Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Xun posted:

I've recently figured out how the "have your cake and eat it too" phrase even works. It's not having a cake and then eating it, which is perfectly reasonable, it's trying to eat a cake but still have one at the same time :downs:

The problem is that people say "have your cake and eat it too" which doesn't make sense and is stupid when people should be saying "eat your cake and have it too"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Besesoth posted:

Let me guess, you get mad at people who say "head over heels" too.

I don't get mad at all and I thought the expression was stupid myself until Drill Sergeant Snodgrass was kind enough to explain it one day and the lesson stuck

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/scientists-strap-fake-dinosaur-tail-on-chickens-to-discover-how-t-rex-walked-video-9117384.html

Chickens are just evolved dinosaurs

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

treiz01 posted:

When I was a child I spent most of my summers with my Italian grandparents. Every Saturday morning, my Nonno (grandpa) would take me to a snooker hall in little Italy. I always looked forward to these trips, because it meant a ride in his Cadillac and free reign of the snooker hall. As always there were 4 or 5 other Caddies in the parking lot, belonging to the other old men who would have their cappuccino and talk while I played endless hours of Mrs Pac Man and Street Fighter 2. You see, I could play as much as I wanted because the man who ran the snooker hall - which was always oddly empty - would just reach into the till and grab out handfuls of quarters for me.

That's the thing I remember the most, especially being small, are his hands. Despite the fact that he was missing several fingers, or just the tips of fingers, he could hold a lot more change than I could, so I had to be careful when he poured them into my hands. Then he would give me a hot chocolate and a cannoli, and off I went. The other thing I remember the most is that if you slapped all 6 attack buttons on player 1 of street fighter 2, you would change characters at random during combat.

This went on from the time I was very young, chin high to the snooker tables, until I could play on them properly. I didn't realize that I was hanging out with the mafia until about 5 years ago when I first told this story to a stranger...

its like the hallmark channel version of a bronx tale

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I can't believe how many sailors post here

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

JoelJoel posted:

These are good things to know. It's a stern lesson and you should bow to their nautical knowledge. It could prove to be a real lifesaver one day.

Thanks for keeping me on an even keel.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

He wasn't unsure about how spöd is pronounced, he was unsure about how spoede was pronounced. I'm putting my money on "spayed."

Also that's not how Roman Numerals work.

The oe is the ö

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Lightly squeeze the bag as you push the straw in.

Also solid advice for sounding

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Isnt it on like every tube of toothpaste as well as instructions from the ADA not to drink or rinse for at least 2 minutes? What did you people do in the bathroom before smartphones

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

its called tuesday because it is the second day of the week

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm suddenly questioning all the encounters with people that seemed to know me really well for strangers

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Little Richard's brother, Big Richard

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I only just learned Joe Rogan was the fear factor guy. I had no idea why he was popular or where came from.

I only knew him as the fear factor guy and was confused for years why he kept showing up in things and ufc and had no idea why he was so popular.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

House of pain is not from boston but from california

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I was checking to make sure I was using precipitation correctly in an email (doing X will [hastily bring about] Y) and suddenly I realized /why/ it is called precipitation heat treatment. (The speeds involved with heating and cooling and the effects specifically related to this meaning of precipitate)

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

fizzymercury posted:

I think I'm figuring out that linguistics nerds really are literally the very worst kind of nerd.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

A greek danish is baklava

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Dross posted:

Oh man literally every parody song was Weird Al.

The best thing was the Kazaa days when broadband speeds were still like 1 megabit down and 256K up, and you’d spend all day downloading a movie and it would be the wrong one.

Black sheep lol

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

Oh my GOD last week I was trying to pull apart a mozzarella cheese stick package, the kind that is like a slim Jim, and I spent a real five minutes trying to tear it in half at the top before I accidentally applied just a little force to the front face and found out the whole thing was seamed to open that way.

bite the side about half way down with your canine then pull down and rip it open. remove cheese easily and enjoy.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

credburn posted:

Red Hot Chili Peppers has a lot of really good songs and it is really narrow-minded to speak so broadly about a band whose oeuvre encompasses a wide spectrum of styles and themes, not to mention actual generations between now and when they started. Their old stuff sounds nothing like their new stuff; I personally don't like much of the new stuff, except I really did like that one song that was on Californication but wasn't Californication and wasn't Scar Tissue :\

Edit: by "new stuff" I mean Californication and on. jfc I'm showing my age and curmudgeonry.

Almost nothing pre californication gets played tho so they're really easy to hate until one of "their" good songs comes on

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Liam Lynch and David Lynch are different people

Whatever

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Scaramouche posted:

I blame Chef Brian

Yeah I seem to recall it first from the random word vomit Ctrl alt del comics

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

The dutch weren't English, it is a Mid-Atlantic state

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Phy posted:

His real name was Bob Einstein

His brother is Albert Brooks, who used a stage last name for what I hope are obvious reasons

Amazing lol

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

The "Golden Ratio" is in fact, an irrational number.

stubborn as a mule too

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Eagerly awaiting the day I can post I finally figured out high school math

What the gently caress is an imaginary number

ThreEve

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

DrBouvenstein posted:

I might have just used the term "throwing" myself when being a silly little goose to my girlfriend. My friends and I have a gaming night, and I jokingly said we were "throwing bones" when she once asked me what games we play. I also made a craps-throwing motion.

She then corrected me that "bones" are dominos, not dice.

"Throw them bows" Ludacris - southern hospitality

Referring to elbows

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Tough titties makes it hard to nurse and without proper nutrition immediately and continuously after being born the farm animals die

See also: sucking hind tit

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Countries are just scaled up company towns

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

"High noon" (midday) isn't when the sun is at it's highest point in the sky, actual solar noon very rarely falls exactly on 12:00 and during some parts of the year in some parts of the world there might be more than an hour's difference between the two. It also occurs on a slightly different time every day

Not sure what you mean by "isn't when the sun is at its highest point" because that is exactly what it is. Its called "HIGH noon" because the sun is the highest and the shadows are the shortest.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

credburn posted:

I've asked three different people what the hell a "love language" is and I've gotten three very different responses. The term is definitely popular, but I didn't know it came from a book and I bet the three people I know who regularly use this term don't know it came from a book either.

The only podcast I've ever listened to is/was called books that kill iirc and they had a whole episode on the love language book and I found it very enjoyable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Pneub posted:

The titles of the Rambo movies are, in order:

First Blood

Rambo: First Blood pt 2

Rambo III

Rambo

Rambo: Last Blood

Ftfy