration at KABOO's scheduling and desire to vent

e: new page, nailed it

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh for sure, but the intent of the tickets was as a together activity, not a, gently caress off and go see my band while you gently caress off and see your bands, activity. Ah well.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:laffo:

Well, so long as they don't pull a BNL and McCrea fucks off in 2019 I'll be okay (ask me about getting talked out of my tickets to one of BNL's last shows before they went public with the split please don't actually ask me)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Just spotted this on FB and thought of you guys

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

JoelJoel posted:

I sometimes write nice notes and haïkus to beer companies I like asking them to put more free t-shirts and hats in their cases and they will often send me a little care package with swag and stuff. Haven't done it in a while because I have enough Beau's coaster and Jr toques, but it's something to do if you've got too much free time. They always seem to appreciate the poems.

Never underestimate the power of asking boldly but (important) not obnoxiously for swag

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

This guy

is not Archie Bunker.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Queen Combat posted:

You know, a lot of conversations make more sense now.

:hfive:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

My favorite movie genre has a name. It's techno-thriller, and not, as I'd previously been using, "you know, a horror movie, but it's the Internet and SCARY."

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I was thinking specifically of the movie called Cam, but those examples all work too :lol:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

stop telling my secrets

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I have conflated the movies "You've Got Mail" and "When Harry Met Sally" for years.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Jerry Cotton posted:

Just out of curiosity, have you seen either one?
I have not, maybe if I had --

HaB posted:

I mean, you can watch those back to back and 10 minutes later still conflate them.
:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

AFewBricksShy posted:

Is everyone confusing When Harry Met Sally for Sleepless in Seattle? I've never seen any of them, but I know 2 of them have Hanks and Ryan and When Harry Met Sally has Billy Crystal and the fake orgasm scene.

No, it's that every time I heard the movie title "When Harry Met Sally" I vaguely remembered the cover art for "You've Got Mail" since my brain just literally didn't care enough to remember they're different movies. I definitely knew it at one point though!!!