Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

SirSlarty posted:

It's based on Dance of the Cygnets from Swan Lake by Tchaikovsky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIC0nm4nrI8

Ah. Well, I guess I was right the first time, then. And I guess that's why it's called "Swan's Splashdown", too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I don't understand FYAD and I don't understand Twitter. Or Instagram, or Snapchat.

Get off my fuckin' lawn.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

purple death ray posted:

Considering you are posting on the internet while apparently being baffled by like most of it, maybe you are the one on the wrong lawn

It was supposed to be self-deprecating, dude.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Bogan King posted:

Thankfully here in :australia: we're quite comfortable being open with our racism so don't need dog whistles like that.

You're kidding, right? The refugee issue is nothing but dog-whisle politics. Has been since Howard.

Though, to be fair, it seems like the bigots are becoming more open about it in recent times.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Hirayuki posted:

What do you consider "middle"? It starts in September in the States, April in Japan. That's quite a spread.

"Not January or February"

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Besesoth posted:

The US doesn't have official fixed dates for the beginning of seasons, period; the common understanding of seasons beginning on the solstices and equinoxes is drawn from astrology. The period between the June solstice and the September equinox is referred to as "summer" in astronomy for convenience, and likewise September-December as "autumn", etc., and as astrology (that is, tacky dollar-store knock-off astronomy) gained popularity in the 60s, so did its seasonal definitions.

Likewise, June 1-August 31 "summer", etc. are meteorological conveniences.

Before the 20th century we'd have been laughed at for saying summer begins in June; the traditional holiday three weeks into June is Midsummer, after all.

But astrology aside, aren't the equinoxes the actual points in our orbit around the sun where the northern and southern hemisphere are getting the same amount of light, and the one is going to get colder and the other warmer? It makes far more sense to me to define the seasons by that. And I'm Australian

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Memento posted:

Equinoxes and solstices are just to do with the length of the day. Equi-nox = equal night. Sol-stice = sun still (the sun's declination appears to stay in place instead of getting lower or higher, like it had been for the last three months).
Right, but think about why the length of the day is the way it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equinox posted:

An equinox is the moment in which the plane of Earth's equator passes through the center of the Sun's disk,[2] which occurs twice each year, around 20 March and 23 September.

On an equinox, day and night are of approximately equal duration all over the planet. They are not exactly equal, however, due to the angular size of the sun and atmospheric refraction. To avoid this ambiguity, the word equilux is sometimes (but rarely) used to mean a day in which the durations of light and darkness are equal.[3][note 1] See Length of equinoctial day and night for further discussion.

Besesoth posted:

Sure, but that's what I mean by an "astronomical convenience"; I'm not sure how much sense it makes in the everyday world to define "summer" as "the part of the year when it starts getting colder and darker". ;)

Huh? No, I'd call that "mid autumn". I'd go with the solstices and equinoxes being the middles of their seasons.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

purple death ray posted:

This is fuckin shameful

It's not shameful. It's incredible

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

bewilderment posted:

The USA has the concept of the 'pickup truck':

But does not have a popular concept of a 'ute', more common in Australia and New Zealand, a more compact vehicle:

Wait. "Pickup truck" isn't simply American for "ute"?

e: I'd call both those vehicles "utes"

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Intoluene posted:

There is actually a difference and it's mostly about how the chassis is constructed. The ute is based on a standard car chassis while a pick up has a truck body with the passenger cab and tray bolted to the base.

Wait... what's a truck, though? I know we have this conversation like every week, but I can't remember. "Truck" to me means what I think Americans call a "semi trailer", which obviously isn't what you're talking about.

A van?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

IUG posted:

Pantera did break up and some of the members did form another band called "Damageplan". They had one album out and toured. This is when Dimebag Darrel was killed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damageplan

" 'Was killed?' A guy called 'Dimebag' didn't die of a drug overdose? What's Wikipedia say?..."

Wikipedia posted:

On December 8, 2004, 34 dates into the Devastation Across The Nation tour[19], Abbott was shot on-stage while performing with Damageplan at the Alrosa Villa in Columbus, Ohio. A crowd of approximately 250 had watched four support acts (two local bands entitled Volume Dealer and 12 Gauge[20], and the tour support Shadows Fall and The Haunted,) when moments into Damageplan's set, 25-year-old former Marine Nathan Gale shot Abbott five times in the head with a 9 mm Beretta 92FS pistol, killing him instantly. Some in attendance initially believed the shooting was part of the act, but as Gale continued shooting, the audience quickly came to the realization that the event was not staged. Firing a total of 15 shots, Gale killed four other people and wounded seven more.

Jeff "Mayhem" Thompson, the band's head of security, was killed tackling Gale, as was Alrosa Villa employee Erin Halk. Audience member Nathan Bray was killed while trying to perform CPR on Abbott and Thompson. It was rumored that one crowd member leapt in front of the gunman, saving the lives of several band members.[21] Damageplan's drum technician, John "Kat" Brooks, was shot three times as he attempted to disarm Gale, but was overpowered and taken hostage in a headlock hold. Tour manager Chris Paluska was also injured.

Responding within three minutes to a dispatch call made at 10:15pm, seven police officers entered through the front entrance and moved toward the stage. Officer James Niggemeyer came in through the back door, behind the stage. Gale only saw the officers in front of the stage; he did not see Niggemeyer, who was armed with a 12 gauge Remington 870 shotgun. Niggemeyer approached Gale from the opposite side of the stage past a group of security guards, and saw Gale lift his gun to Brooks' head, and fired a single shot as Gale noticed him. Gale was struck in the face with eight of the nine buckshot pellets and killed instantly. Gale was found to have had 35 rounds of ammunition remaining.[22]

Holy poo poo :stare: . That reads like an action movie script. Funny name aside, that cop nailed the guy in the head while he had a hostage in headlock, using a shotgun.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Ferrule posted:

You all do realize "ute" is short for "utility", right? As in "utility vehicle". So any sort of vehicle used with that generic purpose would be called a ute.

I know the etymology. I have never heard anyone call a vehicle a "ute" that wasn't a car sized thing with a tray at the back.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

ladron posted:

fu australia no need to get salty just because no one wants to use your stupid made up words

Call them what you like in your own countries, but if you want to sell them here then they're utes :australia:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Bringing up an old topic, but I just found out that in countries that use the solstices to define the seasons they use them to mark the START of the season. Why? That doesn't make a lick of sense to me. Surely the winter solstice, when the night is longest, should be the exact MIDDLE of winter? At the winter solstice, that hemisphere is getting the least amount of light in 24 hours it's ever going to get in that year, so it follows it should be as cold as it's going to get and about to start getting warmer. That would be the middle of winter, surely? Isn't midwinter meant to be the coldest, and midsummer the hottest?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Ein cooler Typ posted:

are you a foreigner? how do they mark seasons in your country?

I'm not a foreigner. You're a foreigner :colbert:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Yes Dec 22nd is the coldest part of the year, surely. Weather and temperature are 100% to do with the amount of sunlight, to the day, with no thermal carryover.

Except when it's actually February.
Well, fair enough. Here, the hottest is usually February, which is the tail end of summer.

Okay, yes, there's a lot more to weather than just how much sun you're getting. But which end of the Earth is getting more sun is indeed the reason for seasons, and so it makes the most sense to me to use that.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Mike Patton isn't the guy named Mike from Linkin Park. That's Mike Shinoda. Different Mikes altogether.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Antivehicular posted:

I want to live in the universe where Coldplay is a Pantera side project.

Or vice versa, really.

Surely there has to be a mashup or two out there

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Just put ArtIsResistance on ignore and move on. Apparently I already had, and my decision was justified.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I think it depends how you're taught. I was pretty sure "living things" was divided into "plants, animals and insects" for a long time.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Memento posted:

Also, fish farms are spectacularly bad for the environment. It takes more fish used as feed to raise a fish than you get out of it, so you're still depleting stocks. It also introduces all sorts of foreign things into the environment, like antibiotics and pesticides. You can't separate fish farms from the open ocean because you need a way to get rid of the waste from the fish.

The CSIRO came up with microbe-based prawn food, but even then they only say it "reduces" the amount of wild fish you need to feed the prawns. And obviously that's only for prawns, not fish.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Chametz is leavened grain, not just grain :colbert: .

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

bongwizzard posted:

I would've gone with "I laid an egg in your mom last night, now what motherfucker?"

But yours was OK too.

That was nice of you to donate eggs so that that goon's mom could get IVF!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

ladron posted:

sounds kinda like your dad just likes killing folks

Who doesn't?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I have a rice cooker, that I use pretty frequently. I always struggled with dividing up the cooked rice evenly, though, when I made a big batch of food and wanted to freeze it with rice. Like, it's easy enough to divide it into quarters when I made four meals' worth, just by splitting the rice in half and half again, but not as easy when making six meals' worth or whatever.

I worked out ages ago that one scoop of uncooked rice makes about two portions of cooked rice (when put with other food, like stew or whatever). It JUST occurred to me - like last night - that I can just use the scoop again, and that two scoops of cooked rice will be the amount I want.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

purple death ray posted:

Also any dude running around named Josh is actually named after Jesus

No, that guy running around being Jesus was actually named after Josh!

"Joshua" is a Jewish name. It's "Yehoshua" in Hebrew. There's an entire book of the Old Testament called Joshua, after the main character.

A thousand years after that, some Jewish heretic with the same name gets told on by the Jewish religious authorities, becomes a martyr, and a splinter faction of Judaism forms. Two thousand years later it's still going and that Josh is popularly known by the Anglicised version of the Greek version of his name, but meanwhile Orthodox Jews still name their kids Joshua after Joshua.

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 09:35 on Sep 7, 2017

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

poly and open-minded posted:

dont tell the Koreans that (because it's wrong, the war is ongoing)

Fine, if you want to split hairs: the show lasted longer than the period between the commencement of hostilities and the truce & creation of the demilitarised zone.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

There's a bit in the Overwatch background story where the government gives the robots some land in "the outback" to appease them, but the folks that live in "the outback" get pissed off and form a rebellion.

Yeah, nah. The outback is mostly a whole expanse of sweet gently caress all, and nobody would care or even notice.

e:

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 08:48 on Oct 13, 2017

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

bewilderment posted:

Well, better late...
I didn't like this joke the first time, because for me "lever" doesn't rhyme with "never", it rhymes with "beaver".

Wait, Caroma is an Australian brand? Holy poo poo! (no pun intended).

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

As a kid, I used to wonder why some analogue watches have marks instead of numbers, and figured it was just a stylistic choice. The other day, I realised that it makes sense from a design point of view, too, since the marks represent both hours and minutes. The numbers are only useful if you're looking at the hours hand, so it kind of makes sense to not have them at all.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Organza Quiz posted:

It probably had its own name before we decided it was our special origin myth place.

Surprisingly enough, the Turks were apparently quite willing to help it be our origin myth place, though. There's this monument there, which I find really moving:

(Ataturk is, to my knowledge, the father of the modern Turkish state as an entity distinct from the ancient Ottoman Empire and, I believe, a hero figure in Turkey).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANZAC_Cove says the Turkish government officially declared it ANZAC Cove in 1985. I haven't managed to find a former name for it.

My point is, I don't think it's actually a case of us unilaterally deciding to rename some piece of foreign land for our national origin myth, but rather them actually being quite happy to participate in that national origin myth too. I don't know why, though. My guess is a lot has to do with the Ottoman Empire - the enemies of the ANZACs - ceasing to be after WW1 and being replaced by successor states like modern Turkey, but I don't know details...

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

"A little help from my friends" by The Beatles is not the same song as "Lean on me" by Bill Withers, even if the subject matter is similar and they were both covered by Joe Cocker.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Supertramp and Pink Floyd are different bands.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

You call each writing implement, individually, a (whatever coloured) Floyd.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

rydiafan posted:

My dad taught me Red, Right, Returning so I wouldn't run aground coming into port at night. But that referred to the harbor lights, not the ship's.

If it's yella, that's juice you got there, fella!
If it's brown, you're in cider town!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

"Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine" was hot, squirty garbage. "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis" was good, though.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Memento posted:

Did Fate of Atlantis have voice acting or have I populated my own memories of it with spoken version of the lines I read?

The CD version did, yeah. The floppy disk version didn't. Same as all the old Lucasarts adventure games.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Apparently Jimmy Buffett is not Jimmy Hoffa.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I dunno. My sister was telling me something the other day about this musician called Jimmy Buffett, and I was like "wait... isn't that that union guy who disappeared in mysterious circumstances a long time ago?"

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Turpitude II posted:

Rosanne Barr and Rosie O'Donnell are also different people.

Wait, what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Henchman of Santa posted:

They’re both heavy set brunette comedians from the late 80s/90s with similar names. They may have opposing world views but that’s not that weird.

No, I mean "wait what they're two separate people?"