Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Captain Splendid posted:

I actually learnt this about a year ago but whatever:

Unlike how it was explained to me when I was young, a plane doesn't create a single sonic boom at the instant it breaks the sound barrier.

There's a sonic boom following it for the entire time it's flying supersonic, hitting everything for 20HP damage.

Oh wow, that makes sense but something I never considered. If it is just breaking the sound barrier, is the sonic boom quieter than if it was +100 mph greater than the sound barrier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

HE WAS ACTUALLY PLAYING DOKI DOKI PANIC BECAUSE FIDDLES HADNT BEEN KNVENTED YET!.!?!?

Help me can't believe I just figured out what you're talking about.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Snowy posted:

What was the twist and shout confusion referenced in the thread title?

That rock and roll is code for fuckin
That dancing is code for fuckin
That song lyrics are code for fuckin

edit: or just sex stuff

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also quicksand. :tinfoil:

Holy poo poo I haven't really thought of quicksand in a while. That played a part in every cartoon / video game for most of the 80s and 90s. To this day I've never actually looked up what it is.

Okay, I've looked it up and it seems mostly harmless. What a let down.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I just learned that this quirky autistic kid whose website (blog?) I used to read in 2000 or something went on to become like an Internet celebrity. I've heard the name "Ulililia" before, but I never realized that was this person. I feel like I've bridged a twenty year gap in my head. I think I first learned about him from these forums, too.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Hyperlynx posted:

Just your run-of-the-mill "mentally ill guy does some weird stuff on the internet and early SA and its offshoots bully/mock him relentlessly".

Is he "mentally ill" or does he just have autism?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Platystemon posted:

“Silhouette” is a roast of an eighteen century French minister.

The idea was something like “this dude’s policies blow so hard that this is the only artwork we can afford”.

It’s like if people started calling hoverboards “Powellmobiles” because “they only have one wheel LOL” and the name stuck two and a half centuries later.

Do we have hoverboards?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

for fucks sake posted:

There's a guy who does Trials tutorial videos called Fat Shady. It is a play on "Slim Shady".

Kind of a lazy play on words. I'd say he should have gone full opposite but I can't really think of what the opposite of "shady" is. Sunny?

In middle school, my social studies teacher used to read us riddles that featured this character called Slim Shady. That same year Eminem became real famous with "My Name Is..." and I assumed for years that Eminem's Slim Shady thing was a reference to these dumbass riddles.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm glad two other people got it but there's a lot of people in here making Epic mistakes.

I just don't have faith in those people no more.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Everyone I know who's gotten a DUI has their version of the story that is almost certainly altered to make them appear a victim, but never something so weird as getting a DUI while walking to the car? Although one of my friends claims that a year or two before we met, he got a DUI but was able to fight it in court because he doesn't drink.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Pneub posted:

Bob Barker's 98 years old, and, relatedly, didn't die like 10 years ago.

A hero for vegans like me.
A villain for people like me who don't like powerful white men creating an immensely toxic environment for every person who works with them but especially women who are subject daily to his toxic behavior and

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
The Bob Barker Company supplies prison with overpriced prison soap and shampoo, also. If you've ever served a prison sentence, you absolutely have used their products.

https://www.bobbarker.com/history

Not related to the Price is Right guy.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

The Moon Monster posted:

When non-goons mention Johnny 5 they're not talking about Johnny Five Aces :eek:

When goons mention Johnny 5 they're not talking about whatever Johnny Face Ace is.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I've always vaguely wondered why sandwich boards are called that, and assumed it had some tradition associated with sandwich shops or something. I just never gave it much thought, but today I saw a sandwich board and I thought to myself, "why do they call it a sandwich board?" and then it was real obvious. It folds up like um, two pieces of bread, uh... well, okay, now wait. Is that why they call it that? Because it's barely a sandwich. It's more like a book. They should call them bookboards. Or hotdogbunboards, since hotdog buns usually are connected at the spine.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Tree Bucket posted:

I distinctly remember an uncle pointing at Sirius and declaring "see that there? That's the evening star. It's actually Jupiter."
Thanks Uncle Geoff

I have an Uncle Geoff also spelled correctly!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

moonmazed posted:

if you wear it, your body is the meat

Stuff I Can't Believe I Just Figured Out: The sandwich boards outside shops and the sandwich boards people wear are the same thing

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Wait but when I go see a dog race it's nothing but greyhounds. Am I missing something?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A decade ago when I was under the instruction of an artist who was teaching a small class how to do art, he frequently used terms like Mongoloids, Negroids and Caucasoids when referring to the three different types of humans. Felt kind of weird, but I went with it; I figured he knew more about this sort of thing than I did. Ugh

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I understand that "monkey cheese" is shorthand for that kind of random comedy that was really popular in the 00s. Didn't realize until now it's a reference to an actual cartoon, created by James Rolfe. Makes perfect sense. Ugh, I hope that guy didn't turn out to be a huge poo poo; I haven't paid any attention to him in quite a while but I recall reading that he was a really decent guy.

Random rear end anecdote: I bumped into him at the Portland Retro Games Expo a year or two before COVID. Literally bumped into him, we apologized to each other, and I said I recognized him from somewhere. He asked if I could remember where, and I couldn't, and we started a short kind of banter, but before we could talk more, a dozen folks identified him and swarmed us, begging for selfies. It was kind of unfortunate; he was clearly on his way out when we collided, but he was super gracious and happy to stop what he was doing to take selfies and sign things.

credburn has a new favorite as of 00:24 on Sep 5, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

The Moon Monster posted:

I don't think there was a singular progenitor of monkey cheese humor, I'd assume the term was coined by an observer to describe it.

I remember "purple monkey dishwasher" being a funny thing, but can't remember where it came from. Simpsons?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Bargearse posted:

No, I refuse to believe that Ctrl-Alt-Del could be that influential.

It was influential in creating the biggest you-had-to-be-there reference that has ever existed.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
You guys know that electronic techno song "Sandstorm"?

It's a song I've heard three or four times in my entire life? I feel like it's a bit of trivia that I know what it's called, like an obscure factoid I've held on to for when an occasion comes up and I can say, 'You know, this song is called "Sandstorm."' I don't even know where I first heard it or why I know what it's called. But apparently everybody is extremely familiar with this song. Why? Looking it up on wikipedia, the song is from 1999, which is a bit newer than I thought -- though I remember vaguely hearing it while I played PS1 games, which made me think it was on a Wipeout soundtrack but it's not. Wikipedia also says:

quote:

As an April Fools' Day joke on 1 April 2015, YouTube displayed the message "Did you mean: Darude – Sandstorm by Darude" for all video search queries that involve music, in addition to adding a button which played the song during a video

Is this why?

A friend who is four years younger than me (graduating class of uhhh 2005 or 2006 I guess) said they played it during school dances. Maybe it's just a popular song :confused:

edit: I guess if I don't go to school dances, sporting events, Reddit or YouTube I put myself ten years behind the zeitgeist. Most of my life these forums have existed as my primary and often singular social outlet. I don't engage much with YouTube or Reddit at all. It's just surprising to me that Sandstorm is completely absent in some circles, but ubiquitous in others and I would have assumed that even as isolated as I can be, most of the time trending ideas and sound bytes still find their way to me but for some reason this song didn't.

credburn has a new favorite as of 23:12 on Oct 9, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Captain Splendid posted:

The app icon on my phone for the clock displays the correct time.

On my phone, the icon for the Clock app is the only part of the app containing a clock. Within the Clock app, there are timers, alarms, other things, but no clock.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Brawnfire posted:

cave [...] craves

You can do better than this.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
The studio recording of Bob Seger's "Turn the Page" sounds real bland and lifeless.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Is there a word for what I interpret as a "gypsy" (traveling hippies who generally live on the road but for set up camp in the forest and they do performance stuff like fortune telling, juggling, etc. but also who are kind of goblinlike in attitude and expression, and yes will buy misbehaved children) that isn't tied to racism? I don't think what I think of as a gypsy as being at all what the slur is tied to.

It's rather like hearing that Doug is actually a super racist term and like can't we just rename it Skeeter's Pal and be alright with it?

gently caress Skeeter sounds real sketchy to my ears now too

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I listen to a lot of podcasts and the term "inside baseball" is used all the time. Frequently whenever the podcast hosts start talking about something perhaps a little too in-depth, they will say, "We're getting a little inside baseball here" or something like that. All this time I assumed there was some popular show about baseball called Inside Baseball and this was a reference to that somehow, but it just comes from 1950s political slang.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
The very first grown-up novel I read was The Door Into Summer. I remember having to write a book report, and most of the kids were doing like sixth grade level poo poo, but Starship Troopers the film came out and the book was by my favorite author so like ten year-old me or whatever age you are in sixth grade, I'm like gently caress yeah this is going to be rad! And like, the first chapter is really rad! And then... --space-fascism and military wank essay

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Trabant posted:

^ I see someone just watched Adam Savage's latest video.

Fuckin called out

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I don't know if this is something "I can't believe I just figured out" but we don't have like a "today I learned this neat thing" thread, do we?

Anyway, I work as a cashier at a 7-11, and this dude asks for a "glizzy." I ask him to repeat it, he does, I tell him I don't think we have that here, he gets very annoyed and says motherfucker I'm looking right at them. So I assume he's talking about the like honey buns or something in front of the counter, you know, because they're like glazed or whatever, but after another couple misunderstandings he violently informed me that a "glizzy" is a hot dog and "everyone loving knows this."

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Friend posted:

Also I just realized why some posts say "this user has a new favorite." It never clicked for me that I only saw it in PYF threads :doh:

What are you talking about?

Powered Descent posted:

Edit this post and then look at it again.

:doh:

credburn has a new favorite as of 02:12 on Nov 17, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

101 kind of looks like 'lol' pls no probation

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Names are names, it doesn't matter what they're derived from. Joshua isn't the same name as Jesus. Your name doesn't just switch to a different variation when you enter another country, although for convenience sake I realize a ton of people do this anyway. I (a white guy) had a Mexican neighbor who introduced himself to me as "Mike" and for a long time I called him Mike until I met his friends and family, all of whom called him Miguel.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Phosphine posted:

Also we called Beijing "Peking".

Well I just learned Peking and Beijing are the same place.

Unrelated new information I just learned, after reading posts in a different thread from nine months ago: the pejorative human being doesn't come from the Bible. Its etymology is all over the place with a lot of conjecture but nowhere do I see does it come from the Bible. When I was twelve or thirteen, I joined the Mormon church for a year or so, and I definitely remember the bishop (the main church guy in a Mormon church; like a pastor or priest, I guess) telling us that homosexuals are called "faggots" because God looks at them as bundles of sticks to be burned in the fires of hell. He absolutely quoted scripture, either from the Bible or the Book of Mormon or that weird book they have about a pearl. It made perfect sense at the time: gays go to hell, faggots burn, therefore faggots = gays. But it doesn't; it's not even in the Bible at all. It's not even in the goddamn Book of Mormon. This guy just made it all up, and I believed it for twenty-five years.

Edit: for clarity I should just say that Mormons don't generally subscribe to the traditional firey-hell thing. Hell for Mormons is just living forever but without God's love, whatever that means. The fires and burning lake stuff is just for theatrics but is not meant to be literal.

Edit 2: or at least that's what the bishop explained to me, this bishop full of lies

credburn has a new favorite as of 18:30 on Nov 21, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Dewgy posted:

Little jokes dragging this game down that took me way too long to get:

Hedy Lamarr! She’s a headcrab!

Well eighteen year-old me wouldn't have gotten it but thirty-eight year-old me would have chuckled.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Having never seen a joy buzzer, I fully believed that if you used it on someone they would get an electric shock. I've learned that it only just sort of vibrates. I have been tricked with a pen that shocks you before so I thought it was totally plausible.

My grandfather had one from when he was a kid and it was the dumbest thing. First of all, the fuckin thing was so big that you couldn't possibly hide it unless the guy shaking your hand did not look down at all. And the little button that has to be plunged to cause the vibration was so small and hard, that it only would work if it were pressed against the bone in your hand; the soft tissue couldn't possibly push the button down in a normal handshake.

When it did work it vibrated hard though, and since it was pressed so hard against my hand bone it really hurt.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Carthag Tuek posted:

i mean i rarely look at peoples hands to coordinate the hand-shaking (actually that is a lie, im naturally awkward, but i imagine most people dont really look & just use peripheral vision). so if you go in fast, which was probably more common in the olden days when shaking hands was basically mandatory, and hard to establish dominance & get the button pressed, the poke and the buzz would synergize and give people an actual scare?

Yeah, and I guess when I think of how important it was to have a strong, manly handshake back then, the button-pushing thing seems a lot more plausible.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

hawowanlawow posted:

kid gloves are literally gloves made from soft kid leather

That horrible!

Soft kids have it bad enough :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Whilst typing up a long rant in another thread, in my heated fury I accidentally hit the wrong button and learned that I can just like insert emojis into anything? 😍💖🐱‍💻🎁🍞🧵💓💓❤🛐👩‍🦱

(windows key + .)

credburn has a new favorite as of 04:18 on Dec 10, 2022