Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Memento posted:

Animals (an album I absolutely love btw) is about "oh no is there no more to life than just being a successful wage earner? Are we really all just sheep? Are the government pigs?!?"

Fifty years ago this was a little more wild and out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Captain Hygiene posted:

Not to mention

She also plays the flaming red head Irish peasant who drowns with her children in ‘Titanic’.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Captain Monkey posted:

Kalimoxto/calimocho has been a popular cocktail for ages in Spain.

Cocktail seems a fancy word for what (as I remember) kids mix up and drink sitting around a fountain in the nearby plaça.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Rowan Atkinson was in Not The Nine O’Clock News and Blackadder, very popular in the UK.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I can walk my shiba inu past a firework party with no issue, he doesn’t give a single gently caress about them. This is the same animal that jumps six feet in the air if the wind blows a paper bag round a corner in front of him.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What if british english adopted kanji to make things clearer

How have you seen my handwriting.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Failed Imagineer posted:

Not to minimise your good work, but I would say that your friend dug himself out of the hole, you were just kind enough to provide the shovel

This is the best way to do it. Teach a man to fish etc.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Failed Imagineer posted:

Back in the 90s yeah, if I listened to them now I would probably only listen to their 80s stuff. And I saw them a couple of years ago because my buddy bought me a ticket and they absolutely sucked rear end. Still, weird to act like they weren't the biggest metal band of all time...

Similar. You literally couldn’t escape the Black Album in the early 90’s, but I haven’t listened to it in 25 years, or anything they did after it. Still listen to MoP and AJFA occasionally though.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

mng posted:

Lucifina Teufel?

Satanica Diablo.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

MariusLecter posted:

People talk about Galileo being persecuted by the Church but he got poo poo from other scientists too that wasn't based on religious objections.

Ignaz Semmelweis reduced instances of puerperal fever to a level almost equal to modern hospitals around two centuries ago by having everyone in his natal hospital wash their hands properly. Unfortunately, although he knew and could prove people died less in his hospital, he had no idea why, because germ theory hadn’t been invented yet. This failure of intellectual rigour caused the mainstream medical profession of the day to completely ignore his work, which allegedly was the cause of his mental breakdown and subsequent death in a mental hospital.

(I recalled all this because it cropped up in my research into Céline’s ties to Nazism; it transpired that his doctoral thesis was on Semmelweis, who turned out to be a far more interesting person than Céline).

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Here's the Wikipedia article for Semmelweis, should anybody else be curious, because I looked him up after reading your post and am so distressed over the way this person's life panned out. Jesus.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignaz_Semmelweis

It’s like one of those Cassandra-type movies where the hero knows exactly what’s going to happen but can’t convince anyone of the incoming doom. :smith:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Tunicate posted:

that's basically a myth, in the same way that columbus discovering the earth was round is a myth - in both cases these are people who believed something that was obviously false, who in have been mythologized and assigned modern beliefs instead of the ones the actually held, then treated as matyrs.

For instance, Semmelweiss' TRUE belief was specifically 'childbed fever is ONLY caused by pieces of corpses ('cadaverous particles') getting into women - so doctors who do dissections of cadavers spread it'.

To which the medical establishment sensibly responded 'so why do we also see this disease in hospitals that don't do dissections, then?'

Semmelweis certainly didn't believe it was a contagious disease - he's on record saying it definitely isn't!

People asked him for more data (since childbed fever was a disease that was well known to come in outbreaks, and he could have gotten lucky). He didn't publish any additional data for FOURTEEN YEARS - and in the meantime, even in his handwashing ward there was another outbreak of childbed fever.

Having had his 'no corpse hands = no fever' theory disproven, he revised his theory from 'cadaverous particles' being 'pieces of corpses', to 'things that can be produced inside living people as well', and blamed a lady on the same floor who had uterine cancer (given his lack of tact, probably with some comment like 'your poison womb is making the ICU too crowded').

Note that he wasn't even the first person to say 'hey maybe bad stuff on people's hands causes childbed fever', James Young Simpson published that theory ten years earlier - but he didn't say 'oh and that bad stuff is all corpse pieces and is the only way you get it' - making Semmelweis both late and wrong.

Ack, someone needs to update his wikipedia page!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

RoboRodent posted:

In English, it gets kind of awkward to say a word that begins with the same sound the last word ended with.

It's "brusselsprout."

And Priminister.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

cyberia posted:

It's more like "shoog" as in the first syllable of sugar.

And not ‘Shuggy’, like I always thought.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Milo and POTUS posted:

They're clapping to emphasize. Yes it would be obnoxious. No, nobody really does it in real life

Not more than once. anyway.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
In fact they easily eat people, according to multiple gangster legends.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

DrBouvenstein posted:

WTF? That was, like, the one little "fun" thing about going to church as a kid, feeling you're sticking it to "the man" by having a sip of wine.

Sike! It was actually blood.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Hyperlynx posted:

Sadly we'll never know for sure, out here, because that vid is blocked in Australia.

A vacuum of humour and charisma, you’re not missing anything.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Down By Law is essential if you like to see Waits acting.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Ma’am is a shibboleth. Pronouncing it ‘marm’ marks you as clueless to anyone on the far right hand side of the class bell curve, in the UK anyway.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Cat Hassler posted:

It’s very good! Watched it again the other night. Only downside is it isn’t fun to watch Kevin Spacey anymore

It’s so irritating that he’s good in it, the stupid prick.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Rascar Capac posted:

There's also the Miami Vice version:

If memory serves he played three different dudes in Miami Vice.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

packetmantis posted:

Panther cowboys???

Cowboys From Hell in fact.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

packetmantis posted:

:allears: This is funny in an "almost there dude!" sort of way.

A lot of the world’s problems can be explained by the way his train of thought works. “I don’t know” is sufficient, dude. Maybe add something like “maybe one day someone smarter than me will figure it out”.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Captain DIEgiene posted:

Usually it's the other way around

:piaa:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Sydney Greenstreet was 62 years old, diabetic, and 300lbs when he debuted in The Maltese Falcon.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

exquisite tea posted:

Guinea was commonly used as a slur against Italians from Southern Italy + Sicily, who often had a darker complexion than people from the North (hence they were "black").

“Now if that’s a fact, tell me: am I lying?”

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

The Mighty Moltres posted:

gently caress the law, and gently caress any jury who would convict you.
Any aggressive animal, regardless of its status, should be killed.

Aggressive animal detected.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Aren’t those to help visually impaired people not walk into traffic?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I’m sure I’m not the only person that considers Ska Sucks by Propagandhi to be the only barely acceptable ska song.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
You’ll be telling me Elvis should play ska next!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Weird name for the Shah of Iran.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Captain Splendid posted:

All I remember from Matlock is the cable car and how the train to get there was a single carriage.

The only way I remember the name is from (I want to say) a DFS advert from the 70’s which listed Matlock as one of its locations (along with Darley Dale, Measham, Droitwich, Cannock and Fenton).

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
It might have been Allied Carpets though.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Apart from Prisoner Cell Block H.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Platystemon posted:

“Forecastle Atheist” is a good username.

There are no atheists in forecastles.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh I just got that

"Forecastle" is pronounced "foc'sle" which sounds like "foxhole"

Thank you, one person :)

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

credburn posted:

I'm oversharing about my mom itt

The Microwave Defence.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also people who went to the effort of checking the data found that the number of disappearances in the area wasn't proportionally higher than any other part of the ocean and many of the reported stories were unverified or incomplete or just plain invented. It's always been a complete beat up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bermuda_Triangle#Criticism_of_the_concept

Simplest way of popping a believer’s bubble is to tell them that insurance companies don’t charge extra for travelling through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Having just checked their Wikipedia pages, neither of them are bears.