Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

IUG posted:

I assume you're talking about David Bowie, and just had a keyboard malfunction of some kind.

I was sorting my music and didn't know if I should file Bowie under B for his "last name" or if I should have done D since it's a stage name. If he never legally changed his name, I guess I should file him under David.

Popular musician David Bowie had the given name of David Jones. As an aspiring young musician, he took the stage name Bowie to differentiate himself from Davy Jones of the Monkees.

Bowie's son, who was commonly referred to in contemporary press as "Zowie Bowie," has the given name Duncan Jones. Under his given name he has directed the films Moon, Source Code, and Warcraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Fred Breakfast posted:

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and Star Wars both start out with the same music interval, a perfect fifth.

Actually they both start off with the same note played twice, then the fifth.

But so do literally thousands, if not millions of songs.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Fair enough!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
He was imagining a life where his son didn't have such stupid loving ideas about goddamn everything.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
A B C Dad gay so what, H I J K...

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Krankenstyle posted:

the first Die Hard which was originally a sequel to a Frank Sinatra movie

It was then going to be Commando 2!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
"Casket" is a portmanteau of "corpse" and "basket."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Believe it or not, the correct spelling is actually "ruming." Little known fact, an "m" should actually be used whenever there would be two "n"s next to each other. Hence the old name, double-n.

edit: no poo poo I thought half these posts were fake holy poo poo. Restaurateur? Really?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I guess you mean "so the top of the key goes in the direction the bolt goes" unless your bolts rotate into place. There are a couple doors I have to deal with regularly where the lock is installed upside down and you have to turn the key in the opposite direction of what you'd expect, so the bottom moves in the direction of the bolt. Example, lock is on the right side of a door, turning the key counterclockwise moves the bolt rightward into the doorframe.

edit: here's some content that I didn't just make up myself, related to clockwise/counterclockwise: Modern clocks run in the direction they do because that's the direction the shadow moves across a sundial in the Northern hemisphere.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Aphrodite posted:

The "Ye" in Ye Olde is just pronounced "The".

Yeah, it was just written as þe and people were like "I guess that's a Y, close enough. Ye it is."

Baron von Eevl has a new favorite as of 01:29 on May 12, 2018

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Organza Quiz posted:

One could say "why does a couple need to mean two when we already have the word two?" though. I think I tend to use couple when it's probably two but I don't know for sure or I don't care too much about the real amount. Like "it happened a couple of years ago" or "pass me a couple of chips". Maybe it was three years, I'm not gonna be mad if you pass me four chips, but the intent was two.

Yeah, it's like a soft 2, or twoish.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My wife's been watching that show and I had to explain that joke to her. She didn't care.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Pffft you got it all wrong, it's thirty thieves and the thunder chief!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm trying to come up with a reference in the movie less subtle than that as a joke, but I'm having trouble.

Scream is really good though, so let's all just watch it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, it's aggressively '90s. I still contend that the broadcast delay being exactly how long it takes to walk to the van is a wonderful conceit to have in a horror movie.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Xenoletum posted:

Unless Davey Havok has done some horrible poo poo too.

In highschool I saw AFI when they were coheadlining Warped with Me First. Me First came out and they said some poo poo about there being a mixup in the dressing room and they were all wearing fishnet shirts and leather pants and carrying broken parasols and poo poo. They do the whole set like that. Good time.

AFI comes out wearing Hawaiian shirts and Davey immediately says "we're never doing this again" all grumpy and they all take off the Hawaiian shirts. They're all wearing fishnet shirts or whatever underneath. Total buzzkill.

So what has Davey Havok done? He's taken himself far too seriously. For someone playing in a gothy pop punk band in their 40s, that's a serious offense.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Chillbro Baggins posted:

That's usually how an umluat is transliterated in English, yes. CF u-Boat Admiral Dönitz's name is pronounced in English as "Durnits" or "Donuts" when actually it's halfway between, a vowel native English speakers can't quite get right. I assume "spöd" is the same and is halfway between the American colloquial word for taters and "sperd," phonetically.

Edit: I often go to south Louisiana for work, snd every time have to explain to my copilot that "Rue Lois IV" is French for "Louis the 14th's street."

He wasn't unsure about how spöd is pronounced, he was unsure about how spoede was pronounced. I'm putting my money on "spayed."

Also that's not how Roman Numerals work.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I had always assumed SEGA was a Japanese-founded company with a Japanese name since the name's an easy transliteration from Japanese. Turns out it started as an American company's operations in Japan to build amusements for US service members serving overseas. After a Japanese concern bought out Service Games they shortened the name to SeGa.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I used to go to a burrito place that had a loyalty card, 10th burrito is free sort of thing. One day I look down and I see the hole punch they use is shaped like a tiny donkey. "Oh a burro," I think to myself. "A tiny burro. More like a bu... oh."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
A drawing room however was definitely not a room for sketches and doodles, it was a room that guests would withdraw to after a meal

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Jerry Cotton posted:

(And never read anything by Bill Bryson because literally nothing he says about anything can be taken to be true. Usually it isn't.)

He was right that Australia is super racist.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Trust me, the language is plenty racist too.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Once upon a time, saying the name of that episode or alluding to it would lead to pages of people posting "BIFF MCROCKGROIN" and "MEAT MANCHEST"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Of course Santa's a religious icon, just not that religion.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Reminds me of the whole business with The Rabbit Joint's Zelda song

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Henchman of Santa posted:

He's a big System of a Down fan and people throw Mr. Bungle comparisons at them a lot.

Hot take: Serj is a better and more interesting singer than Mike.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I remember Epic.

I don't, what is it?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
From my understanding the first syllable is somewhere between "sair" and "seer," but like many Irish vowels it's a vowel sound we don't really have in English.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Milo and POTUS posted:

I assumed that springfield isotopes was edited or was some sort of code

I think it was just an arbitrary post they could grab. My guess is the thread with the offending post had already been gassed and once a thread is gassed you can no longer cause a ban from one of those posts, because Radium.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
"HI Glenn, I'm Bill. Nice to meet you."
"Gonna take your daughter out tonight, gonna show her my world!"
"Uh, okay? Just please be back by eleven."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Now I wanna see a movie where a non-profit hires a death squad to take out a giant multinational conglomerate.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

christmas boots posted:

Yeah, it's literally this. Disney will extend copyright until the heat death of the universe while slowly absorbing all intellectual property.

I definitely think Disney is going to do everything in their power to do this and especially hold on to the mouse, but I also think the reason they're buying up every franchise in existence is because they understand there's a very good chance they're going to lose Mickey and all of Walt's creations fairly soon. I think we're going to see them moving further away from using Mickey as their main branding, even if they hold on to the 3 circles from his silhouette as a trademark.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Hyperlynx posted:

I learned, this morning, that "frown" means different things in different varieties of English. In your variety, "frowning" is bending down the corners of your mouth. In my variety, "frowning" is furrowing your eyebrows.

I must say, a lot of references suddenly make sense. "Turn that frown upside down" not least of which.

edit:
that word is "furrowing" not "frowning"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

My grandma from West Virginia warshed everything.

Also: not only “pellow”, but “melk” :argh:

My wife and one of her highschool friends say "melk" but nobody else I know does. We grew up like 3 miles apart and went to the same highschool.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Alternative pants posted:

We also played a piece later that year called Godzilla destroys Las Vegas, so it was pretty hit or miss with music selections at my school.

My college concert band did that piece, the percussion parts are fun because it has you running back and forth between different instruments like you're operating artillery.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Dr Christmas posted:

Liza Minnelli is Judy Garland's daughter.

Now go and listen to Loudon Wainright's song Liza.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Enya and Enigma are one and the same; any attempt to tell me they are actually two separate entities will be perceived as lies and heresy. Or not, I don’t really care that much as to put up a fuss over it.

Enya and Enigma are actually the same person, they are Gethenian and when female-presenting they perform and record as Enya; when male-presenting they perform as Enigma.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Hipster_Doofus posted:

drat you for making me look that up.

Left Hand Of Darkness is one of the best science fiction novels ever written and a pillar of feminist literature, fight me.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Celine Dion is the face Enya wears when she wants to wear the wicked face of pride or the face of mourning.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

mostlygray posted:

Wait until you see the states that have really complicated sales tax on drinks. Tea=no tax, sweet tea=tax, soda=tax, diet soda=tax (it's still soda), orange juice= no tax (healthy) milk=no tax (healthy).

Wendy's Frosty=no tax.

You see, a Frosty has milk and is therefore healthy. No tax.

In Philly the tax is generally applied to packaged products with added sweeteners, so coffee isn't taxed, but a Starbucks bottled frappuccino is. I think going into a Starbucks and getting them to make you a prepared drink (like a frappucino) is taxed as would any other food that they're preparing for you, but I'm pretty sure it's the standard sales tax and not the insanely high tax they're putting on soda et al. This is just in city limits too, outside the city there is no specific soda tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Friend posted:

Kiwi birds are the size of chickens. I always thought they were like, the size of a coffee mug.

I guess cartoons made me think they were tiny and I just never realized the scale when I saw a photo of one.

I think I had always just assumed they were the size of kiwi fruit.