Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The technique in general is called "kitbashing", and it's a good way to make sci-fi props. It's kinda like buying a bunch of lego sets and then mixing their parts together to make weird stuff, except you do it with kits instead.

Oh yeah it happens ALL the time, the models guys at ILM used to buy up piles of old kits for greebling.

Here's a fun one: this random doodad hanging off the ceiling in Aliens is the classic Transformers toy Shockwave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ommin posted:

I am going to Vegas for the first time in a couple of weeks just to see this billboard because I do think it is an amazing technological achievement. The wife and I are going to grab a couple of other shows on a long weekend, but neither of us drink heavily or gamble nor are easily persuaded to do so. Weird Vegas seems way more fun than Seedy Vegas.

Eddy Burback did a pilgrimage out to Vegas specifically to experience The Sphere about two months ago. I guess if you're going there in a few weeks then you should probably avoid videos like this so you can go in blind but for everyone else, here's a big ol' video about what it's like to visit the Las Vegas Sphere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN63DDD9Y04

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Philippe posted:

It's not as big as the globe in Stockholm. Oooh it's got lights on it, yawn.

The Stockholm globe is satanic and anyone who prefers it over the obviously superior Vegas Sphere is clearly suffering from stockholm sin dome

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
PYFTYJR: the giant skull on the front of Castle Grayskull is wearing a hat

I have no idea how I never noticed that before now

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DontMockMySmock posted:

Well, there's a pretty big disparity in the sizes of bugs in real life.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The -köping in the various -köpings (Linköping, Jönköping, Norrköping, etc. as well as Chipping, Chipping, Chipping Barnet, Chipping Sodbury et al.) just means shopping i.e. a market. I knew full well that the Swedish word for buy was köpa but I never made the connection.

So if you want to buy a sunshade for the beach you'd go to the köpa cabana?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, you definitely start to feel that type of burn if your hobby is also your job. Let's Plays were that for me for a while back in ~2015-18. I used to do two at once, and college, and then I realized that pace is not fun even if it was fun showing things to you folks here. Taking it slower means it's not a job anymore, which also means it's back to being play not work.

edit: Folks say "do what you love for a living" but in reality it isn't always a good idea. Sometimes you will lose your admiration for that thing by 'having' to do it. But it'll come back if you rest.

There's been a whole lot of major Youtubers burning out and walking away from the gig recently, with several of them posting videos saying "I used to love doing this but then it turned into a job, and the pace to maintain the channel and post content on a weekly basis is crazy relentless and I just can't do this any more"

I can't remember exactly who it was but one person who was running a beloved channel with millions of subscribers said something like "I wouldn't wish this gig on my worst enemy"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Domino's pizza is suchly-called because it contains convict cocks.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Baron von Eevl posted:

Perhaps Jessie is also a woman and the singer wants a woman like Jessie, hence why he wants to be Jessie's girl.

You know what, I'm gonna play along with this charade

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

All the cool scifi writers are banned from the hugo's

It says a lot about the Hugos that I can't tell from first glance which scandal you're referring to

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Conan spinoff character Red Sonja was created by Marvel comics and wasn't originally from the novels. She was loosely based on a Robert E. Howard character with a similar name who was a 16th century gunslinger and not an ancient-era swordswoman

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Philippe posted:

Did the gunslinger still wear a metal bikini?

When Red Sonja debuted back in '73 she actually wore a full chainmail top:

..... but that didn't last long, by '75 they'd already switched over to the chainmail bikini

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The advertising jingle "I'd Like To Buy the World a Coke" wasn't a reworded cover of "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing", it was actually the other way around. Advertising executives came up with the Coke jingle (based on the tune of an earlier song called "True Love and Apple Pie") and it became so popular that they wrote new lyrics and released it as a generic pop song

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
"High noon" (midday) isn't when the sun is at it's highest point in the sky, actual solar noon very rarely falls exactly on 12:00 and during some parts of the year in some parts of the world there might be more than an hour's difference between the two. It also occurs on a slightly different time every day

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

500excf type r posted:

Not sure what you mean by "isn't when the sun is at its highest point" because that is exactly what it is. Its called "HIGH noon" because the sun is the highest and the shadows are the shortest.

It used to mean that back before we had mechanical clocks (the phrase goes back to at least 1370 according to the OED) but it hasn't actually meant that in practice for a long time now. In the 1952 movie High Noon Gary Cooper was always glancing at his pocket watch or the clock on the wall as it got closer to noon, he wasn't running outside to check a sun dial or the length of the shadows

If you can find an example where they stand around measuring the shadows before they agree to start the shoot out I'll concede the point but I don't like your chances, lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
'Galapagos tortoise' is a tautological name since 'galápago' is Spanish for 'tortoise'. Explorers named the islands after the tortoises.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FreudianSlippers posted:

The chai tea of reptiles.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The common houseplant Devil's Ivy aka Pothos isn't actually called Pothos, its proper name is Epipremnum aureum. It used to be classified as part of the pothos genus but it got reclassified in the 60s but everyone still calls it Pothos.

I actually went to a nursery today to try and buy some but they didn't have any Pothos at all, just lots of this Epipremnum bullshit. I didn't think to google it until I got home, lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hirayuki posted:

You can also obtain pothos by asking anybody who has a pothos for a pothos. It'll just take a little while until the cuttings take. I got a full plant when I moved into my dorm in 1995; it's still going strong, and so are all of its clones. They're good plants--enjoy!

Yeah it turns out a friend who already owed me a favour has been propagating a whole lot of :airquote: pothos :airquote:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Maybe I should ask for some bothos instead

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hyperlynx posted:

Really dude? Boarding schools existed before the Harry Potter books came out.

Also JK Rowling was only 17 years old when that music video was shot, lol.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 03:24 on Apr 19, 2024

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
'Podcast' is a portmanteau of 'iPod' and 'broadcast'.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The (unrecognized) African country of Rhodesia and the Rhodes Scholarship were founded by the same guy, mining magnate/philanthropist/mega racist Cecil Rhodes

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hyperlynx posted:

I was just watching a Street Fighter 6 tournament, and thinking it would be funny if people really did yell out the names of attacks when they do them, and then that it'd be funny if, like, soldiers yelled out "SHOOTING GUN!" when they fired, and so on.

Anyway, I just realised that fighter pilots LITERALLY do that. There are radio code words for different kinds of attack. Admittedly "shoryuken!" sounds a lot cooler than "fox three!" but there you go.

I shout Street Fighter moves when I take a big poo poo, makes the experience a whole lot more fun. HADOUKEN!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It's common knowledge that Australia has feral populations of large introduced animals such as camels, horses, deer, cattle, water buffaloes etc but apparently we also have a small number of feral ostriches wandering around the outback: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-02/elusive-ostriches-roam-outback-after-farming-attempts-go-bust/10190990

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Milo and POTUS posted:

My dad told me this was true about sheep and I told my spanish class in high school

Was your dad a big fan of Calvin & Hobbes? :v:

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvlWQyvEI38}